Domestic water supply - a question about strength of flow.

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
Owld Feller
udonmap.com

Domestic water supply - a question about strength of flow.

Post by Owld Feller » April 19, 2018, 2:07 pm

I live on a small modern estate (about 10 years old) comprising of near identical detached bungalows.

Each has its water housed in an outside tank which then is pumped into the house as required.

My problem is that the water flow from the taps can vary dramatically and be low to say the least.

I could understand how it could vary if the pump was designed to fill the tank from the mains, where water pressure could come into play, but it isn't - it's after the tank on the house side.

To me, logic would suggest that with a full tank when a tap is turned on it should then always be pumped in at the same rate.

Any thoughts will be very gratefully received

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Re: Domestic water supply - a question about strength of flow.

Post by Doodoo » April 19, 2018, 3:23 pm

Plugged suction to the Pump?

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » April 19, 2018, 4:18 pm

from what i understand is that you have a tank and pump to pump the water to the house, if the water pressure is getting low could only mean that the suction is clogged , (or some problem with the pump?)so check the foot valve int he tank , maybe dirty ? ever cleaned the tank ? full tank or not is irrelevant (not lower than suction though ) for constant water flow.. ,also check first if the faucet filters are not clogged by dirt ...;)

Owld Feller
udonmap.com

Post by Owld Feller » April 19, 2018, 7:07 pm

Doodoo pt wrote:
April 19, 2018, 3:23 pm
price?Plugged suction to the Pump?
kopkei wrote:
April 19, 2018, 4:18 pm
from what i understand is that you have a tank and pump to pump the water to the house, if the water pressure is getting low could only mean that the suction is clogged , (or some problem with the pump?)so check the foot valve int he tank , maybe dirty ? ever cleaned the tank ? full tank or not is irrelevant (not lower than suction though ) for constant water flow.. ,also check first if the faucet filters are not clogged by dirt ...;)
Can I thank both for your replies, they were MUCH appreciated - I'm logical but useless at anything to do with plumbing.

Is it possible that eiiher of you could recommend someone to sort out the problem at a sensible price?

It doesn't sound like a big job, but still one where I wouldn't know where to start.

:oops:

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » April 20, 2018, 8:54 am

a simple check of the faucet filters will be hopefully enough, easy to do , unscrew the faucet filter from the tap ,
fe bathroom faucet
DSC00844 (Copy).JPG
kitchen faucet
DSC00845 (Copy).JPG
if you need a tool to remove because they are to tight , put them back hand tight only what is enough and easy to remove next time ...check if the water flow without the filters is back to normal , clean filters and put back
DSC00846 (Copy).JPG
if this not solve the problem it will be a suction or pump problem .... ;)

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 20, 2018, 9:54 am

We have the same problem in Phonsawan, Ban Tad but here the problem is fluctuations in the electricity supply, it affects the strength of our fans too so if your fans are slowing down too it may well be the same problem and if so there’s not much you can do about it.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » April 20, 2018, 4:07 pm

vincemunday wrote:
April 20, 2018, 9:54 am
We have the same problem in Phonsawan, Ban Tad but here the problem is fluctuations in the electricity supply, it affects the strength of our fans too so if your fans are slowing down too it may well be the same problem and if so there’s not much you can do about it.
We had same problem and light inside fridge was like blinking. Several other similar symptoms. Mens from electric company asked us to change meter to bigger one (costs a little bit more) and problem ended. Now, when hot and everyone using electricity very much, there can be low voltage periods.

I did not find full description to problem. Has it been always same or just recent problem? Filters could be solution, if recent, if always, I would check also water hoses coming to faucets and showers. Those are all about 16 mm diameter outside, but there inside is the actual hose and diameter varies from 5 mm to 12 mm. I did learn that by the hard/expensive way and had to replace some hoses. Symptom was water pump swithing on/off during shower or using toilet flush. Both caused by too small inner hose. Water flow of course was not good and variated.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 20, 2018, 10:06 pm

Owld Feller wrote:
April 19, 2018, 2:07 pm
I live on a small modern estate (about 10 years old) comprising of near identical detached bungalows.

