Central Air AC spilt AC units

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
Barney
udonmap.com

Central Air AC spilt AC units

Post by Barney » June 5, 2017, 3:47 pm

Question on the Central Air brand of split AC units, I do not know them and wife is being advised and offered this brand as a like for like unit compared to other known brands, LG, Mitsubishi etc etc
Just like to know if UM members have procured and have any personal positive or negative comments on the long term operation. Noise levels and maintenance. They will be in 3 bedrooms and a separate TV room.
I'll be getting Inverter type.

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Central Air AC spilt AC units

Post by parrot » June 5, 2017, 4:41 pm

We've got Daikin inverters and have been very happy with them going on 5 years.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 5, 2017, 10:01 pm

Thanks parrot Daikin is on my preferred as a known brand as is Mitsubishi.
Was hoping someone had the Central Air units so I can compare. They appear cheaper probably because they are Thai and promoted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 14, 2017, 9:43 am

Barney wrote:Thanks parrot Daikin is on my preferred as a known brand as is Mitsubishi.
Was hoping someone had the Central Air units so I can compare. They appear cheaper probably because they are Thai and promoted

The bedroom of my condo had a unit called Central Air. I don't know about the quality today but the compressor died after 10 years. I don't think that was a bad lifespan. I bought a new LG rather than spending 8,000 baht for a new compressor.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 14, 2017, 10:27 am

glalt wrote:
Barney wrote:Thanks parrot Daikin is on my preferred as a known brand as is Mitsubishi.

The bedroom of my condo had a unit called Central Air. I don't know about the quality today but the compressor died after 10 years. I don't think that was a bad lifespan. I bought a new LG rather than spending 8,000 baht for a new compressor.

Thanks for the reply glalt.
My gf did the extensive rounds for brands and pricing etc and we both decided to eventually go with what we new and trusted. Mitsubishi was the call. Used them for a long time now both in our houses and business. The central air were the cheaper option, probably because they are Thai. Not meaning that in a bad way for quality, just didn't know them.
GF liked the style and chose Mitsubishi Mr Slim inverters split units....2 x 12000 btu for the bedroom and 18000 for the larger office come gym room.
We actually had the pipes and cabling looms installed separately some time back in the wall cavities when we had the gyproc placed.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 14, 2017, 12:03 pm

On an earlier tread, I went with Hitachi and another member got a sweet deal on Samsung. Regardless of brand, the most common cause of air conditioner problems is a poor installation; service wiring not heavy enough, bad drain runs, leaving out vibration isolation, etc.. As long as the installers don't cut corners and know what they are doing, they should be fine but since it's hot season, there may be some 'cowboy' installers out there as well as guys rushing just because they are flat out busy.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 14, 2017, 12:34 pm

tamada wrote:On an earlier tread, I went with Hitachi and another member got a sweet deal on Samsung. Regardless of brand, the most common cause of air conditioner problems is a poor installation; service wiring not heavy enough, bad drain runs, leaving out vibration isolation, etc.. As long as the installers don't cut corners and know what they are doing, they should be fine but since it's hot season, there may be some 'cowboy' installers out there as well as guys rushing just because they are flat out busy.
So true Tamada, poor standards seem to be a pre-requisite for some so called tradesmen in any country.

We are lucky as our guy does not tick any of those shonky boxes.
He has pre installed all the AC pipes/cables etc in the walls.
Wired our whole house and fitted all lights and fans and 2 distribution boards.
Installed the insulation in the roof and walls.
Is doing the new water meter with the local chief and incoming water mains
Arranged our own new electric mains pole and 2 govt meters for the individual houses.
Placing of the 4 x 2000ltr water tanks, pumps and all piping into the house.
Will install the toilets and basins
He always goes with my girl to negotiate a better deal.
Top all round worker with good tradesman contacts, never does anything with out asking.
He knows which side his bread is buttered on.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 14, 2017, 5:35 pm

Barney wrote:
tamada wrote:On an earlier tread, I went with Hitachi and another member got a sweet deal on Samsung. Regardless of brand, the most common cause of air conditioner problems is a poor installation; service wiring not heavy enough, bad drain runs, leaving out vibration isolation, etc.. As long as the installers don't cut corners and know what they are doing, they should be fine but since it's hot season, there may be some 'cowboy' installers out there as well as guys rushing just because they are flat out busy.
So true Tamada, poor standards seem to be a pre-requisite for some so called tradesmen in any country.

