Dollar lets give the baht a rest

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » July 5, 2008, 12:38 am

The good news - some optimism for USD which may help its rate against THB.

The bad news - the authenticity of the good news is questionable as it comes from a US Investment Bank (a sector suffering in the recent past from slight integrity problems) :-k
Dollar to Rise Against Emerging Markets, Morgan Stanley Says
By Jamie McGee

July 4 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. dollar will appreciate against most emerging market currencies as their economies are hurt by rising energy prices, according to a Morgan Stanley.

The dollar will also strengthen to $1.53 against the euro by year-end and $1.40 by the end of 2009, Morgan Stanley's chief currency strategist Stephen Jen wrote. The research note was released yesterday after the European Central Bank's quarter- percentage point increase in its benchmark loan rate to 4.25 percent. Jen also forecast the dollar will trade at 97 yen by January and at 110 by the end of 2009.

``While the dollar may remain somewhat vulnerable against the euro in the near term, we continue to believe that the dollar is grossly under-valued and should perform better over the longer term against the majors,'' London-based Jen said. ``It is the oil price issue that will likely cause the emerging- market dominos to topple over. Euroland will likely follow.''

Crude oil rose above $145 a barrel yesterday to a record amid signs global demand for fuels, particularly from China, may strain supplies.

The euro fell the most against the dollar in more than two months after Trichet signaled that he may not increase interest rates again. The euro dropped 1.1 percent to $1.5703 yesterday in New York, from $1.5882 on July 2. The dollar appreciated 0.8 percent to 106.73 yen, from 105.91.

To contact the reporter on this story: Jamie McGee in New York at [email protected]

Last Updated: July 3, 2008 17:17 EDT

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » July 7, 2008, 3:37 pm

7/7 USD 33.32 to 1 best it has been in a while let hope USD keeps climbing & thai baht keep falling
(getting weaker) and it crashes & burns I want some of my money back they stole with inflated baht
you Know when the USD sinks it brings all the ships with them and the thai baht is no different
because with a weak dollar the imports become more expensive so why should American pay more for junk made in Thailand or China when they can buy quality goods made in USA for the same or less money just my opinion and the Vietnam Dong is over 17000 to 1 USD good showing Vietnam
maybe thailand will follow soon with 100 to 1USD :-({|= \:D/ :guiness:

Ricohoc
udonmap.com

Post by Ricohoc » July 7, 2008, 4:27 pm

aznyron wrote:maybe thailand will follow soon with 100 to 1USD
If that happens, someone will claim a conspiracy.
:lol:

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » July 7, 2008, 7:17 pm

USD/THB closed today at its highest value this year (and also higher than it actually started the year) on continued THB weakness.
  • USD/THB

From Bloomberg:
Asian Currencies: ...... Baht Falls

By David Yong and Judy Chen

July 7 (Bloomberg) -- ........... Thailand's baht fell to the lowest in more than 10 months on concern inflation will accelerate.....

Weak Sentiment

The baht was the biggest loser among the 10 most-active currencies in Asia outside Japan as near record oil prices spurred dollar demand from the nation's importers. Consumer prices rose 8.9 percent in June, the biggest jump in a almost a decade.

``There is weak sentiment over the region as a whole,'' said Tetsuo Yoshikoshi, a market analyst with Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corp. in Singapore. ``Inflation fears continue to dominate the market. The dollar-baht will strengthen further.''

Overseas investors sold 1.3 billion baht ($39 million) more Thai shares than they bought on July 4, the fifth straight day of net sales, according to stock exchange data. They pulled $396 million in net portfolio investment in May, The Nation newspaper reported July 2, citing central bank director Amara Sriphayak.......

To contact the reporter on this story: David Yong in Singapore at [email protected]; Judy Chen in Shanghai at [email protected].

Last Updated: July 7, 2008 05:22 EDT
AUD/THB reached yet another new high (since 1998), however this is on a combination of THB weakness and some bullish speculation about positive economic data coming from down under this week.

