Electric motor rewinding

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
Mobaan
udonmap.com

Electric motor rewinding

Post by Mobaan » October 20, 2007, 8:29 am

For over 2 years I have been looking to buy a decent tablesaw in Udon . Sure there are 72000 Baht models at Toolpro-but who would be crazy enough to buy a $ 300 piece of equipment for that money -not me!
Tired of looking -I am bringing on my next trip a small tablesaw form the US -knowing full and well that the electric motor will not work with 220 Volt.
$60.000 question:
Where in Udon (Thailand ) can I get a motor rewound /rebuild /changed over ( whatever the correct term is ) to work with 220 Volt.
Any hints /suggestions etc are welcome.

robytoby1960
udonmap.com

Post by robytoby1960 » October 20, 2007, 1:14 pm

Rewinding has to be done very carefully,otherwise it will never run again! Why don't you buy a cheap 220/110 Volt Transformer,at a big store or in the road where all the alectric machine suppliers have their shops! Your motor has a 1000 Watt (for ex.) power cons? So buy at least 1200 Watt Transformer (about 6 Amps on the 220 Volt side and 12 at the other

robytoby1960
udonmap.com

Post by robytoby1960 » October 20, 2007, 1:19 pm

Electriciens gather near fountain circle and clock tower

robytoby1960
udonmap.com

Post by robytoby1960 » October 20, 2007, 1:22 pm

And AMON Electronics first floor Big C near the motorbike Parking(little more professional)

kevh
udonmap.com

Post by kevh » October 20, 2007, 4:45 pm

Totally agree buy a transformer.

Cheap and simple

Kev

Franco
udonmap.com

Post by Franco » October 20, 2007, 5:17 pm

Maybe I'm talking out of my A**s here,

Are sure about that price, I bought Table mounted angle saw from Tool-Pro about 6months ago, 6500 bht, I' not sure how many watts, but very powerful and cut through Hard wood like butter, I'm not in Udon at the mo, so cant give u any more spec. I use it to cut picture frames and I would call it Heavy Duty, no plastic. I bought a different blade with finer teeth. Think its a Maquita. I guess it depends on what you want to cut, how thick etc.

Need to buy a seperate table, mine is secured with four half inch bolts. I've found the Electrical tools very cheap in that shop compared with UK prices, except for some reason Lawn Mowers.

joey
udonmap.com

Post by joey » October 20, 2007, 11:06 pm

Do not forget to concern about different frequency between USA and Thailand eventhough you can step down voltage to be 110VAC, different frequency may effect to speed and torque of the table saw but not too much, I think should not be more than 10% reducing.

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » October 29, 2007, 9:45 pm

Well, the lower frequency would result in a little higher magnetizing current, and therefore, the motor would run a little hotter. If you are running at a low duty cycle, it should not make any real difference.

Here's an idea: Sell your table saw in the U.S. and use the money to make the saw at Tool Pro seem less expensive.

After, a nice, new piece of equipment is more of a pleasure to operate. Besides, you might be talking about a really big (read that: expensive) transformer. Taking the proceeds from the sale of your old saw, the cost of bringing it to Thailand, and the cost of a step-down transformer, the new saw from Tool Pro may not seem expensive at all.

I've seen lots of motors being rewound in this country, but the process seems to start with counting the original number of turns. Its unlikely that these guys would know how to rewind for a different voltage. You would have to do the research yourself.

Return to “House & Land”