Superblock or Q-Con for building and Price?

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
Frankie 1
udonmap.com

Post by Frankie 1 » November 13, 2012, 3:27 pm

Isan1968 wrote:If my information are right Q Con is the only one for a load bearing building. Mean with Q Con blocks you no need concrete columns. I think that´s why Q Con is more expensive than other products.
You are probably confused with the regular grey cement building blocks for perimeter walls. They have a different size (approximately 19x40 cm), and are hollow. Sometimes you can see that these are used without concrete collumns/poles, but only for building a small shed with a light weight roof. But you have to fill up the holes in every block with concrete, and/or reinforce them with iron at the corners.

AAC blocks are completely different, they are white and are 60x20x7,5 (standard size). They don't weigh much (I think they weigh only something like 1 kilo per block) and break easily. The AAC blocks are only used for their light weight and for insulation.
When there is weight involved, and at windows and door frames, you have to use a steel/concrete construction.

Be aware that when you are building a house, you need to have a proper concrete construction to carry the roof. For a small roof, you need approximately 2000 rooftiles. Standard rooftiles are 4 kilo per piece, so only the weight of the rooftiles will be 8000 kilos. Even basic common sense tells you that you can't build a house without a proper weight bearing construction.

max2011

Post by max2011 » November 19, 2012, 2:05 am

Of course with Q Con you can build a load bearing house without concrete Columns. Ask them. [-(

Frankie 1
udonmap.com

Post by Frankie 1 » November 19, 2012, 7:47 pm

max2011 wrote:Of course with Q Con you can build a load bearing house without concrete Columns. Ask them. [-(
Ok, load bearing walls with AAC blocks.

You need:

1. A technical drawing from a professional Farang engineer who knows everything about designing a house with AAC blocks. There aren't any engineers in Thailand who are professional enough to draw such a design.

2. You need a builder who is expert at building with AAC blocks. Who knows exactly how to build a load bearing wall with AAC blocks. Only the slightest mistake (in millimeters) will result in cracks in the blocks due to tension. There aren't any builders in Thailand who are professional enough to build such a wall using AAC blocks. Most don't even know how to build a non-load bearing infill wall with AAC blocks.

3. You need AAC blocks that are at least 20 centimeters thick, which are very expensive.

4. Again, it doesn't matter which brand of AAC blocks you use, they are all the same.

5. If you want to build a load bearing wall using AAC blocks yourself, without knowing what the he@&* you are doing. Then I hope for you that you have good insurance, for when the roof comes down while there are people inside the house.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » November 19, 2012, 8:28 pm

Got ta love this site. Now the blocks are the same, just different brand names, and we moved on to load bearing walls.

If I was to do it over again, I would not use all that heavy steel/tiles for the roof. I would go with the less weight of a tin roof, think it might be aluminium these days. Neighbor just did what she called a popular design in Thailand, think she was not talking Udon, but I like it. Now I see tin roofs all over the neighborhood, mostly for car cover. Some of my neighbors now have their whole plot covered. Sure does seem like keeping up with the Jones's mentality. :lol:

max2011

Post by max2011 » November 21, 2012, 12:15 am

Frankie 1 wrote:
max2011 wrote:Of course with Q Con you can build a load bearing house without concrete Columns. Ask them. [-(
Frankie 1 wrote: Ok, load bearing walls with AAC blocks.
You need: 1. A technical drawing from a professional Farang engineer who knows everything about designing a house with AAC blocks. There aren't any engineers in Thailand who are professional enough to draw such a design.
Just need a drawing, same like for all about houses. But in this case just have to do a sustainable foundation (like a raft). Than start to build with the Blocks. But sure you also can hire a Farang engineer from Germany or wherever, it´s up to the peoples who need to spend money that much.
Frankie 1 wrote:[
2. You need a builder who is expert at building with AAC blocks. Who knows exactly how to build a load bearing wall with AAC blocks. Only the slightest mistake (in millimeters) will result in cracks in the blocks due to tension. There aren't any builders in Thailand who are professional enough to build such a wall using AAC blocks. Most don't even know how to build a non-load bearing infill wall with AAC blocks.
That´s right. The most thai builder don´t know how to build a load bearing house.
3. You need AAC blocks that are at least 20 centimeters thick, which are very expensive.
Right, 20 centimeters thickness and yes they are much more expensive than concrete Blocks. But, you have to think, AAC Blocks are much more better for isolation than a concrete block.
4. Again, it doesn't matter which brand of AAC blocks you use, they are all the same.
No, you are wrong. Like I said, you can´t use all about AAC Blocks for a load bearing construction. For a non-load bearing construction Yes.
5. If you want to build a load bearing wall using AAC blocks yourself, without knowing what the he@&* you are doing. Then I hope for you that you have good insurance, for when the roof comes down while there are people inside the house.
For everything you do on this world you need knowledge. Don´t you think so?

