Thai Bank a bit scary

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
Bump
udonmap.com

Thai Bank a bit scary

Post by Bump » May 24, 2007, 7:32 pm

I don't how many of you watch the english broadcast of the evening news here. Anyway they had an interesting story about a problem a Thai lady was having with her bank. I tried to confirm the story in the Nation or the Bangkok Post, but nothing there.

A bit confusing as at first they name the Bangkok Bank and later mentioned the Aduyyttaya Bank. anway her goes with what was said.

The Thai lady was missing 250 Miliion baht from her account. They showed her account records and what they showed was 90 mill, to 30 mill disappearing at different times supposedly totaling 250 Mill, missing.

She contacted the bank and was given the standard dog and pony show oh don't worry about it. Finally she had enough, files a complaint with the Police.

Removed the remaining thrity million from the account, in the form of a cashiers checck. That she could not excecute. It seems the bank put a hold on the account because the account holder was involved in suspicious activity. She only had the account for over ten years with the bank. Not such activity until she tried to remove the funds from it. Now this was a Thai lady.

The reason that it really hit home with me, was a friend told me a story of an individual who sold his condo in a tourist area with the thought of returning to the UK and using the money there to sit up a life. That money was placed in the Bangkok Bank. He decided it was time to move to the UK, they refused. saying he could take 20K a day out, again we are talking millions in deposits. Reason given supicious activity in the account.

Seems since he put the proceeds in the account form the sale it was now " dirty money"

Now I dont how the lady got her money, the thing that stands out in my mind in both of these incidents it was not suspious when the deposits were made, only when it came time to withdraw the money.

Personally it would make me think twice about putting significant money in a Thai Bank even for a short period of time.

I also make me wonder if one has placed the 800K in the bank to meet the visa requirements and then decided this isn't the place for him, will there be a problem in taking the funds out when he wants to leave?

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » May 24, 2007, 8:42 pm

Thanks for the heads up on this one, Ray. One case is a fluke, two cases makes me sit up and take notice. And thats the bank I use. :(

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Post by wokkawombat » May 24, 2007, 8:58 pm

I use Bangkok Bank and had no trouble walking in about 2pm, filling out a withdrawal slip and walking out 10 mins later with 700,000 baht in cash. This was in June last year.

John
Gurgle, Gurgle...

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » May 24, 2007, 9:08 pm

wokkawombat wrote:I use Bangkok Bank and had no trouble walking in about 2pm, filling out a withdrawal slip and walking out 10 mins later with 700,000 baht in cash. This was in June last year.

John
Did the same for a car, but no cash, just a transfer at the cost of 400 baht. :(

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » May 24, 2007, 9:44 pm

Good I hope I never hear of another case like this, but the money I don't need won't be in a Thai bank. I pulled 400K out that same bank a few years ago myself when we bought the house. Until this year I go my immigration letters with no problems this year I didn't. There is a new government here now, the banks are being looked at a lot more closely then they were before. Folks this country was miss named, the proper name is the land of Change.

I watch for those changes, but everyone should do what they are comfortable with.

In less then five years I have seen two major changes in immigrations approach. The first the Non O married to a Thai for the annual from 200K to 400K, the second time to enforce the immigrations rules that had been ignored for years.

I have watched a government changed by force. The former Prime Minister under investigation and seeking prosecution.

My neighbor across the street went to get his Thai drivers licence, he had to take the written adn the drivung test, he failed a part of the driving test and ha to retake it. I didn;t have to do any of that for my license. I don't think the wise course here is to aume because something worked one way before that it is going to be the same the next time.

Each time my annual comes up for renewal I go in and ask before hand if there is something I need to do differentally for that year and sometimes there are things that are different. One year I needed a physical that I hadn't needed before. this year I didn't need a physical. Guys have went in with the same bank accounts they have used for years, to be told they had to open new ones without thier wives names on the accounts.

Trust me on this one, this is the Land of Change

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » May 24, 2007, 10:17 pm

Here is just one more little example of change, Thailand is not what it was a year ago. I don't suggest doing the chicken little number the sky is falling. But paying close attention to e what is happening around you might just be a real good idea.

From the Bangkok Post
Cyber clampdown ripped by foreign watchdog

(dpa)
New York-based Human Rights Watch says the military-backed government has undermined Thailand's free political debate with its unprecedented crackdown on Internet critics.

Since the Sept 19 military coup that ousted former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, Thai authorities have launched a censorship campaign of the Internet that has blocked half a dozen websites deemed critical of the current government, said the human rights group in a statement out of New York.

"A major complaint about Thaksin was his muzzling of the media and willingness to limit free speech," said Brad Adams, Asia director at Human Rights Watch. "The military-backed government promised a quick return to democracy, but it's now attacking freedom of expression and political pluralism in ways that Thaksin never dared."

