Build costs Aug 09 & June 2014

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
Mikey3073
udonmap.com

Build costs Aug 09 & June 2014

Post by Mikey3073 » August 25, 2009, 10:50 pm

Hi everyone.
First off, thanks for very informative site, read many of the posts but couldn't see one about approx build costs, only recomendations. We (okay my wife) and I have to add - bought with her money. ;-) (we both work in UK) have a plot about 35k south of udon, near the main bus terminal on the KhonKean rd. Acouple of years ago we had a pirimeter wall built 180 linear metres in all (60x30 plot 2.3m high). the total cost was £5,800. I'd read about all the problems then. so I insisted via my wife to inform them about the kind of quality I wanted, and to insist on c-pak mix as well. Anyway it was completed in a couple of months (no rush as we're currently living in uk at least for the next 3 years) and I was quiet impressed with the finish, real corners, vertical walls and posts and good rendering. apparently I paid a little extra because of the thicker steel. (which I didn't think I needed) but I believe the ovall cost/quality was quiet good, although as I found out later that I didn't get c-pak. After looking around it I only found one hollow patch about .5m (where the rendering seems to have lifted. Which I feel wasn't too bad. Anyway we're coming over this New Year for a Month and wanted to get the building of a double garage 7.5m x7.5m and we've decided to have accomadation built onto it 7.5m x7.5m again. This will end up being my workshop/gardening stores, etc, but for now it's going to be our place to stay when we're over there, as we don't expect to get the house started for anothe couple of years. But this same builders quoted us over £11k. (bht 588,000). I'm sure he's having a laugh. I really can't see this kinda cost justified and I won't use him at this price. We're getting another quote. Does anyone know the average build cost per M2 so maybe I could get a more accurate guide. Hope some of you will be able to guide me/us.

laphanphon

Re: Build costs Aug 09

Post by laphanphon » August 26, 2009, 1:58 am

yikes, not sure of todays prices, but my whole house, without wall didn't cost that much, and that was 150 m2 walled, another 30 m2 roofed, as sitting areas, porch/patio and such, garage. added a wall and extras about 4 yrs ago, acually using more material and labor than original house for less than 400. so his prices are way too much.

haven't priced things lately, but sure i could build a 150 m2 house for million baht, not including land.

Mikey3073
udonmap.com

Post by Mikey3073 » August 26, 2009, 4:45 pm

Thanks lamphanphon.
Yes I've seen some prices on a new build on the 210 just south of the airport, I know it says "FROM"
bht 1,000,000 and thats a new house with land.
I also should mention that the garage I want is only really a carport, four or six circular pilars holding up a nice tiled roof, no posh floor, maybe power floated, or just a good trowel finish would do. I'll seal it myself.

sammyg
udonmap.com

Post by sammyg » August 26, 2009, 7:54 pm

HI Mikey Well I can only tell you that I have just about have finished a 20'x44' (4 car)carport with one bay boxed in for water storage tank and bathroom with shower,nothing fancy at all.Just concrete floor and a perimeter wall with Slide Gate across the front (100')and down sides about 80' each side.The price is at $8500. at this time and this is father in law and sons doing the work.This is more or less a single sloped roof with overhang to shade the walls.It has concrete tile roof and very sturdy steel frame but there is no electricity to it either at this point.This is supposedly a good deal according to my wife and I know her father is a very honest man.So that will give you an idea to start with.We have now decided like you to enclose the whole thing in for now and make a small house out of it until such time as we move there permanently when we can get our house sold here in Montana.Things are not that great at selling houses in the USA right now!So I would suppose the same work for a customer would be somewhat more but not sure how much more as he is doing our place in their spare time when he doesn't have actual paying customers.Father in law does complete house building but specializes in all type of steel gates,gutters,windows and sliding and swing doors,awnings and perimeter fences.He does very beautiful ornate gate and fence work,security window coverings but I am not into all that stuff but many people are.When I asked for just plain window security fences turned out to be quite beautiful anyway more than I expected.His name is Phayu of Phayu Construction ph#089-5779312 if you would like an estimate.He speaks very little English but we would be happy to translate for you or have your wife call him.At any rate just an idea of what I have spent so far.SammyG :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :-" \:D/

Mikey3073
udonmap.com

Post by Mikey3073 » August 27, 2009, 2:48 am

Sammy, thanks for prompt reply.

