Drilling a hole in a wall

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
tamada
udonmap.com

Drilling a hole in a wall

Post by tamada » December 8, 2021, 1:56 pm

I have a wall built with regular 40 x 18 x 6 concrete blocks, the ones with the air gap in the middle. The wall has already been rendered and painted on both faces.

I wish to mount a power outlet on the opposite, external side of the wall from where an internal outlet is mounted. What's the best way to drill a 16 mm hole in that wall so I can run the LNE wiring through a 6 cm length of pvc conduit from the back of the internal, surface-mounted socket box to the back of the external surface-mounted socket box? This without risking a cracked chunk of the rendering falling off.

ta
tam

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Re: Drilling a hole in a wall

Post by Doodoo » December 8, 2021, 2:12 pm

research on you tube
or get a Thai to do it

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 8, 2021, 2:41 pm

Doodoo wrote:
December 8, 2021, 2:12 pm
research on you tube
or get a Thai to do it
I'm a DIY kinda guy and seeking the advice of other DIY kinda guys here. It's a great way to exchange ideas, broaden one's knowledge, share tips and hopefully make this online community more friendly AND USEFUL.

Hope this helps.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » December 8, 2021, 2:49 pm

Drill from both sides
or use a core drill

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » December 8, 2021, 3:43 pm

Isolate power.
Remove the internal GPO.
Use a small diameter (3/16 to 1/4) 6 inch long masonry bit and drill through to the outside - carefully, don't force it.
Use a 10 baht coin and draw a circle around the hole on the outside.
Use a small masonary drill bit and drill a series of holes around the circle as close together as possible.
Use an old screw drive or similar and carefully start knocking out the masionry starting from the inside pilot hole and out to the circle of holes.
= easy.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 8, 2021, 4:19 pm

tamada wrote:
December 8, 2021, 1:56 pm
I have a wall built with regular 40 x 18 x 6 concrete blocks, the ones with the air gap in the middle. The wall has already been rendered and painted on both faces.

I wish to mount a power outlet on the opposite, external side of the wall from where an internal outlet is mounted. What's the best way to drill a 16 mm hole in that wall so I can run the LNE wiring through a 6 cm length of pvc conduit from the back of the internal, surface-mounted socket box to the back of the external surface-mounted socket box? This without risking a cracked chunk of the rendering falling off.

ta
tam
Surely you should engage with a reputable Thai / local craftsman to do the job instead of sefishly doing it yoursielf in turn putting a small business owner out of work unable to make ends meet ??

Just sayin .. horses for courses

DM
Last edited by Drunk Monkey on December 8, 2021, 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » December 8, 2021, 4:21 pm

Drill from both sides would be my advice as well.
If you don't, the drill will blow out the other side the size of your head.
Not completely mind you, there may be a small hole in the centre but a power outlet certainly won't cover the blowout.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 8, 2021, 4:22 pm

Botulism ......... A common serious illness caused by "DIY kinda guys" who think they can do a job as well as a professional. In many cases injury can be caused to the individual or unsuspecting others, or alternately results have to be "lived with" until the property gets sold to someone else who then has to pay extra to get the "shoddy" workmanship put right :lol:

thewatchman
udonmap.com

Post by thewatchman » December 8, 2021, 4:48 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
December 8, 2021, 4:19 pm
tamada wrote:

ta
tam
Surely you should engage with a reputable Thai / local craftsman to do the job instead of sefishly doing it yoursielf in turn putting a small business owner out of work unable to make ends meet ??

DM
:lol: :lol: :lol: ,tighter than two coats of paint :D
laughing at the occasional visitor and failed taxi drivers

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 8, 2021, 4:48 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
December 8, 2021, 3:43 pm
Isolate power.
Remove the internal GPO.
Use a small diameter (3/16 to 1/4) 6 inch long masonry bit and drill through to the outside - carefully, don't force it.
Use a 10 baht coin and draw a circle around the hole on the outside.
Use a small masonary drill bit and drill a series of holes around the circle as close together as possible.
Use an old screw drive or similar and carefully start knocking out the masionry starting from the inside pilot hole and out to the circle of holes.
= easy.
That sounds like a winner.

