Pound looking good.

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
User avatar
rick
udonmap.com
Posts: 2505
Joined: January 9, 2008, 10:36 am
Location: Udon, or UK May-August

Re: Pound looking good.

Post by rick » December 17, 2019, 8:06 pm

Back to under 40 again, realisation that Brexit WILL happen.....



User avatar
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com
Posts: 4789
Joined: October 14, 2013, 4:39 pm

Re: Pound looking good.

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 17, 2019, 8:24 pm

Over the course of the last 20 years ..

Bt to Pound rates ive seen

High 92
Low mid/high 30s

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

User avatar
Khun Paul
udonmap.com
Posts: 4266
Joined: September 16, 2008, 3:28 pm
Location: Udon Thani

Re: Pound looking good.

Post by Khun Paul » December 17, 2019, 8:31 pm

No it is not that Brexit will happen, it is the putting the No Deal back on the table, as usual Politicians opening their mouths and creating uncertainty, they forget that every utterance is looked at and if purporting to be negative affects currencies. Why do they not just get on with the job and keep their thoughts to0 themselves. Loose Lips sink ships used to be used, NOW Loose Lips sink the exchange rate

User avatar
stattointhailand
udonmap.com
Posts: 12576
Joined: October 25, 2007, 11:34 pm
Location: Oiling the locks on my gun case

Re: Pound looking good.

Post by stattointhailand » December 17, 2019, 9:01 pm

They cant say too much anyway KP, as they admitted today that none of Britains Brexit negotiating team have the slightest idea what the UK's starting position is for the negotiations ............ even if they knew what they wanted they have between little and b*gger all chance of out negotiating one of the most experienced set of EU delegates
Lets not forget the previous talks were held when we were still members and so needed to be handled carefully by the EU team, now we are on the outside looking in and can expect a very different more hostile reception.

User avatar
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com
Posts: 4789
Joined: October 14, 2013, 4:39 pm

Re: Pound looking good.

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 17, 2019, 9:26 pm

LET IT GO STATTS ..let it go keep 8)

The election didnt work out the you n other remainers wanted n Brexit is now reality to great relief of the 17 plus mil who voted to leave .. so lets see how the negs go some good news is theres a petition to get Mr Frage to be part of the team to thrash out a deal with the EU ..n he IMO would be a real asset squeezing his EU buddies dry !!

Lots of silly n fake news still coming from dilusional remainer loosers who just cant except whats happening..... Gina Miller , to name just one..

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

User avatar
stattointhailand
udonmap.com
Posts: 12576
Joined: October 25, 2007, 11:34 pm
Location: Oiling the locks on my gun case

Re: Pound looking good.

Post by stattointhailand » December 17, 2019, 9:57 pm

Used to losing DM ........ I'm a "toon" fan :lol:

60 years of supporting Newcastle means you learn to separate the "facts" from the BS pretty quickly, and every day more and more "facts" are being divulged which prove BOJO has been spouting more & more BS to the gullible masses :-$

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 5450
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: Pound looking good.

Post by tamada » December 17, 2019, 10:41 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
December 17, 2019, 9:01 pm
They cant say too much anyway KP, as they admitted today that none of Britains Brexit negotiating team have the slightest idea what the UK's starting position is for the negotiations ............ even if they knew what they wanted they have between little and b*gger all chance of out negotiating one of the most experienced set of EU delegates
Lets not forget the previous talks were held when we were still members and so needed to be handled carefully by the EU team, now we are on the outside looking in and can expect a very different more hostile reception.
I fleetingly saw a headline a few days back alluding to "none of Britains Brexit negotiating team have the slightest idea what the UK's starting position is" but in my excitement to see how to rewire my hot water shower units, I clicked through it. Can you post some links to that same factual statement so we can fact check it? I have a feeling it was from some UK newspaper? Good to have an idea what team they're generally batting for.

The way I see it, the previous Brexit negotiations were with the UK's ladies team and the frequent complaint from Barnier, Juncker and others was that Britain was unable to articulate exactly what it wanted. They haven't had much in the way fo competition.

