Planning a Swimming Pool

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
User avatar
747man
udonmap.com
Posts: 10000
Joined: March 25, 2007, 2:22 pm

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by 747man » July 25, 2016, 1:15 pm

Barney wrote:In watched all the documentaries from the states on how the USA citizens lived, that was many years ago now and on one particular show the owner always referred to his swimming location as the Cement Pond.
Elle May and Jethro were always out there frolicking. :lol:
I Would have liked to FROLICK With Ellie May as well... :lol: :lol:



User avatar
FrazeeDK
udonmap.com
Posts: 3739
Joined: February 13, 2006, 2:02 am
Location: Udon Thani Thailand

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by FrazeeDK » July 25, 2016, 4:26 pm

Googled the natural pond thing and found it quite interesting.. I have two fish ponds on one side of our property that could possibly be managed in such a way as to clean up the water and make them swimmable.. Both are 2-3 meters deep even in the dryest of the dry season... Nowadays they're 4-5 meters deep....
Dave

User avatar
leterry60614
udonmap.com
Posts: 155
Joined: February 22, 2007, 8:07 am
Location: Chicago

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by leterry60614 » July 26, 2016, 11:19 pm

Call it a natural swimming pool or a natural swimming pond.
The goal is to maintain the water clean and safe for people to swim without using any chemical. The proof is in my garden, it's possible even in Thailand where it's hot and humide.
My pool is made with cement and tiles because I like the blue water effect. But you don't have to use cement and then it's more like a swimming pond.

User avatar
fatbob
udonmap.com
Posts: 1964
Joined: July 14, 2009, 7:19 pm

Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by fatbob » July 27, 2016, 8:10 am

leterry60614 wrote:My pool is made with cement and tiles because I like the blue water effect. But you don't have to use cement and then it's more like a swimming pond.
The natural swimming pools if not concrete use a water proof liner.

passedout
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: October 18, 2015, 9:35 pm

Re: Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by passedout » August 20, 2016, 2:46 am

leterry60614 wrote:Call it a natural swimming pool or a natural swimming pond.
The goal is to maintain the water clean and safe for people to swim without using any chemical. The proof is in my garden, it's possible even in Thailand where it's hot and humide.
My pool is made with cement and tiles because I like the blue water effect. But you don't have to use cement and then it's more like a swimming pond.
Interesting if it works well even in this climate. How big is it? Can you swim in it or is it just for cooling down...

User avatar
fatbob
udonmap.com
Posts: 1964
Joined: July 14, 2009, 7:19 pm

Re: Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by fatbob » August 20, 2016, 10:41 am

passedout wrote:
leterry60614 wrote:Call it a natural swimming pool or a natural swimming pond.
The goal is to maintain the water clean and safe for people to swim without using any chemical. The proof is in my garden, it's possible even in Thailand where it's hot and humide.
My pool is made with cement and tiles because I like the blue water effect. But you don't have to use cement and then it's more like a swimming pond.
Interesting if it works well even in this climate. How big is it? Can you swim in it or is it just for cooling down...
\

Google 'Natural swimming pool' and your question shall be answered.

passedout
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: October 18, 2015, 9:35 pm

Re: Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by passedout » August 20, 2016, 5:10 pm

coxo wrote:
passedout wrote:
leterry60614 wrote:Call it a natural swimming pool or a natural swimming pond.
The goal is to maintain the water clean and safe for people to swim without using any chemical. The proof is in my garden, it's possible even in Thailand where it's hot and humide.
My pool is made with cement and tiles because I like the blue water effect. But you don't have to use cement and then it's more like a swimming pond.
Interesting if it works well even in this climate. How big is it? Can you swim in it or is it just for cooling down...
\

Google 'Natural swimming pool' and your question shall be answered.
I did that sometime ago. My question wasn't a general one but it was aimed to find out whether leterry60614's personal natural pool was big enough to swim in it, I.E. 15 + mts long or just a 4x4 mts or thereabout paddle pool. I would be interested to know whether bigger size natural pools work well in this climate in the long run.

