Local house builders

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
ianrodders
udonmap.com

Local house builders

Post by ianrodders » September 27, 2015, 10:20 am

Hi gents and ladys im after some of you invaluable knowledge can anybody recommend any reliable house and pool builders im looking to build end of next month thanks in advance guys

mickojak
udonmap.com

Local house builders

Post by mickojak » September 27, 2015, 11:05 am

Hi Ian,
It is a big ask to source a builder and pool builder at such short notice.
I have just posted the start of my house build.
I have been working on this for nearly a year, mainly because I am not here all the time.
I am probably going to use JD Pools for mine. I also got a price from poolcompany Pools. They both look good and professional and their end product looks good. Mind you they are all very expensive here, but there is not much choice. Small market.
I got quotes from most of the Udon builders that are on this website.
They were about 1million baht dearer than the local guy that I am using. I have seen some of his houses and are top notch.
Mind you, those Udon builders are probably best placed to start at short notice.
Best to shop around and meet them all and get a gut feel, that's how I did it.
I am very comfortable with the way I am going, but only time will tell.
It's all a gamble to build in a strange country when you don't know the language or customs.
You should get lots of advice on this forum.
I have found everyone most helpful.
mick

Dingo
udonmap.com

Local house builders

Post by Dingo » September 27, 2015, 11:35 am

I can't really recommend a good company, sorry.
However. I can strongly recommend you do not use Dream Up House builders or AKA Udonhouse.com.
I am still having problems with the construction after using them in 2010 / 2011. Court cases and outside help have helped reduce some of the pain.
I hope you can find a reliable builder?? Another suggestion would be: Be there to supervise as much as possible!! Shortcuts happen regularly and end up costing in the long run.
Best of luck.
Dingo

MrFixer
udonmap.com

Local house builders

Post by MrFixer » September 27, 2015, 12:35 pm

My suggestion... avoid NYJ Houses and their sister company (IIRC Perfect House).

ianrodders
udonmap.com

Local house builders

Post by ianrodders » September 27, 2015, 12:38 pm

Are they just too expensive or unreliable mr fixer ?

ianrodders
udonmap.com

Local house builders

Post by ianrodders » September 27, 2015, 12:41 pm

Thanks dingo am gonna be there to supervise its not a quick decision ben planning this for 5 years so gotta make it right appreciate the heads up

MrFixer
udonmap.com

Local house builders

Post by MrFixer » September 27, 2015, 12:42 pm

Its a long story. Friend of mine lost a lot of money with them... unreliable is being charitable, 'dishonest' would be a better word.

ianrodders
udonmap.com

Local house builders

Post by ianrodders » September 27, 2015, 12:48 pm

Mr fixer thanks for the heads up

akwoodworker
udonmap.com

Local house builders

Post by akwoodworker » September 27, 2015, 1:00 pm

My brother in law and family built our house, turned out pretty good.

ianrodders
udonmap.com

Local house builders

Post by ianrodders » September 27, 2015, 1:36 pm

Cheers akwoodworker have pmd you

Miruku
udonmap.com

Local house builders

Post by Miruku » September 28, 2015, 9:10 am

We are about one third through construction of a small house being built by Dream up to be completed by February. We are receiving daily progress photos and "Line" phone calls from Dream up on the progress and we have relatives (and a next door neighbour) keeping an eye on things while we are away in OZ. So far all seems OK but in view of your warning we will try to increase the level of monitoring with fingers crossed. Meantime can you please roughly advise the main problems you had with Dream Up? We will appreciate any information.
Trevor McConchie

kopkei
udonmap.com

Local house builders

Post by kopkei » September 28, 2015, 9:46 am

1 word of advise , if you use jd pool , buy a real filter , not the standard coffee bag system they are using ...
and about home builders, all these big company's aren't really better than the local thai home builder , only 2 times more expensive , this also go's for the falang bossed company's ...my advise , drive around in your area (udon?)and look who is building and what prices they have and quality they deliver ....if you have some knowledge how to build a home and can supervise the complete build yourself you can save yourself a lot of money , and never ,ever compare prices with your home country , you always end up paying way to much ...as info ...good luck ... ;)

mickojak
udonmap.com

Local house builders

Post by mickojak » September 28, 2015, 10:34 am

Kopkei,
Thanks for advice on JD.
Do they sell this"real filter" and does it just replace bags easy, or is it more complicated?
Mick