GBP/THB just about held its own, but is down against more or less every other currency due to release of poor economic data and being viewed as the economy (outside of the US) most vulnerable to the fallout of Subprime and recession.

EUR/THB although up, is struggling in a number of other markets with some weak (mainly German) European data.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » July 7, 2008, 8:16 pm

More good news for expats:

Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:20 pm Post subject: Baht 'could be 35.50/$ by mid-2009' - UK Bank

Baht 'could be 35.50/$ by mid-2009'
The Nation July 4 2008

The baht might reach 35.50 to the dollar by the middle of next year due to a rapid rise in inflation and an economic slowdown, a UK bank has predicted.

Standard Chartered, which has earned more than 90 per cent of its overall profit in emerging markets, has cut its forecasts for five Asian currencies due to slower regional growth.

The common key factors for the bank's forecast revision in these countries were current-account deficits, inflation getting out of control and central banks being insufficiently hawkish, said Thomas Harr, a senior currency strategist at Standard Chartered in Singapore.

According to Bloomberg, the London-based bank lowered its one-year predictions for the Inidan rupee, Pakistani rupee, Philippine peso, South Korean won and baht in a research note on Wednesday.

All of the currencies weakened against the US dollar last quarter on concern quicker inflation and a global slowdown will cool their economies.

"This Asian currency correction will continue into the first half of next year," Harr said in an interview.

"A lot of the focus now on current-account deficits and inflation will have a knock-on effect on slowing growth."

Standard Chartered lowered its end of June 2009 forecasts for the Indian rupee to 44.5 from 41.8, the baht to 35.5 from 33.5 and the won to 1,030 from 960.

www.BahtSold.com

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » July 14, 2008, 7:00 am

Looks like the weakening of the baht will cease soon as the Thai banks are screaming for a rate hike!

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » July 14, 2008, 8:31 am

BKKSTAN wrote:Looks like the weakening of the baht will cease soon as the Thai banks are screaming for a rate hike!
It will be difficult for the BoT not to increase interest rates this week as its main monetary brief is to contain core inflation in the range of 0% - 3.5%.

Theoretically if it were to increase the interest rate its primary effect would be on USD/THB, however as most other currencies effectively "ride on the back" of the USD/THB rate they would also be affected.

Increasing the rate would also increase the difference between the BoT & the Fed rates something that historically the BoT has shied away from, the conundrum for the BoT in attempting to maintain some kind of relativity in rates is that while there are many indications that the Fed is getting increasingly worried about the impact of inflation and the weak dollar and may be more inclined to increase their rates at the next meeting they are also as worried (or maybe even more worried) about the affect on growth.

Whatever is decided may almost be irrelevant as the THB, like a number of other Asian currencies, has gathered some degree of momentum in its fall which even interest rate increases may fail to halt.

In my view the MPC has three options this week:
  • 1. No change in the interest rate - this would almost certainly see the THB continuing to fall.

2. An increase of 0.25% - IMHO this would probably slow the downward momentum but would not be enough to stop it.

3. An increase of 0.50% - would indicate the MPC is serious about containing inflation and should stop the fall.
Of course, the relative impact of events occurring in other economies can (and probably will) make what I've said look stupid and/or I can just be plain wrong #-o

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » July 30, 2008, 6:50 am

With some fairly good economic data the USD had a pretty good day yesterday, gaining approximately 1% against most of the worlds currencies, so it will be interesting to see how it opens in Thailand against the THB today - theoretically, IF there are no other relevant major developments (and that is a big "IF") it should open about 0.33 higher :-k

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » July 30, 2008, 9:30 am

JimboPSM wrote:............. it should open about 0.33 higher :-k
  • Well it didn't, I've checked Kasikorn, Bangkok & Siam Commercial Banks and the opening rate today for USD/THB is only 0.01 (0.03%)higher than last nights close.

However as GBP, EUR & AUD have all moved down both against the USD & the THB in a range between 0.6% and 1%, broadly in line with what I was suggesting that the USD/THB should move, there is certainly the appearance that someone is "managing" the USD/THB rate alternatively there was some market event that I have managed to miss.