User avatar
leterry60614
udonmap.com
Posts: 155
Joined: February 22, 2007, 8:07 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by leterry60614 » August 15, 2017, 8:04 pm

My natural swimming pool one year later. Haven't changed the water ever, it's all rain water and zero chemicals. Water is clean and clear, check it yourself in the YouTube video below.

https://youtu.be/tg-wizZs_rs

User avatar
leterry60614
udonmap.com
Posts: 155
Joined: February 22, 2007, 8:07 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by leterry60614 » August 15, 2017, 8:08 pm

There is the original video with all details, size, costs, ...etc...

https://youtu.be/m-Dgwt_u1ug

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com
Posts: 802
Joined: April 16, 2016, 9:20 am

Re: Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by Marcosteffano » August 16, 2017, 12:12 am

I kept koi in the uk,used all sorts to keep the water clear.uv lights,ozone steriliser in the end I turned them off and used a micro bacteria made by viresco uk.it eats the crap that causes algae.water was like gin.it dies off in the winter as its a bacteria andneeds a well oxygenated pond.i used it for years and even had contact with the company about importing it here and demonstrating the benefits of a totally salt,chlorine free pool.in fact I should pull my finger out but my swimming pool is around 150 cubic metres of water and would need a complete change off water and flush of system.as the climate is warm it will multiply so maybe a single dose may last a long long time.the only problem may be the rain changing the ph of the water quickly and the pollutants in rain water.

User avatar
Khun Paul
udonmap.com
Posts: 3618
Joined: September 16, 2008, 3:28 pm
Location: Udon Thani

Re: Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by Khun Paul » August 17, 2017, 8:53 am

Many years ago , I went to vegas and stayed with a friend of mine , I commented on why he did not have a swimming pool ( he could afford anything he wanted to ). His reply has stayed with me for ever.
he replied, while it is nice to be able to fall into a pool, paddle about even swim, the majority of the time it just sits there and costs money to upkeep, while the money is not a problem the bloody expense and the hassle IS.
it is like a boat, why buy something you hav e to keep putting money into and over the years they do deteriorate. So no thanks, there are enough Hotels and other places I can go to swim, and all it costs me is a small fee and some gas.
he then said that you put money into a woman but instead of just sitting there she does have her uses ( laughing ) .

So anyone wanting to build a pool, up to you but like buying a boat/bar etc, it is a waste of money.

User avatar
Udon Map
Admin
Posts: 1471
Joined: July 31, 2013, 7:57 pm

Re: Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by Udon Map » August 17, 2017, 2:44 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
August 17, 2017, 8:53 am
So anyone wanting to build a pool, up to you but like buying a boat/bar etc, it is a waste of money.
One could, of course, make the same argument about virtually all non-necessities. Take beer. Sure, one buys it; but in reality, you only rent it for a relatively short bit of time.

User avatar
Barney
udonmap.com
Posts: 2915
Joined: November 1, 2012, 5:51 am
Location: Outback of Nong Samrong Udon Thani

Re: Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by Barney » August 17, 2017, 3:01 pm

Khun Paul wrote almost exactly 12 months ago

Having read all the posts about the pros and cons of having a swimming pool and I must say some lok really good, I always remember my good friend in Vegas, he could afford three or four swimming polls Olypic standards ones and a few boats buit he stated and he is right of course that why dig a hole in the ground and pour money into it. I could affird a pool but the upkeep and maintenance is so much ( from him that was quite an admission ) that it is not cost effective, while I sometimes wonder why I do not have one, for a few dollars a month I can use some of the best pools in town 365 days of the year, the guests pay for the pool I just tip the manager.
I lust say even here for a few baht I can enjoy should I want to a swimming pool maintained by others and zero maintenance, more coming almost monthly. It would be nice , but like my friend why pour money into a hole in the groud, the only time you do that is if you are buried and then at least you do not have to maintain it !!!

then writes
Khun Paul wrote:
August 17, 2017, 8:53 am
Many years ago , I went to vegas and stayed with a friend of mine , I commented on why he did not have a swimming pool ( he could afford anything he wanted to ). His reply has stayed with me for ever.
he replied, while it is nice to be able to fall into a pool, paddle about even swim, the majority of the time it just sits there and costs money to upkeep, while the money is not a problem the bloody expense and the hassle IS.
it is like a boat, why buy something you hav e to keep putting money into and over the years they do deteriorate. So no thanks, there are enough Hotels and other places I can go to swim, and all it costs me is a small fee and some gas.
he then said that you put money into a woman but instead of just sitting there she does have her uses ( laughing ) .

