Flying insect nest

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Flying insect nest

Post by Potamoi » July 9, 2022, 4:28 pm

I'm not sure about which variety of insect this nest is. I just saw it today about half way between my front door and carport. I live in a muban near the airport, not in a rural area if that helps.

Can anyone ID this nest and/or suggest a solution to remove it please. It's about 5-6 meters up in the tree.
Insect.jpg
Thanks for any suggestions or an ID of which variety (wasp, hornet, bee or?)

I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Flying insect nest

Post by tamada » July 9, 2022, 4:38 pm

Bees. PM sent.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 9, 2022, 4:49 pm

Can't tell from your photo if they're exactly the same, but I'll assume they're the same as in the attached photo. We get them most every year and most of the time in our santol trees. In a few years, our gardener and a friend were able to smoke out the bees and recover the honey. But this year, the hive was far too high.......the bees finally left and the empty hive fell to the ground.
A few things we've learned: the bees are attracted to nearby light at night.......so a carport light probably wouldn't be a good idea. Second, if the bees are spooked, they'll attack. If you want to get rid of the hive, I'd try to find a neighbor who knows what he's doing.
Attachments
20170127_143854.jpg

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » July 9, 2022, 5:26 pm

Thanks Tam and Parrot.

Since they are likely bees I will try to find someone to smoke and remove the hive/honey rather than murder them.

Hive looks to be about 60-75cm x 25-40cm I guess. Sorry for the crap photos.
bees.jpg
And Parrot I do have a light on near the front door at night for the last 12 years. Could be a contributing factor for attraction to this location. Thanks for the info.

Man, I'll bet eating the honey from that would help with seasonal allergies since it is very localised.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » July 9, 2022, 6:53 pm

Even if they aren't bees and you find they are wasps many locals would be happy to remove the nest as the wasp larve are a tasty treat as well. From the photo they do look like bees though. Good luck.

Potamoi
udonmap.com

Post by Potamoi » July 11, 2022, 2:14 pm

A helpful UMer came round with a local expert in bee relocation today. During the pre job safety meeting, we decided to move the pickup out of the carport to allow an unobstructed panic pathway out.

The risk assessment also dictated us to tell any neighbours I care for to close windows and go indoors. Lastly, the exposure mitigation plan determined that us falongs should stay inside the workshop until the all clear was sounded.
bees2.jpg
Suited up with a crash helmet and screen, gloves and thick clothing. He was armed with smoking pot of husks and a 5 gallon bucket then proceeded to remove the queen from the hive along with a kilo or so of tasty treats.

From my cowering, air conditioned, walled and windowed vantage point, thousands of bees were swarming above my house rooftop while he worked. From my hiding place I could not see him work but slowly the swarming lessoned as our fearless hero descended the ladder.

The whole procedure took less than one beer for us lily-livered observers.

He advised it would take a couple of days for the bees to wander off and find a new colony.
I got some wife points by keeping a little of the honeycomb.
honey.jpg
Thank you masked man, whoever you are!

EDIT: It took about a week for the bees to fully vacate. Seems they don't like moving in the rain.
Last edited by Potamoi on July 24, 2022, 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benjamin Franklin

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 11, 2022, 2:20 pm

OSHA would be proud!

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 12, 2022, 4:03 am

Fascinating, and everyone, in particular, the Queen and her drones, survived. Excellent job
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Potamoi
udonmap.com

Post by Potamoi » July 24, 2022, 6:05 pm

Yesterday while I was removing my lawn mower from a storage shed, I felt a sharp pain on my head. I actually thought I came up under a nail in the shed. I then felt sharp stings all over my back and limbs. Understanding it was another flying insect, I exited the area, tore off my shirt and ran in the house for a hot shower.

Turns out these are fairly dangerous wasps or hornets. I wasn't feeling well. BP was high. The wife and neighbour were not home so I did what any sane man would do and head to the pub where at least others were around in case I crashed.

