What roofing material and system is best in the area?

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
dang34

What roofing material and system is best in the area?

Post by dang34 » December 19, 2017, 9:14 am

Getting the Uncle to re-roof the Mother-In-law's roof near Udon Thani.

It's a simple farmer-built 2 story farm house but the roof area is large. It's a tin roof now with questionable wood rafters.

I'd like the rafters replaced and positive-connection tied to the top plates of the walls. Like Simpson H1's or H2.5's:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-Str ... /100375256
https://www.homedepot.com/p/18-Gauge-Hu ... mpson+h2.5

What membrane is the best value or most used in Udon?

Is there a type of wood to use, or NOT use? Grade/species?

What method of attachment is best? Sealing screws?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Metal-Sales ... /204741605

Any hot tips or experience?

glalt
udonmap.com

Re: What roofing material and system is best in the area?

Post by glalt » December 28, 2017, 4:32 pm

Since you are not getting too many opinions, I'll give you mine. Termite resistant wood such as teak will be more expensive than steel. I'd avoid wood altogether. For roofing an old house, I'd use the channeled painted steel. There are usually two grades, one being thicker and stronger than the other. I prefer the thicker grade. As far as fasteners, they sell self tapping screws with rubber sealing washers on each screw. I'd choose a seller that sells cut to length pieces. You will have fewer seams that way and no leaks. Tiles are nice but steel is much lighter, faster and easier to install.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 28, 2017, 5:38 pm

glalt wrote:
December 28, 2017, 4:32 pm
Since you are not getting too many opinions, I'll give you mine. Termite resistant wood such as teak will be more expensive than steel. I'd avoid wood altogether. For roofing an old house, I'd use the channeled painted steel. There are usually two grades, one being thicker and stronger than the other. I prefer the thicker grade. As far as fasteners, they sell self tapping screws with rubber sealing washers on each screw. I'd choose a seller that sells cut to length pieces. You will have fewer seams that way and no leaks. Tiles are nice but steel is much lighter, faster and easier to install.
+1 on the steel roof, though the C section comes in at least 4 thicknesses and you can also get galvanised C section as well. For the roof metal, get it with installation pre-installed, white is the coolest.

It's the roof we put on our house.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » December 28, 2017, 6:04 pm

Just as an example of a simple roof structure and cladding for a Issan farm property. But a lasting quality. Stick with steel to keep termites at bay.
We procured the box steel ( 2 sizes ) and all other light frame material from DoHome Nong Khai road , as its closest to our house. Its available at most hardware places.
Cut and welded the black steel frame on site, painted it with a decent product, for corrosion.
Placed the smaller top hat frame on that for screwing the roof sheet on. Other have already mentioned the screws and you have them on your attachment.
The white roof sheets in the photo are 9 meter long. There are cheaper types of sheeting available at many smaller hardware shops, buy them if you only want the roof to last about 5 years. Go to a better quality of all materials as the roof is the 1st protection required to a house.
The photos should give you an idea.
Attachments
Shelter16.JPG
Shelter6.JPG
Shelter9.JPG
Shelter13.JPG
Shelter22.JPG

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 28, 2017, 6:15 pm

Well worth the small added cost to add the thin layer of insulation to the underside of the steel roofing. It makes a difference!

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » December 28, 2017, 9:50 pm

parrot wrote:
December 28, 2017, 6:15 pm
Well worth the small added cost to add the thin layer of insulation to the underside of the steel roofing. It makes a difference!
Second that. When we changed our roof it knocked about 5 degrees Centigrade off both ends of the temperature range inside the house.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » December 28, 2017, 10:11 pm

With the metal roofing, has anyone considered using a very thin bead of silicone calk on top of each piece ridge before placing next piece over ridge. Hope I'm using correct name of ridge

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 28, 2017, 10:44 pm

Stantheman wrote:
December 28, 2017, 10:11 pm
With the metal roofing, has anyone considered using a very thin bead of silicone calk on top of each piece ridge before placing next piece over ridge. Hope I'm using correct name of ridge
There's no need to do that if you're worried about leaks. Adjoining pieces overlap......and if they're bolted in properly, you shouldn't have to worry about leaks.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 29, 2017, 7:40 am

rick wrote:
December 28, 2017, 9:50 pm
parrot wrote:
December 28, 2017, 6:15 pm
Second that. When we changed our roof it knocked about 5 degrees Centigrade off both ends of the temperature range inside the house.
It also reduces the noise when you have heavy rain.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » December 30, 2017, 10:30 am

We used steel sheet with the thin layer of insulation for the car port and steel sheet with the more expensive expanded polyurethane for the main house. The difference in noise levels between the two areas during heavy rain is incredible and the temperature levels in the main house make it well worth the relatively small additional cost.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » January 1, 2018, 4:19 pm

Just don't use that insulated stuff like this
20180101_155816.jpg
When installed thought a good idea, but after about a year, it starts to let go and then the birds started their attack
20180101_155855.jpg
Now thinking of replacing with Jatulon tiles (50 x 120) or (50 x 150), made of some sort of composite material

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » January 1, 2018, 6:27 pm

Ten years on my insulation is still perfect, depends on the supplier and how much contact adhesive is applied to glue the insulation to the sheets.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 1, 2018, 6:56 pm

RLTrader wrote:
January 1, 2018, 4:19 pm
Just don't use that insulated stuff like this
20180101_155816.jpg

When installed thought a good idea, but after about a year, it starts to let go and then the birds started their attack
20180101_155855.jpg
The installation under Grandmums roof after 5 ½ years looks exactly like the one on picture number 1. Nothing like number 2.