We are lucky as our guy does not tick any of those shonky boxes.
He has pre installed all the AC pipes/cables etc in the walls.
Wired our whole house and fitted all lights and fans and 2 distribution boards.
Installed the insulation in the roof and walls.
Is doing the new water meter with the local chief and incoming water mains
Arranged our own new electric mains pole and 2 govt meters for the individual houses.
Placing of the 4 x 2000ltr water tanks, pumps and all piping into the house.
Will install the toilets and basins
He always goes with my girl to negotiate a better deal.
Top all round worker with good tradesman contacts, never does anything with out asking.
He knows which side his bread is buttered on.
If he knows where and how to place ground (earth) spikes and wire them in, you may indeed have a winner there Barney.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » June 14, 2017, 6:50 pm

Should be a single 4mmX2 wire on separate circuit to all A/C units. I used Mitsubishi, great still quiet after 4 years.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 14, 2017, 7:18 pm

fatbob,

Thanks for the tip , good advice for others who have AC splits installed. Correct grounding size is a must. All the correct AC pipes, grounding and power wires pre installed in the steel frame walls and through a designated penetration in the slab. Individual circuits at the DB. Now we have just purchased the split sections to be installed inside and out.

Tamada,
Being a hairy ar..d sparky I have as part of the overall house design and, being a steel frame house, I had designed myself the grounding system.
4 independent ground rods at each corner of the house, these I only used gal stakes. Tested to below 2ohms. Another copper coated ground rod for the main dist board, and another at the pole I purchased and placed on my property.

I also have the steel roof grounded and tied into the steel frame via cable connections to the external ground system via cable connections for 2 personal reasons,
1 being lightning( would hope it goes staright to ground and not via delicate internal ground circuits and
2nd being the ceiling insulation has a foil backing and if there was ever a ceiling power short in the future it would be classed as safe.

Thanks for the tips guys. Good you can share info and ideas to the UM members whom may not know.

Will post the finished AC install on our house build thread later.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 15, 2017, 10:00 am

I bought my LG regular Air con from Tesco Lotus and quizzed them about the installer. They used a fairly large service company and I was very pleased with the installers. They did an excellent job and even cleaned up after themselves. I think it is a good idea to use the installers that work for the store where you bought the unit. If you use the recommended installer and have a problem, you can complain to the store.

I bought my Panasonic inverter from Home Pro and was also happy with their installers. I agree that you should avoid small cowboy installers. They may be OK but why take a chance.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » June 16, 2017, 7:28 am

agree that you should avoid small cowboy installers?....this is as with many other things not completely correct...
some big shops /installers tend to mess up too , as the small installers do have good people too...
it is a little bit luck to find the good ones ...i have posted in the other topic about our buy and installment with a so called cowboy? ,(everyone wants to make money...) it was perfectly installed at until now an unbeatable price for lg inverters..., nice people and perfect work ,and they do also have other brands....
of course not easy to compare if you don't post pictures AND price of your purchase....
and keep your prejudices to yourself if you don't really know the people...not an easy one for many here (sorry)
it is by informing with complete info that you can help people on a forum , and than it is up to them to use it or not ...
that's what a forum is all about....remember though, we are all different ...
good luck to all... ;)

JohnG
udonmap.com

Post by JohnG » July 1, 2017, 12:48 am

One very important point which appears to have been overlooked with all this talk of 'pre-installed pipes'.

You can't pre-install the pipes until you know what type of a/cs you'll be using as different
brands and different models use different gases and that means different sized pipes. There is no 'standard' size, and if you have pre-installed
pipes that will strictly limit your choice of brand / model / inverter / non-inverter, etc.

edit: and different brands will use the same gas but different size pipe, or different gas but the same size pipe. There is no 'standard' and one size doesn't fit all.

Plus, if you are planning on using inverters, you will need to have pre-installed an additional cable.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » July 1, 2017, 10:57 pm

JohnG wrote:One very important point which appears to have been overlooked with all this talk of 'pre-installed pipes'.

