Skimming walls

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
Earnest
udonmap.com

Skimming walls

Post by Earnest » January 15, 2023, 2:49 am

Has anyone successfully skimmed walls before?

This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

timmy
udonmap.com

Re: Skimming walls

Post by timmy » January 15, 2023, 6:22 am

to answer your question , YES many thousand both with Carlite Thistle on Plaster Boards and Carlite Finish on Browning backing coat ,on any unstable or poor quality walls best to use Carlite Bonding instead of Browning all my family are Master Plasterers .

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » January 15, 2023, 11:05 pm

Thank you, Timmy. I'm practicing on one small wall but I find the technique difficult. I put a scratch coat (?) on then the next thinner coat but I'm not sure of the time to wait in between. Lastly, spray the coat with water and smooth but again, not sure of the time to leave between activities.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » January 16, 2023, 6:20 am

when we were working in England ( English weather an temps ) you would backing coat 1 day then skim the next , the scratch coat needs to be hard but NOT dry , have you found or borrowed a used " skimming trowel , as you can never get a smooth wall with a new trowel , the trowel corners are much to sharp ..

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » January 16, 2023, 7:05 am

I'm using a new trowel.

Return to “House & Land”