US NAVY evaluates light weigh steelframe construction

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
qon
udonmap.com

Post by qon » November 14, 2014, 7:57 pm

qon
udonmap.com

Post by qon » November 15, 2014, 11:55 am

SWD
This method of construction has now been available in the region for 3 years

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » November 15, 2014, 1:22 pm

qon wrote:SWD
This method of construction has now been available in the region for 3 years
Metal fab construction,but I think this is new onsite manufacture and fab using 3D printer technology.Looks like it primary use would be for disaster relief.

qon
udonmap.com

Post by qon » November 17, 2014, 5:52 am

No, this technology is 50 years old started from Japan after WII when timber was in short supply. The new 3D printer for houses will incur huge investment just imagine a big 'ink' jet printer squirting out blobs of cement, all the pumps and maintenance associate with it. Yes, it is possible but I doubt 3D a building is a viable solution.
The light weigh steelframe, demonstrates cost cuttings in terms of time, transport, and finishing; as applied in disaster relief, but applicable to normal buildings as well.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 17, 2014, 7:19 am

When Thai Watsadu opened a year or so ago there was a vendor out front that had a model steel frame structure on display. You cover up the outside with some of that cement board, put in some insulation, and add gypsom for the interior walls and you're set.
I don't know if the vendor is still in town, but his display was taken down a few months after the store opened.

qon
udonmap.com

Post by qon » November 17, 2014, 9:43 pm

Countries that had adopted stick house building method such as the US, South Africa, Japan, AUstralia and New Zealand had been quicker to take up this light weigh steelframe technology. As for Asia it does require a shift in mind set from concrete to appreciate the cost benefits and flexibility of the technology.

qon
udonmap.com

Post by qon » November 28, 2014, 8:06 am

It's amazing what the engineers have designed with light weigh steelframe
Attachments
13 storeys.jpg
13 storeys LGSFS in India

qon
udonmap.com

Post by qon » November 28, 2014, 8:22 am

3 storey's-1.jpg
hangovercliff.jpg
3 storey's.jpg
round towers.jpg
Limit by imaginations

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » November 29, 2014, 9:24 am

Years ago when I was still scratching for a living, I looked into the aluminum gutter business. At that time it was a good business with a superior product. The aluminum came on large rolls and the forming machine was actually pretty simple. The main advantage was seamless gutters any length or color you wanted. All the material and the machine for nearly any size job fit on a standard pickup truck. At that time, I didn't have the money to get started so I never found out how profitable it could be.

I think the system shown on the video would not need to be that complicated. Just the roll former with the cutoff would be the main expense and with the new self tapping screws, no holes would need to be punched and no printing needed. This type of construction is the new future. It may never be popular here in Thailand because blocks are cheap and builders are experienced in laying them up. Cement here will continue to be the norm.

qon
udonmap.com

Post by qon » November 30, 2014, 8:41 am

Hi
My research paints a different picture, no doubt the cheap made bricks and blocks and low labor will continue to fill certain gaps. The issue is as people expectations rise in terms of finishes and high standards, people will be looking for a more cost effective solution. We have to remember for some people this is a once in a life time investment. As we have seen Udon area lifting its wind speed requirement to level 2, as it seems high wind had shifted to the area, so roofs and walls will need to be of higher standards; not gone are the welding jobs but backyard welders must update their skill. Insurance, customers and regulations will enforce them to comply.

So here is a product, today, that have all these compliance's that given; comparing apples with apples (of high standards) it will be cheaper than brick and mortar (for certain jobs :) )in terms of time, flexibly, and finishes (++ green and recycle able). What I appreciate most is the possible vast open rooms, with concrete you will need some 600mm+ beams to span 6-8m, no more dogging columns and easier to dress the rooms and optimize layout.

Common issues about the light metal frame building:
1) Hollow sound of walls, being gypsum that is how it is. All over the world people get use to it, same as people now no longer have solid ceilings but use gypsum boards. It can be made more 'solid' by doubling the gypsum boards or lay it on top a timber panel.
2) Easier to break, yes, I prefer a broken wall than a child broken head; it's patchable. Ask people with gypsum walls how many have such a problem?
3) Security, no issue! it is a matter of external cladding with suitable materials such as bricks or thick cement products >6mm etc. Beside house security weak points are: windows, doors and roof.
4) Sound proof, there are more options open to light metal frame than solid walls. Gypsum board absorbs sound better than solid walls, no echoing; use in combination with air cells sisalation and insulation, excellent sound insulation can be achieved with great in wall air ventilation for cooler homes with no more damp rises and smell.
5) Not solid! no columns! loads are transferred to walls not point loaded to columns. Computations to support designs. Concrete finish can be done with external rendering.
6) Electrical safe? more so as the whole house is grounded (but don't use the frame as ground :( ), for electrical storms the whole house is a shield. + Hidden hidden cables and pipes.
7) DIY! definitely, as the structural integrity is built into the design, anyone can assemble it like a mechano set, with the right basic training of load bearing and bracing and site QC.

qon
udonmap.com

Post by qon » November 30, 2014, 10:06 am

Hi
I think there is a market for such gutter system for Udon, even use low Mpa steel (300Mpa is a walk on able in the right roof profile, span 1.5m), let say 100-150Mpa. Nice gutter will dress up a house 10 folds:)
glalt wrote:Years ago when I was still scratching for a living, I looked into the aluminum gutter business. At that time it was a good business with a superior product. The aluminum came on large rolls and the forming machine was actually pretty simple. The main advantage was seamless gutters any length or color you wanted. All the material and the machine for nearly any size job fit on a standard pickup truck. At that time, I didn't have the money to get started so I never found out how profitable it could be.

I think the system shown on the video would not need to be that complicated. Just the roll former with the cutoff would be the main expense and with the new self tapping screws, no holes would need to be punched and no printing needed. This type of construction is the new future. It may never be popular here in Thailand because blocks are cheap and builders are experienced in laying them up. Cement here will continue to be the norm.

qon
udonmap.com

light steel frame building totally survive 6.9 eartquake

Post by qon » December 15, 2014, 8:29 pm

SWD
This was a full scale 2 storey's building of light weight steel conducted by Department of Civil engineering John Hopkins Uni; impressive to see it passed a 6.9 earthquake shake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 2Kh3lXJstM
http://www.livescience.com/39335-shake- ... f-bts.html
Attachments
shake-table.jpg

qon
udonmap.com

light steel frame building totally survive 6.9 eartquake

Post by qon » December 15, 2014, 8:41 pm

".. But in our tests, the building exceeded expectations and sustained only a small amount of damage after the MCE. This is great! Safe structures for everyone!..."
What is the difference between the DBE and MCE? The MCE is significantly stronger than the DBE, and is quite rare. Typically, there is a significant amount of damage after an MCE, though no collapse; the structure remains upright so the occupants can safely evacuate.

qon
udonmap.com

Melbourne University seismic test of light steel frame house

Post by qon » December 28, 2014, 5:42 am

Steel Framing Seismic. Check out how Steel Framing performs in an earthquake. NASH test Melbourne University.
House damaged but structurally safe, tested to magnitude Richter scale 9.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 1mCLTDlHGc

Return to “House & Land”