You can't pre-install the pipes until you know what type of a/cs you'll be using as different
brands and different models use different gases and that means different sized pipes. There is no 'standard' size, and if you have pre-installed
pipes that will strictly limit your choice of brand / model / inverter / non-inverter, etc.

edit: and different brands will use the same gas but different size pipe, or different gas but the same size pipe. There is no 'standard' and one size doesn't fit all.

Plus, if you are planning on using inverters, you will need to have pre-installed an additional cable.
John G
There has not been All this talk about pre-installed pipes. Only me.
Where did you get all this get all that info from about different size pipes for each different brand.
I would beg to differ

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » July 2, 2017, 4:41 am

Barney wrote:John G
Barney, Unfortunately, this moron is back on the forum.
Probably been kicked off a couple of other forums lately.
It's been quite peaceful and orderly since he has been away, but, alas, looks like we will all have to suffer his nonsense again for a while. :^o
Mick

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 2, 2017, 11:35 am

mickojak wrote:
July 2, 2017, 4:41 am
Barney wrote:John G
Barney, Unfortunately, this moron is back on the forum.
Probably been kicked off a couple of other forums lately.
It's been quite peaceful and orderly since he has been away, but, alas, looks like we will all have to suffer his nonsense again for a while. :^o
Mick
How to have a peaceful time
User Control Panel
Frends & Foes tab
Manage foes
Then add people you would rather ignore, optionaly if you want to let them know they have been added reply with "plonk"
Plonk is a Usenet jargon term for adding a particular poster to one's kill file so that that poster's future postings are completely ignored. It was first used in 1989, and by 1994[1] was a commonly used term on Usenet. To publicly repudiate a poster, it is added to one's reply or is simply used as the entire, one-word reply.
IMG_1142.jpeg
How to Stop idiots bothering you
Unfortunately if other people quote them you will see the part of the posting quoted.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » July 2, 2017, 12:10 pm

Thanks for that info STW,
But I really get a laugh whenever this clown posts :lol:
He's such a know all.

Makes me feel good knowing that there are bigger idiots out there than me \:D/
Mick

JohnG
udonmap.com

Post by JohnG » June 23, 2018, 3:48 pm

Thanks, Mick. No idea what you're getting so upset about, but evidently you know as much about a/c's as you do everything else you past about, and I haven't missed much while I've been away from the site.

The info about different sized pipes comes from the a/c installers at HomePro, and as a result of a mix up over a/cs. As a result we had the wrong diameter pipes installed for the a/cs we wanted so had to go for a different brand which, fortunately, turned out to be better and cheaper (Samsung). As I said, there is no 'standard' size and this is confirmed if you look at the detailed spec on the various brands' websites, which I did to confirm they were correct.

It's not "different size pipes for each different brand" - that's not what I said.

What I said was "different brands and different models use different gases and that means different sized pipes. There is no 'standard' size, and if you have pre-installed pipes that will strictly limit your choice of brand / model / inverter / non-inverter, etc." which is very different!

You may be able to use the pipes fitted for one brand for another, and you may be able to use them fitted for one gas for another - on the other hand, you may not. IIRC there are four different sizes and three different main types of gas.

It's simply not possible to pre-install a/c pipes that will fit all or even most different a/c units. A cowboy installer will probably be able to 'modify' them to fit, but any manufacturer's guarantee will be void.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » June 23, 2018, 6:41 pm

News to me and I've been doing rac systems for 40 years now.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 23, 2018, 7:02 pm

I had a piece of crap Panasonic inverter that never worked right. The serviceman came when I wasn't home and convinced my wife that it was fine. It wasn't and a couple months after the warranty finished, it died. They wanted 7,500 for a new board. They offered no warranty on the new board. I asked them why the original board failed. No answer.

I mention that because I replaced the crap Panasonic with an LG inverter. Both units were 12,000 BTU and the original Panasonic piping worked fine. The LG is working perfectly. I also have a 21,000 BTU LG and the copper piping is quite a bit larger. I think the same size units use the same size pipes. Bigger units, bigger pipes.

Return to “House & Land”