MY house build to begin.

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
Barney
udonmap.com

Re: MY house build to begin.

Post by Barney » January 4, 2018, 2:50 pm

Flat plywood base or slatted???
I agree with both Kopkei and fatbob, as fatbob suggested it would be a reasonably simple fix to change if we felt the need. Trial and error will tell.
And so that this subject does not turn into the usual UM nonsense fight prevalent on many threads, this is my take on it.
There are definitely pros and cons involved with both types, slatted and plywood bases.
Our main bed is not a built in but a good quality unit and excellent mattress which generally does not allow the movement of one to affect the sleep of the other.
The 2 other beds we have installed have the plywood base as in the photos. The11 yr old daughter who is a light weight will not be affected by the plywood base and she has a good mattress to suit her. 3rd bedroom is currently penciled in as a guest bedroom, so the mattress when chosen will be ok on the flat base.

Info I found below

1.Understand the benefits of a slatted base: Slatted bases offer great support to the back area as they’re able to adapt to various amounts of weight placed upon them. They also offer a good level of ventilation giving even amounts of air circulation to your mattress.
2.Understand the benefits of a plywood base: Plywood bed bases are a solid wooden base like that of a platform top offering even support to all areas of your mattress. They also help to offer a much more firm feel and support to the sleeper aiding in back support.
3.Know the downside to a slatted base: Though slatted bed bases have their benefits they also have their disadvantages as well. For example there are certain mattress types that would be unsuitable for a slatted base, such as solid memory foam mattress. This is due to the fact the slatted structure of this base type is unable to support all areas of a dense mattress such as a memory foam. There is also the possibly of the memory foam pushing between the base slats affecting both its life and quality.
4. Know the downside to a plywood base: A downside to a plywood (platform) bed base is that due to its structure it may make the mattress to firm. In turn this offers less give and comfort to the user’s body as they sleep during the night. Every user’s sleeping preferences are different however this type of base may not be ideal for those who prefer a softer overall feel in general.
5.How do these bed bases affect the life of your mattress: To begin with the type of base you choose will in turn affect the type of mattress you buy. Bed bases with a slatted structure lend well to a spring bases mattress where as a solid structured bed base such as a plywood platform top would compliment a dense foam mattress better. Overall choosing the right base and complimenting mattress will prolong its life expectancy making your investment last longer. Though there are other mattress care steps you can take to enhance its life expectancy.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » January 29, 2018, 4:20 pm

Wifey was pleased and thrilled to have our own personal kitchen design featured in a Thai magazine.
They take better photos than me.
Attachments
IMG_5488.JPG
IMG_5487.JPG
IMG_5486.JPG
IMG_5485.JPG

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » January 29, 2018, 4:24 pm

Did you get a slab of Aracha for the sponsorship ??

mac1966
udonmap.com

Post by mac1966 » January 29, 2018, 5:53 pm

Your gonna need a live in maid to keep that lot clean. But looks fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 1, 2018, 7:58 pm

Have had to complete my fencing for the dogs. The big one, Singto, now just over 2 and about 65kgs along with his sister who is 1 are now living up to their Fila breed and becoming a true guard dog against strangers and must be contained. He got away and scared the bejesus out of 2 next door neighbours on a scooter riding past the front the other night.

Builder is working on the front fence we wanted and the concrete is underway, with gates and SS inserts to come later.
The builder does the digging and concrete work and we buy all the material for him. Hired the concrete shutters locally.
Quote for the stainless steel gates and inserts in place with a local guy near us on the way to our house from Nong Samrong golf course. He was much cheaper than 2 others, one on the ring raod and one inside the ring road.
Hope to have the fence completed in the next few weeks, then let the 2 happy puppies, who are pictured here on their night patrol, can soon roam free.
Attachments
214a142f-f687-48de-85b1-35fbe0fe0f37.jpg
IMG_5695.JPG
2018-03-27-PHOTO-00013963.jpg
2018-03-27-PHOTO-00013960.jpg
IMG_5694.JPG
IMG_5696.JPG
IMG_5698.JPG

peterk
udonmap.com

Post by peterk » April 5, 2018, 7:59 pm

Barney wrote:
January 3, 2018, 2:26 pm
Just an update on the 3rd bedroom's built in furniture, wardrobe, bedside tables, makeup desk, Wall TV and storage unit. Builder is just about finished, with the electrics to be reinstated.
He'll have to finish soon as we have the retainer money sitting waiting till after final inspection. :lol:

Next challenge on the premises for my girl is the front concrete fence. Plus some side fencing. Completing the perimeter fence will allow her to let the big dogs free to roam with out the worry of attack.
She will go for 3 quotes, maybe or maybe not all from the same bloke, Fence, Steel inserts and the auto electric gate.
Hey Barney

Can I ask about your electric gate experience? We recently installed a sliding gate with power ready, and would like to get a motor drive for it. Is that what you've done, and if so, can you vouch for anyone to do that kind of work? (or suggest who to avoid?)

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 6, 2018, 1:28 pm

peterk wrote:
April 5, 2018, 7:59 pm
Barney wrote:
January 3, 2018, 2:26 pm
Just an update on the 3rd bedroom's built in furniture, wardrobe, bedside tables, makeup desk, Wall TV and storage unit. Builder is just about finished, with the electrics to be reinstated.
He'll have to finish soon as we have the retainer money sitting waiting till after final inspection. :lol:

Next challenge on the premises for my girl is the front concrete fence. Plus some side fencing. Completing the perimeter fence will allow her to let the big dogs free to roam with out the worry of attack.
She will go for 3 quotes, maybe or maybe not all from the same bloke, Fence, Steel inserts and the auto electric gate.
Hey Barney

Can I ask about your electric gate experience? We recently installed a sliding gate with power ready, and would like to get a motor drive for it. Is that what you've done, and if so, can you vouch for anyone to do that kind of work? (or suggest who to avoid?)
peterk

I have not done the electric gate as yet. I am waiting on the details of the electric motor and auto open/close sensors to be provided so I can check. He won't install the motor for a little while yet. The gate and fence sections will go in first same as yourself.
It is the guy who will do the S/Steel fence sections, all he has told me it is a good quality and not from china. I think he said Malaysia. But no brand yet.
If you want his contact number to check yourself I can get his number from my GF.

peterk
udonmap.com

Post by peterk » April 6, 2018, 9:10 pm

Thanks so much Barney. His number would be appreciated; as I will be in Udon for a week from next Friday - so might be able to get some idea of the price from him. What's the best protocol for us to share his details?

peterk
udonmap.com

Post by peterk » April 14, 2018, 4:40 pm

Hi Barney
I'm local for 1 week. Any chance to get the contact details of your electric gate supplier?
Many thanks

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 14, 2018, 5:18 pm

My GF sent this card
Hope it helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 14, 2018, 10:03 pm

peterk
udonmap.com

Post by peterk » April 15, 2018, 4:43 pm

Thanks so much Barney. Will let you know how I go.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 15, 2018, 5:11 pm

peterk wrote:
April 15, 2018, 4:43 pm
Thanks so much Barney. Will let you know how I go.

OK Peter,
My GF won't approach him till after songkran. I will have to get the final concrete layer and leveling done first.
Be good to see what he offers you. You can send me a private message.
He seemed knowledgeable with some English and an understanding of the whole gate system plus suggested positions for the mounting of the gate open/close sensors for approaching cars, and the sensor for gate obstructions of cars not moving. I'll see what is offered for the fail safe mode if power fails, assume there's a battery?

peterk
udonmap.com

Post by peterk » April 15, 2018, 7:19 pm

OK.... great. Thanks again. I'm only here until Thursday so probably won't get far, but in-laws can progress in my absence. Back in Aus, we're in a townhouse and the main gate is electric. If power's down, you unlock the box and quickly disconnect it from the motor, whereby it becomes manual. Having a battery backup is a good concept in principle, although there's maintenance involved in keeping the battery in workable shape. Be good to avoid that if we could.

