Family trip to Vientiane

Information & Travel
tamada
udonmap.com

Family trip to Vientiane

Post by tamada » August 30, 2008, 1:16 pm

I wish to take a couple of days in Vientiane with my wife, son and some family members. My wife (girlfriend at the time) visited a year last April so we know what's needed for visa (me, a Brit) and her (Thai passport).

However, we now have a 4 month-old son so wonder what documentation would be needed for him as he hasn't got his Thai ID card or UK passport yet but is in the Tibian Bhan.

The other 3 visitors will be mum-in-law, sis-in-law and the baby minder; all Thai adults so they will use their Thai ID cards.

Since this is a decent sized group, a minibus hire for the 2-3 days would probably be most comfortable and practical as we will be doing some shopping too.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a Udon-based tour or mini-bus operator that could do the transportation? The last time we used a tour operator from Vientiane as my buddy and I were doing the Mekhong Boogie skydive and that was the most efficient way and had the local accommodation bundled in. That may still be the cheaper option as I won't be needing to pay for room/board for a Udon mini-bus driver.

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

lee
udonmap.com

Re: Family trip to Vientiane

Post by lee » August 30, 2008, 1:27 pm

I know of one tour operator who is also a sponsor, their name is Kanika Tour and their website is here: http://www.kannikatour.net/eng/index.ph ... &Itemid=10

I haven't used them but have been advised they have extensive knowlege on tours in Laos and S.E. Asia. It may be worth contacting them for more information.

There are also many tour agents near the bridge in Nong Khai.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 15, 2008, 7:43 pm

Thanks for the tip Lee. I ended up using the same Thai tour company that I used for my last trip with the transport coming from Vientiane. They came over, picked us up at the house off the ring road and brought us back at the end. They handled the entry paperwork with none of us needing to show face apart from me to get my Lao visa and 'check-in' and same on the way back where they did the paperwork while we all raided the duty free shops. I brought back and dozen bottles of wine and couple of cases of Beer Lao so all set for Christmas. Stopped at the market in Nong Khai too on the way home. Airconditioned 8-seater Toyota minibus.

5 adults, 1 infant (free), 4-days, 3-nights accommodation (2 rooms) including breakfast and 4 city and local tours with bilingual guide for 800 bucks.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » September 16, 2008, 10:13 am

tamada wrote:Thanks for the tip Lee. I ended up using the same Thai tour company that I used for my last trip with the transport coming from Vientiane. They came over, picked us up at the house off the ring road and brought us back at the end. They handled the entry paperwork with none of us needing to show face apart from me to get my Lao visa and 'check-in' and same on the way back where they did the paperwork while we all raided the duty free shops. I brought back and dozen bottles of wine and couple of cases of Beer Lao so all set for Christmas. Stopped at the market in Nong Khai too on the way home. Airconditioned 8-seater Toyota minibus.

5 adults, 1 infant (free), 4-days, 3-nights accommodation (2 rooms) including breakfast and 4 city and local tours with bilingual guide for 800 bucks.
800 USD or 800 baht?

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » September 16, 2008, 12:02 pm

BKKSTAN wrote:800 USD or 800 baht?
If it's 800 baht for all that then I will go on tour every weekend LOL!

The visas alone cost 1,500 each so that's 7,500bt to start, accommodation 3 nights for 5 people, let's say 2 rooms @ 1,000 baht each would be 6,000bt for 3 nights. So that's 13,500bt which leaves 10,900 for 5 people (2,700 per day. 540 each) for the 4 day tour in an air-conditioned Toyota minibus, bilingual guide and picked up and dropped off at your home. Seems very reasonable to me.

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » September 16, 2008, 3:04 pm

Tamada, could you please post the contact details for this company. Thanks. :D

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » September 16, 2008, 5:31 pm

BKKSTAN wrote:800 USD or 800 baht?

Stan you are slowly getting the humor side of things...well done.Image
Can You Dig It Dug.?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 16, 2008, 9:23 pm

jingjai wrote:Tamada, could you please post the contact details for this company. Thanks. :D
Sure thing.

http://www.north-by-north-east.com/

I know the owner and you can see from the website, there's a whole lot more to his tour company than family junkets in Vientiane. I am interested in the 10-day cycling trip through Laos next, just need to get a decent bike for my 6' 4" frame. My buddy also used them for a splendid tour in Cambodia earlier this year.

Return to “Laos”