Double glazed or single glazed????

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Re: Double glazed or single glazed????

Post by Marcosteffano » June 6, 2017, 9:30 pm

Never seen double glazing anywhere.as I asked before could you let me know where I can find the company you used as they seem to know what they are doing.mine are single glazed upvc and for 20% more I will use double glazing units.im talking about the whole unit including the frame,not just the glass.like I said previously I got mine off the shelf and cut the holes to suit,which was 20mm all around the windows I replaced.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 7, 2017, 5:49 am

Marcosteffano wrote:Never seen double glazing anywhere.as I asked before could you let me know where I can find the company you used as they seem to know what they are doing.mine are single glazed upvc and for 20% more I will use double glazing units.im talking about the whole unit including the frame,not just the glass.like I said previously I got mine off the shelf and cut the holes to suit,which was 20mm all around the windows I replaced.
As I mentioned, I have seen off the shelf double glazing in GlobalHouse in KK but as many things in Thailand sometimes they have it sometimes they don't. I haven't looked in the last 2 years as we have our windows.

As I said the company name is on the back of their shirts on page 7 of my build story, and they come from Bangkok. They spent 7 days fitting our windows, doors and mosquito nets. The tools they use (Festool) will give you an idea of the prices they charge. I would guess that their quote for single glazed units (they make all the windows in factory) will be a lot higher than any local company. They have made windows for the British ambassadors residence in Laos, US embassy in Bangkok as well as the US ambassador in Bangkok

And of course we are talking about the complete windows not just the glazing unit.

If you are comparing the cost of glazing units only then by definition the will be at least double the price assuming you are using two sheets of glass the same thickness as in the single.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » June 7, 2017, 6:09 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
Marcosteffano wrote:Never seen double glazing anywhere.as I asked before could you let me know where I can find the company you used as they seem to know what they are doing.mine are single glazed upvc and for 20% more I will use double glazing units.im talking about the whole unit including the frame,not just the glass.like I said previously I got mine off the shelf and cut the holes to suit,which was 20mm all around the windows I replaced.
As I mentioned, I have seen off the shelf double glazing in GlobalHouse in KK but as many things in Thailand sometimes they have it sometimes they don't. I haven't looked in the last 2 years as we have our windows.

As I said the company name is on the back of their shirts on page 7 of my build story. They spent 7 days fitting our windows, doors and mosquito nets. The tools they use (Festool) will give you an idea of the prices they charge. I would guess that their quote for single glazed units (they make all the windows in factory) will be a lot higher than any local company.

And of course we are talking about the complete windows not just the glazing unit.

If you are comparing the cost of glazing units only then by definition the will be at least double the price assuming you are using two sheets of glass the same thickness as in the single.
I searched through the photos,are you taking the piss,they've all got safety harnesses on.whats the problem with just giving me the name of the company.talk about hard work.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » June 7, 2017, 7:57 am

all this talk about prices but again not mentioning any?
maybe it is time to put some prices by those whom claiming to have bought at a good price , without them no comparison possible ...as building a home also, i have all exact prices of what i payed, how big window ? what price ?
so we can compare our self what the extra price is for uvpc double glazed...thanks.. ;)

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 7, 2017, 8:16 am

Marcosteffano wrote: I think we've got crossed lines here.i was trying to explain that we get light from the sun that when it reaches us it is then transferred into heat.same as a solar panel.we don't get electric from the sun,we get light and convert it into electric.my belief is infrared radiation isn't heat until by some way is converted into heat.sorry if I've got this wrong but I'm a brickie and left school at an early age to go on the cement mixer and hod.
You have a skill set that I could never get.

A brief explanation assuming nothing. The sun produces radiation ranging from very long waves to very short x-rays are an example of extremely short wave radiation.

Visible light is a small part of the range. Red is long, blue is short.

Currently solar panels use the visible light radiation range (violet to re 380-750nm) but a future technology will also use light from the infrared into the ultraviolet. One of the reasons why they produce most electricity between 10am and 3pm is that is when they can get the greatest light.

Heat:
It is transferred in three ways

Conduction, the most efficient, touch a hot exhaust pipe and you have an instant burn.
Convection, you need some thing like air or water for that to work, hold you hand high above a hot exhaust pipe and most of the heat will come from the hot air, a little from infrared radiation.
Radiation (infrared), this is the same kind as light it travels best when there's nothing to stop it (space), hold your hand under and near the hot exhaust pipe. The heat you feel is from radiation.

To reduce heat coming through your windows by radiation you don't need to stop light, you need to stop infrared radiation. Low-E glass reduces IR much more than visible light. It is better to stop the heat from coming through the glass than stop it inside your house.