Censorship of the Internet is now being carried out by the Ministry of Information and Communications Technology (MICT) and the Royal Thai Police, in collaboration with the Communications Authority of Thailand (CAT) and the Telecommunication Authority (TOT), which provide Thailand's international internet gateways.

Since the coup, the government has blocked at least five websites on charges of threatening national security, disrupting public order, or being obscene, including the September 19 Network (www.19sep.net and www.19sep.org), the pro-Thaksin PTV television (www.ptvthai.com), the online broadcast of Saturday Voice (www.saturdaylive.org and saturdayvoice.no-ip.info) and the online broadcast of FM 87.75 Taxi Community Radio (www.shinawatradio.com).

While these websites can still be accessed from abroad, local internet surfers in Thailand will get an "Access Denied" message, and the MICT's logo saying that access to such websites has been blocked due to "inappropriate content."

"The ministry has requested Google Thailand (www.google.co.th) and Google.com to block access to its cached web pages in Thailand by which blocked pages can be accessed, as well as to block by keyword search," added HRW.

The group did not mention Thailand's recent blockage of Google's YouTube.com website after it aired clips that ridiculed Thai an individual Adulyadej, the country's revered monarch who turns 80 this year.

The site was blocked under the country's lese majeste law that makes any criticism of the royal family a crime.

It also did not mention the more recent blocking of the entire Blogspot.com site by some Internet providers acting on the MICT's "request".

Thailand, under the current government, has also passed a law to criminalise the generation, possession, storage, dissemination of and access to prohibited information on the Internet and a Bill on Computer-Related Offenses that empowers the MICT minister to intercept and seize computer data, and seek court warrants to block the dissemination of information on the Internet if such information is considered as a threat to national security.

The two laws, which have yet to be passed, include stiff penalties such as a maximum of five-years imprisonment and fines up to 100,000 baht ($2,700).

"Freedom of expression, including offering opinions on the Internet, is an essential basis of any functioning democracy," said Adams. "Blocking critical websites resembles the behaviour of China and Vietnam. Is this the company that Thailand's leaders want to keep?"

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » May 24, 2007, 10:26 pm

These are the kind of thing I watch, if needed to go to Bangkok I would wait and see how this goes, before scheduling a trip there. Now last year something like this would never have crossed my mind. Right now it is not only the land of change but the land of rapid change. There are huge powee strugles going on at the moment and they do effect what happens in our everyday lives from time to time.
So far no real big deals. Except maybe in the banking industry. I don't know I just watched the news.

From the Bangkok Post
Bangkok emergency rule looms

By Post Reporters
Authorities fear chaos will erupt next Wednesday, when the verdicts in the party dissolution cases are handed down. With the prime minister scheduled to be out of the country, the military would control the situation.

The government is ready to declare an emergency decree in Bangkok, anticipating feared chaos. Defence Minister Boonrawd Somtas said the government has closely examined the situation and concluded that disorder is likely.

Gen Boonrawd expressed confidence that the Council for National Security (CNS) could control the situation during the absence of Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont, who is scheduled to visit China from May 28 to 31.

If there are any untoward incidents, Gen Surayud would immediately fly back to Thailand, he said.

He said an emergency decree would be issued if the situation warrants, but it would be the government and not the CNS that issues it.

It was the duty of police to control the groups of people which are expected to gather in Bangkok to show support for political parties which are facing the threat of dissolution.

Acting national police chief Seripisuth Temiyavej said security measures have been put in place to cope with possible violence on May 29, when individual judges will issue their opinions, and on May 30, when the Constitution Tribunal will issue its formal verdict.

He said police, soldiers and the city administration were joining forces to deal with any incidents during this period.

He urged people to stay at home, as the rulings would be broadcast on radio and television.

Metropolitan police chief Adisorn Nonsee said he did not expect any clashes between opposing sides as the Constitution Court and surrounding area could accommodate only 3,000 to 4,000 people at a time.

He did threaten action against mahouts if they brought their elephants to the city to join the protests, as has been rumoured.

Both the mahouts and their elephants would be arrested, he said.

Pol Lt-Gen Adisorn said five or six companies of police would be dispatched to the venues where demonstrators were expected to gather. All police leave had been cancelled during this period.

CNS chief Sonthi Boonyaratkalin yesterday met local leaders in Nakhon Ratchasima province, in what was seen as a bid to prevent demonstrators from travelling to Bangkok next week.

Speaking to more than 800 village heads and kamnans, Gen Sonthi urged local leaders and residents to unite, to join hands with the military and state agencies to protect the country.

He said he was not worried about reports that northeastern people may join anti-military rallies in Bangkok, saying over 70% of the country's soldiers hailed from the Northeast.