With the UK finally out, The UK's first team negotiators only have to negotiate what is good for the UK whereas the EU has to accommodate the whims of the remaining 27(?) members. That's why THEY say that 11 months is an unreasonably short time to finalize the deal and the Remainers blindly parrot it.

Anyway, going off topic... the The all-new "Getting BREXIT Done" thread is over there.

I reckon the pound will hover around the current level until the first time someone seriously pisses on Johnson's parade, maybe next April?

User avatar
Khun Paul
udonmap.com
Posts: 4266
Joined: September 16, 2008, 3:28 pm
Location: Udon Thani

Re: Pound looking good.

Post by Khun Paul » December 18, 2019, 6:28 am

While I agree with many sentiments echoed around this table, we should never really lose sight, that the EU needs us much m ore than we need them and they are losing a sizable chunk of dosh as well every year, meaning that the others will have to stump up more , so screwing around with the trade deal may be what the EU wishes to do but it will be at their financial loss I expect, true we will take a hit but not as much as they will I think

Kenr6583
udonmap.com
Posts: 585
Joined: July 13, 2019, 2:15 pm

Re: Pound looking good.

Post by Kenr6583 » December 18, 2019, 6:34 am

In my opinion, I truly don't believe that Brexit will have a positive or negative affect on the exchange rate. All currencies have suffered due to the strength of the baht. I personally don't believe in countries manipulating their currencies, but in this case it might be a good idea for Thailand to consider weakening theirs if they still want to be and attractive holiday and retirement destination.

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 5450
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: Pound looking good.

Post by tamada » December 18, 2019, 1:40 pm

And then, quite suddenly...

Pound tumbles amid Brexit cliff-edge fears; factory output slumps - as it happened

https://www.theguardian.com/business/li ... iPlQuPwPTU

Analyst: Johnson's Brexit threat has scrooged the pound

The pound is also suffering further losses against the euro, now down over one eurocent at €1.183 as traders anticipate a cliff-edge Brexit crisis next year.

That’s a hefty fall, which sends sterling back towards last week’s levels before the election result.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/li ... da5c109079

I hope you did all your happy forexing last weekend. I did!

PS: Note to joudon, this aint Guardian fake news either.

joudon
udonmap.com
Posts: 300
Joined: August 31, 2010, 4:08 pm

Re: Pound looking good.

Post by joudon » December 18, 2019, 2:06 pm

The fall in value of sterling was always on the cards, after the initial euphoria abated ,and due to uncertainty over the future. Until some concrete legislation is passed, nothing major in the money markets will happen. As regards your beloved Guardian, they must be overjoyed at sterlings down turn, proves they were right all along.The original turkeys happy for Christmas.

User avatar
747man
udonmap.com
Posts: 10607
Joined: March 25, 2007, 2:22 pm

Re: Pound looking good.

Post by 747man » December 18, 2019, 2:17 pm

Kenr6583 wrote:
December 18, 2019, 6:34 am
In my opinion, I truly don't believe that Brexit will have a positive or negative affect on the exchange rate. All currencies have suffered due to the strength of the baht. I personally don't believe in countries manipulating their currencies, but in this case it might be a good idea for Thailand to consider weakening theirs if they still want to be and attractive holiday and retirement destination.
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

User avatar
AlexO
udonmap.com
Posts: 941
Joined: June 8, 2015, 11:45 am
Location: Nong Lat Udon

Re: Pound looking good.

Post by AlexO » December 18, 2019, 2:18 pm

Kenr6583 wrote:
December 18, 2019, 6:34 am
In my opinion, I truly don't believe that Brexit will have a positive or negative affect on the exchange rate. All currencies have suffered due to the strength of the baht. I personally don't believe in countries manipulating their currencies, but in this case it might be a good idea for Thailand to consider weakening theirs if they still want to be and attractive holiday and retirement destination.
No? Just look at the value of the UK Pound against all other major currencies two weeks before the 2016 referendum and then two weeks after. Huge drop in International Currency terms. It has also stayed down (sometimes worsening) in spite of the UK economy performing better that the main EU players. The UK Bank of England has actively encouraged this devaluation of the Pound to aid our export trading claiming the Pound was overvalued at the time. While the strength of the Baht hurts us expats and Thai exports, in the big picture it is small beer in World Economy terms.