Glass can be a very high technology product and engineered to stop or transmit many different frequencies. You pay for the technology and research.

Glass can be a very low tech product and cheap, often made in China.
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » June 7, 2017, 8:37 am

Marcosteffano wrote: I think we've got crossed lines here.i was trying to explain that we get light from the sun that when it reaches us it is then transferred into heat.same as a solar panel.we don't get electric from the sun,we get light and convert it into electric.my belief is infrared radiation isn't heat until by some way is converted into heat.sorry if I've got this wrong but I'm a brickie and left school at an early age to go on the cement mixer and hod.
You have a skill set that I could never get.

A brief explanation assuming nothing. The sun produces radiation ranging from very long waves to very short x-rays are an example of extremely short wave radiation.

Visible light is a small part of the range. Red is long, blue is short.

Currently solar panels use the visible light radiation range (violet to re 380-750nm) but a future technology will also use light from the infrared into the ultraviolet. One of the reasons why they produce most electricity between 10am and 3pm is that is when they can get the greatest light.

Heat:
It is transferred in three ways

Conduction, the most efficient, touch a hot exhaust pipe and you have an instant burn.
Convection, you need some thing like air or water for that to work, hold you hand high above a hot exhaust pipe and most of the heat will come from the hot air, a little from infrared radiation.
Radiation (infrared), this is the same kind as light it travels best when there's nothing to stop it (space), hold your hand under and near the hot exhaust pipe. The heat you feel is from radiation.

To reduce heat coming through your windows by radiation you don't need to stop light, you need to stop infrared radiation. Low-E glass reduces IR much more than visible light. It is better to stop the heat from coming through the glass than stop it inside your house.

Glass can be a very high technology product and engineered to stop or transmit many different frequencies. You pay for the technology and research.

Glass can be a very low tech product and cheap, often made in China.
Yes we've gone through all the physics of radiation,light spectrum,blah,blah,blah.how about you just supply me with the name of this window company instead of making me run around the block looking at a name on the tshirt of your window fitters that are working on your mrs house.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 7, 2017, 10:58 am

kopkei wrote:all this talk about prices but again not mentioning any?
maybe it is time to put some prices by those whom claiming to have bought at a good price , without them no comparison possible ...as building a home also, i have all exact prices of what i payed, how big window ? what price ?
so we can compare our self what the extra price is for uvpc double glazed...thanks.. ;)
I haven't read anything about buying at a good price, nor yet have I posted anything about a good price. I have posted about a differential.

If by good you mean low then you need to get off the shelf windows as it will be virtually impossible to match the price/quality of them.

If by good you include service, frame quality, glass quality, glass options, installation team, and after sales service then you will be paying a significant multiple of the cheapest price.

An example of low cost is in SWMBO' build http://bit.ly/GMnewHouse

The only way to get a like for like comparison is by getting quotes from the same company for the same profile with the different options (single/double glazing). SWMBO and I spent several hours discussing all the different options with the company who supplied our windows the percentages I have talked about came from them, every other piece of information we got from them has proved to be correct.

Don't try to compare a Tata Nano with a Bentley Mulsanne.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » June 7, 2017, 12:51 pm

so if you only can compare within the same company? , it is indeed useless to post any price as we can ask a quote our self , how ever it would be useful for feature posters to also please mention the price so we can make up our mind again our self if we are comparing a tata with a bentley? and even so we will know the difference in price and than it is up to us which one we are interested in , and we can decide if it is really worth the extra money .. , i see so many people come here building a castle with a retaining wall to withstand an elephant stampede ...using all imported materials whom cost double or triple the price of local material ? (as they never mention price ) ,thinking they will have a better,more quality home ? , no way ...as to my opinion ...i was maybe like this too when i first moved to los , but not anymore , i have realized you can build a nice home/swim inexpensive with the use of local materials whom will do the job too , and local workers , if you have little knowledge about building ... when i read some posters they start building , need engineers , making everything complicated using imported goods ,comparing everything with their home country, i am shaking my head the complete build as they make everything way to complicated and unnecessary expensive ,but we are all different and at the end what is important ? that you are happy and stay happy with what you have done ...
good luck to all....

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » June 7, 2017, 1:04 pm

When your only going to the market a Bentley to tata will do the same job..in fact why buy the mrs and her family a bentley when they would be happy with a tata.

