Building a New House in Udon Thani

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
yorkman
udonmap.com

Post by yorkman » November 16, 2005, 2:47 am

banpaeng wrote:John, as a suggestion only. I have seen folks make a flower garden over their field lines. Just make sure not a deep rooted plant and use annuals as they will have to be planted every year so no long standing roots.

Remember this is a suggestion only.
Hehe Thank you!! I know it was a serious suggestion, and I thank you for that, but I laughed because of myself. I am definately not a gardener. I'll tell the wife about the flower garden idea, it actually might just work for us perfectly!

I've actually got two of the black tank systems planned in (for redundancy from 3 bathrooms) so at least if one goes wrong we have somewhere to...errrrr....go; while the pump truck is called etc etc.

My ignorance stemmed from what happens after it goes through the black tanks, and thanks to here I understand better.

Valentine (long after your dinner hopefully :lol: )What are these chemicals/tablets you can add to break down the sludge, and where do you get them?

John

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » November 16, 2005, 8:23 am

Anyone have pros and cons on the "Dream Up House Builder Co., LTD". They are located down the road from Rajabhat University. I also would be interested in the contruction of an in ground swimming pool.

Pop's :pirate:

valentine

Post by valentine » November 16, 2005, 11:05 am

John, those chemical additions to the tank. I am sorry the writing is in Thai and I can't make heads or tails of my wifes translation, but they are in a big bag and look like granules., dirty white in colour. We get them at Homebase but I understand most places that stock the tank will also carry them. In fact you get a bag when you purchase the tank, packed with it.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Building a new house in Udon Thani

Post by fdimike » November 16, 2005, 11:13 am

Ron et all. Re: the additive for the septic tank. Home Mart and I believe Global carry a liquid additive for the tank. It is in a Green bottle with instructions in english and thai. This can be used straight or mixed with mollasses to increase the size of the bacterial colony before adding it to the tank via the toilet. Mollasses is available in a shop just in front of the main entrance to Paolo Hospital.

Mike
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Garnet
udonmap.com

Drinking Water

Post by Garnet » November 27, 2005, 12:05 am

I very recently came upon this website that discussed a water filtration process:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.08/urine.html

To quote from it: "Water Security has already begun putting the technology to work in areas where freshwater is in short supply. This summer, global relief agency Concern for Kids deployed a foot-powered purification unit in northern Iraq. Robert and Roni Anderson, Concern's founders, loaded it onto the back of a Toyota pickup and drove to dozens of villages to purify their groundwater. The unit pumps out 5 gallons per minute, and a single day of purification can sustain a village of 5,000 people for a month. The cost is about 3 cents a gallon. Iraqi water companies, by comparison, charge $4 a gallon.

"It's not just war-torn regions that are short on potable water. After the tsunami hit Indonesia last December, much of the freshwater supply became contaminated with salt water and toxic street runoff. Kearney says the Water Security system is perfectly capable of working in such natural-disaster scenarios. After all, the technology was originally tested on an open sewage ditch in Jakarta and produced water that met Environmental Protection Agency standards."

That is unbelievably cheap water, particularly when it's water you may already have in your taps or well, but dare not use for consumption!

Here is another related article:

http://www.kolotv.com/news/features/6/1768641.html

And www.watseco.com appears to be the company homepage:

I hope that they can make their product so successful that it is priced within reach of home users, but it doesn't sound like it wouldn't hurt to have some sort of system like this in place at the small community level.
Garnet & Jack

yorkman
udonmap.com

Post by yorkman » November 27, 2005, 1:58 am

Good information Garnet,

The only thing I cannot see on the website is pricing...it says specs and price list but the .pdf does not have pricing (or maybe it's me just not looking carefully)

They tested it with water from a sewage ditch!! Well, that should about cover the needs :lol:

John

yorkman
udonmap.com

Post by yorkman » January 16, 2006, 7:48 pm

As requested, a few more piccies as it progresses

After the rice crop slowdown, and the holidays, now a bit more progress

Taken a couple of weeks ago, roof trusses going on now and floors going in

John

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » January 17, 2006, 2:17 am

Good to see things are going well with it John.

yorkman
udonmap.com

Post by yorkman » January 17, 2006, 3:00 am

Its going well, but not perfectly. The Engineer thus far has been excellent (I will not as yet recommend and tempt fate) and has rectified immediately any problems found. He laughs a bit as he is not used to having a Civil Engineer (my brother in law) looking over his shoulder!! :lol:

However it does reinforce the oft given advice that they must be checked regularly. Minor problems thus far have included:

- concrete pours not completed in one go on beams, because they have run out of concrete. They wanted to finish it the next day. They did remove and do it all again when it was pointed out

- Not wrapping the concrete in plastic to allow a slow dry. Fixed within 1 hour when spotted

- Not tying in ALL the uprights both top and (3 missing) bottom. This actually is a minor issue given that they have driven piles some 6m plus into the ground and drilled and pressure concreted them into bedrock, but its on the plan...sooooooo

Its not the Engineer (his responsibility though) or necessarily the contracted builder, he cannot be there all the time, but and this is the point, these things would not cause problems until maybe 5 years down the line, and then where are you when the walls start cracking.

I took a look at some construction in one of the well known "villages" around Udon, and spotted all the same issues and others. Example: putting rubberised water supply pipe under a floor prior to laying the concrete floor. Zero access when (not if) that becomes a problem, unless you want to dig up your tiled lounge area.

However, on the upside.....they have made a cock up about which I am keeping very quiet until its too late to go back. It looks like I might have a somewhat larger house than I am paying for!!!!! They are building a second floor over a rear 6*5 metre covered patio area and that is not on the plan!. Looks like it might be a 4 bedroom house soon! :lol: Already planned are the shocked looks and how are you going to fix this questions.

