Planning a Swimming Pool

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
747man
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by 747man » August 25, 2013, 6:28 pm

I've just tested the PH Balance and water clarity in mine......Perfect So just a little Chlorine Powder 1st time for a week & All is O.K.... :D

Bought 20 Kilos of Poolchlorine last week cost 3,000 Baht,Was I ripped off or not, I've dealt with the same pool guy for 6 years or so now, But this is the 1st time I've bought the powder from him, I used to use the Chlorine tablets fro Global House, But they've gotten very expensive recently..... :shock: :shock:

kopkei
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by kopkei » August 25, 2013, 6:39 pm

i pay the 90% ( you also have 60% , but 90 better) tablets to put in the floating chlorinator 150baht/kilo,
i think the powder is around 100baht a kilo , i will let you know next week as i must go buy some tablets...
my water test is also mostly good , in some period of the year the ph easy go up , to solve with a little of hydrochloride acid , my soda ash in case to low PH i all ready have 10years , had to use it maybe 2 times... ;)

WhoUrDaddy
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by WhoUrDaddy » August 25, 2013, 6:42 pm

50 kilos / 5000 Thai brand... 6000 baht Jap brand

kopkei
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by kopkei » August 25, 2013, 6:56 pm

you also have granulate which i use sometimes to quick fix a sudden chlorine drop...do not remember this price ,
80baht/kilo? , i do not need to use this so much , as i told before no need of a lot chemicals in my pool... ;)

Barney
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by Barney » August 25, 2013, 10:39 pm

Alchai wrote:Well thanks for all the inputs, there shure is a lot to consider befoere actually building a pool and as pointed out a few times I need to be really certain that I think the cost and the hassle is worth it. My garden is not big enough for a large pool like LilReds (really nice pool by the way) so if I decide to go ahead with this I would definatly be looking at DIY options and also as Barney mentioned composite pools. These must be less worries when it comes to the structial integrity I would think. Does anyone have any experience with composite pools? Also, only one posted a comment on putting a roof over the pool. I actually think it is a very smart idea but maybe I am missing something! :?
I cannot help with covers for pools other than to say that sails were popular long ago in australia and are now sold in hardware stores. Best way was to go down to the old yacht club and ask about old sails from members.

Also try a web site i have been checking out for house designs for when i eventually build next year in UT. You provide your email and they allow you in an send minimal updates. it is a public site for people to enter their own designs and ask questions. You can click on any section of a house interior or outside includiong pools and outdoor entertaining areas , landscaping etc. 1000's of photos to get ideas.
Other UM memebers will get some new and modern ideas maybe for thier houses.
www.houzz.com

Good luck

broon97
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by broon97 » September 11, 2013, 12:32 pm

Having read all the opinions expressed we have decided that we still want to have a pool. Not interested in self build so my question is can anyone recommend a pool supplier and builder? I have looked at JD but their prices seemed a bit inflated.
Any ideas?

redwolf
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by redwolf » September 11, 2013, 1:48 pm

broon97 wrote:Having read all the opinions expressed we have decided that we still want to have a pool. Not interested in self build so my question is can anyone recommend a pool supplier and builder? I have looked at JD but their prices seemed a bit inflated.
Any ideas?
Hi Broon97,

This one has a new banner on Udonmap,

http://www.poolcompany-thailand.com/en.html

They are fluent in multiple languages including English.
AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

cactus
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by cactus » September 11, 2013, 3:52 pm

broon97 wrote:Having read all the opinions expressed we have decided that we still want to have a pool. Not interested in self build so my question is can anyone recommend a pool supplier and builder? I have looked at JD but their prices seemed a bit inflated.
Any ideas?
just picked up some prices from phukit swimming pool builder on the ring rd, last shop just before home mart drive in. pools start at 400,000 to 1,500,000. concrete, vinyl or fiberglass. there num is; 042322815. hope this is some help to you.

Perra
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by Perra » September 11, 2013, 4:18 pm

Hi

I can gladly recommended the guy who build our pool, if interested pm me and I give you his contact info.

Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by Sakhonnick » September 12, 2013, 8:05 am

Well good luck and hope it works out just make sure you get guarantee with it that was my mistake but even if had that imagine trying to claim from it

When I think back to both my old houses and pools here in Thailand I can only sigh with relieve that they are behind me, the village pool is enough for me to use a few times per week

Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by Sakhonnick » September 12, 2013, 8:05 am

B

leterry60614
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by leterry60614 » July 19, 2016, 6:16 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m-Dgwt_u1ug

DIY Natural Swimming Pool Clip Description

This short video documents our natural swimming pool building experience. It breaks down the construction process in easy steps, gives tips and costs indications.