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » June 7, 2017, 2:58 pm

love this thread,3 pages of the scientific values of glass and curtains,but no answer to the real question about costs and recommendations?beer wars,pie wars,pasty wars.fan wars, pizza wars now double glazing wars,ffs,lol,better than coronation street,its like talking to a politician,can,t get a straight answer

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » June 7, 2017, 3:16 pm

TAXIfor7/11 wrote:love this thread,3 pages of the scientific values of glass and curtains,but no answer to the real question about costs and recommendations?beer wars,pie wars,pasty wars.fan wars, pizza wars now double glazing wars,ffs,lol,better than coronation street,its like talking to a politician,can,t get a straight answer
Imjust would like the name of this double glazing company.ffs

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » June 7, 2017, 3:34 pm

TAXIfor7/11 wrote:love this thread,3 pages of the scientific values of glass and curtains,but no answer to the real question about costs and recommendations?beer wars,pie wars,pasty wars.fan wars, pizza wars now double glazing wars,ffs,lol,better than coronation street,its like talking to a politician,can,t get a straight answer
Ive Sussed it.he recommend global,maybe look at the bentley range,stay away from the lada range as the glass ain't isotope or bulletproof.lmao.

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » June 7, 2017, 5:39 pm

You forgot the big PORK war 555

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » June 7, 2017, 5:57 pm

macca46 wrote:You forgot the big PORK war 555
lol,yeh forgot that one macca :D the fat ozzie who was posting under 4 different user names :D

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » June 7, 2017, 6:58 pm

TAXIfor7/11 wrote:
macca46 wrote:You forgot the big PORK war 555
lol,yeh forgot that one macca :D the fat ozzie who was posting under 4 different user names :D
Hehe, the shop never did open did it? I notice the website is back up & running but still no prices though :-"
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 7, 2017, 8:01 pm

kopkei wrote:so if you only can compare within the same company? , it is indeed useless to post any price as we can ask a quote our self , how ever it would be useful for feature posters to also please mention the price so we can make up our mind again our self if we are comparing a tata with a bentley? and even so we will know the difference in price and than it is up to us which one we are interested in , and we can decide if it is really worth the extra money .. , i see so many people come here building a castle with a retaining wall to withstand an elephant stampede ...using all imported materials whom cost double or triple the price of local material ? (as they never mention price ) ,thinking they will have a better,more quality home ? , no way ...as to my opinion ...i was maybe like this too when i first moved to los , but not anymore , i have realized you can build a nice home/swim inexpensive with the use of local materials whom will do the job too , and local workers , if you have little knowledge about building ... when i read some posters they start building , need engineers , making everything complicated using imported goods ,comparing everything with their home country, i am shaking my head the complete build as they make everything way to complicated and unnecessary expensive ,but we are all different and at the end what is important ? that you are happy and stay happy with what you have done ...
good luck to all....
I realised that the link I posted was missing many of the pictures so here is a "tata" or maybe a "Chery QQ " build with all the pictures. Budget 300,000 it came in at 20% over at 360,000
http://bit.ly/2r1wYX1

As with Barney with people who I have visited or who have taken the time to visit or make direct contact, we have shared information.

My comments with regard to the details related to price was one of double glazed unit compared to single glazed not of individual suppliers so there's no point in posting the prices of the windows I installed. The information that the difference between them should not be 200% to 300% higher but in the region of 20% maybe a bit more will give you the information you need to judge if the quotations you get are from a company who wants your business or is pricing IGU's way too high.

Just FWIW and AFIK the only non local materials in my build, including the steel, are the window profiles (for quality) and the dimmable LED ceiling lights (because of availability).

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » June 7, 2017, 8:27 pm

kopkei wrote:so if you only can compare within the same company? , it is indeed useless to post any price as we can ask a quote our self , how ever it would be useful for feature posters to also please mention the price so we can make up our mind again our self if we are comparing a tata with a bentley? and even so we will know the difference in price and than it is up to us which one we are interested in , and we can decide if it is really worth the extra money .. , i see so many people come here building a castle with a retaining wall to withstand an elephant stampede ...using all imported materials whom cost double or triple the price of local material ? (as they never mention price ) ,thinking they will have a better,more quality home ? , no way ...as to my opinion ...i was maybe like this too when i first moved to los , but not anymore , i have realized you can build a nice home/swim inexpensive with the use of local materials whom will do the job too , and local workers , if you have little knowledge about building ... when i read some posters they start building , need engineers , making everything complicated using imported goods ,comparing everything with their home country, i am shaking my head the complete build as they make everything way to complicated and unnecessary expensive ,but we are all different and at the end what is important ? that you are happy and stay happy with what you have done ...
good luck to all....
The manufacture of my windows don't make or supply double glazing so I would like the name of your company for a quote as you must of done the shopping around for double glazing and got a good price.like I've said I've never come across double glazing companies,they all seem to be kept secret.
I realised that the link I posted was missing many of the pictures so here is a "tata" or maybe a "Chery QQ " build with all the pictures. Budget 300,000 it came in at 20% over at 360,000
http://bit.ly/2r1wYX1

As with Barney with people who I have visited or who have taken the time to visit or make direct contact, we have shared information.

