Rugby Union

General sports news and discussions.
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Re: Rugby Union

Post by BobHelm » November 29, 2009, 4:36 pm

Not a plan that I am much in favour of in the first place AA - the grind out a penalty, take 3, grind out another. Not really what I think Rugby is about. :(
I know England had a lot of pack injuries but I am not sure they have much of a plan A, let alone a plan B when it goes wrong... Johnson has looked a bit out of his depth to be honest. I think rugby for national side is suffering because there is so much money & so much necessity on winning for the club sides. This has, in my opinion, resulted in far, far too many foreign players & little time developing home grown talent...rant over for the day.... :D :D

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » November 29, 2009, 11:43 pm

Tri-Nations is real rugby.

They need to add Argentina.

The rest are flapping around without a clue.

Dublin Tony
udonmap.com

Post by Dublin Tony » November 30, 2009, 12:39 pm

Texpat wrote:Tri-Nations is real rugby.

They need to add Argentina.

The rest are flapping around without a clue.
Certainly Tri-Nations is the best but I think you are being harsh on Ireland and France !
"Flapping around without a clue".....well,certainly better than Argentina and maybe South Africa are more than grateful that they both dont have a clue !

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » November 30, 2009, 3:50 pm

Agree Tony, Ireland played well and came through the Tournament with Flying Colours. O'Drisscoll is a legend of the game, and I know he's only about 33 or so, but I'd swear he's been around for ever =D>

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » December 4, 2009, 8:29 am

go the All Blacks

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » December 4, 2009, 4:20 pm

C'mon Macca you can do better than that :D

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » December 5, 2009, 3:04 am

what do you want me to say digger? rugby has become ruddy boring because of the rule changes. kick kick kick kick kick scrum. As for the All Blacks, well no, we may look like we are winning , but we are struggling. The rule changes have done away with running rugby. We should have changed coaches, should have Robbie Deans as the All Black coach, even if aussie arent doing to good , Deans still has the record of success, and aussie will come right just on time for the cup. The All Blacks are holding onto to many old worn out players. Come world cup time they will be either injuried, or passed thier used sell by date. I dont think we will win the cup unless the All Blacks come up with some good new blood now.

Go the Irish, well done lads.. Wales you could have, but you didnt, England, fair to middlin, France need to spin it wide, Scotland havent heard nout from ya, Argentina slipping under the radar, Samoa, tonga, fiji all tempermental..oh and the Boks, big and boring, but they have adapted to the rules the best I guess, but boring rubgy.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » December 5, 2009, 5:02 am

At least you didn't call me Skippy :D You Guy's have the Home Town advantage this next World Cup. I suppose all the Games will be held in Dunneden so only the locals and a few Eskimos can survive the Weather :D On a serious note, I hope your right about Deans and his methods, I've heard it said by others, but for the life of me I can't understand what Australia are doing wrong. I just hope they don't sack him prematurely before he gets the side sorted. I wonder if Ritchy M'Caw arguably the best in the world at the moment will make it to the Cup ??

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » December 5, 2009, 8:10 am

Yup it would be silly if you chuck Deans out now..I dont think he is the fault, aussie are not doing much wrong, its the rules, rules that England pushed to have included in the game, and the players are struggling to adapt. I think aussie and the All Blacks are so use to running rugby, that this kicking game is taking them awhile to adapt, and the rules in the scrum have curtailed any sort of flowing game.

its become to technical and the refs to pedantic, to many penalities, stops the game of running rugby which we all want to see..sure home advantage is a help, but you got to have the right players to start with..Ritchy will be there, but they better rest him soon..what helped the All Blacks lately was the coaching staff swapped around. The forwards coach took over coaching the backs, and vice versa..seem to have sparked them up abit this UK tour..we dont like this player rotation scheme which the All Black coach brought in either, sort of didnt give any player a sense of security of position..anyway, alongway to go yet till cup time..did you see the price of the tickets for the final..$950 - $1250 each, $750 - 950 semi, etc etc..$60 for a group match..

