Cleaning Pond Water

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Cleaning Pond Water

Post by Kudjap or Bust » July 26, 2007, 8:01 am

We have a pond in our rear garden, approx 12M x 8M, and the water is a coffee brown.has been for some time, there is fish in it, goldfish mainly. I want to clean the water and add a filtration system.
I have built a filter system, I did exactly the same in the UK and it works fine, but it won't clean the water.
Is it better to drain the pond and start over or is there some miracle potion I can add to the water to clean it..

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » July 26, 2007, 8:37 am

I too would be intersted in this answer as my (much smaller) pond (2m x 1m) is getting greener and greener and I also wondered if there was a magic potion to add to the water to clean it up ?

Kudjap - Thats not a pond, its a lake !!! :) 12 metres long - wow!

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » July 26, 2007, 8:44 am

No Paul the lake is on the other side, its 40M X 27m.................Now thats pretty clean, have no clue why the small one is so dirty..... I do know the bigger one is fed by a natural underground spring, perhaps that's the reason......

Seaserpent
udonmap.com

Post by Seaserpent » July 26, 2007, 9:47 am

If your pond has no circulation and no shade it will turn green very quick. So shade and circulation of the water will do the job, remember inlets and outlets placed so you get a water current and get the water to drift around the pond.... It might be hard since you have quite a pond.

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » July 26, 2007, 11:21 am

Seaserpent, we already tried circulating the water but it didn't make any difference to the colour of it, just moved it round a whole lot, got the fish a little giddy too I think..........lol We left it circulating, by use of a pump for 2 days continuous......

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » July 26, 2007, 4:00 pm

Coffee coloured water....is it a natural pond ?if so it maybe the mud/earth around the edges or bottom and/or a mixture of dead leaves/algea on the bottom, i have man made from concrete, now and again have a green problem i brought something from the fish place on wattana nuwong road an additive for the water, seemed to work for a while, a few years back sorry don't remember the name, UV filter may be the way to go on the green water problem and circulation(fountain/water fall), try a partial water change on the smaller ponds, and don't over feed the fish, shade is good.
my pond gets emptied and cleaned every 2 years. i don't have a bio-filter system. :(

panick
udonmap.com

Post by panick » July 26, 2007, 4:27 pm

Have a read thru this.....the bottom half deals with muddy waters caused by suspended clay particles :-k

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/Fis ... /muddy.htm

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 16, 2007, 4:24 am

Panick!!

Great link.. That gives me some ideas for my two 10X20 meter ponds that both are quite cloudy, probably due to clay suspensions in the water.
Dave

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » October 10, 2007, 11:18 pm

Did you say "goldfish"?

These are notoriously dirty fish. The tear up plants and stir up the sediment. Gold fish can grow to be large, beautiful fish, but if they are in anything but a sterile concrete pond, they are a real mess. I would not be surprised if you find that the problem does not clear itself up until you remove (or kill) all of the goldfish.

Then again, is brown water all that bad if you know that there are healthy fish thriving beneath its surface?

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » October 11, 2007, 7:31 am

Most of them are indeed Goldfish and I don't know if they were thriving as we couldn't see them very well, also every morning and evening we saw them on the surface, well we saw their mouths anyway, looked like they were gasping for breath, yeah I know they don't breath as we do but thats what it looked like.

We actually pumped the water out, kept the goldfish in a neighbours pond, he had an empty pond after a fish BBQ fest, the non goldfish were put in our big pond, we've let the recent rain refill the pond and the water is still the same colour, so back to square one. The goldfish were a little pale in colour, thats for sure.

I guess brown water isn't bad but we want to make a feature out of the pond when we relandscape the ground in this area (when it stops raining), its about 6m outside our bedroom, we've just had double glass doors fitted in the bedroom and new patio laid so we can sit outside.

Was considering adding a waterfall to the pond for oxygenation but as I posted earlier we left a pump turning the water round for 2 days but it made no difference.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » October 11, 2007, 9:12 am

Kudjap, we have a small tub type pond, and I have been reading up on this recently through Google.

If the fish gasp at the surface that is a sign of lack of oxygen in the water, and suggested causes/solutions include:-

- the pond is getting too much sun, which reduces the oxygen the water can hold, - provide more shade and/or use a pump to aerate the water (or a waterfall would do that) and don't have too many fish in it.

Our water is clear, so sorry, I haven't researched that one.