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 5450
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: Pound looking good.

Post by tamada » December 18, 2019, 9:05 pm

joudon wrote:
December 18, 2019, 2:06 pm
The fall in value of sterling was always on the cards, after the initial euphoria abated ,and due to uncertainty over the future. Until some concrete legislation is passed, nothing major in the money markets will happen. As regards your beloved Guardian, they must be overjoyed at sterlings down turn, proves they were right all along.The original turkeys happy for Christmas.
It's hardly my 'beloved'... that is reserved for The Aberdeen Press & Journal... but at least it doesn't tag every bloody thing as 'Premium' and charge me to read like the other fake Englander newspaper, The Telegraph.

User avatar
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com
Posts: 4789
Joined: October 14, 2013, 4:39 pm

Re: Pound NOT looking good.

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 17, 2020, 6:48 am

Changed the thread topic header as it looks like Pound Sterling is not looking good .. around the 38.xx mark :shock:

How accurate is the exchange rates currency chart on UMs home page under the recent posts n classifieds sections ??

Just checked a couple of sites n it seems late 38s as ov 16/5

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

User avatar
Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com
Posts: 559
Joined: August 31, 2010, 11:49 am

Re: Pound looking good.

Post by Wee Jimmy » May 17, 2020, 7:44 am

Yes, a wee while back we thought GBP was on an upper but our dreams of a rate when some of us came here 25 years ago are now scuppered/sunk. All the grants the UK are giving toward Covid-19 will destroy the exchange rate for years to come.

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 5450
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: Pound looking good.

Post by tamada » May 17, 2020, 7:59 am

^ The upside of Covid-19 is that it will universally strain forex rates. The ratshit quid will be right up (down) there with the Euro, Dollar, Krone, Escudo and Zloty.

dunroaming
udonmap.com
Posts: 990
Joined: July 14, 2009, 1:34 pm

Re: Pound NOT looking good.

Post by dunroaming » May 17, 2020, 8:11 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
May 17, 2020, 6:48 am
Changed the thread topic header as it looks like Pound Sterling is not looking good .. around the 38.xx mark :shock:

How accurate is the exchange rates currency chart on UMs home page under the recent posts n classifieds sections ??

Just checked a couple of sites n it seems late 38s as ov 16/5

DM
My bank (KTB)was offering only 38.39 on Friday

User avatar
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com
Posts: 4789
Joined: October 14, 2013, 4:39 pm

Re: Pound looking good.

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 17, 2020, 8:32 am

It isnt looking good as forecast to drop further in the next few days n weeks ... i had to do a double take and checking out a few more sites mid 38s in the most common current rate.

This matches the lowest ive ever seen bt to PS rate .. and thats going back the early/mid 1990s when it was 38/39 .. highest ive seen is 92 .. :shock: now theres a huge difference in those two figures.

.. 3 replies all from Scottish Gentlemen members =D> well heeled keen market watchers and savers , investments blood courses thru those North of the border veins !!!!!!

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

dunroaming
udonmap.com
Posts: 990
Joined: July 14, 2009, 1:34 pm

Re: Pound looking good.

Post by dunroaming » May 17, 2020, 9:28 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
May 17, 2020, 8:32 am
It isnt looking good as forecast to drop further in the next few days n weeks ... i had to do a double take and checking out a few more sites mid 38s in the most common current rate.

This matches the lowest ive ever seen bt to PS rate .. and thats going back the early/mid 1990s when it was 38/39 .. highest ive seen is 92 .. :shock: now theres a huge difference in those two figures.

.. 3 replies all from Scottish Gentlemen members =D> well heeled keen market watchers and savers , investments blood courses thru those North of the border veins !!!!!!

DM
We have to be any further drop in rates mean I might have to curb my spending behaviours and ever more scary cut golf to 3 times a week only. Remember we are all poor heathens north of Birmingham which is now btw in Africa not England

Post Reply

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”