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » December 5, 2009, 9:10 am

It's not a Family outing any more, just money money money ! Cheaper to watch it at home :(

amberika

Post by amberika » December 12, 2009, 2:53 pm

What are the basics of a prop in rugby union? Hey guys, Im hoping you can help me, Im 23 years old, am 6`2 and weigh 118 kilos. Im pretty fit, running 6-8 ks, most days along with hard weights training, Id really love to play rugby union.
I was wondering if you could tell me how hard the game is to learn, and what are the responsibilities of a prop? I appreciate any help you can give, cheers guys.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » December 13, 2009, 4:50 am

you are abit tall for a prop. why you want to play prop?.the game is not hard to learn..prop is easy position to play, mostly scrum work, hoisting up ball jumpers up in the lineouts, scummaging for the ball in rucks and malls..really just the power house work..dont see many props sprinting down the wing scoring tries..props just do the hard grunt work, twist afew scrums, pull afew down which is a no no....having coached rugby and many other sports, I would really need to see you in action to see if you are even suitable for the prop position..might make a good No.8, or a winger if you have any speed, considering your height and weight....

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » December 13, 2009, 3:32 pm

Where are you from amberica ?? They are always looking for big strong men, especially if you can move also. Just a little tip though, Rugby is not all grunt, you have to think fast on your feet !!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 13, 2009, 3:43 pm

If he can't think Aa, you could always refer him to the ARL :D

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » December 13, 2009, 3:52 pm

Not nice 8)

Astana
udonmap.com

Post by Astana » December 13, 2009, 5:47 pm

amberika wrote:What are the basics of a prop in rugby union? Hey guys, Im hoping you can help me, Im 23 years old, am 6`2 and weigh 118 kilos. Im pretty fit, running 6-8 ks, most days along with hard weights training, Id really love to play rugby union.
I was wondering if you could tell me how hard the game is to learn, and what are the responsibilities of a prop? I appreciate any help you can give, cheers guys.

The Prop (tighthead or loosehead) usually the stockiest member of the team, whose head typically joins his shoulders without recourse to a neck. His job is to support the hooker in the scrums and the jumpers in the lineout. He thrives on physically intimidating his opposite number. So you may be a bit tall for this position, however you might well more suited to either the No. 8 position who packs down at the back of the scrum, between the two locks. He is responsible for the crucial role of providing the scrum-half with good ball from the base of the scrum or launching attacks from the same position. Often more physically imposing than his back row colleagues, he is a ball winner at the tail of the lineout and a ball carrier in loose play or in the second row who is invariably the tallest man in the team. It is their job to win the ball in the lineout and provide the main impetus to the scrum. Due to their height, weight and increased athleticism, locks now perform a vital role in loose play. Australia even have one that kicks goals or possibly an openside or blindside flanker who binds onto the scrum on whichever side is closest to a touchline. He is primarily concerned with winning the ball in loose play and supporting the jumpers in the lineout and prides himself on his ability to execute the sort of tackles that make spectators wince.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » June 11, 2010, 11:02 am

With the Football World Cup going on at the moment a lot of people might have missed the fact that England plays the Wallabies in Perth tomorrow night. Lets hope it's an entertaining game as Australia have gone for a youthful and mostly untried side........http://www.skynews.com.au/sport/article ... ID=1522325

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 20, 2010, 5:40 pm

In a quite remarkable result England manage to beat Australia 21-20 yesterday.
I didn't see the game - but I did watch the first in Perth where Australia stuffed a pathetic England side - & the result greatly surprised me. I hope that the display deserved the result while much is being made in the media about Wilkinson returning to the site of Englands' finest rugby hour & repeating the job!!!
England were poor, poor, poor during the 6 Nations & even after this result I am still to be convinced that Martin Johnson is the man for the job or even knows what direction England should be going....

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » February 5, 2022, 8:45 pm

I say, anyone watching the Six Nations this afternoon?
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 5, 2022, 9:15 pm

No

Return to “World Sports”