How to Measure Usable Space in New Home

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 21, 2016, 7:19 pm

My wife and I detoured on our way into town a few days ago to visit one of Udon's newest developments. We weren't shopping....merely wanted to see what new homes have to offer these days. We were quite surprised....but first my question:
When a home in Thailand advertises as usable space....does that only include interior areas or does it include porches, balconies, carports, etc? I suspect the later.

We looked at the top model on sale.....going for 5.99 million. The 2 story home on 65 talang wah advertises as having 255 sq meters of usable space. No bathtubs, hollow doors, only 2 air cons in a 4 bedroom home, no granite (imitation plastic-like material in kitchen and bathrooms), and extremely cheap looking laminate wood flooring throughout. Of course the home was decorated to the 9's with built in furniture (not included) and other cabinets/kitchen accessories that weren't on the included list. The windows were standard brown aluminum......so definitely not very pricey stuff. The development supposedly will include a small playground, a pool, and a gym, along with 24 hour security. You pay a monthly fee determined by the size of your postage size land.

65 talang wah! That's not much of a piece of land......but then may be right for those who don't want to do any yard work.

So, back to my original question: usable space.....what does it include/not include?

rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » March 21, 2016, 8:09 pm

"include porches, balconies, carports, etc" This is correct.

I had a house in Phuket with 454 m2 usable area as promoted by the developer, of which about 212 m2 was actually interior with AC. It was the epitome of indoor / outdoor living! Cover it with concrete, and it becomes usable area!

Tom

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 21, 2016, 8:44 pm

Thanks, rct.....I suspected that was the case.

grievous
udonmap.com

Post by grievous » March 21, 2016, 10:07 pm

Which development did you have a look at Parrot? Was it Siri or Sirin Nara? I had a look at both those places myself and found the land size to be a little on the small size. Houses in Aus included any area under the roof line as useable space which my case included a double car garage and an elfresco area. I'd assume the same here but who knows with Thsiland

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » March 22, 2016, 6:47 pm

usable space to me meaning sitting outside next to the pool , the home is only make some food in a good kitchen (as we cook a lot), and use of bed and bathroom , so to us the most usable space is outside .... ;)

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 22, 2016, 7:16 pm

"Which development did you have a look at?"

Siri Village on the Udon-Nongbualamphu Hwy

grievous
udonmap.com

Post by grievous » March 22, 2016, 11:24 pm

Yeah I looked at Siri village on the Nongbua hwy and also Sirin Nara on the Nongkhai hwy. I thought the display at Siri was a ripper however no back yard and barely a front yard. Siri is a little way out if town also.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » March 23, 2016, 6:52 pm

for those whom not yet know this...
every moobaan (village ) are rippers you will only only realize this when you try to resell...
better build your home on your own land with local builders... ;)

grievous
udonmap.com

Post by grievous » March 23, 2016, 9:38 pm

I'm not disagreeing but I don't know if that is still the case. I have only owned, or my wife owned, two properties in Thailand. The first I built on our own land which we sold for a small loss and the other, which is in a house estate, that we have been offered a price that is a decent profit after four years of ownership.

Return to “House & Land”