There is a roof in the village that has the same problem you do but it is about 10 years old.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » January 1, 2018, 9:42 pm

I'm not sure other than mine is several years old and no problem with the insulation coming off yet.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » January 1, 2018, 9:54 pm

Just to be clear, both pictures are current, 1st one is just zoomed in. Also really the damage is because of the birds.

Its 13 meter x 6 meter roof, some are fine, but besides the damaged ones, you can see others are letting go.

for some reason the birds or bird has given up on the others that have let go. Could take a picture, but doubt would be able to notice the difference.

Builder is the supplier so do know where he got the stuff.
I'm just saying, might be better to look at other material, but then again its up 2 you what you use.

dang34

Post by dang34 » January 12, 2018, 11:32 am

Thanks folks. Heavier gauge white metal pre-insulated it is.
Grandmom has termites so I'm looking at the site welded steel.
I would need to find hurricane clips to secure the roof membrane to the top plate. I suppose they could fabricate weld-on angle brackets with holes. I don't think Uncle welds, however, so there may be a Kabuki dance there.

Randall
udonmap.com

Post by Randall » February 12, 2018, 10:33 pm

I am interested in learning about these metal roofs. A woman
I know East of Udon Thani area needs a new roof.. her old composite tiles are all brittle. A antenna blew over and damaged the ridge and then the repair guy cracked more and said she needed a new roof... this was a couple years ago...What thickness of metal is best and what is a typical price per SQ M? She got a price for some metal with 5cm of insulation on the bottom, 0.3mm thick for like 160 baht/sqm estimate is 198 sq meters. Installation cost was 90 baht/sq m. Her underlying roof structure is metal she tells me. She has a drop ceiling but I am doubting any 6" of insulation.
She said 3 year warranted against leaking??
Do these costs seem realistic? I read some blogs for years ago with material prices of 300+ baht/sq m
She said it was colorbond. but I told her to get official written quote.
Some of my questions
Is a written quote normal?
What is a good thickness... she said they told her they have 0.3-0.5mm thickness.
What are typical warranties and are they respected?
Would different c channel need to be installed on the base structure for changing to metal?
I read where bluescope in Korat makes a good product and they measure house and pre cut metal so each run is one piece and just trim off some extra length onsite?
It seems like a metal roof should last for 15-20 years... from seeing this 3 tube bridged antenna bent over the roof like a wet noodle I am thinking this area can get high winds blowing across the rice paddy. But I dont know what was on top of the tower.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 13, 2018, 9:14 am

Randall wrote:
February 12, 2018, 10:33 pm
I am interested in learning about these metal roofs.

What thickness of metal is best and what is a typical price per SQ M? She got a price for some metal with 5cm of insulation on the bottom, 0.3mm thick for like 160 baht/sqm
Correct price for locally produced, used in the village, metal roof
estimate is 198 sq meters. Installation cost was 90 baht/sq m.
Sounds high too high

She said 3 year warranted against leaking??
Thai warranties are hit and miss.
Do these costs seem realistic? I read some blogs for years ago with material prices of 300+ baht/sq m
300+ baht/sq m Is Colourbond, hers is not. Colourbond Has a 30 year warranty.
She said it was colorbond. but I told her to get official written quote.
Is a written quote normal?
It can be
What is a good thickness... she said they told her they have 0.3-0.5mm thickness.
Depends on how much money is available .5 is better

What are typical warranties and are they respected?
See above
Would different c channel need to be installed on the base structure for changing to metal?
No
I read where bluescope in Korat makes a good product and they measure house and pre cut metal so each run is one piece and just trim off some extra length onsite?
They do, it is in Ban Hat. There is another company in Khon Kaen, pictures under
IMG_3162-3.jpeg
IMG_3161-3.jpeg
IMG_3160-3.jpeg
IMG_3159-3.jpeg
IMG_3158-3.jpeg

It seems like a metal roof should last for 15-20 years... from seeing this 3 tube bridged antenna bent over the roof like a wet noodle I am thinking this area can get high winds blowing across the rice paddy. But I dont know what was on top of the tower.
Colourbond over 30 years, local thin cheap metal less.

Randall
udonmap.com

Post by Randall » February 13, 2018, 11:49 am

Is it Colourbond or colorbond? Metal less? Non metalic?
The company is telling her that if they give her quote they expect to start work? How can a person tell a roofing company to start work until you see the job description and materials to be used written down.

So labor of 90 baht/ sq m sounds high? Her house is 45 km outside of Udon Thani hard to get workers.
What is a typical labor cost?

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 13, 2018, 4:42 pm

Randall wrote:
February 13, 2018, 11:49 am
Is it Colourbond or colorbond? Metal less? Non metalic?
The company is telling her that if they give her quote they expect to start work? How can a person tell a roofing company to start work until you see the job description and materials to be used written down.

So labor of 90 baht/ sq m sounds high? Her house is 45 km outside of Udon Thani hard to get workers.
What is a typical labor cost?
I'm English so I automatically spell colour correctly :?

I don't understand
Metal less? Non metalic?
Unless there is a very large amount of work to do like stripping off the old roof, cleaning and painting the steel, etc then 17,000 to install 31,000 of materials is definitely too high.
hard to get workers.
the standard complaint to raise the price.

A skilled welder 800, Forman 1000 labourer 300~400, wives 150~200. All per day cost

Our roof used a professional team, sent from Bangkok and it was 300 Baht sqm and 73 Baht installation with a 30 year guarantee.

Return to “House & Land”