I do not mean to paint a black picture, its generally going very well. I would just hate to be an absentee ( me, partially) potential house owner without somebody local you can absolutely trust and that they respect.

John

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » January 17, 2006, 11:04 am

John,i do remember the fun of building this house.Really must be around at all times or they will do their own thing rather than "bother" you and ask how something needs to be done."geng jai" causes many a hassle between Thai and farang. :)

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » January 17, 2006, 2:28 pm

what size pool are you building, I'm thinking of putting one in myself. Is your builder installing the pool himself or is he hiring a pool company. If its a pool company could you leave any contact details on this thread, i'd like to speak with them direct.
Also, if it's not too rude to ask, what's the final charge for the pool.

yorkman
udonmap.com

Post by yorkman » January 17, 2006, 4:42 pm

Was the question for me Kudjap?

In which case I can be of only limited help. The pool is stage 2 when the house is complete, so at this stage I have just established where it is to go, so no drains, piping or whatever go there, and had some rough quotes.

No the builder is not doing this; he openly states he has no experience of doing it. For a kidney shaped recreational rather than serious swimming pool so far indications are 300,000 to 500,000B. The variation is more a function of the filtration systems, as the better systems are imported from Australia or the USA. I will be contracting with a pool company direct.

I will leave some details later in the year, assuming that its a good job that is!

Maybe Mike the OP can help more, he is doing the same except a more ambitious pool, and he might be further down the line with this now.

John

yorkman
udonmap.com

Post by yorkman » January 17, 2006, 8:33 pm

businessman wrote:John,i do remember the fun of building this house.Really must be around at all times or they will do their own thing rather than "bother" you and ask how something needs to be done."geng jai" causes many a hassle between Thai and farang. :)
Yes it's fun most of the time. I am still amazed a bit at the skill and knowledge thats actually demonstrated time and time again by the on site workers. The single power tool is for chopping the rebar and the rest is ingenuity. I, frankly, would not be as cheerful and friendly if I was working 8:30 to 5, in the heat, for 150B a day!

yorkman
udonmap.com

Post by yorkman » February 9, 2006, 1:30 am

A couple more..... basic pours for the floors complete...

This is done first before the roof steel framing, reflective insulation and tiling goes on to strengthen further the alignment of the structure and give a working base higher up. For the same reason my own tame (almost) in family civil engineer has "recommended" :wink: that they brick it up as well.

The....errr...scaffolding :lol: can go mostly now, to be made into platforms to work on the roof

John

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » February 9, 2006, 2:45 am

It's looking good John

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Housebuilding contractors in Udorn

Post by FrazeeDK » February 14, 2006, 5:36 am

I also plan to build a retirement home in Udorn outside the ringroad. If you could give me specifics on your contractor I'd appreciate it..

I agree with the group opinion that having "family" build the house is a no-win situation.. I had relatives build a small studio-bungalow on our land which turned out OK but it was a real headache getting them to build it to my specs.. I always bot the "bo ngarm" when I tried to get them to do it my way.. A solid contract with a builder would be more to my liking..

Dave [email protected]
Dave

Coot
udonmap.com

Post by Coot » February 14, 2006, 11:59 am

but it was a real headache getting them to build it to my specs..
Frazee,my mate popped home for a couple of weeks and came back to find the toilet located in the very centre of the bathroom.The funniest thing was that the toilet roll holder was on the wall a good few steps away :)
Bald is beautiful.

yorkman
udonmap.com

Re: Housebuilding contractors in Udorn

Post by yorkman » February 14, 2006, 12:53 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:I also plan to build a retirement home in Udorn outside the ringroad. If you could give me specifics on your contractor I'd appreciate it..

I agree with the group opinion that having "family" build the house is a no-win situation.. I had relatives build a small studio-bungalow on our land which turned out OK but it was a real headache getting them to build it to my specs.. I always bot the "bo ngarm" when I tried to get them to do it my way.. A solid contract with a builder would be more to my liking..

Dave [email protected]
No problem Dave, I'll PM you the details later when I have found the address of their office in Udon.

With one caveat, the builder he is using on mine has made a few mistakes from the plans (one to my advantage :lol:) , and has tried to cut a few corners. The Contracter has inevitably fixed them when it has been pointed out, but it does need the other oft given advice.. check it all the time

John

yorkman
udonmap.com

Re: Housebuilding contractors in Udorn

Post by yorkman » February 16, 2006, 3:39 am

FrazeeDK wrote:I also plan to build a retirement home in Udorn outside the ringroad. If you could give me specifics on your contractor I'd appreciate it
Just as a sort of amusing aside...I did'nt find it amusing at the time! Very narky Farang...LOL

At first we went to a guy with a big new office up near Home Mart

5000B (Bargain I thought!!!), plans from scratch, he even did a beautifull model, his office is full of them. Showed us a few properties under construction, including a very nice house outside Udon. So I coughed up.

After the plans were complete, I just questioned the pillar in the middle of the lounge area, it held the apex of the roof up if you followed the plans. I am no structural/civil engineer but I could see that. So I asked, could he redesign it, strengthen the beams across so it was not needed. A big smile, no problem

The next day, new plans, he had Tippexed (typists corrrection fluid) it out! I walked away at that point :roll:

TIT, a lesson learned.... but the same as everywhere, you pay peanuts and you get monkeys

John

p.s. We kept the model, its excellent!!!! :lol:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 16, 2006, 3:48 am

John....has the model got a tippexed support beam as well?? :D

Return to “House & Land”