Gardening & Landscaping

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: Gardening & Landscaping

Post by Khun Paul » January 21, 2022, 9:04 am

Rain came and stopped as I write, just enough to mean I not water today and to dampen the grass , soil penetration minimal , if we have sun today most of the gain will be lost in evaporation .
But the AIR is certainly cleaner and the plants look refreshed

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » February 10, 2022, 9:21 am

Some good pumpkins at the moment and alway lady fingers for the market. All organic.
Pumpkin soup on the menu at home again.
Neighbour’s also get a share. They provided us corn yesty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » February 17, 2022, 8:18 am

Out and about early again this morning just after 6 and weather at the moment has assisted with the nurturing and propagation of the garden.
Hot house is doing its job for wifeys delicate plant growth. She has a number of mother plants and grows the young ones for sale at the market with her girlfriend. Some are quite expensive.
Our 4 variety of tomato seedlings experiment is going very well.
New very large lime tree variety is bearing fruit. Always have a double shot of squeezed pure lime juice each morning and most times 2 limes used with a dash of water and now
barely need a half lime with the larger type.
First time Corn and Kale experiment on track, photo attached .
Rest of the garden greened up and now flowers on the hedges appearing along with the bonus of their fragrance.
Mangoes and other fruits ticking along well.
Bananas naturally no problem to grow.
If other UM gardening gurus have tips or photos on various plant growth it’s always welcome advice. It is difficult to grow seasonal items in UT by having to pick the correct time season to plant. Weather is difficult here to predict. Not using any chemicals can make it difficult. Not all plants make it to maturity. It’s always an experiment when it’s more of a hobby.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » March 3, 2022, 6:47 pm

Doing the rounds in the garden and finished the bamboo rack for the tomatoes.
They are ready for transplanting now.
You can see the difference a short time makes for plant growth.
Difference in the previous posts photos showing growth of the small experimental Kale and Corn plot and also the tomatoes from seed are growing well in height to be moved.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » March 3, 2022, 10:13 pm

I find a lot of veg stop growing once the hot weather comes (35 Centigrade plus, and warm nights). This year has been cooler and the Beetroot were biggest yet in 10 years (varies between die as seedlings, or die just as the roots start swelling, this year have some over 5cm diameter). Carrots also some ready; do not die as long as well watered BUT grow beards by April! Cabbage first time i have got heads on (although small). My cherry tomatoes have been doing well for about 2 weeks, but a lot of maggots inside. Tomatoes i find die in April. Snake beans have cropped really well for the last month, fading a bit. Dwarf french beans mainly over. Swiss chard doing really well, but take a long time to establish and many seedlings die in the first month. Lettuce and rocket doing fine.
Once i clear my beds of the 'winter' veg i will grow Okra.

Sorry no photos.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 4, 2022, 8:29 am

Although I did enjoy pottering around a very small veg garden in the uk as well as Fruit bushes etc, here with the preponderance of BUGS of all sorts being far greater than in the UK plus the need to water often copiously daily and arranging cover and shade etc, easier, less stressful to purchase same from GOOD shops .

Enjoy my pottering renovating the garden and its flowers, trying to outdo the destructive nature of the bugs here in eating everything both above the ground and below it, as tree which bore oranges suddenly upped and died for reasons that must be buried deep below the surface, gardening here can be soul destroying I must say .

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » March 4, 2022, 5:03 pm

Agree that growing food here is more challenging. I do it organically because not keen on using poisons. Do it for exercise and a challenge, sadly making a profit is hard! Probably why locals.grow mainly highly aromatic plants, but rarely suit a western taste.
As for safety, having been told about one woman who sprayed her vegetables the day before picking, so that there were no bugs when she took it to market. I know mine are safe.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » March 6, 2022, 9:37 am

Your doing well rick.
My missus is the mainstay of our property so I can’t take credit.
I’m just an innocent bystander. But I like the exercise and it’s a good reason to get out and about early each morning and evening.
Its all an experiment and I’m just transplanting my tomatoes into bags under the bamboo rack, the natural soil Is difficult being hard. We will soon see the results though.
We to don’t spray poison either. But there are organic items to be mixed that are sprayed from the backpack.
I am learning all the time, good luck with the okra. They always grow in abundance.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » March 6, 2022, 10:44 pm

My beetroot
20220305_183135_mfnr.jpg

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 7, 2022, 7:09 am

Impressive .well done

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 23, 2022, 10:43 am

Good but hot morning pottering about watering the trees, must be nearly 2000 ltrs over each 2 or 3 day period.
Small cherry tomatoes thriving and the 2 larger varieties coming along.
Giant limes and normal limes coming along as well.
Banana varieties are going gang busters, so the neighbours will get a share.
Hard yakka with the missus away.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » April 25, 2022, 9:55 am

well done on the tomatoes, mine always die in April, pulled up a couple today and no fruit for about a week. Swiss chard still going strong, carrots and beetroot also dying off. Okra now growing well - good job, because the well is dry and watering by the can tough!