Sophon Supapong, a member of the National Legislative Assembly, urged the government to take legal action against people involved in corruption and vested interests.

He also called for the abrogation of legislation that promotes corruption _ such as the State Enterprises Corporatisation Act, which provides the framework for the conversion of state enterprise assets into capital _ and for more timely action to deal with the southern unrest.

Mr Sophon said the government had not made much progress in these areas in the eight months that it had been in power

southern belle
udonmap.com

Post by southern belle » May 25, 2007, 8:12 am

I know of an incident which happened recently to an individual trying to wire transfer funds, from sale of property, back to home country. First the bank told him, only 660,000 B. once a week, so individual made a transfer. Later that same day, the bank called and said they had cancelled the wire transfer. The person went back to the bank and was told no more once a week, just once a month. Now was told no wire transfers at all! Funds were considered "dirty money" Makes one wonder, if a person decides to leave this country, how you get your funds out?

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » May 25, 2007, 9:57 am

I have only heard of this things in the last year, but it is something to be very carful about, the other thing to keep in mind most of the branches we deal with have limited authority and a lot of things they agree to can be oveturned in Bangkok in the end.

It's obvious the bank are under much more scrutiny then they were not to long ago. The one thing you can count on about Thai's is overkill in these kind of things. Anyone remeber waht hapened when the Thai' thougght that the Ramsey killer was teaching in Thailand, more heat then anyone could imagine came down on foriegn teachers. In the end the guy got a free ride back to the states and his case was closed. But nothing changed here. How much that had to do with decesion to enforce the visa laws I dont know but timing would be about right.

Me If I I don't have to have it here right now, It's not coming here. I think you have to be very realistic, about living here. Any of you know what you would do i it really went bad, it can. Personally I donlt see that happening, but I assure you I know waht my fal mily and I will be doing if it does. The one thing I'm counting in such a scenario i all bank accounts being froze here. Won;t take them a heart beat o do that. If all yuor money is here. Waht are going o do for currency if yuo do have to make the big mistakes.

Now I have to admit in some apects in life I'm very wierd. but I didn't survive 16 years working as a cop in the streets of America, without what if thinking. Having plan ahead of whn the incident happened allowed me to respond quickly and correctly. If not there were many incidents that I would not have survived.

Some of the thoughts were a complete waste of time, never had to deal with a real bomb, knew what I was going to do if it happened. Dont misunderstand what I am saying here I'm not saying any particular bank is bad. I'm saying be aware of what what is happening and be cautious in your approach, they is very good reason to do that at the moment.

It is not neccessary to have huge amounts of money here bring what you need. Whateve that number is for your circumstances. Thi makes me very nervou about selling the house, so I have money can I actually get it out of the country and enjoy the beneifts of it, or is it going to be dirty money :shock:

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » May 25, 2007, 10:10 am

Ray as a suggestion, if a foreigner buys the house this is easy, have him wire it to your bank in the US. That way the money never hits Thailand at all. Might be a bit harder but even if Thai, have him wire it to a bank in US. That way it never hits a falang account in Thailand. I truely beleive that if a Thai buys it and really wants it he will have the connections to do the wiring of money out of country.

A suggestion only.

southern belle
udonmap.com

Post by southern belle » May 25, 2007, 10:12 am

The person trying to send funds back to home country, after sale of property, was told by a farang attorney in Bangkok, that this was happening to many farangs in Bangkok as well.

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » May 25, 2007, 10:15 am

A very good suggestion, I beleived exactly the same thing, but the news last night put a Thai in the hot seat, but we are talking about huge sums of money in that incident. One of the thing that ha hit me righ now they have to have certain amount of assets on hand, if they can delay the disbursement, even to the extent of having law uit files against them they can delay those disbursements for years,. Making that bottom line look much better for the that length of time. Just a wild thought and nothing more.

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » May 25, 2007, 1:44 pm

I did not read all the article but I understand the concern of sending thai baht to your home country this is what I would do if I sold some thing of great value I would not bring in any currentcy from home country I would live on thai baht that i just acquired this way you don't have to send the money back home that only works if you are not planning to leave thailand any time soon when some one ask me about retirement visa and the 800k I tell them not to deposit that sum of money here in thai. I tell them to go the other route 65K a month pension if they get that amount of pension

Ricohoc
udonmap.com

Post by Ricohoc » May 25, 2007, 2:59 pm

aznyron wrote:when some one ask me about retirement visa and the 800k I tell them not to deposit that sum of money here in thai. I tell them to go the other route 65K a month pension if they get that amount of pension
Excellent idea.

I guess all of these problems would be common in any country that underwent a military coup and yet to have elections.

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”