House made of steel...some assembly required.

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Re: House made of steel...some assembly required.

Post by AussieBoy » December 21, 2009, 3:27 pm

Heres the tie down bolt, in oz we only use 12mm, preferably chemset into the slab, so not as to crack the slab when using the usual anchor bolt which expands to grip the sides, but often cracks the slab edge, use a chem set anchor. a 2 part glue into the hole first then insert a thread rod, wait 72 hours , depends on the glue manufacture, then tighten up the nut.

Tie down is usually placed max 100mm from the wall ends and at each side of every opening, doors windows, and max 1800mm centers, with washer size, should be specified by the frame designers. Depth into slab 75mm

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » December 21, 2009, 4:08 pm

Bend it like Beckham, That doesn't apply in the building game, unless your in Thailand, just poor workman ship or dont care, If the guy get hes act together he should do very well out of the steel system, just a matter of training the workers.

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » December 21, 2009, 4:18 pm

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » December 21, 2009, 4:36 pm

Pic of truss end/ eaves / the Truss end tie back for this design is about 200mm to high, unless you want the soffit sheeting in 2 pieces, you will see the red line as being straight, the ends of the trusses the tails have about 30mm camber down from the horizontal tie back support, meaning overloaded tail ends.

The tie back braces should be put at the end of the truss tails near the facia, running to the pink line, which is The window head height, the black line should be where the tie back braces go to intersect the wall frame at the pink line, and of course as you will be installingting the pink and black line should be level along the length of the facia/ wall. at the moment the tie backs are up and down the place

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » December 21, 2009, 4:56 pm

Truss end tie backs from the facia to the wall studs, gives additional strength to the truss tails, and if put in along a level line you just fix the soffit sheet to the tie back, or battens to the tie backs, depends on the truss spacing if you use battens, most truss with tile roofs in Oz are at 600mm centers

Notice the tie back come just above the window heads, so the soffit sheets will sit at head level

Colourbond soffit finishes nicely just above the window head, after allowing for battens and sheet thickness

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » December 21, 2009, 5:22 pm

Some of the tricks of the trade to look out for when building

Its a nice fence, but looks like Beckham put it up on the front left, or the same guy who did the trusses, he likes to bend it.

The bottom is straight, the top bows out for about 150mm you can just make it out. next time Ill get on top of the wall

Other than that you have a perimter fence TIT

Kally

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » December 22, 2009, 6:49 am

Thank you for all that Aussieboy.

The contractor that built the fence and the floor/foundation is one and the same. Looks like they use the same tolerances on the fence as the floor. The frame is different person. I agree, if he gets a little more of a western mentality, he can have a very good business.

I had noticed the truss tie back braces and how many didn't even line up to brace on anything. Like the one behind the black line in the marked photo. I am looking forward to seeing what they come up with to replace it.

I probably won't hear anymore from the framer in BKK until sometine in January. Peter Blythe, the regional sale manager for Framecad Solution in Melbourne, is on annual leave until February. (Must be nice) They are the ones that have the drawings, now. Good, that I am not in a big hurry. :roll:

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » December 22, 2009, 5:07 pm

Peter Blythe I had some emails from him is well known in the steel frame industry. I'll be back November 2010 for 3months, so maybe you be ready by then [-o<

qon
udonmap.com

Post by qon » January 11, 2010, 12:30 pm

G'day Aussieboy
I have reading your posting on the quiet, but now decided to join in the discussion. As many had said the problem you are experiencing is caused by low workmanship.
1) truss cord gap can be fixed with a plate, which will strengthen that critical joint also.
2) truss cords overshoot, does not matter anyway as long they are fixed properly (no play) ie. below ceiling battens
3) truss end, tie back, it looks like some real booboos there. Fix it with extra eaves support fixed to that horizontal wall rail with L brackets.
4) anchor bolts, unless concrete is guaranteed chemset bolt is not going to hold. Another bolt to use is 'zero bolts' a version of 'self tapping' concrete bolt, I find them have better grip/anchor; the specs is the same as chemset but cheaper. Another way is the old set in concrete bolt, prealigned of course.
5) bent fence, nothing vegetation can't hide :) tell the brickies not to have too many red bulls.

Question is wind an issue there? I did not think they do, it is even storm safe there, no windmill pump any where! solar is a go.

Interesting learning curve :)

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » March 17, 2010, 7:27 am

Just a quick update. They, Framecad, has finished with the design of the replacement frame. They sent to me for a look see. I found a few discrepancies and sent it back for correction. But, it looks a whole lot better than the scrap metal there is now.

I had relayed Aussieboy's recommendations for wind load and Peter agreed and incorperated them into the engineering.

[quote=]AussieBoy wrote:They are designing it in OZ then they will supply you with a detailed fixing and bracing plan, you should have a N2 wind rating they should ask you or they guestimate, for Udon Classification= Region A, N2=w33 mts/s N3 would be the better design, Terrain category 2, No shielding /0.04 crops. Topography T1,

For the Designers(RG A-N3- TC 2 (NS) 0.04crops -TP T1)[/quote]

Well, that is where we stand for now.

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » July 28, 2010, 8:19 am

Anyone know an ad agency or someone that can help me put together an ad for the paper. I have canceled my contract with the framer do to non performance and no confidence and now going to attempt the impossible task of getting my money back.

I want to put together a full page ad to run in the BKK papers as recommended in a previous post. I am going to be in UTH until Aug 5th.

My patience is down to the last drop.

angiebuds

Post by angiebuds » November 3, 2010, 1:12 am

The whole house material is steel. So it has a great amount of durability. The roof is really great and has more resistance than other roofing.

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » January 30, 2012, 4:44 pm

Hi,
I am well aware of the house in Udon. I am close to the guy in BKK and Peter of FC. I have the redesign work with me, the prob is someone has to pay for the extra work. The fault lay with the Indo company, the BKK guy is an agent (not the builder, grey area and I have not seen the contract). Anyway if the guy wants to contact me, I might be able to help.

The problem originated from a lack of experience and the manufacturer's fault. They designed the walls with one system and put on top the trusses of their own. They did not full integrated the design in FC programs.

At my website there is a reference http://www.stratco.com.au/pdf/brochures ... _guide.pdf we do take care of this matter in the design. The main problem, yes; it is loading and trusses not landing on load bearing studs, which should be 20mm higher than internal walls.

Do pass on my email [email protected] steel frame Frame cad vientiane

rgds

Pan
Master Builder

pleelayuvat

Post by pleelayuvat » March 4, 2012, 8:54 pm

Hi, it is probably too late but I'm helping my friend's company in Bangkok who is launching the same building system. The system is from New Zealand. Anyone who is interested, shoot me an email. [email protected]

qon
udonmap.com

Steel frame is here

Post by qon » March 5, 2012, 6:47 pm

Hi all, the light weight steel frame is here to stay! there are about 3-4 main players who all know each other. The region market is quite big as everyone had said, it is long overdue. However, despite the fanfare the CAD software still requires the human known how, intuition and experience; that determines success, It has already been proven so with the saga of the house of steel in Udon. To find the operators, try Google for "Light weight steel frame Thailand" or PM for more info.

Return to “House & Land”