Regal Mega Mall City Laos

Information & Travel
lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » November 4, 2011, 11:36 am

In approximately 3 years Vientiane's first Mega Shopping Mall will open its doors to the public.

The mall will cover 20,000 sqm, 5 storeys and there will be retail space for over 1,000 shops. The mall will also host restaurants and food courts, a children’s play area, cinema complex and hypermarket.

The second phase of the project will focus on property development around the site which will include modern private residences for rent or sale.

The mall will be located in Sikhai Village, Vientiane.
regal-mega-mall-laos.JPG
Regal-Megamall-laos.jpg

http://www.regalmegamall.com

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » November 4, 2011, 12:45 pm

I don't think Udon has much to worry about, the town will still get lots of traffic from Laos.
Weekends the car parks at Tesco's, Makro and Big C have dozens of Lao cars in them.
Looking at the video the mall is targeting the affulent Lao and tourist, with associated sky high prices to pay for the expensive rents.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

qon
udonmap.com

Post by qon » November 4, 2011, 1:50 pm

HI
It looks good on print and video, if Chinese and local workmanship is to go by look at the new Tatlatsao mall, it is old and looking tired even before it opens for business. Mega mall, had some issue with false advertising already, by initially saying TESCO was going to be a tenant, as a draw card for their site. At $4000/m2 even a 3x3 $36,000.00 one would want at least 7-10% return or ~$300/month, on 30-30-30 formula the taking needs to be $2000/month or $500/week.
I wonder what sort of traffic is being mentioned. If you can get in as the 1st 500 buyers, they offer 50% discount, but I guess that discount is long gone even before the ads gets out.

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » November 4, 2011, 2:24 pm

Looks very ambitious indeed!Will be interesting to see the outcome.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » November 4, 2011, 3:47 pm

nkstan wrote:Looks very ambitious indeed!Will be interesting to see the outcome.
In approximately 3 years according to Lee's post Stan . We should be so lucky mate. :lol:
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 4, 2011, 6:57 pm

I lived up there for 5 years (02-07) and the Lao government always winged about how they were losing beaucoup tax revenue with all the Lao shoppers coming across to Thailand. Yet they never developed a friendly enough investment climate nor low enough import duties to lure Tesco, Big C, MAKRO or any other reasonably large mega store to open up across the Mekong. The demand from the populace was there, but it just never happened. Well, maybe now that the Chinese are into Lao as big as they are maybe we'll see WALMART migrate down from China!!!

even when they did find a compliant foreign partner some of the investments still baffle me.. The Water Park near the center of town for one.. A Maylaysian/Lao investment that no way could have ever paid off....

Now the KOLAO (Korean/Lao) developments seemed to have work with KOLAO (spun off Hyundai build kits) seem to have a decent foothold in small trucks and Hyundai vans but I don't know if any money is really being made..
Dave

qon
udonmap.com

Post by qon » November 4, 2011, 8:42 pm

Hello,
The Talatsao mall claims to have signed up BIG C, but BIG C policy is to match their own price at Nongkhai or Oudon. That will be good for Lao shoppers BUT to achieve that same price level, it would mean Lao gov. removing import taxes fro BIG C however that will be a clear breach and prejudice against normal retailers. I don't think the Lao people need big mega stores, they need caring Lao gov. policies to cut cost of living. Inflation is running 40%+ whilst the Lao gov. claims a low 20%. At least the prices in Thailand are stable enough. Other thing, there should be no reason why building materials should cost more than in Oudon or Nongkhai, there are TH 2xVATs, LA VAT 10%, import duties, it would be very good neighborly to work on how to reduce these costs. An increased Lao business is good business for TH.

On KOLAO, watch out independent car yards! KOLAO is stocking up on KOREAN trucks in a BIG WAY, they will use that stock to squeeze out the small players, at the same time getting rid of Korean Hyundai overstocked old trucks and vans as to sustain Hyundai production in new vehicles.

nabanga
udonmap.com

Post by nabanga » September 28, 2012, 5:00 pm

The Regal Mega Mall has folded before it got started and the investors left Laos. They were relying on getting lots of tenants paying in advance of building and that didn't happen.
Not surprising really - Vientiane needs a supermarket but not a large luxury mall. Most shop owners here can't even afford the rent in the new Talat Sao, never mind the Regal megamall

Lao-miner
udonmap.com

Post by Lao-miner » September 29, 2012, 5:38 am

Yep the royal mega mall is toast
they thought that as usual, just build some gigantic arches at the front of the property, then look for the investors , Didnt work , The new one is the world trade centre just around the corner from talat sao, constructions started, Theres plenty hiso lao,s but i wonder if theres enough people with enough disposable income to really warrent a complex of this size?

hermajesty
udonmap.com

Post by hermajesty » September 29, 2012, 7:55 am

This is slightly off topic, but because of the reference to "seeing laos plates" at the stores here in Udon.... can we drive across the border?? We have to go to V. for the first time to do a visa run in the next week or so. I thought we could not drive and needed to take a bus...??

HM

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » September 29, 2012, 9:20 am

hermajesty wrote:This is slightly off topic, but because of the reference to "seeing laos plates" at the stores here in Udon.... can we drive across the border?? We have to go to V. for the first time to do a visa run in the next week or so. I thought we could not drive and needed to take a bus...??

HM
You'll require a document akin to a passport for the car. If the car is financed or a rental I don't believe it can done. There's a thread on here (try search) with more details.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » September 29, 2012, 9:37 am

I would love to go to Laos more and shop, stock up on Coffee Dao and wine. I enjoy Vientiene, it's a nice break from Udon. What stops me is the added cost of the Laos visa, and the permit to travel from the immigration office.
I wonder if it will be easier once the ASEAN members converge in 2015?
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

Return to “Laos”