So anyone wanting to build a pool, up to you but like buying a boat/bar etc, it is a waste of money.
Is there an echo in here???

Paul,

Don't be so sad in life mate.

My enjoyment is watching the young ones grow now and invite friends to have fun on a hot day. Of course money is art of all equations.
There are those who swim in my pool who would never have the chance or want to even go to the local pools. Including the mother in law. :D

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com
Posts: 802
Joined: April 16, 2016, 9:20 am

Re: Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by Marcosteffano » August 17, 2017, 4:17 pm

It all depends on how you look at it.how much pish is in this pool and how much is in mine.anyway I love to do a length every other month.i once touched the bottom of the deep end too.i class it as a luxury and don't like sharing a bath with strangers to save a few baht.same can be said for people who build big houses with multiple bedrooms on loads of rai and could really live in an apartment or mr n mrs with their 7 seater fortuna when a smart car would do.a swimming pool don't have to be a problem if the set up is right and don't cost a lot if you use time of use electric,that's cheap night time electric.anyway it's getting a bit hot and I'm off for a splash in the jacuzzi.
Attachments
IMG_1935.JPG
IMG_1323.JPG

dingdong
udonmap.com
Posts: 491
Joined: December 25, 2012, 9:25 pm

Re: Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by dingdong » August 17, 2017, 5:02 pm

If one takes this logic of putting in a pool and thinking one is pissing away his/her money then the same can be said for the type of vehicle you drive. Why buy a Fortunner when a Yaris will suffice . It goes from A to B and is cheaper. Or, why eat a steak when a bowl of rice soup will suffice.

The logic behind putting in a private pool in ones yard is because "I want to" It is not "I need one " but is "I WANT ONE"

dingdong
udonmap.com
Posts: 491
Joined: December 25, 2012, 9:25 pm

Re: Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by dingdong » August 17, 2017, 5:05 pm

Marcosteffano
You mention that electricity is cheaper at night ? How is that???

User avatar
UdonThaniPete
udonmap.com
Posts: 153
Joined: April 5, 2017, 9:55 am
Location: Udon Thani

Re: Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by UdonThaniPete » August 17, 2017, 5:12 pm

[quote=dingdong post_id=493012 time=1502964159 user_id=29308

The logic behind putting in a private pool in ones yard is because "I want to" It is not "I need one " but is "I WANT ONE"
[/quote]

Absolutely agreed, I am so happy I went ahead with mine, biggest advise I would give is finding a good contractor, I done a whole lot of research before going ahead and found a great company based here in Udon.

Here's a vid showing start to finish installation, it took a total of 3 days and as good today as when installed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FLGtAqJHi-Q
A pessimist see’s a difficulty in every opportunity,
A optimist see’s an opportunity in every difficulty,
I am the latter.

User avatar
747man
udonmap.com
Posts: 10000
Joined: March 25, 2007, 2:22 pm

Re: Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by 747man » August 17, 2017, 5:22 pm

dingdong wrote:
August 17, 2017, 5:05 pm
Marcosteffano
You mention that electricity is cheaper at night ? How is that???
It IS Yer know Dingdong, As it's a CHEAPER Tariff It's called " Off Peak "... :shock: :D :D

Fatone
udonmap.com
Posts: 107
Joined: March 1, 2017, 6:37 pm
Location: Saraburi Thailand

Re: Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by Fatone » August 17, 2017, 5:25 pm

That looks fantastic UTPete. Care to tell us the finished cost?

User avatar
UdonThaniPete
udonmap.com
Posts: 153
Joined: April 5, 2017, 9:55 am
Location: Udon Thani

Re: Planning a Swimming Pool

Post by UdonThaniPete » August 17, 2017, 5:33 pm

Fatone wrote:
August 17, 2017, 5:25 pm
That looks fantastic UTPete. Care to tell us the finished cost?
Thank you Fatone, it was 3 years ago now, but I believe it cost us around 800k Baht, that was for the pool and lighting, in pool jacuzzi , "AA" Italian tiles around the pool and all the pebble dashing Walkways.
A pessimist see’s a difficulty in every opportunity,
A optimist see’s an opportunity in every difficulty,
I am the latter.

Post Reply

Return to “House & Land”