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » November 21, 2012, 7:13 am

RL

Installing a tin/alum roof would also require wearing ear protection during the rainy season. Additionally the heat transmitted through this kind of roof is difficult to control even with insulation. I fully agree with you re not using heavy tile which of course requires lots of steel. I would switch to standard US fiberglass roof shingles which are available here in LOS if I had it to do over again. Much lighter than tile and a whole lot quieter than tin.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » November 21, 2012, 12:10 pm

fdimike wrote:RL

Installing a tin/alum roof would also require wearing ear protection during the rainy season. Additionally the heat transmitted through this kind of roof is difficult to control even with insulation. I fully agree with you re not using heavy tile which of course requires lots of steel. I would switch to standard US fiberglass roof shingles which are available here in LOS if I had it to do over again. Much lighter than tile and a whole lot quieter than tin.
Australia is as hot as Thailand in the north, probably 20% or more of houses have tin roofs, in rural area's 50% or more, with insulation directly under the tin they are quiet and cool, Australian bluescope steel is readily available in Udon with insulation glued to the underside, used it with all my houses in Aus and my house in Udon, its great. You must be careful with some of the information offered.

Frankie 1
udonmap.com

Post by Frankie 1 » November 21, 2012, 12:53 pm

max2011 wrote:For everything you do on this world you need knowledge. Don´t you think so?
Knowledge is good, but basing your knowledge on one sales pitch from one company website? Do people really believe that a product is a good quality product, or better than others, just because the company has a nice website and a terrific sales pitch? Does some basic (biased) info from one company website provide a proper basis for knowledge? Do you believe every salespitch you hear or read? Do you buy everything anybody wants to sell you?

And apart from that, even if you have the right knowledge (theory). For building a house you also need skills, insight and understanding.

Frankie 1
udonmap.com

Post by Frankie 1 » November 21, 2012, 1:39 pm

Reality: Q-con blocks on pallet at the DIY-shop, several of these expensive "quality" "load-bearing" blocks already broken/damaged. :-k
DSC00489.JPG
DSC00491.JPG
DSC00493.JPG

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 21, 2012, 2:00 pm

We put up a rolled steel roof (similar to Bluescope) with insulation glued to the underside about 7 years ago. We also have an outdoor bathroom with a plain tin roof, no added insulation. I've been in both in heavy rain. There's no comparison........I would not want to live in a house with a plain tin roof....but with the insulated steel, we've never had a problem with noise.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » November 21, 2012, 2:27 pm

fdimike wrote:RL

:lol: I think Mike, we all have this love of the ‘Sound of Rain on the Tin Roof’ fantasy. Think from some old Movie or Song. So, as I saw the Builder across the road build this huge warehouse/workshop and cover it with tin, I thought next time it rains, I would sit outside and fulfill the fantasy. So thats what I did, and noticed nothing! Then as the Tin crept closer and closer, so that I am now surrounded by it, when the rain came, got my frosted mug, filled it with ice cold beer and went out and sat under my 6 ton football size roof and was hoping to fulfill the fantasy. Nothing! Sadly, I guess you need to be under it to get the effect.

So now I think ear protection would be not needed, just the same insulation I already have, along with the superblock. When the rain comes down in buckets here, and me inside, and the windows are closed, I can’t hear a thing, sometimes even with the windows open, need the wife to say: ‘hey its raining’. But then again, maybe I need a hearing aid, or the superblock is that good, at my age hard to tell.

US fiberglass roof shingles - not in this heat, plus its getting hotter!

