elec power

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
phayakk12
udonmap.com

elec power

Post by phayakk12 » September 10, 2010, 1:39 pm

For my new place 4 bed 4 bath 4Ac just for the build I ran 4poles down the the paddie. I want to come in off the main road that is high voltage only the wife asked and was told 90,000 bt for the transfomer to run straight to house. Does this sound about right? Thanks for any input. Tim

TicToc
udonmap.com

Re: elec power

Post by TicToc » September 10, 2010, 5:44 pm

3 years ago,i paid 80000 baht for 8 concrete poles to get power to my place. Electric company did not want to know realy.
Would not move the meter,so that is still at the far end.To clarify,40000 for the poles,drilling,and placement and 40000
for the cable and connection.The cable was the heavy black one.
Also when we were up and running the power company had installed a meter that charges you double the normal rate for a year,and a 6000 baht returnable deposit.The power company did return the deposit and changed the meter after a year,took a bit of badgering though.
Hope this helps.

phayakk12
udonmap.com

Post by phayakk12 » September 10, 2010, 6:11 pm

Thank you. Just tring to get good idea of what kind of deal I am going to get.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » September 10, 2010, 6:52 pm

many years ago i also get ridiculous prices from the electric co, what i did is all the poles you need to put on YOUR land , you can order them in a local shop like i did , payed 800bath for one, now must be a little bit more expensive, i hired local people to put them..., more headache a little bit , but a lot more money in my pocket..., about transformer i have no idea,you must ask how many amps you need in your home as you are going to use 4 aircon, i also have 4 aircon ,and have 30amp, as of the heavy black cable tictoc mentioned, this has to do with the amounts of amps you get, f.e i have 30 amps my cable is 45amps, also all this cable you can buy your self more cheap than with electr, co.( in global), as from meter to home your problem..., pay local electrician to install them...

fremmel
udonmap.com

Post by fremmel » September 11, 2010, 8:04 am

I think the price you got is probably not inclusive. They probably won't give you a real price until they come out and look at your property and see where the transformer will actually be. At least that's what happened to me. My wife talked to PEA and got the price of the transformer. But then when they actually came out to give a written estimate with everything included it was significantly higher.

I put mine in 2 years ago. Despite assurances from the electric company that the transformer was ours and no one else could tap into it, I had them mount it 20 meters inside our property line to forestall a neighbor hooking up later. That involved putting in 2 extra poles for the high voltage line. Altogether for the smallest transformer they use (150 amp), 2 poles, meter (100 amp), wiring, installation, deposit, etc. it came out to an amazing 170,000 baht. And that didn't even include running the service line to the house. I had a contractor put in the 60 meter run from the meter to the house for 100 amp service and that involved 2 more poles, wire, and installation for 20,000 baht.

We did call around and get prices from private contractors for buying and installing the transformer. They were only a few thousand baht cheaper but they were located much farther away. I decided it was worth the extra to be able to call the local PEA office if we had a problem rather than possibly have a 2 or 3 day power outage.

I have a 4 bedroom, 4 AC house and 100 amp service is way over for what we need. But since I had to get a 150 amp transformer I decided to go ahead and put in the 100 amp service in case we do something power intensive on the farm later on. Bumping up from 45 amp wasn't that much more on top of what I already had to spend.

Return to “House & Land”