Building a house (in the jungle).

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
philo
udonmap.com

Building a house (in the jungle).

Post by philo » May 29, 2006, 7:23 pm

I have read the threads here on house building as well as the threads on thaivisa.com. Being a relatively poor man who wants to build an Isarn-style house with a modern tropical look in the country side somewhere in Nong Khai for maximum 500 k - I herebye ask for any and all kind of information that could be useful: Telephone numbers for builders, construction material shops with decent prices, guys in Udon/Nong Khai who have been through the process before, people who are able to make a good sketch and so on.....

Thanks.

Mobaan
udonmap.com

House in the jungle

Post by Mobaan » May 30, 2006, 1:38 am

Why would you want to build in the jungle? Ok I can think of a million reasons ,but think about your way out before you enter this door .
Sometime in the future you may want or have to sell this place . How many falang want to live in the jungle ? some perhaps ,but you are limiting your potential number of takers considerably.

philo
udonmap.com

Post by philo » May 30, 2006, 12:34 pm

The jungle it will be. The best place to keep a wife is with her family. I myself will work in Udon/Bkk Mon-Fri and have a nice car to take me to my jungle weekends.

PS The best way to survive a Thai wife is to put the car (6 years downpayments) and the house (cheap with a lot of looooooong time DoItYourself work) in her name. At least you won't be in mortal danger until everything is paid for and finished...

Mobaan
udonmap.com

Jungle house

Post by Mobaan » May 30, 2006, 12:47 pm

I see you got a reason and a plan --good luck Tarzan.
Lets see some pics of your place once you get going.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » May 30, 2006, 2:12 pm

philo wrote:The jungle it will be. The best place to keep a wife is with her family. I myself will work in Udon/Bkk Mon-Fri and have a nice car to take me to my jungle weekends.

PS The best way to survive a Thai wife is to put the car (6 years downpayments) and the house (cheap with a lot of looooooong time DoItYourself work) in her name. At least you won't be in mortal danger until everything is paid for and finished...
there's a man who plans ahead. (well 6 years anyway). Image
Can You Dig It Dug.?

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » May 30, 2006, 4:22 pm

Philo, that sounds like prudent thinking. If it's in her name, pay for as much as you can over a long period, thus leaving yourself less exposed if something goes wrong.

I have known of people who have done that with both house and car, - making monthly repayments to the bank. Should they get kicked out early on, minus house and car they have not lost so much.

It's a shame to have to think like that, but so much of it does go on, you are right to protect yourself to best effect.

There are other ways to protect yourself with house purchases, which I'm sure a good lawyer would advise you about.

I guess you will have the cost of running 2 places with the situation you outline, though one maybe just a rented room.

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » May 30, 2006, 7:26 pm

This is our "jungle" house.

Punish the Liver

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » May 30, 2006, 7:44 pm

First I would assume the land is already paid for or part of the families land.

Eventwith that the cost of materials have sky rocketed in the past two years, not sure the house pictured could be done for that today, maybe.

A very small house with nothing elaborate. Labor costs won't be the problem these have heald very steady, but the cost of cememt and other material is much more expensive these day a conservatine guess 30%.

As far as outlets are concerned unless the want to play the farrang game they are going to be very close in pricing.

You can build something that keeps the rain out and if your really not using it much maybe thats enough

As far as a contractor there will be someone in the area that can build houses and would enjoy being closer to home for awhile. They are the same people who do the actual building in Udon anyway. Just ask around in the area where you want to build. I can asure yuo if you don't already own the land you have very slim chance of doing that in the Udon area proper.

I would be very intersted to see if you can accomplish that goal, I couldn't do it, but that means very little. Keep us posted please 8)

philo
udonmap.com

Post by philo » May 30, 2006, 9:58 pm

Thanks to all..

Q:
First I would assume the land is already paid for or part of the families land.

A: Her land it is and her house it will be. ALSO: Her parents used their land deeds as a guarantee for the car. GOOD family.

Q:
Eventwith that the cost of materials have sky rocketed in the past two years, not sure the house pictured could be done for that today, maybe.

A:
A long lasting small 'rain cover' can be built for 50+k. Just check out any Thai short time 'boom boom' resort. If you check out the governmental 'Ban Man Kong' and 'Ua Athorn' programs you will see that a decent small house can be built for 70-250k. I will make a 9x12 meter Isarn castle for max 500k (only the concrete pillars and the 1st floor concrete floor and wooden roof will be contracted - the rest I will do myself using bricks (a few baht each) and second hand wood (I love it: It has history, patina, nice colours and is cheap). And anyone who has ever seen the birth of an Isarn window will know that a panorama is the price of a few beers ....

Q:
There are other ways to protect yourself with house purchases, which I'm sure a good lawyer would advise you about.

A:
If someday I have to split with the girl, I don't want to live alone (or with another girl) 20 meters behind her parents house. Better get your passport and visa cards and get the f*** back to BKK.

Q:
I guess you will have the cost of running 2 places with the situation you outline, though one maybe just a rented room.

A: Yes. 3.5 k a month - and my employer pays for it. Even better: 2 places gives me the best of a family and the (now quite boring) nightlife.

Q:
there's a man who plans ahead. (well 6 years anyway).

A:
In five years time I will tell her we should trade inn the car for a brand new one and make an extention to the house (sic). This will give me another 6 years of protection. Lucky me ...

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » May 30, 2006, 10:27 pm

Sorted.Image
Can You Dig It Dug.?

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » June 9, 2006, 4:13 pm

I like that idea a Rain Out shelter, new type of housing design, need that foe here

Kally
Master Builder

Return to “House & Land”