JR
udonmap.com

Post by JR » November 21, 2012, 7:14 pm

Frankie 1 wrote:Reality: Q-con blocks on pallet at the DIY-shop, several of these expensive "quality" "load-bearing" blocks already broken/damaged. :-k
DSC00489.JPG
DSC00491.JPG
DSC00493.JPG
Q-cons or Superblock are not load bearing blocks.

Isan1968
udonmap.com

Post by Isan1968 » December 4, 2012, 1:58 am

Of course Q Con is a load bearing Block, but (like everything on this world also) you have to know how to use.

For example:
1. You need a special foundation for the Q Con house (like a raft);
2. You have to use metal strap
3. For the Blocks you have to use the special thin bed mortar

By the way, this kind of blocks are easy to broke if deliver. That´s normal and nothing special. But after use, it´s strong.

But like i also already said not all about brand are for load bearing.....but Q Con of course they are.

Regards

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » December 4, 2012, 3:44 pm

Would only add that you need to check delivery for damage block and at least my seller would replace them. Also they make Lentils in long lengths which is Q-com block with steel reenforcement for over doors and windows.

Plus I love their special thin bed mortar and so does my tile guy, used it for bath tile walls, worth the price.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 4, 2012, 5:43 pm

RLTrader wrote: Also they make Lentils in long lengths which is Q-com block with steel reenforcement for over doors and windows.
Ouch! ..... please don't rely on lentils when building a house.

Lintels are the way to go. :D

Frankie 1
udonmap.com

Post by Frankie 1 » December 5, 2012, 4:38 pm

Isan1968 wrote:3. For the Blocks you have to use the special thin bed mortar
The "special mortar" for AAC blocks (munbao) is also not so special. Many brands produce and many shops sell this type of mortar. Nothing special about it. Mayby isan1968 and/or RLtrader have a special interest in or business relationship with the Q-con company?

Isan1968
udonmap.com

Post by Isan1968 » December 5, 2012, 10:25 pm

Frankie 1 wrote:
The "special mortar" for AAC blocks (munbao) is also not so special. Many brands produce and many shops sell this type of mortar. Nothing special about it. Mayby isan1968 and/or RLtrader have a special interest in or business relationship with the Q-con company?
About Mortar
Let me say it on a other way for make it more clear. For AAC Blocks (like Q-Con), if use as load bearing System you should not use a normal Mortar like for concrete or red brick.

And you can be sure nobody pay me money and i also don´t do plan to make business with C-Con Blocks. I just only say there is load bearing blocks also in thailand available, that´s all.

Peace.

Frankie 1
udonmap.com

Post by Frankie 1 » December 6, 2012, 2:07 pm

Isan1968 wrote:
Frankie 1 wrote:
About Mortar
Let me say it on a other way for make it more clear. For AAC Blocks (like Q-Con), if use as load bearing System you should not use a normal Mortar like for concrete or red brick.

And you can be sure nobody pay me money and i also don´t do plan to make business with C-Con Blocks. I just only say there is load bearing blocks also in thailand available, that´s all.

Peace.
Like I wrote, the mortar for AAC blocks is not so special, many shops sell it. At least every shop that sells AAC blocks. This is only the mortar for AAC blocks and has nothing to do with load bearing or not load bearing.

For instance the Insi or Eagle brand (Siam City Cement Group is one of the two main cement producers in Thailand) is available in most shops (Insi nr 23, blue sacks), the big DIY shops sell the same kind of mortar for AAC blocks from other brands as well.

Anyway this has nothing to do with Q-con. One person's preference for a certain brand doesn't mean or prove that the brand is better.

You could have the same discussion about Conwood/Shera/Smartwood. All the same stuff, only different brandnames. It's up to you what you prefer, but that doesn't make it better. If you prefer one brand above the other, it's only your personal choice/opinion.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » December 6, 2012, 4:18 pm

Isan1968 wrote:About Mortar

Peace.
All you use is 'Webber' adhesive, not portland cement as you would with red brick or concrete blocks. Leave the 'crocodile' alone it is total s--t.

tlyons

Post by tlyons » April 5, 2016, 6:58 am

I would really like to know the best places in Udornthani to buy the Q con block or the superblock that you can get the larger sizes at the best prices the larger hardware stores only offer one size ?

Return to “House & Land”