This is more of a proof of concept as the pool is very small, 4x4x1.5m and it's out of question to swim. But it cools you down nicely and kids love it. Construction was done in Issan, northern Thailand, more precisely in the village of Nayung, Udon Thani.

The concept of a natural swimming pool promises clean and clear water without using chemicals for water treatment but does it work in tropical climates like in Thailand? Natural pools have been used safely in Western Europe for the last three decades. Just last year, a public natural swimming pool opened in Kings Cross, London, UK. Before that, hordes of Austrian, German and French nature fans have enjoyed swimming in them. However, it's so hot in Thailand with water temperatures often over 30C, that questions were asked about the effectiveness of the under gravel filter and plants for regenerating the pool water.

To address this issue we made the regeneration zone deeper with the gravel layer one meter below the water level. That made it more complicated to find plants with long enough roots to reach the gravel. Of course we use water lilies and then elected to build floating baskets filled with gravel. We are growing rice and over local plants in them. Another advantage of floating baskets is that they provide nice shade. Also, we believe that we are protecting our good bacteria in the gravel layer by turning off the air pump during peak hot hours.

The entire project costed less than 2,300 USD but it tested our patience as all the labor came from our village and obviously folks take care of their farm first. The quality of work was good especially the cement and tiles parts. We installed the under gravel, pipes and pump ourselves.

In spite of extreme weather; all day long heavy rain and scorching sun in other days, we have kept the same water for the last quarter and it's clear, clean and without any smell. It got cloudy in the second week before the "good" bacterial kicked in but it gradually cleared-up. My Thai wife loves to take a dip in the pool and that's a proof of success!

Finally, we'd like to thank David Butler for all the reliable information posted on Internet.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by Khun Paul » July 20, 2016, 4:35 pm

Having read all the posts about the pros and cons of having a swimming pool and I must say some lok really good, I always remember my good friend in Vegas, he could afford three or four swimming polls Olypic standards ones and a few boats buit he stated and he is right of course that why dig a hole in the ground and pour money into it. I could affird a pool but the upkeep and maintenance is so much ( from him that was quite an admission ) that it is not cost effective, while I sometimes wonder why I do not have one, for a few dollars a month I can use some of the best pools in town 365 days of the year, the guests pay for the pool I just tip the manager.
I lust say even here for a few baht I can enjoy should I want to a swimming pool maintained by others and zero maintenance, more coming almost monthly. It would be nice , but like my friend why pour money into a hole in the groud, the only time you do that is if you are buried and then at least you do not have to maintain it !!!

leterry60614
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by leterry60614 » July 20, 2016, 5:03 pm

There is some wisdom in what you say about pools, Khun Paul. It's very true that the cost of maintaining a conventional 'blue water' pool is high. For those that decided to own one, natural swimming pool prove to be a good alternative as there isn't any need to buy expensive chemicals and related filtering equipment... without going into the health hazard of pouring gallons of chlorine in your pool.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by Khun Paul » July 21, 2016, 6:23 am

Yes it would appear that the Natural Pools are becoming more advantageous, but having watched various programmes on the TV about these, it would appear that a natural source of water is also preferable with water flows to accommodate the flow in bad water to maintain it, that will require a considerable landscaping task to ensure gravity flows etc. All in all Istill feel that using one maintained by others whenever I need it is still the best and by far the cheapest option.
Had I been 20 odd years younger I might have planned and installed said pool , and obviously brought my house where mother nature would have helped, now approaching 70, I feel money is better spent on other luxuries and ones that I will enjoy rather than spend money to accommodate diminishing desire to throw myself into a pool whenever it get s tad warm.

JohnG
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by JohnG » July 25, 2016, 12:52 am

Aren't "natural swimming pools" usually called 'ponds'? ... or if the water's flowing, called 'lakes'?

fatbob
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by fatbob » July 25, 2016, 7:26 am

JohnG wrote: by JohnG » July 25, 2016, 12:52 am

Aren't "natural swimming pools" usually called 'ponds'? ... or if the water's flowing, called 'lakes'?
No.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by Lone Star » July 25, 2016, 9:42 am

Last edited by Lone Star on October 18, 2019, 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Barney
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by Barney » July 25, 2016, 10:42 am

In watched all the documentaries from the states on how the USA citizens lived, that was many years ago now and on one particular show the owner always referred to his swimming location as the Cement Pond.
Elle May and Jethro were always out there frolicking. :lol:

fatbob
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by fatbob » July 25, 2016, 10:53 am

They are referred to as swimming pools, they are for humans to swim in, not for fish. Although alias man probably calls his bathtub a pond.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/natu ... szgoe.aspx
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_pool
http://www.naturalswimmingpools.com/

Return to “House & Land”