Solar storage batteries for home use.

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
glalt
udonmap.com

Solar storage batteries for home use.

Post by glalt » June 29, 2021, 2:46 pm

My first batteries were expensive AGM. I spent the extra money for these because I kept them in the house. They ran my computer and router. I was using four of those 60 AH AGM batteries. All my systems are wired 12 volt. About the same time, I built another system at an off grid farm. That system was powered with two 125 AH FB deep cycle batteries. They had an easy life because we rarely used that system. The AGM batteries in the house downgraded way faster than I had thought. I then swapped the weak AGM batteries for the FB batteries. I put the FB batteries outside. With that swap everything was working much better. Then having solar fever I built a bigger system and bought four 3K T-105 6 volt golf cart batteries. They have been a pain since I bought them. For some reason the terminals corrode quickly and they need water way more often than the FB brand. The FB batteries did a great job but finally gave up. I replaced them with two 150AH Globatt Extreme Plus batteries. Less than two weeks later the golf cart batteries died. I now have ordered two Newmax made in South Korea 200 AH gel batteries. The supplier highly recommended that brand even over the Globatt Extreme Plus. For me, no more 3K batteries and no more 6 volt batteries and no more AGM type. My batteries lasted nearly 10 years so I guess I shouldn't complain. I paid about $1,200 US for the four new batteries. Painful but if they last nearly ten years, I will feel like they are decent value.

As a side note, My GAIA inverters and MPPT EP Solar charge controllers have been flawless for all these years. Also the sun doesn't shine every day so I have double the recommended number of solar panels that fully charge the batteries even on rainy cloudy days.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: Solar storage batteries for home use.

Post by Whistler » June 29, 2021, 3:48 pm

Suggestion, coat your battery terminals with Vaseline (you may find some in the bedroom). It will help with corrosion issues.

It would be helpful if you could show prices of the various items to give us non-initiated amateurs some idea of total costing.

Cheers
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 29, 2021, 7:09 pm

Globatt Extreme Plus 150 AH battery about 8,500 baht
Newmax gel 2,000 AH about 9,800 baht
decent MPPT charge controller about 3,500 baht
1,500 watt pure sine wave inverter about 4,500 baht
Solar panel about 5,000 baht each

Of course you can pay more or less.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 29, 2021, 8:27 pm

Thanks, that is helpful
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » July 29, 2021, 10:08 am

As a side note, the two Newmax sealed batteries discharge less overnight that the four 6 volt golf cart batteries did when new, besides being totally maintenance free. The golf cart batteries were connected in series/parallel and were 450 AH at 12 volts. The two 200 AH Newmax batteries are rated at 1,600 cycles discharged at 40 percent. The two 150 AH Globatt Extreme batteries are also working very well. We live and learn.

Return to “House & Land”