Ok, all you building experts, where can I find a

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
Dakoda
udonmap.com

Ok, all you building experts, where can I find a

Post by Dakoda » April 4, 2007, 7:35 am

"finish carpenter" One with a table saw, router, and all the other implements needed. Name & phone # please. Already
have a cabinetmaker. He has a neat little setup, makes a table saw out of a skill saw, but not really a "finish carpenter"

Better yet, where can I buy a radial arm saw, or a good table saw :?: Might save a couple of baht by buying my own.

Thanks.

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » April 4, 2007, 10:37 am

"Better yet, where can I buy a radial arm saw, or a good table saw Might save a couple of baht by buying my own."

Tool Pro, Home pro

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » April 4, 2007, 8:39 pm

jetdoc wrote:"Better yet, where can I buy a radial arm saw, or a good table saw Might save a couple of baht by buying my own."

Tool Pro, Home pro
Looked in Tool Pro - saw nothing. Next time in, will ask; you could be right, they might be able to order, just hope they have a catalog to order from :!:

Very much do not think Home Pro will be worth the effort :!: Did you see either on site at either place :?:

Thanks for the reply either way.

Still looking for that carpenter.

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » April 9, 2007, 6:07 pm

I have not used this man, however I have seen a sample of his work. Good quality work, ie: built in cabinets & wardrobes, bed, etc. Prices seemed very reasonable. His telephone # is: 087-855-4265. My friend who used him said he spoke ok English, but have your wife close the phone.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » April 20, 2007, 10:25 pm

Well I must thank you again. Called Wong, speaks ok english, and today started on my room doors, and because of the poor rendering, not an easy job.

Cutting the concrete was out of the question, so today between us, we came up with a sloution. He works along with his workers. So after day one, have frames :!: They look great. Tomorrow, will see what he can do with my cheap doors. Need cutting. Fingers crossed. :D

8)

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » April 22, 2007, 6:03 pm

in case anyone is interested. Table saw @ Tool Pro (sorry no table) 77,000 baht. Now I know there has been inflation the last ten years, but $2380.00 for a table saw :?: I now see why no one has one.

Will update my door project with pictures, later. No pictures yet, on charger. He finished today. Did five inside room doors, some good, some you be the judge.

Remember, it cleared up a problem without cutting the concrete, with the result of around 79 cm doorways.

Well at least I can get some room AC. :D

ntvillas2
udonmap.com

Post by ntvillas2 » April 23, 2007, 6:09 pm

Buy one from China $190 ish on Ebay.
ntvillas-com

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » April 23, 2007, 11:53 pm

ok, here are some pictures.

Before

after (other side)

another

look good

this is what I was doing, had told wife her job was to make sure everything was ok and looked good :evil:

Outside Kitchen - Everyone asks why I don't use brick, I just smile.

Reflections look interesting

So everything was going fine, when I look in on the work it looked good. But then when they started to hang the doors, saw the first one, busted concrete, told them they couldn't put wood screws into concrete, won't hold. They said that they couldn't use plugs, well til I showed them how.

That night ask wife if she thought one door was ok, to close had to be forced. She said it seemed ok to her. Told her if this project comes out bad, it will be the last one. She needed to be responsible. By morning the door could not be closed. I just went back to my work.

So, here are the finished pictures (and yes one door does not close very easily)

Yes that door. We had talked about the trim, said he couldn't do it on that side. I suggested some molding, he bought some, but never put it up. Guess he thought good fill time for me. :lol:

This is the last door he did on Sunday to finish, didn't bother to tell me about the missing trim.

So thats my wife's door project.

So would I hire him again ? Thats a moot question, because Sunday afternoon the house was declared finished :!: Wife :shock:

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » April 24, 2007, 12:21 am

Oh, if there is any interest here is a ruff cost list for door project.

5 doors 3,000 (don't laugh, said they were cheap)
4 frames 2,000 (used one)
Trim boards 2,250
labor 7,500
plus what he bought 3,900

total 18,650 ($579.38 usd)

add into this, cost of stain, paint, wood putty, hours of labor.

:oops:

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » April 24, 2007, 1:47 am

Actually ebay is an excellent source to research costs and specifications of power tools. I just looked at the power saws available on ebay. There were 505 listed for sale. The top price was $3500, half of the original $7000 cost new, for a 18" Delta 7.5 HP Radial Arm Saw. It's a beauty.

