Planning a Swimming Pool

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
Alchai
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by Alchai » August 23, 2013, 3:09 pm

I'm currently planning on building a pool in the coming dry period and I am having difficulty making up my mind on most things regarding the build. One item is an idea I have of putting a roof over the pool. My reasons for this are:
- Protetcion from sun on skin
- Protection from rain water mixing with the pool water
- Protection from sun breaking down the chlorine

Another problem is actually deciding on what type of pool to buy.

If anyone wants to comment these or other items regarding swimmimg pools please do so.

Thanks!

We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now

Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by Sakhonnick » August 23, 2013, 3:18 pm

Please take my advice:

Do not build one!!!!

why? because i have had 2 pools here in Thailand and both became huge problems and money pits.

If you have plenty money and dont care about the cost then by all means go for it.

If you are living on a budget please think twice before you do it.

But....if you do, build it here are some things to take in.

1. Salt Pool is the way to go, easy on your equipment and grout and your eyes when swimming
2. get a pool builder who gives you a 10year Structure guarantee on the concrete from cracking
3. Dont build a pool with a deep end over 1.8meters

They are great but end up turning into Garden features, maintenance and water costs and repairs go up and up

Up to you!!! dont say u not been warned \:D/

GARYZX6R
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by GARYZX6R » August 23, 2013, 3:32 pm

Have to agree 100% with Nick ,nothing but trouble and expense.Had mine for 4yrs now, fautly pumps, tiles falling off expensive chemicals etc. :(

Astana
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by Astana » August 23, 2013, 3:55 pm

I don't have a swimming pool not because I wouldn't like to have one and did think seriously about getting one, but having seen the problems that a neighbour has had (involving a court case) and a nearby resort pool that I use when it's open due to all kinds of problems (mostly structural and serious enough to close it for weeks on end) I decided not to indulge.

Although at first I regretted my decision a kind of reserve buyers regret, I can honestly say now I don't regret that decision.

As Nick said... "Up to you!!! dont say u not been warned"

WhoUrDaddy
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by WhoUrDaddy » August 23, 2013, 4:35 pm

is there a budget ?

above, or above put in ground. in-ground, how deep, how big ? DIY or contracted ? tile and or fiberglass / paint and or fiberglass ?

have you owned pool before and taken care of ? actually it's very easy and inexpensive.

dingdong
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by dingdong » August 23, 2013, 5:29 pm

Wanted one also and was impressed with JD Pools across from Global BUT then the wife talked to others and heard about all the extras that came with owning a pool, frogs, worms and snakes. So that saved me 700,000 plus
Good Luck
Ding

747man
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by 747man » August 23, 2013, 6:22 pm

I've had mine for about 6 Years now, Only had a couple of problems, Pump Get swamped in " The Floods " & Burnt out had to replace for new one cost 50,000 Baht,Also other slight problem was growing Black Algae but sorted that out with a few litres of Hydrocholric Acid & A Good brush....Used to be Salt Water,But Not now just regular ( 3 times a week ) A Couple of Litres of Chlorine..

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by pienmash » August 24, 2013, 2:28 am

747man wrote:I've had mine for about 6 Years now, Only had a couple of problems, Pump Get swamped in " The Floods " & Burnt out had to replace for new one cost 50,000 Baht,Also other slight problem was growing Black Algae but sorted that out with a few litres of Hydrocholric Acid & A Good brush....Used to be Salt Water,But Not now just regular ( 3 times a week ) A Couple of Litres of Chlorine..
474 ..... are you still claiming UK winter fuel allowance >>?? maybe this can off set your swimming pool expenses here in LOS , maybe you are still living with yer mam or yer gran is helping out .. and the exorbitant prices of breakfast cereals here ??

dogger
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by dogger » August 24, 2013, 2:59 am

Had pools over the years, worked out now the best pool (or yacht) is someone else's.
WE have easy access to a nice pool over the back fence, paid for a operated by a kind friend.

Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by Sakhonnick » August 24, 2013, 7:45 am

2 for

5 against so far

take the advice and keep your money and pay for a swim each time, my house in sakon i had room for a pool in the garden, it was the last thing i would of done, i spend 30,000 on a welder and built my own outside shack grass roof BBQ area, i get more enjoyment from that than i ever did from Pools, Id hate to add up what i spent on pools then devide it up with swims i took, ouch!!!

kopkei
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by kopkei » August 24, 2013, 7:50 am

what all rubbish here ....we are building our new home and it includes a small pool 6x4m( finished all ready) , as in our old home we have had a pool for 10years without any problems , all 2 pool with DE filter which is filtering way better than sand filter, and as of expensive pool products , :lol: ...sorry , 1 bag of DE powder 1.000 baht 22.5kg, chlorine tablets 150baht/kilo used in a floating chlorinator..., soda ash do not remember the price , still have left from former pool...and hydrochloride acid in case the PH is to high, 300 baht /20L....and all these items last more than a year...even several years ( soda) , as of maintenance we come back to having a good filter ,( so stay away from jd pool with their coffee bag filter that is hardly filtering anything and must be cleaned several times a day to have a descent result) you have less maintenance as almost none , only vacuuming the pool every 2-4 day's depending the usage , my former pool was 10 x 5m and it took me 30minutes to vacuum ...maybe all ready to much work for some...
what the pump concerning , buy a good pump ( stay away from cheap chinese rubbish,global..enc..), with my first pool i have had a sta-rite (waterford) set pump &DE filter and is still running after more than 10years ,never broke down, now i have opted for a haywarth pump 1HP and DE filter
pump 16.000 baht /DE filter 28.000...due to a good discount in the shop...was quoted 61.000 baht at another shop for the same set....last remark , the pools where self build what was 1/3 cheaper as the swim companies....
and the pools never had sun or rain protection , and i never have had any problems...
good luck... ;)

Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by Sakhonnick » August 24, 2013, 8:08 am

you have been lucky, trust me my pools were just headache after headache, but even factoring in your costs and water expence is it really that worth it? oh you forget to add power costs also that keeps the pumps running.