kopkei
udonmap.com

Local house builders

Post by kopkei » September 28, 2015, 11:33 am

well mickojak, i am not a fan at all of the jd pool system , they are mostly also using a liner instead of tiling in their pools , this liner has a life expectancy of not more than 10 years , surely not in the thai climate ...
about filters , this coffeebag filter will only ensure of clear water but not clean ...and they are expensive ...
best filter to buy now is a filter with zeolite/zelbrite media in it , easy to maintain and good filtering , i am using a DE filter also very succesfully( 10years first pool , and now 2 years new pool , new house ) , with a minimum of maintenance and use of chemicals ...forget about a sand filter , (ok with the zeolite in it)...
you can check out some prices at this website http://swimmingpoolsthailand.com/en/
even ask info there , the will answer all your questions by e-mail or even by phone
they also build pools ..http://swimmingpoolsthailand.com/en/154 ... ound-pools
i do not have any experience with this company as we did build the pool our self...
try to check the internet about pools and building them ...fe http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/
as info ... ;)

harry68
udonmap.com

Local house builders

Post by harry68 » September 28, 2015, 11:47 am

Check with Rob

this is my quote and I'm going with it i will start building when the rain stops
cheers harry
Screen Shot 2015-09-28 at 11.46.00 am.png

kopkei
udonmap.com

Local house builders

Post by kopkei » September 28, 2015, 11:58 am

forgot to mention , you can also read some info here ...
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/p ... ol#p343224
and harry 220.000 baht for a( plastic :lol:) , fiber glass tub ? ...
if you do buy this make sure they use the zeolite in the filter and not sand ....as info ;)

harry68
udonmap.com

Local house builders

Post by harry68 » September 28, 2015, 12:18 pm

thanks for the advise
what is the problem with sand?

kopkei
udonmap.com

Local house builders

Post by kopkei » September 28, 2015, 12:38 pm

sand is the most bad filtration system compared to DE and zeolite/zelbrite ..
you can easy find the info on the net , fe http://www.poolcenter.com/filter
i am ok with my DE filter which gives me almost no maintenance and always clean water , but maybe i will switch to a sandfilter ( housing) filled with zeolite , as these filters are way cheaper than the DE and apparently the filtering is even better ..., i have a friend using a sand filter for his 10x5 m pool and he has continuously many problems with the waterquality... ;)

JohnG
udonmap.com

Local house builders

Post by JohnG » September 28, 2015, 2:42 pm

My house build starts mid-November, after months of looking round and rejecting a lot of builders - fortunately including those named here, as well as all those based in Loei.

Obviously I can't recommend a builder based on how I'm hoping they'll do so all I'll say before then is do all the research you can, particularly if you're not going to be able to supervise and check yourself. Photos and progress reports from the builders are simply a waste of time as they will obviously not show the real story of bad workmanship and shortcuts. and once a step is complete you have no idea if your foundations are at the correct depth (or even exist, literally!), if concrete has been compacted and allowed to cure properly. etc,

After an appaling experience with one construction company from Loei, who initially seemed capable and competent but turmed out to be neither, all I can say is look and ask around and make sure that you check your contract carefully and never pay mpre tham 10% per step - if that's not acceptable, just go elsewhere.

maaka
udonmap.com

Local house builders

Post by maaka » September 29, 2015, 7:24 am

near the end of our build..using old village builders, ex BKK builder..would not recommend them unless you want cheap and middle of the road concrete house..good with concrete but cant hang a door, ( until I pulled them up) and they never think of the little things..keeping pipes straight, downpipes neat and tidy, wall plugs and electrics tidy, ..there are that many lights in our lounge we could hold a Kiss concert..this is what I have had to continually drill into the missus..neat lines and tidy finish, and at the end it still will have its downfalls, but one comes to terms with it.....the sub contractors can be hopeless...some are not trained, just pick up the trade to make money..my aluminium window dude is one of these..he put the sliders on the outside so any Joe Blogg could simply lift them out and climb inside..had to get him to completely re do them, at his expense...

yes for those thinkiing of building..you must do your homework, not just go on couple of threads like mind, but search Coolthaihouse, and other sites and seek advice and comments on ever factor of the build..but then also be on site..watch them everyday...

Return to “House & Land”