Double glazed or single glazed????

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
Barney
udonmap.com

Re: Double glazed or single glazed????

Post by Barney » June 11, 2017, 11:15 am

Marcosteffano wrote:
Barney wrote:My windows and doors were procured from EuroPVC windows in Pattaya.
The quote included a 4 man including supervisor team to drive up with the doors and windows and fix in place.
No problems and a top fit as my bluescope prefabricated steel frames were already in place. Millimeter perfect.

The glazing was double glass with the air gap, the outer pane was laminated and tinted. The lamination for me was a security issue. I had the same specification of windows installed in my houses in Vietnam and when the local motor bike hoons threw bricks at my house from the empty block next door the window glass stayed in place with no shattering.
I have mentioned in my build post that the double glazing has worked perfectly and my tests on hot sunny days with a personal hand touch test shows that the internal glass is at least half the temp of the outer pane. In fact we do not have window covering as yet and the house is still very cool with out AC installed.

My experience having lived in many hot climates areas led me to have a full package of household heat reductions in my design.
Including fully insulated outer walls, fully insulated ceiling space, insulated metal roof sheeting, heat resistant paint application on the roof sheeting, long verandah overhangs, double glazed windows and doors, large doors for ventilation. AC and ceiling fans are also inplace.
I don't have prices as they are at home and I am in Dubai, the windows and doors are of a high quality including SS locking system and smooth rolling when opening and closing, quality secure handles etc and were not cheap but I got what I paid for and very happy with the result. I may have over specified and went higher in cost of what I really needed but I did not want to retrofit anything else later to cool the house. I did not contemplate single glazing at any stage so have no idea if a price difference.
All sounds great,I don't have people throwing bricks at my windows thank god.mm perfect sounds good as it'll keep the bed bugs our and the quality sounds like they should last you a good 60-70 years.im not really interested in the price,thanks.
I'm not interested in price either but other mentioned it.
But you did get the main item I was highlighting is the double glaze for me is far superior in all aspects, cold , heat , sound, not curtains required, will just put blinds, less A/C required just to name a few.
I am no more an expert than the next guy and just had the budget to buy what I consider a better quality product from my own experience for my personal house. The fact my windows may last 60 or 70 years doesn't come into it either. I live for the now and want to be comfortable.
If I was refurbishing a property to rent or sell I probably wouldn't give a toss about quality.

Good luck with what you choose if you haven't already, horses for courses.

Return to “House & Land”