My comments with regard to the details related to price was one of double glazed unit compared to single glazed not of individual suppliers so there's no point in posting the prices of the windows I installed. The information that the difference between them should not be 200% to 300% higher but in the region of 20% maybe a bit more will give you the information you need to judge if the quotations you get are from a company who wants your business or is pricing IGU's way too high.

Just FWIW and AFIK the only non local materials in my build, including the steel, are the window profiles (for quality) and the dimmable LED ceiling lights (because of availability).

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 8, 2017, 1:21 pm

My windows and doors were procured from EuroPVC windows in Pattaya.
The quote included a 4 man including supervisor team to drive up with the doors and windows and fix in place.
No problems and a top fit as my bluescope prefabricated steel frames were already in place. Millimeter perfect.

The glazing was double glass with the air gap, the outer pane was laminated and tinted. The lamination for me was a security issue. I had the same specification of windows installed in my houses in Vietnam and when the local motor bike hoons threw bricks at my house from the empty block next door the window glass stayed in place with no shattering.
I have mentioned in my build post that the double glazing has worked perfectly and my tests on hot sunny days with a personal hand touch test shows that the internal glass is at least half the temp of the outer pane. In fact we do not have window covering as yet and the house is still very cool with out AC installed.

My experience having lived in many hot climates areas led me to have a full package of household heat reductions in my design.
Including fully insulated outer walls, fully insulated ceiling space, insulated metal roof sheeting, heat resistant paint application on the roof sheeting, long verandah overhangs, double glazed windows and doors, large doors for ventilation. AC and ceiling fans are also inplace.
I don't have prices as they are at home and I am in Dubai, the windows and doors are of a high quality including SS locking system and smooth rolling when opening and closing, quality secure handles etc and were not cheap but I got what I paid for and very happy with the result. I may have over specified and went higher in cost of what I really needed but I did not want to retrofit anything else later to cool the house. I did not contemplate single glazing at any stage so have no idea if a price difference.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » June 8, 2017, 10:28 pm

Hi Barney.
I worked in Dubai for a few years in the construction industry and was very pleasantly surprised at how good their building standards worked in what could be quite extreme temperatures.
We have built a home up here in UT and after living in it through all the seasons at least twice would give a couple of observations/recommendations.
1. Use the thermal building blocks, ACB,s on any wall that is going to be exposed to direct sunlight.
2. Use the Aussie metal roof system with Phenolic Foam insulation bonded to it. A wee bit more expensive and you do not look like you are living in a Spanish villa but both 1 and 2 save so much in temperature comfort well worth the money.
3. If within your budget go for double glazed, hinged windows. That was my mistake. Most locally manufactured systems are just frames with runners working horizontally, there needs to be a fair bit of tolerance/gaps to make this system work.
Amazing how much dust, dirt and insects get through these gaps.
Good luck with your build.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » June 9, 2017, 11:48 pm

Barney wrote:My windows and doors were procured from EuroPVC windows in Pattaya.
The quote included a 4 man including supervisor team to drive up with the doors and windows and fix in place.
No problems and a top fit as my bluescope prefabricated steel frames were already in place. Millimeter perfect.

The glazing was double glass with the air gap, the outer pane was laminated and tinted. The lamination for me was a security issue. I had the same specification of windows installed in my houses in Vietnam and when the local motor bike hoons threw bricks at my house from the empty block next door the window glass stayed in place with no shattering.
I have mentioned in my build post that the double glazing has worked perfectly and my tests on hot sunny days with a personal hand touch test shows that the internal glass is at least half the temp of the outer pane. In fact we do not have window covering as yet and the house is still very cool with out AC installed.

My experience having lived in many hot climates areas led me to have a full package of household heat reductions in my design.
Including fully insulated outer walls, fully insulated ceiling space, insulated metal roof sheeting, heat resistant paint application on the roof sheeting, long verandah overhangs, double glazed windows and doors, large doors for ventilation. AC and ceiling fans are also inplace.
I don't have prices as they are at home and I am in Dubai, the windows and doors are of a high quality including SS locking system and smooth rolling when opening and closing, quality secure handles etc and were not cheap but I got what I paid for and very happy with the result. I may have over specified and went higher in cost of what I really needed but I did not want to retrofit anything else later to cool the house. I did not contemplate single glazing at any stage so have no idea if a price difference.
All sounds great,I don't have people throwing bricks at my windows thank god.mm perfect sounds good as it'll keep the bed bugs our and the quality sounds like they should last you a good 60-70 years.im not really interested in the price,thanks.

Return to “House & Land”