Good Luck.

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » October 11, 2007, 9:28 am

Thanx arjay, our neighbour also said the pond had too much sun and there's not enough oxygen, I wondered though why the other pond, the larger one, isn't suffering the same. I will get a pump or put in a waterfall to keep it aerated when we relandscape. I guess I can get a decent pump in any of the big stores....

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » October 11, 2007, 11:10 am

I moved our "pond" round the back of the house, (it's like a big flower tub) where it gets much less sun. That seemed to work well and the pond plants still flower Ok.

One of the fish had babies the other day and the GF was running around really excited like she had had a baby herself!!! :roll: :lol:

As long as it keeps them happy, eh!! :roll: :lol:

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » October 11, 2007, 4:20 pm

Brown water and ornamental fish don't go well as you can't see them,i know its a big pond(12x8) but have you thought about starting again and lining it out in a good pvc pond liner, will almost certainly cure the muddy water problem.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Astana
udonmap.com

Post by Astana » October 11, 2007, 5:31 pm

If the opportunity presents itself to empty the pond again and your not inclined to line the bottom, take some of the sediment out (good for garden - a good 3-6 inches), and then cover the fresh soil with a sprinkling of lime powder, this destroys the majority of bacterial forms, the good stuff will remain unaffected.

Once the pond has been refilled (a pump with small solar panel is superb for this) will put plenty of oxygen into the ponds bio-cycle and the fish won't be gasping like a raspberry dangler at beer drinking time in the late afternoon.

This should leave your pond in better shape and reasonably clear, adding a few lily pad type vegetation will allow the fish to hide and spawn. After a couple of days the water should be tested for its Ph level, this should be done before emptying and then directly after filling, and then a couple of weeks after that to give a comparison and shed a bit of light on what's happening under the water. 8)

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » October 11, 2007, 6:00 pm

yes Lilys are excellent shade for the fish and water and grow fast too, but don't plant the baskets in too deep water add some oxygenators and floating plants this should help and are a good food source for the fish too.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » October 11, 2007, 6:42 pm

beer monkey wrote:Brown water and ornamental fish don't go well as you can't see them,i know its a big pond(12x8) but have you thought about starting again and lining it out in a good pvc pond liner, will almost certainly cure the muddy water problem.
BM - For sure liner, or concreting walls and base is on the agenda when we relandscape and add a waterfall. The TW went out today and come home with some plants for both ponds, they do look a little like lily pads but one set has red flowers the other she calls the Queens flower... We got a bloody Tuk Tuk full of them turn up....................

Asana, Regarding a solar powered pump, any idea how to calculate what size I'd need to aerate a 12x8 pond....? I'm sure I can get on on eBay

Astana
udonmap.com

Post by Astana » October 12, 2007, 11:45 am

If we work backwards I'd say that a 1/2 HP Solar Slow Pump 12V is the maximum you would require (not cheap at 650 USD), this type of Solar Slowpump Pushes water as high as 450 vertical feet, the Slowpump runs on very low power, with or without batteries, to supply between 200 and 2600 gallons per day.

You would require for your pond between 25 gallons (a large type fountain pump), through to 150-200 gallons per day if you have fish (approx 100-250 USD depending manufacturer, probably get something second-hand on eBay cheaper).

What's good about this type of pump:

This type of pump is easy to use and eases the strain on your solar electric system by pumping at low currents throughout the day. The vane pump mechanism housed in forged brass (must have) will last for years of all-day running.

Filtration is very important to protect this type of pump and of course very helpful for your ponds water quality. For PV-direct (non-battery) array watts must exceed pump watts by 20% or more, and a current booster controller is required.

Hopes this helps.
8)

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » October 12, 2007, 12:41 pm

certainly does - thanx a lot... time to eBay again I think............

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » October 13, 2007, 7:45 am

TW had a local guy take a look at the pond water, he's a local fish expert so I am told, he took a bottle full of the water and told TW to leave it overnight, if the top half of the water clears then its the fish doing the damage, if it stays the same then empty the pond straight away and refill. Hey ho it stayed the same.....He also said, as mentioned above, if we need to refill add a pump to aerate.

Oh and he says these are not Goldfish but Koi Carp, he actually went home and came back with a book written in English to show me what they were.... He asked if he could have a couple of them, my reply was get the water looking good and OK, there's around 40 of the buggers....

Return to “House & Land”