If any of the rate decision makers happen to notice the incongruity of the lack of movement in the USD/THB rate it's possible it may change later in the day.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » August 3, 2008, 7:24 pm

I try not to get excited by news like this probably on the upswing of the yoyo
Dollar Rises to One-Month High on View U.S. Slowdown Spreading

By Ye Xie and Candice Zachariahs

Aug. 2 (Bloomberg) -- The dollar rose to a one-month high against the euro as the pace of job erosion in the U.S. slowed while a decline in German retail sales indicated economic weakness is spreading to other developed countries.

The currency increased for a third week against the euro, its longest stretch of gains since May 2007. The Australian and New Zealand dollars fell against all of the other major currencies as reports showed Australia's manufacturing contracted and business confidence in New Zealand fell.

``The labor market hasn't changed dramatically, but certainly it's a relief that things haven't gotten worse,'' said Thomas Benfer, vice president of foreign exchange at BMO Capital Markets in New York. ``It looks like the global economy is slowing down. We're not going to see a surge in the dollar, but it's moving in the right direction.''

The dollar appreciated 1 percent this week to $1.5564 per euro, from $1.5709 on July 25. It touched $1.5515, the strongest since July 24. The dollar dropped 0.1 percent to 107.71 yen, from 107.84. Japan's currency gained 1 percent to 167.55 per euro, for the biggest weekly gain since early May. It touched 166.99 yesterday, the highest level since July 17.

The Federal Reserve will keep its target lending rate at 2 percent on Aug. 5, while the European Central Bank will hold its main refinancing rate at 4.25 percent two days later, according to forecasts of economists surveyed by Bloomberg News.

Weaker Pound

The pound fell to $1.9727, the lowest level since July 10, as an index of British manufacturing dropped in July to the weakest since December 1998. The Bank of England is forecast to hold its target rate at 5 percent on Aug. 7.

``Sterling at current levels is a good sell,'' said Meg Browne, a senior currency strategist at Brown Brothers Harriman & Co. in New York, in an interview on Bloomberg Television.

The Aussie dropped 2.6 percent this week after touching 93.02 cents yesterday, the lowest since May 2, as PricewaterhouseCoopers and the Australian Industry Group said the manufacturing index fell to 46.9 in July. The Reserve Bank of Australia will keep its cash target at 7.25 percent on Aug. 6, according to the median forecast of 24 economists.

New Zealand's currency, known as the kiwi, decreased 2 percent after reaching 72.47, the weakest since Sept. 19. A net 43.2 percent of companies expect the economy will worsen over the next 12 months, up from 38.7 percent in June, ANZ National Bank Ltd. reported this week.

U.S. Payrolls

U.S. payrolls shrank in July for a seventh straight month, decreasing by 51,000, matching the previous month's decline, the Labor Department said yesterday in Washington. The median forecast of 79 economists surveyed by Bloomberg News was for a reduction of 75,000. The unemployment rate rose to 5.7 percent, the highest since March 2004, from 5.5 percent.

``The market will start to focus on the rise of the unemployment rate, which could cause concerns about the weakness of the economy,'' said Dustin Reid, a senior currency strategist at ABN Amro Bank NV in Chicago. ``I'm not ready to call a bottom in the dollar just yet.'' The dollar may weaken to $1.58 per euro in the next couple of weeks, said Reid.

The U.S. economy shrank at the end of 2007 and grew less than forecast in this year's second quarter, figures from the Commerce Department showed July 31.

The 15-nation euro fell yesterday versus the dollar as Germany's Federal Statistics Office in Wiesbaden said retail sales, adjusted for inflation and seasonal swings, dropped 1.4 percent in June after increasing 0.5 percent in the prior month. The median forecast of 29 economists surveyed by Bloomberg News was for a decrease of 0.5 percent.

Trichet on Rates

ECB President Jean-Claude Trichet said on July 3 that he had ``no bias'' or ``pre-commitment'' after policy makers increased the main refinancing rate a quarter-percentage point.

