Bloody Tookay

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
Chriss
udonmap.com

Bloody Tookay

Post by Chriss » July 23, 2010, 9:33 pm

How can I get rid of this bloody Tookay thats decided to relocate itself into my roof? Never see the thing just hear it all through the night.
The wife says leave it alone but she can sleep through anything..
Any sensible suggestions?

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Bloody Tookay

Post by parrot » July 23, 2010, 9:45 pm

Most tookays will hang out on the outer walls of the house at night, catching whatever bugs they can. Find yourself a thin bamboo pole, tie a slipknot on the end with some heavy string. Open the knot........slide it under the head of the tookay and pull. You can decide how to dispose of it.......but keep your fingers away until you're sure it's dead.
If you have insulation in your ceiling, they'll tear that up!

panick
udonmap.com

Post by panick » July 24, 2010, 2:25 am

Kill the F'Ker and offer it around the local restaurants ... prob get ฿100 :lol:

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » July 24, 2010, 7:16 am

Thanks parrot, I have a pole setup as you mention for removing snakes.
Sat outside for 2 or so hours last night, bugger never showed it's face, stayed in the roof calling out every 20 mins or so. No sleep again. Maybe I need to go up in the roof, I was wondering about the insulation, will take a look.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » July 24, 2010, 7:23 am

If it's really that much of a problem (earplugs?), I'm sure the locals will be only too pleased to catch, not kill, it for you. I'm not sure what happens to it then, to eat or a pet and even TW couldn't answer that - mind you, until she's eaten, nothing really functions! :lol: :roll:

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » July 24, 2010, 7:57 am

Learn to live with it, the tookay that comes to replace it may be bigger and noisier. I don't mind them and geckos, do a great job of keeping the bugs at bay. Every room in our house has a resident gecko (appear to be territorial as they do not tolerate intruders) we are on 1st name bases. I've got to admit I did evict one, it was about the size of a small alligator, sprayed some of TW's perfume on its tail and then blew on it. Sudden change of temperature had it scurrying off into the distance but sadly as it was splattered whilst negotiating the road.

SanukJoe
udonmap.com

Post by SanukJoe » July 24, 2010, 11:06 am

I'm 100% with you BD, get used to live with them, they are very useful animals.

I too have one living in the house together with 10-12 Gecko's. This squad takes care of all mosquitoes, flies and bugs, don't need a spray or repellents. The Tokay usually makes his sound at dawn, used to attract females (only males make the sound as far as I know). E.g. the Tokay in my living is quiet until everybody has gone to bed and the lights off, then he makes his sound (one opening yell and 8-10 "Tokay"), then it's quiet for the rest of the night.

Joe
Attachments
Tokay gecko 4 house-3.jpg
As a youngster, now 50% larger and blue-ish
Tokay gecko 4 house-3.jpg (229.87 KiB) Viewed 1625 times

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » July 24, 2010, 11:32 am

If the bugger gave only one shout all night I wouldn't bother about it, but every 20 mins or so is really pissing me.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 24, 2010, 11:37 am

Chriss you have been given advice on how to capture the bugger. Before you do so, I suggest you PM Joe for his address, so you can deliver it there following its incarceration. :D :D :D

SanukJoe
udonmap.com

Post by SanukJoe » July 24, 2010, 11:50 am

Jack, as BD mentioned before Tokay gecko's are very territorial and don't allow any male in their area.

A female wouldn't be a problem, but as they make no sound the OP would not bother about relocating.. 8)

As you and BD live in Bandung why you not inquire to have a Tokay yourself? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Joe

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 24, 2010, 12:03 pm

I am pretty territorial myself Joe, so I will happily pass on the tookay. :D

SanukJoe
udonmap.com

Post by SanukJoe » July 24, 2010, 12:21 pm

You too eat any intruders Jack? :D

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » July 24, 2010, 2:37 pm

If it's sex with a female he wants, why not simply oblige him. It works fairly well for noisy farang lizards all over Udon.

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » July 24, 2010, 2:48 pm

OT splattered a tookay on the side of his house using his flip flop. Took at least three good whacks for the thing to finally loose its grip. And on top of that I had to get the side of the house re painted.

OT......... \:D/

TicToc
udonmap.com

Post by TicToc » July 24, 2010, 2:55 pm

We have relocated about 27 of these so far and still have a load of smaller ones.
DSC01838_cr.jpg
DSC01838_cr.jpg (144.77 KiB) Viewed 1565 times

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » July 24, 2010, 3:06 pm

Ive got one of these tookgay things , seems to have taken perminant residence in my bedroom im not bothered as doesnt make any noise or owt seems to be house trained - but im at a loss as to how it got in there and where it hides ! i got afella round the catch it but after an hour searching and pulling out al the furniture no where to be seen , then later that night the bugger was there as large as life , the girlfriend wont sleep with me any more i reckon shes using it as an excuse -- cos she cant stand all that pleasure in one sitting !!

SanukJoe
udonmap.com

Post by SanukJoe » July 24, 2010, 3:23 pm

Tictoc, if you would have left one male you would not have more then one in/around the house. If a second one is seen it's a female.
As long as you take away a male another male will take his place (and chase away any other males).

Therefor my advice: leave them alone, they will sort out who is the boss and the others will go look for another place to live.

Joe

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » July 24, 2010, 5:07 pm

Whaohoooo, the deed has been done, the noisy bugger is no more. Shouldn't have shown it's face while I was outside my bedroom.... It kind of looked at me and froze so a good whack or two with a broom handle and it fell to the floor. The fish in the lake are all happy to recieve a free meal. Problem solved.

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » July 24, 2010, 6:32 pm

Chriss wrote:Whaohoooo, the deed has been done, the noisy bugger is no more. Shouldn't have shown it's face while I was outside my bedroom.... It kind of looked at me and froze so a good whack or two with a broom handle and it fell to the floor. The fish in the lake are all happy to recieve a free meal. Problem solved.
Well done that man - now take thoust broom handle into the pienmash room of snoring and orgasmics and get the bloody tookgay ive got sharing my sleeping quarters.
Watch out the animal rights folks dont nail you !!

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » July 25, 2010, 9:38 am

Would be an honour, just have to wait til her in the house has finished her daily sweeping chores......... hope she doesn't read this..;-(

Return to “House & Land”