Wow, FOUR CARS. Rich buggar. :-))).
Got his number thank you. My wife'll talk with him. (is he around Udon thani ?) We plan on doing the steel work around the same time.
Maybe same as you, aint into fancy steel work, just enough to keep the scroats out. :-) Don't care too much if it's ugly, as long as it's effective.

sammyg
udonmap.com

Post by sammyg » August 27, 2009, 6:35 pm

Hello Mikey No not rich at all just thought it would be good to make into a garage at some point.Start out as as carport someplace to get out of the rain and sun and then slowly change into garage but usually everyone throws everything under there until you enclose it just so it doesn't look so messy!Also we want to open a small school so some place for folks to park motorcycles under while in class.But now to be our house and will put 3 meter overhang or patio around 3 sides of house to shade the walls(to keep them cool as suggested by someone on this site I beleive?)and to set outside under,cook under,park cars and motor bikes under for the time being or until we can build our regular house.If and when we actually build the big house we will make this into our class rooms and garage Maybe.If I had started out knowing I wanted to build a small house I would have done things differently but its not to late to make this into our house although it may look a little strange.But compared to many houses it will look extravegant.Yes father in law is in Udon Thani about 1 1/2 miles from Big C mall.He is a very honest man and will not build a crap house and it will be strong.I told him I didn't want the fancy window and door security steel covers but they turned out alot fancier than what I wanted for sure.He said they are not fancy by any means just asthetic pleasing.You can give him a call anytime or have your longhaired translator do it if you don't speak Thai.He speaks a little English!His name again is Phayu of Phayu Construction ph#089-5779312.If you want you are welcome to send info. needed to me and I would be glad to have my long haired translator call her dad for you.Offer goes to anyone!Take care,SammyG

homer
udonmap.com

Post by homer » October 30, 2009, 4:07 am

Would any of you have a ball park figure what i might be looking at pricewise per meter for a perimeter fence? I realize it depends on how fancy you go, but am trying to get a rough idea what to budget for.

treehugger
udonmap.com

Post by treehugger » October 30, 2009, 8:57 am

Homer, if you don't want a cement wall you are just at the right time of the year to plant hawthorn cuttings. Put them in two rows about one foot apart and at alternate one foot intervals and this time next year you will have an impenetrable fence. :D The downside is that after a couple of years you have to cut them back.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » October 31, 2009, 8:23 am

Homer, If I remember correctly the going price for a perimeter wall was 350 baht per running Meter for labor. Now that was four or five years ago. Then you need to ad in the cost of cement block, cement, and steel rod. Prices of cement and steel change almost daily.

There is a new product for this area, and I have seen it used for perimeter walls and houses. I used some for a curved retaining wall for dirt, which goes out the back gate.

Its a thick brick that is stackable, like kids building blocks. When I did mine, the cost was 6 to 8 baht per block, depending. They come in straight, and curved, and half block, also have the top block. The cost when I bought a few a month ago had gone up, they were now 12 to 16 baht per block. There is a house done in them a little ways from my place, it looks nice. Its not rendered.

LoveDaBlues
udonmap.com

Post by LoveDaBlues » October 31, 2009, 8:57 am

homer wrote:Would any of you have a ball park figure what i might be looking at pricewise per meter for a perimeter fence? I realize it depends on how fancy you go, but am trying to get a rough idea what to budget for.
Standared concrete wall, 2 meters high, properly done with footings, etc. and rendered both sides cost 1,600 per meter. This is with them buying all materials and you sitting around scratching yer bollocks. This does not include painting the wall.