See it at Link

If you search the internet using the power tool model number, you will likely find some user reviews regarding its performance and comparing it with competitors' tools.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » April 24, 2007, 7:55 am

TJ wrote:Actually ebay is an excellent source to research costs and specifications of power tools. I just looked at the power saws available on ebay. There were 505 listed for sale. The top price was $3500, half of the original $7000 cost new, for a 18" Delta 7.5 HP Radial Arm Saw. It's a beauty.

See it at Link
If you search the internet using the power tool model number, you will likely find some user reviews regarding its performance and comparing it with competitors' tools.
or you could go to Sear's and get this for $799

or this for $99 (close to one at Tool minus stand, but maybe better quality, well I hope)

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » April 24, 2007, 9:33 am

That mitered trim looks a bit rough.

There are nails near the outer edge. They must have gone into concrete. I'd have only nailed the trim to your wood frame. Plus a small finishing nail down through the top horizontal trim into the vetical trim to keep the joint in alignment.

I've never been paid as a trim carpenter. But I have done trim work, doors, baseboards, and windows.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » April 24, 2007, 3:48 pm

you are correct TJ, used small black concrete nails. But only the last door done on Sunday morn, came out bad, also their fix off door not closing, just rushed. If they wanted to do a good job, they could have, talented, but short on time, my guess. Think just wanted it done, and off to Loei, guess Monday. 8)

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » May 15, 2007, 12:20 am

Well if anyone is wondering how my outside kitchen is coming along here is an update.

In the states this whole thing could be done in two or three days, but here its now May 14 and still no sink :!: Well the superblock (Q-Con) walls are done, waited 3 days, then the rendering was done, waited 3 or 4 days and rendering got sealed & primed. (Note: was a little slow on the other part of the blocks, so will not be fully primed til this thursday). Well the cabinet has long been done, so I must have the sink installed, right :?: Wrong :!: Wanted it tiled under the cabinet, then later the remainder. So I explained this to my tile man. Told him to do it like he was going to do the whole area. Show him how they had sloped the pour away from the house, and told him that I want it to be level. He said he understood. Well he has done my whole house, so I expected the same results.

Well it did (the tile job) looked funny, but I assumed it just corrected the un-level concrete pour. It starts on one end about 3 cm high, (which seems right) then it goes for about 8 feet (big cabinet) down to 1/2cm.

So, yesterday I put the cabinet in place, and if I would have put a sink in, it would never completely drain. After checking the concrete there, its level, so the tile should have stayed 3 cm high for the full 8 feet.

What he understood is beyond me. So tomorrow, will get him to rip it all out. Then I will just pour a slab, myself. So if lucky maybe we (wife) will have a sink to wash dishes in by next Monday. Lets see, thats the 21st, so here a 3 day job takes one month. :lol:

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » May 15, 2007, 9:11 am

Talk about customer service in Thailand. :lol: Was informed by wife, while I was having my first cup of joe, man can't take out til Sunday, today is Tuesday. So finished my coffee, went out in my towel, and removed the tiles, broke two. Then removed the concrete. Guess it took one hour. Hopefully the wife will remove the pile of broken concrete to our across the soi dump. From there it will disappear in a day or two.

As I was finishing, guess he could hear the hammering, so he pop thru the gate with power tool in hand. "No need all done :!:

:( :roll:

edit: and No its not 10:11 am, its 8:13 am now

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » May 15, 2007, 4:18 pm

Oh, does anyone remember the post on "How do I Mix Concrete". Seems like someone wanted to pour his own patio. Well I just got done pouring a 30" x 8' (56 cm x 255 cm) slab, dam forgot what a bear it is :!:

Its a 3 pint job, and if you are lucky, you might be able to drink 1/2 pint while doing it. :lol:

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » May 27, 2007, 1:14 pm

Dakoda wrote:Well if anyone is wondering how my outside kitchen is coming along here is an update.
I'm on the edge of my seat, the suspense was killing me. LOL!

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » May 27, 2007, 3:53 pm

I understood Dakoda's kitchen "is really cooking"! ;) :lol:

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » May 27, 2007, 8:05 pm

arjay wrote:I understood Dakoda's kitchen "is really cooking"!
well it would be if only he had those kitchen cabinets...from Decor Choice !! :lol:
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Return to “House & Land”