Planning Rules! Are there any?

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
JohnKing
udonmap.com

Post by JohnKing » January 14, 2022, 8:16 pm

If you buy land in Thailand. thinking to buy land in a rural location, maybe 20 minutes drive from Udon Thani. Are there any planning rules or process.

Family of my other half seem to think not. They just seem to build what they want as and where they want.

Ant advice or experience anyone?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Planning Rules! Are there any?

Post by stattointhailand » January 15, 2022, 10:57 am

They seem to be using the theory that any rules that are there will go away when the right palms are greased. This will probably work until some jobsworth gets a bee in his bonnet like on Samui/Phuket/CM where they then just come and rip the place down. Lots of places in Walking St Pattaya just been knocked down because they were illegally built and someone with lots of dosh has a "vision" that needs them gone (and more grease than the current occupants).
In short Yes there are rules its just whether they will be adhered to

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 15, 2022, 11:24 am

Long time ago, I was informed you do need planning but once a hole in the ground had been made and a foundation laid then you can add whatever you like within reason .

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 15, 2022, 3:47 pm

Many years ago I was told that you have to change the details from Agric to residential at Land Office if you want to build on farmland. I was assured that this would not be a problem provided certain individuals were suitably re imbursed for their time & effort (its requires using dozens of different rubber stamps)

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » January 15, 2022, 4:51 pm

People around here build what they want, where they want and have done so for the 20+ years I've been here (that includes me or should I say Mrs Dero). All on chanoot titled land within the village.
There is a problem if title boundaries are encroached. If the Puyii Baan can't sort it the land office then gets involved.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 15, 2022, 5:47 pm

There's a large housing development on the east ring, just south of PowerBuy that was being built by a reputable developer on land that apparently wasn't designated for housing. Construction was stopped and the place boarded up. Looking at G-earth, probably 30% of the homes had already been started and pretty sure the show house was already open when it got shuttered. Rumor has it that it was linked with the abuses of a Thaksin or one of their governments. The perils of improper land title.
closed.jpg
closed2.jpg
When we built our pile, construction was already around half-way when a chap from the Amphur just happened to drive by, stopped, reversed, jumped out and started asking questions. While father-in-law (construction foreman) mysteriously disappeared, Yai was given an earful. A few days later, and after a trip to some office in town, plans submitted, papers signed and all was sorted out. I have NO idea whether that was a backhander or a late filing formality. There was no sudden, unexpected costs or requests for ad-hoc additional funding.

Of course the more rural locations may be a whole different plate of somtam

YMMV
TiT
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » January 15, 2022, 5:49 pm

Stupid people do stupid things. See above ^.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » January 16, 2022, 6:56 am

normally every build done now should have building permit /approved plan , these approvals are done by the local tesabaan , also they can help you out drawing the plan according to the local build regulations ... so inform at your local tesabaan ...;)

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 16, 2022, 7:15 am

kopkei wrote:
January 16, 2022, 6:56 am
normally every build done now should have building permit /approved plan , these approvals are done by the local tesabaan , also they can help you out drawing the plan according to the local build regulations ... so inform at your local tesabaan ...;)
That is 100% correct .... to add ... when/if in future years you wish to sell a property some land offices depending on the status of the chanote / land title deed ask to see the original permit to build , not having this can at this point create a problem.

You should always get a permit to build thus your house design plans plus engineering report for the structure conforms to the local building regulations.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 16, 2022, 8:21 am

Also, the tessabahn will have sets if government-approved plans that should include the latest codes and standards. These can be used as a guide in lieu of having your own plans drafted. Mrs tam and I selected one of these for our blueprint, made some modifications, added the extensions and went with it. Hasn't fallen down yet.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » January 16, 2022, 8:35 am

If memory serves me well, we took our house plans to the Tesabaan who had a quick look and said we were below the size needing approval (17m x 11m was our size) single storey. They said if 2 or more storey then yes they would review and issue permit after checking. So basically if you are building a typical bungalow using a half knowledgeable builder then there there is no real reason to seek approval. Footnote' Rules might have changed since we built our place 7 years ago so pop along to your local office just to make sure.

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Post by NongKhaiLee » January 16, 2022, 12:01 pm

In the village I live in I was told that there are permit fees an planning codes, but that everyone just builds and then pays the fines if the gov comes around to collect them because they are the same as the permit fees.
One thing I wish happened here is if the locals at least paid attention to the law as far as how close buildings can be built to a property line. We had to get a neighbor to put a gutter on his place because the rainwater run-off from his roof was flooding our place and turning our fence black. But I am glad he was at least decent enough to do so.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 16, 2022, 12:15 pm

NongKhaiLee wrote:
January 16, 2022, 12:01 pm
In the village I live in I was told that there are permit fees an planning codes, but that everyone just builds and then pays the fines if the gov comes around to collect them because they are the same as the permit fees.
One thing I wish happened here is if the locals at least paid attention to the law as far as how close buildings can be built to a property line. We had to get a neighbor to put a gutter on his place because the rainwater run-off from his roof was flooding our place and turning our fence black. But I am glad he was at least decent enough to do so.
IMO It is still important to get a permit to build even in a rural village regardless of what title deed the land in registered on...as in future if the house is sold or needs to be transferred to another name the local land office can request to see the original permit to build.

Many small rural land offices hardly ever see house sales its really only land sales as homes are passed on from generation to generation .. but changing a name on the land ownership does create a tax payment and all documentation sometimes including the PTB is required.

With some decent plans and engineering report getting a permit to build is very inexpensive and can be done in an hour or so

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » January 16, 2022, 2:32 pm

two of the houses we have on our property have the Tambon approved construction plans. They were processed through the Tessaban in Tambon Nong Bua. Basically its a simple blueprint of the construction which also shows the septic system. One house was built in 2003 and one in 2007.. For tax purposes those two houses are indentified on our most recent tax assessment review letter which came a couple of weeks ago. The letter shows how much land you have by Rai, Ngan, Talang Wa and the houses by size in square meters. It doesn't assess a tax, it is a letter advising the owner to let them know if their property identification assessment is wrong. Anybody with a property Chanote should have received the tax advisory letter.. So, if you didn't do the Tambon paperwork for construction your tax assessment likely won't include the houses on the prpoerty.
Dave

Return to “House & Land”