Also, if you want a 'fancy' front wall (stainless steel sections, inlaid stone, whatever) the cost per meter goes way up. Don't forget that SS automatic front gate.....now we're talking megabucks...... :(

Someone posted earlier a 150 sq mtr house could be built for 1M baht. If that's all under cooling and with Class A materials, insulated roof/attic, smartblock, etc. it can't be done. Sure, you can build a concrete bunker with crappy windows, etc. but would you really want to live there? :-s

The Chinese pushed material prices up and they haven't fallen back to previous levels, among other things.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » October 31, 2009, 9:18 am

LoveDaBlues wrote: Someone posted earlier a 150 sq mtr house could be built for 1M baht. If that's all under cooling and with Class A materials, insulated roof/attic, smartblock, etc. it can't be done.

Don't think I would say Can't - I don't know what smartblock are, but I used superblock, quality steel, tile roof, 3 wire electic, foil roof lining, think its 3" insulation installed myself, etc - roof covers 256 sq meters for well under 1 million four years ago. During that time prices changed daily, both up and down. I bought all the material and contracted out the different phases of the project, getting at least 3 prices. I also shopped for the material for the best quality at the best price.

LoveDaBlues
udonmap.com

Post by LoveDaBlues » October 31, 2009, 9:56 am

RLTrader wrote:
LoveDaBlues wrote: Someone posted earlier a 150 sq mtr house could be built for 1M baht. If that's all under cooling and with Class A materials, insulated roof/attic, smartblock, etc. it can't be done.

Don't think I would say Can't - I don't know what smartblock are, but I used superblock, quality steel, tile roof, 3 wire electic, foil roof lining, think its 3" insulation installed myself, etc - roof covers 256 sq meters for well under 1 million four years ago. During that time prices changed daily, both up and down. I bought all the material and contracted out the different phases of the project, getting at least 3 prices. I also shopped for the material for the best quality at the best price.

Sounds like you did well, congrats. ;)

How much of your home is actual floorspace, under air-con? My roof will cover 304 sq. mtrs. but I don't consider that when applying costs per sq. mtr. Also, I guess I made the assumption that ppl were looking for a contractor to do all the work; including buying & hauling materials, all labor, etc. as I'm doing......a poor assumption on my part. My air-cons alone are costing roughly 100K......and the roof tiles are costing 170K baht, etc. etc.......yes I know a guy in KK that built a house for 300K total cost.......I wouldn't live there......so like most things in life it comes down to doing what you are happy with......I still don't think a person can have a 150 sq. mt. house (150 under air-con) built in UT by a contractor with a quality/fit/finish that I would demand for 1M baht.......just my .02.

I also know a Thai guy that built a house on my buddies land (with permission; a relative) for 100K baht.....

I hope you're happy with your digs; sounds like you got what you wanted at a great price as well...... \:D/

homer
udonmap.com

Post by homer » November 3, 2009, 12:17 pm

RLTrader wrote:Homer, If I remember correctly the going price for a perimeter wall was 350 baht per running Meter for labor. Now that was four or five years ago. Then you need to ad in the cost of cement block, cement, and steel rod. Prices of cement and steel change almost daily.

There is a new product for this area, and I have seen it used for perimeter walls and houses. I used some for a curved retaining wall for dirt, which goes out the back gate.

Its a thick brick that is stackable, like kids building blocks. When I did mine, the cost was 6 to 8 baht per block, depending. They come in straight, and curved, and half block, also have the top block. The cost when I bought a few a month ago had gone up, they were now 12 to 16 baht per block. There is a house done in them a little ways from my place, it looks nice. Its not rendered.
Sounds like I better not quit my day job just yet :( I have about 120 running metres to do. The only consolation in all this is that my neighbour has already done his wall, and I'll just have the 3 sides to worry about =D> JUst out of curiosity Trader, what size were those blocks?

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » November 3, 2009, 6:02 pm

The bricks are 25cm long by 12cm by 10cm high

If you were coming back from Carefour to Udon and keep your eye on the left side of the road you will see a wall made of them. Somewhere near the airport turnoff. So its just before the turnoff or just after, well thats my best guess.

You also might check with your neighbor, and see who they got to do the work and how much.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » November 3, 2009, 6:18 pm

Also if you were to continue on the ring road past Harry's bar at the next traffic light, there on the corner (left side), they just did a short wall with them, think they made a room. Its a business, think they make uniforms.