Cheers BD.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 8, 2021, 4:49 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
December 8, 2021, 4:19 pm
tamada wrote:

ta
tam

DM
Haven't you got something in a microwave somewhere?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 8, 2021, 4:51 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
December 8, 2021, 4:22 pm
Botulism ......... A common serious illness caused by "DIY kinda guys" who think they can do a job as well as a professional. In many cases injury can be caused to the individual or unsuspecting others, or alternately results have to be "lived with" until the property gets sold to someone else who then has to pay extra to get the "shoddy" workmanship put right :lol:
Talk about nothing valid to offer?

I reckon you and Doodoo should get along like a (DIY) house on fire.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 8, 2021, 4:58 pm

noosard wrote:
December 8, 2021, 2:49 pm
Drill from both sides
or use a core drill
Yes, a pilot hole from both sides would save the rendering 'blowout' that bluejets mentions. There's all sorts of spendy things like core drills and ceramic bits but just for a couple of 16 mm holes, I reckon BD's suggestion has got the real DIY feel.

Doesn't every DIY'er, earnestly depriving Isaan's finest artisan's from ripping-off the know-it-all farang for a gigantic hole they never wanted, have an older screwdriver that doubles as a punch/chisel/bore/paint can opener and mixer?
Last edited by tamada on December 8, 2021, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 8, 2021, 4:59 pm

Thanks gentlemen!

(you know who you are)
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 8, 2021, 5:06 pm

tamada wrote:
December 8, 2021, 4:59 pm
Thanks gentlemen!

(you know who you are)
No problem.Tammy .. anytime ..dont mention it , im always on hand to offer advice on the most menial tasks to Udons elderly less active expats.

PING .....

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » December 8, 2021, 5:33 pm

I am a number eight wire, or DIY kinda guy, having just finished a 4 bay pole shed/ barn, 18m x 9m, with a loft, using just a hammer and hand saw..as no power on site.

as to the question..drill small, and then work your way up, with a masonry bit of course..both sides if you want, but lining up the two holes is the trick..you are going thru the back of an already existing wall socket so it should be easier..can always weld a drill bit onto a stronger length of rod to give you extra length..

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » December 8, 2021, 5:38 pm

No problem.Tammy .. anytime ..dont mention it , im always on hand to offer advice on the most menial tasks to Udons elderly less active expats.

DOODOO

Hope the drilling goes well (not well as in oil or water)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 8, 2021, 5:39 pm

maaka wrote:
December 8, 2021, 5:33 pm
I am a number eight wire, or DIY kinda guy, having just finished a 4 bay pole shed/ barn, 18m x 9m, with a loft, using just a hammer and hand saw..as no power on site.

as to the question..drill small, and then work your way up, with a masonry bit of course..both sides if you want, but lining up the two holes is the trick..you are going thru the back of an already existing wall socket so it should be easier..can always weld a drill bit onto a stronger length of rod to give you extra length..
Luckily both sides have a measurement point of reference that is identical and accessible from both sides of the wall.

Of course Murphy's Law of powerless DIY will prevail and at least one of my holes will meet with the harder cement fill between the blocks.
Last edited by tamada on December 8, 2021, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » December 8, 2021, 7:45 pm

I had that same problem. After looking it over a number of times, I drilled a hole through the wall and used a stiff wire to fish an extension cord through the wall. Of course I had to take the plug off the one end. It works fine, just could look little better.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 13, 2021, 8:58 am

As above using the top one & once the drill bit breaks through using it from the reverse, I would use Gaffer tape to reinforce the render to stop spalling on breakthrough.
FCBCD8EA-626E-4AFE-8700-AFC3E54DD93F.jpeg
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Return to “House & Land”