Building a New House in Udon Thani

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Housebuilding contractors in Udorn

Post by FrazeeDK » February 14, 2006, 5:36 am

I also plan to build a retirement home in Udorn outside the ringroad. If you could give me specifics on your contractor I'd appreciate it..

I agree with the group opinion that having "family" build the house is a no-win situation.. I had relatives build a small studio-bungalow on our land which turned out OK but it was a real headache getting them to build it to my specs.. I always bot the "bo ngarm" when I tried to get them to do it my way.. A solid contract with a builder would be more to my liking..

Dave [email protected]

Dave

Coot
udonmap.com

Post by Coot » February 14, 2006, 11:59 am

but it was a real headache getting them to build it to my specs..
Frazee,my mate popped home for a couple of weeks and came back to find the toilet located in the very centre of the bathroom.The funniest thing was that the toilet roll holder was on the wall a good few steps away :)
Bald is beautiful.

yorkman
udonmap.com

Re: Housebuilding contractors in Udorn

Post by yorkman » February 14, 2006, 12:53 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:I also plan to build a retirement home in Udorn outside the ringroad. If you could give me specifics on your contractor I'd appreciate it..

I agree with the group opinion that having "family" build the house is a no-win situation.. I had relatives build a small studio-bungalow on our land which turned out OK but it was a real headache getting them to build it to my specs.. I always bot the "bo ngarm" when I tried to get them to do it my way.. A solid contract with a builder would be more to my liking..

Dave [email protected]
No problem Dave, I'll PM you the details later when I have found the address of their office in Udon.

With one caveat, the builder he is using on mine has made a few mistakes from the plans (one to my advantage :lol:) , and has tried to cut a few corners. The Contracter has inevitably fixed them when it has been pointed out, but it does need the other oft given advice.. check it all the time

John

yorkman
udonmap.com

Post by yorkman » February 16, 2006, 3:39 am

FrazeeDK wrote:I also plan to build a retirement home in Udorn outside the ringroad. If you could give me specifics on your contractor I'd appreciate it
Just as a sort of amusing aside...I did'nt find it amusing at the time! Very narky Farang...LOL

At first we went to a guy with a big new office up near Home Mart

5000B (Bargain I thought!!!), plans from scratch, he even did a beautifull model, his office is full of them. Showed us a few properties under construction, including a very nice house outside Udon. So I coughed up.

After the plans were complete, I just questioned the pillar in the middle of the lounge area, it held the apex of the roof up if you followed the plans. I am no structural/civil engineer but I could see that. So I asked, could he redesign it, strengthen the beams across so it was not needed. A big smile, no problem

The next day, new plans, he had Tippexed (typists corrrection fluid) it out! I walked away at that point :roll:

TIT, a lesson learned.... but the same as everywhere, you pay peanuts and you get monkeys

John

p.s. We kept the model, its excellent!!!! :lol:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 16, 2006, 3:48 am

John....has the model got a tippexed support beam as well?? :D

yorkman
udonmap.com

Post by yorkman » February 16, 2006, 4:01 am

BobHelm wrote:John....has the model got a tippexed support beam as well?? :D
I tried to peer inside; unfortunately opaque windows, although he did paint the model patiently and beautifully.

I was very impressed.....errrrrrrrr

John

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » February 16, 2006, 9:47 am

Its your one and only time I suspect that you can brag that you have taken a very expensive model back to your house :)

yorkman
udonmap.com

Post by yorkman » February 16, 2006, 12:10 pm

It is...more than my life is worth 8-[ :fryingpan:

John

Garnet
udonmap.com

LifeStraw

Post by Garnet » April 21, 2006, 9:53 am

I came across this method of having relatively safe water to drink, though it has its limitations. It is literally a staw, so only one person can use it; and supposedly the life of the product would be for about a year for that one person. It's initial cost was about $2 U.S.

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4418/1/

This article also gave a link to the product's own website:

http://www.lifestraw.com/

Obviously, it would be a nuisance for most of us to have to drink every sip of water that we took with this straw; but I suppose in areas of the world where water-borne diseases are the penalty for consuming the water directly, survival would bear out making do with the imposition.
Garnet & Jack

Garnet
udonmap.com

More On Water Purification

Post by Garnet » March 2, 2008, 2:35 am

6 Ideas That Will Change the World

One of them concerns water purification:

The Pollution Magnet

Eighty-two thousand people die from cancer in Bangladesh every year, many due to arsenic poisoning. But building upon her discovery of a way to get rust nanoparticles to bind to arsenic, Vicki Colvin has invented a new, astonishingly easy way to clean the water supply: Sauté a teaspoon of rust in a mixture of oil and lye, which breaks down the rust into nano-sized pieces. Retrieve the rust particles with a household magnet. Then immerse the rust-covered magnet into a pot of contaminated water. Pull out the arsenic. The system is up to a hundred times more efficient than existing methods, and requires no electricity or manufacturing infrastructure, so even the poorest of villagers can use it.

Depending upon government regulations, Colvin's extraction system should go global in as few as five years. Yet ultimately, Colvin, a professor of chemistry and chemical and biomolecular engineering at Rice University, has bigger plans. She sees her method as just the first step toward developing an easy point-of-use water-purification system that would cover virtually every pollutant. The filter would have a dipstick to tell you what's in the water and a reader to tell you what you need to add to pull it out
Garnet & Jack

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » March 2, 2008, 5:42 pm

yorkman wrote:
FrazeeDK wrote:I also plan to build a retirement home in Udorn outside the ringroad. If you could give me specifics on your contractor I'd appreciate it
Just as a sort of amusing aside...I did'nt find it amusing at the time! Very narky Farang...LOL

At first we went to a guy with a big new office up near Home Mart

5000B (Bargain I thought!!!), plans from scratch, he even did a beautifull model, his office is full of them. Showed us a few properties under construction, including a very nice house outside Udon. So I coughed up.

After the plans were complete, I just questioned the pillar in the middle of the lounge area, it held the apex of the roof up if you followed the plans. I am no structural/civil engineer but I could see that. So I asked, could he redesign it, strengthen the beams across so it was not needed. A big smile, no problem

The next day, new plans, he had Tippexed (typists corrrection fluid) it out! I walked away at that point :roll:

TIT, a lesson learned.... but the same as everywhere, you pay peanuts and you get monkeys

John

p.s. We kept the model, its excellent!!!! :lol:
How about roof? Did he make calculations included to that price?

We have drawings and paid 6000 thb, not including final calculations, stamps etc. Those will be done after we accept drawings.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » March 2, 2008, 6:03 pm

You are picking up on a thread that is some 2 years old here, so I doubt you will get an answer!

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » March 2, 2008, 8:15 pm

Thread probably ought to be moved to "House & Land"? :D

Mod Note:

Done, and a new thread started, and this one locked.

Return to “House & Land”