When I think about it and without checking my records, maybe that 350 included material. To check records would have to find my Quickens data from 4 or 5 years ago.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » November 3, 2009, 8:43 pm

Someone posted earlier a 150 sq mtr house could be built for 1M baht. If that's all under cooling and with Class A materials, insulated roof/attic, smartblock, etc. it can't be done.
think that was me. and a fine house it is. insulated, double block wall where exposed to sun. plenty of glass and large rooms. actually, more like 200 m2, but for the sake of inflation, i said 150. also had 3 meter wall in front, 2 meter the other 3 sides, enclosing one rai plus, w/carport, and 4x4 meter block shed. decent yard, new owner added some very nice personal touchs, landscaping and converted some areas to their taste.

i built it for less than one mill, everything. if i control the cost of materials, labor, 150 m2 for a mill would be too easy. almost half the material and labor on the one i already had built. future price doesn't include land, though the 1st one did, all for just shy of a mill. the same now would cost 2 mill, but again, 200 m2 walled. so a small 150 m2, again, simply too easy.

may build another, just a bit better, more thought on shading, and walled again. on nice lot in NBLP. one rai for house, 6 rai for neighbor buffer, though if i do, doubt if i will have neighbors for decade or 2, nice private location, 30 kms from anything resembling a town, 7 kms from nearest village, and mostly rice land, so no worries. my 7 rai is alredy high ground with trees, up next to rice land, hence, no neighbors, way too expensive to back fill. don't expect it to cost more than 2 mill, that includes the land price. some extras will be a very long drive from road, and utilities run to house, sure to add a bit. now just need to decide to do or not, lot of non building factors to consider............
:-k :-k

but some of the houses and land prices i hear people talk about are totally ridiculous. superblock, to me, overrated/expensive. better without a doubt, but providing shade is better than managing heat after the fact, sort of like treating the symptoms instead of the cause. defeating our purpose.

Astana
udonmap.com

Post by Astana » November 3, 2009, 10:45 pm

=D> Go Phillies Go!

LoveDaBlues
udonmap.com

Post by LoveDaBlues » November 4, 2009, 10:55 am

Using AAC block (smartblock) is a no-brainer for me. Combining trees/large bushes for shade along with the AAC Block (or another wall insulation method) is the way to go IMHO. I'll also insulate my attic and roof. I enjoy my air-con and want to keep those electric bills down, down, down! One things for sure, the cost of electicity and materials will go up over time. A lot of folks don't consider this when they make their house plans. I'll pop my clogs long before my wife and child; I want to insure they have low electric bills after I'm gone. As always, a person has to build a house around his/her living style. What works for one might not be the best solution for another.

The question on build cost itself is actually a 'loaded' one. It's like asking how much does a meal cost in Udon Thani? I could eat rice soup every day but prefer not to. It's back to individual choice. Some of the individual wall tiles in my bathroom will cost 300 baht per tile. Not bragging, it's just a design we found that we want in our home and will be happy with. As LA likes to say, "vanilla, chocolate, strawberry". ;)

For those of you who can/have built a house you're happy with and at a low cost.......I salute you! =D> =D> =D> After all, getting what you want and are happy with at the lowest price is what it's all about! \:D/

ps - the pilings (29) have been driven for my foundation and concrete poured on top. Hopefully no more rain so the workers can keep moving along! :D

homer
udonmap.com

Post by homer » November 4, 2009, 1:21 pm

Have to agree with you Blue. I'm definitely going with the smartblock and lots of shade trees as well. I also am concerned about the cost of utilities down the road, and don't want to leave my loved ones with an electrical bill equivelant to a bloody mortgage payment. I'd rather pay the extra now and save later for more enjoyable things. \:D/

BkkBill
udonmap.com

Post by BkkBill » November 4, 2009, 1:38 pm

homer and lovedablues I like your thinking and am planning with the same idea in mind. Definitely Q or smart block plus shading. Although not for another year. As I also will be long gone with my wife having to survive on half my pensions think it is only right to pay now for peace of mind later.

Return to “House & Land”