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 25, 2022, 10:40 am

Rick
It is a struggle and a few years of trying some times gets a result.
It’s a good past time watching something grow.
I don’t envy you watering by hand. Stronger will then me. With the missus now away for a few weeks I can only try my best. She is the real fine tuner of the plants and trees with a green thumb.
With the recent wind and heavy rain and now 37, 38 degrees for the next few days it is hard. I had to race out and tie them up with red rope after the storm.
This coming period will test the tomatoes for sure.
I have this year gone to planting tomato seeds then the bro into purpose filled bags of composted soil and a bit of manure. Seems to be a better method and now producing. Our natural soil is not the best.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 30, 2022, 3:01 pm

Every few years, we'll get a bloom from the elephant foot yam plants that grow wild in a far corner of our yard. The bloom is from the same family as the giant and rare Amorphophallus titanum that produces huge flowers that smell like well-rotted corpses. The elephant foot yam flowers are only a fraction of the height, but can produce an especially foul smell that lasts only a day. The flower in the photo is probably a day or two from opening.

http://www.haec06.doae.go.th/news/%E0%B ... %8D%20.pdf
Attachments
20220530_123532.jpg
20220530_123524.jpg

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 3, 2022, 11:35 am

More than 10 years ago when the Udon-Nongbualamphu highway was being widened just before entering Nongbualamphu, there were piles of rocks from the construction available on the side of the road. My gardener, his son, and I managed to get several truck loads of bigger rocks for landscaping. It took several years for nature to take its course with the rocks........a variety of lichen, including the 'flame' variety that just appeared this year on one rock. My favorite is the version of Mt. Everest with the Sherpa snail blazing a path up the mountain. One rock naturally split after being in the yard for several years......now I get to see the chasm widen each time I pass by.
Oh, the joys of being retired in Thailand.
Finally, someone turned on the light inside the elephant foot yam (pseudo corpse) flower
Attachments
20220603_094902 (1).jpg
20220603_104839.jpg
20220603_104839.jpg (24.43 KiB) Viewed 3460 times
20220603_111144.jpg
20220603_111144.jpg (32.07 KiB) Viewed 3460 times
20220603_075804.jpg
20220603_111040.jpg

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 4, 2022, 2:51 pm

This siamese blue crested lizard (Calotes goetzi กิ้งก่าหัวสีฟ้า) spotted today on our tamarind tree as we were going out to lunch.
Attachments
20220604_110159.jpg

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » July 10, 2022, 11:14 pm

Test
Attachments
10 Garden at Soi 4 03 April 2019 (1).jpg
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » July 11, 2022, 7:43 am

parrot wrote:This siamese blue crested lizard (Calotes goetzi กิ้งก่าหัวสีฟ้า) spotted today on our tamarind tree as we were going out to lunch.
Thanks for the name parrot.
Snapped this one on the hellfire pass walkway Kanchanburi a few days ago. Had to enhance the photo a bit as it was in a shaded area.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » July 11, 2022, 6:17 pm

Planted half a dozen Jacaranda trees back in Dec 2021, they were about 2.5 meter high at the time. All have taken and some are showing early signs of flowering (those more in the direct sun) and other in semi shade are taking longer to bloom.

Probably going to be a five year wait, until all are in some purple flowering [-o<

000 Jacaranda Trees in Nursery.jpg

Jacaranda trees 11 July 2022 B  (1).jpg

Jacaranda trees 11 July 2022 B  (3).jpg

Jacaranda trees 11 July 2022 A (2a).jpg

Jacaranda trees 11 July 2022 D  (2).jpg

Jacaranda trees 11 July 2022 E (3a).jpg

pipoz4444

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » July 11, 2022, 6:26 pm

Bougainvillea is doing a lot better (flowering) but then, that was to be expected \:D/ \:D/

Bougainvillea (1).jpg
pipoz4444

Return to “House & Land”