Each has its water housed in an outside tank which then is pumped into the house as required.

My problem is that the water flow from the taps can vary dramatically and be low to say the least.

I could understand how it could vary if the pump was designed to fill the tank from the mains, where water pressure could come into play, but it isn't - it's after the tank on the house side.

To me, logic would suggest that with a full tank when a tap is turned on it should then always be pumped in at the same rate.

Any thoughts will be very gratefully received
The volume of water in the tank should make virtually no difference unless the tank is empty.

If you experience good flow, then poor flow then good flow again, without you doing anything to your system then the only variable will be the supply voltage.

If it is the supply voltage then you will need to provide evidence to the PEA that the voltage is really low for them to do something.

It is quite possible that the builder if your estate cut costs by providing substandard supply cables. This would not have been obvious immediately but as the estate has filled up and people have bought more electrical stuff it could be dropping the voltage really low. This would possibly give the symptoms you describe.

FWIW low voltage will drastically reduce the life of things with an electric motor.

It's also possible that the PEA have overloaded the phase you are on, which would cause the same problem.

Have you made a note of the times of day you have the problem? That could give some ideas about where the problem is coming from.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 21, 2018, 9:58 am

All good points, especially checking the aerators (strainers) on the ends of faucets. These used to be a throw-away item when replacements weren't available. It was a pain in the butt if a previous tenant had done that as the aerator function on the ends of faucets is all part and parcel of the properly pressurized closed water system... plus it streams water better rather than have it splattering like a cow pissing on a flat rock. HomePro stocks replacement aerators these days so imagine other hardware shops will have them as well.

Consider the age of any water pump when sussing out pressure issues. A rental I had used a cheaper Chinese pump and at around 6 years old, it needed replacing. Newer brands like Hitachi are a better choice in that replacement parts like impellers and valves are readily available versus Chinese imports.

Older plumbing jobs may also have low-quality galvanized pipe and fittings fittings and if the water conditioning isn't right, these narrow like a smokers arteries over the years. Most newer builds will have nearly 100% pvc pipe and fittings.

The PEA's power distribution around the city is mostly lamentable. Maybe newer developments have better supply voltage stability but the older ones and the local moobahns have low voltage issues most evenings. Good luck in getting any issues resolved though. Our moobhan has had low power between 6 and 8 pm for over 12 years and when sufficient levels of complaints are made, their 'techs' come and measure the daytime voltage and say it's all OK.

Note that there's a lot of work going on around Meuang Udon Thani with new water pipes being laid so if not already installed, I would recommend installing a filter on the city water main input side as soon as possible to prevent pump blockages or getting some serious build up of dirt on the pressurized house-side of the system.

Owld Feller
udonmap.com

Post by Owld Feller » April 23, 2018, 3:14 pm

Many thanks to kopkei for his reply but following that (as sod's law dictates) our pump also packed up!

Anyway, on Saturday, my other half asked if one of the security guards on our estate could recommend anyone to sort our problem out and then acted upon his recommendation when we returned from my visa run yesterday lunchtime.

An appointment was made for this morning and someone turned up and told me that the pump needed a new cable.

Later, after obtaining same (and having been given a fixed price for supplying/installing that and sorting out the filters) he returned and when he appeared to have a problem of some sort another two arrived to help him out.

Now, everything is working better than it ever did and so cannot recommend their service highly enough!

Unfortunately, I don't have the name of the business but it is VERY easy to find, as it's next door to the 7/11 between the airport turn off and the ring road.

Highly professional and sensibly priced - everything, including the new cable, came to 950 THB.

Owld Feller
udonmap.com

Post by Owld Feller » April 25, 2018, 7:31 pm

An update. The name of the firm is ARAM Electric and Water - owner AMORN, 089 841 6678 & 081 695 6153.

Return to “House & Land”