Door Frame replacement

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
deankham
udonmap.com

Door Frame replacement

Post by deankham » April 9, 2023, 7:03 pm

Hi All,

Looking for advice before getting Somchai to make some home repairs.

We have 3 wooden door frames that were partially eaten by termites (termite problem resolved almost 2 years ago and never returned with us spaying every 6 months).
One is the front door so open to outside
One is internal bedroom door
One is internal bathroom door.

Few questions from a layman

1. Is it possible to replace the door frames without damaging the ceramic tiles floor? We need to replace the ceramic tiles anyway so deciding which order to do the work. Door frames first or floor first?

2. Should I use wooden frames again or go with PVC, UPVC or Fiber-Cement? The bathroom frame does have some blackening at the bottom from moisture, so as a minimum thinking not to use wood for this one.

3. Should I assume the doors will be reusable or better to plan to change frames and doors? Doors do seem to be free from termites but they are the cheapest ones the house builder could find so not concerned about spending some money to update them.

Thanks

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Re: Door Frame replacement

Post by Stantheman » April 9, 2023, 7:46 pm

My thoughts,
1. Do door frames first, that way can avoid possible gaps between frames and flooring.
2. Personally I would use something besides wood if possible, even with spraying termites may return. What used depends on availability.
3. For best fit l would replace frames and doors

deankham
udonmap.com

Re: Door Frame replacement

Post by deankham » April 9, 2023, 9:22 pm

Thanks Stan.

Must admit not a huge fan of the PVC frames and doors I've seen fitted to bathrooms before as seem quite flimsy. Unless going for a heavier duty one.

Return to “House & Land”