An hour or two of water, a full-on red sugar Coke and a handful of Tylenol and I began to feel better. My next plan was to read up on how to get rid of these unholy bastards. I'm guessing the big storm we had the other day knocked the nest out from the tree landing on my shed. These are NOT honey bees so I have no qualms about obliterating the lot of them.
Wasp.jpg
Many products out there for wasp and hornet sprays but none in the 6 shops I checked. I bought like 8 cans of every other one and a spray bottle. My first attempt was to mix liquid dish soap with water as it seems the soap gets in their pores and they drop out of the sky (YouTube knowledge base). At dusk I put on my safety glasses, mask, hat, long sleeves and Levis. I mapped out my escape route. I staged cans of chemical bug spray every few meters and assaulted them with the water mixture while they were fairly docile. I soaked them pretty well but did not poke a hole in the nest. It was getting dark so I figured I would know if it worked by morning.

Daybreak came and I saw normal wasp activity. Damn. Plan B, I guess. I donned my PPE and hit them with two different sprays (the kind with the straws for longer range). I double sprayed for over half of each can watching the wasps pour out of the nest and depart 180 degrees from the spray. I left enough spray in the cans so I could ward off these angry buggers if they tried to swarm up on me during my egress.

12 hours later and there are still some of these resilient monsters flying about. I thought about getting the pressure washer with a soap attachment and hitting the nest from a distance (while standing right next to my unlocked back door). This has its own risks and I wasn't convinced the soap I use here has the same grease cutting formula as the Dawn brand the YouTuber used.

Naw, time for the professionals so the wife called our termite pest control company they advised calling call government or Sawangmetha foundation on Monday during office hours.

If anyone knows of a number to call to deal with this properly and safely it would be welcome.

Still feeling a bit off, itchy and swollen >30 hours after the stings, Counted 7 sting locations. Not like any insect I have ever been bitten or stung by for sure. I will update with an edit tomorrow if we find who to call.
Last edited by Potamoi on July 25, 2022, 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Benjamin Franklin

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 24, 2022, 7:15 pm

My gardener and I have dealt with these a few times. We use the cans of termite spray with the long skinny nozzle (chaindrite, I believe). Wait until it's sufficiently dark. Plan your escape route. Cover up as best you can. Go in and spray as much as you can. Retreat. Go in and spray again.
It's worked for us with these hornets and other bad guys. Never stung getting rid of them.

Potamoi
udonmap.com

Post by Potamoi » July 24, 2022, 10:06 pm

parrot wrote:
July 24, 2022, 7:15 pm
My gardener and I have dealt with these a few times. We use the cans of termite spray with the long skinny nozzle (chaindrite, I believe).
No fliers this eve at dusk so my first spray session may have helped. Will hit them again at dawn, wait a day and if no fliers observed, blast the nest away with my power washer. Then I will put up a paper bag decoy or two around the house for prevention of any would be intruders. Thanks for the tip Parrot.

EDIT: Fliers again this morning so the wife called 199. They sent a team over to assess. Called the hornets "dhor" and I should buy a can J&J Baygon. Not the white on green can but rather the solid green can (the one that smells like DDT). They will be back at 19:00 to spray, bag and remove the nest. The crew said please don't spray by myself. They will not charge money so safer they do it. Sounds good to me.
Benjamin Franklin

Potamoi
udonmap.com

Post by Potamoi » July 25, 2022, 9:20 pm

Hornet Episode 3

Okay, as planned, the 199 medics came with a crew of 5 at about 19:00. They grabbed my green can of Baygon but it seems it was for backup strays. They brought a LPG tank, a long pipe torch attachment and a great can-do attitude.
Hornet199.jpg
They asked for a short ladder and that I switch off all outdoor lights. I complied and made my hastened exit to the safety of my house.

The solar screens outside all of my windows made for crappy video but I think you will get the idea:

https://youtu.be/JoAW4yrm5pk

No PPE, no trousers, no sleeves but they seemed to understand the risks fairly well.

Beers all 'round and a thank you is all they wanted but I felt a little tip was appropriate. Marvelous group of fellas. Hats off!

Tomorrow I will tidy up and make some hive decoys although I think the beelzebub bastards just liked the fallen mangos.
Benjamin Franklin

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » August 11, 2022, 7:02 pm

There are insects, then there are insects.
Attachments
Grasshopper.jpg

Return to “House & Land”