Add it all up and work out how much you use it and it starts to look like a joke what you pay per swim, 50baht down at a local pool ends up being a much cheaper and less headache option.

But the guy will do what he wants and if he goes ahead with it dont be shy to let us know how its going in a few years time, again you have been warned!!

LilRed
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by LilRed » August 24, 2013, 8:54 am

I be the neighbor Astana ref'd...

Odd how 2 folks lookin at the same situation, often describe it differently...

From my POV, my pool is the best 1.5 mil BHT I have ever spent.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by fatbob » August 24, 2013, 9:05 am

Worked for a pool company in Phuket, we installed over 800 systems in my time there, would I own one? No way, invest in an air conditioner instead! To much rain in Thailand for a salt water chlorinator, to much expense on chemical, DE filters are rubbish, sand filter with glass media works exactly the same as DE on microns, make friends with kopkei and use his pool.

LilRed
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by LilRed » August 24, 2013, 9:10 am

See pics.
DSC00368.JPG

ATB
Attachments
Jem7a.jpg

Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by Sakhonnick » August 24, 2013, 9:52 am

coxo wrote:Worked for a pool company in Phuket, we installed over 800 systems in my time there, would I own one? No way, invest in an air conditioner instead! To much rain in Thailand for a salt water chlorinator, to much expense on chemical, DE filters are rubbish, sand filter with glass media works exactly the same as DE on microns, make friends with kopkei and use his pool.

wow, if that alone does not tell you, nothing will.

but in the defense of the pool positive quotes, yes ill admit it was very nice to have a pool, they look great when they are new and nothing quite like jumping into your own private pool, my advice is based on long term, eventually maintenance over takes the sweet start and then for some reason you start to use it less and less, the novelty wares off. If money is no object go for it, if your budgeting your income my advice is don't build one

747man
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by 747man » August 24, 2013, 9:58 am

pienmash wrote:
747man wrote:I've had mine for about 6 Years now, Only had a couple of problems, Pump Get swamped in " The Floods " & Burnt out had to replace for new one cost 50,000 Baht,Also other slight problem was growing Black Algae but sorted that out with a few litres of Hydrocholric Acid & A Good brush....Used to be Salt Water,But Not now just regular ( 3 times a week ) A Couple of Litres of Chlorine..
474 ..... are you still claiming UK winter fuel allowance >>?? maybe this can off set your swimming pool expenses here in LOS , maybe you are still living with yer mam or yer gran is helping out .. and the exorbitant prices of breakfast cereals here ??
No is the answer to you're first question ( Not yet anyway ) :shock: I'm not of age YET !!! And No to the second one, Leave my Dear old Mam & Gran out of it......O.K. ?? Now The EXORBITANT Price ( In SOME Shops ) of Breakfast Cereals........Well that is more SERIOUS.... :shock: :shock:

Techland
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by Techland » August 24, 2013, 10:14 am

With all the tress around it, all I can say is: happy cleaning :|

Friends of us have rented several houses down in Pattya, always with swimming pools, and those ate their hair from their heads (as we say in Germany). Much too expensive keeping it clean and working! [-X

Another friend outside Udon did what seems to be the best thing: put a simple house (roof and walls) around the pool, with glass windows everywhere. This way the pool stays clean, you can go swimming with lights in the night without getting attacked by millions of insects, and of course the shadow of the roof prevents heating it up. Due to less cleaning the maintenance costs are down as well. But open pool - never for me (unless I win in the lottery).

kopkei
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by kopkei » August 24, 2013, 10:35 am

so my filter on my old swim worked 6 hours a day, the pump was 0.6kw,
meaning 6x0.6=3.6kw a day x 3.6baht /kw= 12,96baht/day x365 = 4.730 baht/year on electric...tail here..
i am sure some people spent more money on more idiotic things...not going into this...
now DE filter or sand filter will be up to each his own preference , easy to check on internet which one is performing better, only i can say that my friend in gorath whom has a swim too , has had many problems with the pool , due to the sand filter even with zeolite ....never clear water as mine ....the new pump (and smaller swim )is using 0,75kw/h
and i only have to open it 3hours a day , meaning 2.956 baht/yearly.... and a lot expensive chemicals in the pool ? ,
in my case not at all.... btw lilred nice pool ....
and coxo make friends with kopkei and use his pool...., my home is not a farang chicken farm :D , maybe that is why people put a private swim... so for those whom have a swimming pool enjoy it ,and those who don't , you can always open your aircon (that uses way more electric than your pool pump )and look tv all day... ;)

Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by Sakhonnick » August 24, 2013, 10:56 am

Ok lets look at it this way

lets say the pool cost 1,000,000 to build and it gives you 10 solid years with no hassle (unlikely but lets say it does) after 10years for sure it will need cleaning and regrouting tiles etc, pumps, filters bla bla bla

Pool cost 1,000,000
10 years electric at your 3,000/year 30,000
10years chemicals lets say the same 30,000

1,060,000 / 3650 days

290baht a day and thats if you swim daily!! double that if you swim 3/4times week

again if you can afford it do it, if not think twice and ask is it really worth it?

Return to “House & Land”