Wood Rot

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
parrot
udonmap.com

Wood Rot

Post by parrot » September 8, 2007, 4:54 pm

A lower portion of an outdoor door frame has wood rot. Back in the US, I was able to buy a product that "killed the rot" and filled in the damaged area. I can't find such a product here. Anyone have any suggestions on how to repair the problem? At this stage, only about 3-4" of wood from the ground level up is affected.

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » September 10, 2007, 7:56 am

cut the section away and replace it with a new piece is the best thing you can do when you install it do not make it touch the floor keep above the floor about 1/2 inch and fill the void with caulking
treat the wood with wood life or a product that equal or better than that be genorouis with it but wear rubber gloves you dont want that soaking in to your skin wait a few days before you paint it
if you can find lin seed oil is very good to treat wood but you have to use oil base paint when you paint it I am sure you can find the product the problems I find is in communcating with the people
also if possible use screws instead of nails make life a lot easier when you have to remove it just counter sink the screw heads and fill them before painting

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 10, 2007, 12:54 pm

Thanks for the tip. Have you ever bought wood life in Udon?

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » September 10, 2007, 6:50 pm

no I have not had a reason to buy it
I was a carpenter in the USA
if I was to look for a product like wood life I would start in tool pro and work my way around all the home imp. stores if I did not find it in tool pro try any paint shop or paint dept in stores
and if you find it let me know I might need it in the future good luck

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » September 10, 2007, 6:51 pm

no I have not had a reason to buy it
I was a carpenter in the USA
if I was to look for a product like wood life I would start in tool pro and work my way around all the home imp. stores if I did not find it in tool pro try any paint shop or paint dept in stores
and if you find it let me know I might need it in the future good luck

Return to “House & Land”