BTW you might be interested to know that when we had the gate installed recently we got a couple of solar / electric lamps for the two main posts. So far they're working really well. Hope they continue in that fashion.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 10, 2018, 4:29 pm

Well into warp drive now and outside landscaping and concrete has started in earnest.
Had the rock table for the garden delivered and put in place, just need to move the couple of shade trees she has elsewhere in the yard and watch them grow to maturity. The finished level soil and grass at the table will with the blocks laid as a foundation.

Builder prepared and poured the main drive concrete in the last 3 days. GF went and bought the steel and so far 22,000 for the concrete. Labour cost will be later when he finishes the carport area. I think she said 1700 a cu mtr.
Probably at least another 10 to 15 cu mtr to go for the carport and entrance ramp.
Attachments
4546aa87-8141-4782-92d7-de98ebb90187.JPG
7c9b40f9-a15a-4d4a-a747-7d264384b078.JPG
93e8bc77-15c3-448c-904e-dc2f628cd1fa.JPG
08df801e-1c72-42c4-be0b-4a3de59f976e.JPG
6b00c28e-963a-4486-941b-8db3c77c874b.JPG
IMG_5676.jpg
IMG_5678.jpg

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » May 14, 2018, 9:44 am

'Wifey was pleased and thrilled to have our own personal kitchen design featured in a Thai magazine.'

Wow - congratulations!

peterk
udonmap.com

Post by peterk » May 19, 2018, 5:47 pm

Hey Barney
That looks great! Must be a very exciting stage for you both. We are back in Oz for some time now. But next trip latest this year, we will try to hook up with your builder, Mr Mu.

We look forward to more updates!

PS: we are about 30kms from the north east of the ring road ... Ban Daeng, Phibun Rak.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 8, 2018, 9:38 am

Still moving along, the GF has been busy with contractors, drive way concreting, carport erection, bluescope steel roof, she has decided on the additional layer and cost of a featured concrete paving, with my blessing, as its my wallet the moths and satang are released from each month on salary day, in my cash economy world.
She put the featured concrete paving in the carport as a sample to see what it looks like. I'll have a look at the standard and strength when I next return in a few weeks to give the go ahead for the entire drive.
SS frame and aluminium fence inserts are under fabrication along with the small entrance gate and main vehicle gate. Hope to have the fence by month end.
Attachments
5363f14a-5fc6-4c23-b8bc-8d1004608657.JPG
1f2e8c52-d81a-40e5-9c5a-cb6bf8a6f7ed.JPG
4b58c4be-f7e6-482a-a260-9c7020884239.JPG
9e8950db-55f1-467a-9e80-7bd03a216173.JPG
81697e9e-3d19-4e07-a4c6-6beb46f2a368.JPG
233aa282-ab91-49cc-a251-95f0c2d0b23d.JPG

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » June 10, 2018, 12:29 pm

Looks akin to the stamped concrete driveway I had at my house on the Gold Coast. I wasn't there when it was done (I was driving across the Nullabor at the time), but I think they add a pigment powder to the top and then seal it.
69 Angelica St Elanora 018.jpg
Sounds like you will have some happy puppies soon.
Regards, John
Last edited by ajarnudon on June 10, 2018, 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 10, 2018, 1:59 pm

Yes John,
Funny enough I had a similar drive pattern to yours in Australia years ago.

It was not my idea to have this concrete design here in Thailand but the GF was searching around for something different for a paving feature. I think I have given her to much freedom. :lol:
She found this concrete guy through our builder who does this stencil type paving. She went out and got a few different prices from others and settled on this bloke. He tops the first layer of concrete with his concrtet style, and, like you said he then seals it. I think it is 400bht a talang wha, about 4 sq mtrs? Dearest bloke was double that.
She has also decided on the compass feature in the drive similar to the photo.
It will help the group of guys who fly across my place with the parachutes and a propeller strapped to their back to get home.
Yes dogs will be happy, got 4 muts now as we just got another 4 month old, not wanted orphan.
As normal we are not doing things with the house as per normal Thailand design and thinking. Just come up with ideas and go for it. \:D/
Attachments
bc885411-bd48-41a0-95ab-13aa978e8026.JPG

Return to “House & Land”