``We're seeing the European numbers coming up very soft, so that will put pressure on the ECB not to do anything until the end of the year,'' said Alan Kabbani, a senior currency trader at Wachovia Corp. in Charlotte, North Carolina. ``I'm thinking a little bit more positively on the dollar.''

The yen rose to a two-week high of 166.99 against the euro yesterday as slowing global growth prompted traders to pare holdings of higher-yielding assets funded in Japan.

Japan's currency rose to a two-month high of 100.07 per Australian dollar and a four-month high of 77.90 per New Zealand dollar on speculation investors reduced carry trades in which they get funds in countries with low borrowing costs and invest where returns are higher. The target lending rate of 0.5 percent in Japan compares with 8 percent in New Zealand.

To contact the reporters on this story: Ye Xie in New York at [email protected]; Candice Zachariahs in New York at [email protected].

Last Updated: August 2, 2008 08:00 EDT

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » August 5, 2008, 10:16 am

the dollar is gaining slowly now if the thai banks would stop in flatting the baht we will see a good return for our USD & Brit pound. I said it on another thread it will be 1997 all over again the way they are trying to scam the world with there B/S baht

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » August 5, 2008, 10:39 am

Oh I see some things going on now that would cause me to be in your camp. To some extent, not he big conspiracy theory But a good likeley hood that the key to the vault have been given over to a group of guys. that are darn sure goign toake care of themselves before they do anything else. They don't have to leave thier current positions.

Saw thier approach to non preforming loans in the construction arena. They will let foriegners buy in.But gues who decides which foriegners can or can not. Oh there is lot of tea money to be had. Now we are really seeing the ear marks of 97.

So here we sit with a governmetn on it's last legs from all that is being said. Already in the process of sitting up a new political organaztion, case they can see the handwriting on the wall.

They appoint six people who can control the BOT I hope I'm wrong. But, I see a take the money and run. Everything else window dressing. That my friend is what happened in 97. Not everyone Thailand was destoyed by that, some were very wealthy because of it.

The baht manipulation is nothing compared to what can really happen.

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » August 6, 2008, 9:28 am

the USD gained a little bit more today keep it going in that direction no slow downs please especially no back peddling and we just might see 40 to 1 in less than a year

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » August 8, 2008, 11:30 am

Go Ben go make that USD very strong so I can get my 40 to 1 again screw thailand and it b/s monetary scheme to keep the bot strong. if they had any brains they would let it go to 40 to 1
because it would mean more exporting of goods to the USA & Europe which will be good for the poor people who make the goods they will have jobs and it jobs that keep the economy afloat

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » August 8, 2008, 11:39 am

aznyron wrote:Go Ben go make that USD very strong so I can get my 40 to 1 again screw thailand and it b/s monetary scheme to keep the bot strong. if they had any brains they would let it go to 40 to 1
because it would mean more exporting of goods to the USA & Europe which will be good for the poor people who make the goods they will have jobs and it jobs that keep the economy afloat
:lol: It is not the poor people they are worried about ! [-X

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » August 8, 2008, 12:10 pm

Boy Stan Talk about the nail and the head. Right now I wonder how much is just looking like they are doing something. Lots of political hot spots these days. Oops we were talking about dollars, maybe they could learn some lesson's from Thailand on this one :lol:

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » August 9, 2008, 8:24 am

The USD has had an exuberant start to the month having risen quite dramatically against most currencies.

For the currencies I track this has seen the USD make the following gains in the first six trading days of August:
  • 3.2% against GBP

3.4% against EUR

6.3% against AUD

0.4% against THB #-o
The movements stem primarily from news about other countries economies and changes in their interest rate expectations rather than any particularly news on the US Economy.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » August 9, 2008, 5:50 pm

Yep something wrong with that picture adn I think it' the BOT. All we can do is hope the new Finance Minister wins the fight.

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » August 10, 2008, 7:12 am

git wrote:Yep something wrong with that picture adn I think it' the BOT. All we can do is hope the new Finance Minister wins the fight.
  • I have to confess that I

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » August 11, 2008, 8:00 pm

The USD managed to close today at its highest point against the THB this year

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”