gurgling toilet

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
buddy2812
udonmap.com

gurgling toilet

Post by buddy2812 » August 15, 2016, 7:57 pm

Hi guys is there anyone out there that understands the workings of a flush toilet. the water level in my toilet bowl is about 4 inches higher than normal and when flushed as the bowl refills there is a gurgling noise and air comes back with the water. the septic tank has been emptied. I'm concerned that there may be a blockage and want to get it sorted asap but have no clue where to start. has anyone any suggestions as to what the problem could be. thanks in advance

FLICKFLACKER404
udonmap.com

Re: gurgling toilet

Post by FLICKFLACKER404 » August 15, 2016, 8:41 pm

A good way to check for a blockage is to pour a full bucket of water down the bowl from say, chest height,it should empty pretty quick if it backs up maybe a blockage,with you just having the tank emptied pretty unlikely,the gurgling noise could be trapped air in the system,i know when we had ours emptied it made a gurgling sound but took everything away in one go, bit of a suction/vacum thing going on if it doesn,t back up i wouldn,t worry,could clear itself

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 15, 2016, 9:11 pm

You could also try firing the "arse blaster" down the pan for about 20 - 30 secs, that usually clears anything in it's way.
I got an old fashioned rubber plunger about 10 years ago for about B100 and every time one of the toilets or sinks block that usually takes care of the problem. The master bedroom sink seems to block quite frequently (about once a year) as the pipes are quite small and have a right angle escape for the long thai hair and falang whiskers :lol:

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » August 15, 2016, 9:14 pm

We have a similar situation. We have 2 toilets connected to the tank. Every time one flushes one toilet there is a very loud gurgling sound and water rushing in the other toilet.
Asked a local plumber he could not explain. I could not locate a qualified plumber.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » August 15, 2016, 9:45 pm

If your home is sitting on a high water table and an area with poor drainage, that could be the issue.

It was happening with our home, and then we improved the drainage ourselves about two years ago. We would hear it every time it rained, from moderate to heavy rainfall. Today, it's gone.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » August 16, 2016, 12:15 am

Our toilets started exhibiting the same issues that you described. I discovered after the first rainy season started that our tanks were flooded because the rain water running off of our house was percolating into the tanks and that caused the tanks to flood out because the extra water from the rain could not percolate into the ground away from the tanks fast enough. I solved the problem by making sure that the rain water runoff from the surrounding area and from the house runs away from the house and away from where our septic tanks are located. That fixed the problem.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » August 16, 2016, 9:23 am

Sounds to me like part of your toilet outlet pipe is higher than your, built in "S" bend, in the toilet.
I would be checking that line if you can.
Make sure none of it is running uphill.
Your septic inlet should be lower than the base of the toilet as well.
mick

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » August 16, 2016, 10:49 am

Probably time to pu7mp that porker

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » August 17, 2016, 8:08 am

buddy2812 wrote:Hi guys is there anyone out there that understands the workings of a flush toilet. the water level in my toilet bowl is about 4 inches higher than normal and when flushed as the bowl refills there is a gurgling noise and air comes back with the water. The s e p t i c tank has been emptied. I'm concerned that there may be a blockage and want to get it sorted asap but have no clue where to start. has anyone any suggestions as to what the problem could be. thanks in advance
It sounds as if the system is missing a vent.
The standard for western plumbing is to vent the down pipe with the vent pipe going to roof level. Virtual no Thai plumber understands this system. The big black ball plastic s e p t i c tanks have a vent built into the tank and this may be good enough. If your s e p t i c tank is vented (and its working) then you will need a proper vent added.
image.png
This is an example of a correctly vented system
image.png (18.05 KiB) Viewed 1970 times
Note you can have two separate systems but then both need venting.

Note to admin s e p t i c should not be on the banned word list as it is a valid word and it makes an answer talking about a ##### tank very strange
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

buddy2812
udonmap.com

Post by buddy2812 » August 27, 2016, 6:31 pm

thanks guys for all your suggestions.I have lived in the house for 12 years and the problem has only just started.I have pushed the hosepipe round the bend as far as it willl go ( about 18 inches) and gave it full throttle but still no joy. thinking of using caustic soda with a bucket or 2 of hot water.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » August 28, 2016, 6:55 am

I have the same problem which only started 2 years ago.
It only happens in the rainy season after a good downpour.
If you check the level in your tank after heavy rain you will find it is full & the overflow water can not drain away due to the ground water level & the gurgling is the air being forced up the toilet.
I bought a small pump & use it to pump the water out & away from the tank area.
I sometimes have to do this every 3 weeks in the rainy season.
You can get a truck to come & pump it out but you will find the tank is full again after another heavy downpour.
Be careful if you use to much Caustic Soda as it kills the bacteria which cleans the sh"t up.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » August 28, 2016, 5:36 pm

Well with the minor flood in first Homes last night we had it well, for a bit. To much rain water getting in the tank somehow.

Return to “House & Land”