PREMIER LEAGUE 2009/10

General sports news and discussions.
Galee
udonmap.com

Re: PREMIER LEAGUE 2009/10

Post by Galee » November 6, 2009, 6:45 pm

The transfer ban on Chelsea has been suspended by CAS pending a ruling. \:D/ \:D/

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » November 9, 2009, 9:49 am

Chelsea 1 Manchester United 0

John Terrys goal,15 minutes from time,puts Chelsea 5 points clear at the top. :(
United the better team but no cutting edge up front.

Arsenal looking very good,at the moment,quite possibly Chelseas main rivals for the title ??

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 9, 2009, 10:03 am

Yup agree Zid....
Arsenal are the team to watch - good young team playing entertaining football....we have been here before though. If & when the injuries pile up in January/February don't really have the back up players available. If there is a light winter in England & they can keep a couple of players injury & card free they are really in with a chance.
Personally i hope they do it.......

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » November 9, 2009, 10:23 am

Yes,come on Arsenal [-o<
What with Chelsea 5 points clear in the Premiership,Galee top of the H2H and 2nd in the Fantasy League,life is becoming unbearable for us true football fans !! :D

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » November 9, 2009, 10:28 am

Zidane wrote:Yes,come on Arsenal [-o<
What with Chelsea 5 points clear in the Premiership,Galee top of the H2H and 2nd in the Fantasy League,life is becoming unbearable for us true football fans !! :D
Arsenal have of course a game in hand over the other top four teams .Three London teams at the top. =P~

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » November 9, 2009, 10:47 am

trubrit wrote:
Arsenal have of course a game in hand over the other top four teams .Three London teams at the top. =P~
Well,Chelsea and Arsenal for sure but I think you are asking a bit much of Fulham tb !! ;)

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » November 9, 2009, 2:40 pm

Zidane wrote:
trubrit wrote:
Well,Chelsea and Arsenal for sure but I think you are asking a bit much of Fulham tb !! ;)
North London neighbours of Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspurs really, although Fulham supporters can dream all the way to Harrods . :lol:

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » November 10, 2009, 9:23 am

No,I was joking about Fulham tb but I reckon Spurs will end up about 5th or 6th at the end.
I think United and Citeh will be in the top four.
City could well qualify for the Champions League at the expense of Liverpool whose miserable form continued when they could only scrape a 2-2 draw against Birmingham.

Going off topic for the Premiership briefly.....I see Peterborough United have sacked their manager,Darren Ferguson son of Sir Alex.They are struggling in the Championship,at the moment,but the guy has led this small club to successive promotions so surely they should have been satisfied with survival this season ?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 10, 2009, 11:35 am

By all accounts they didn't even compete in the game at WTF@St James Park at the weekend. If the team are trying, and getting beaten, that's one thing, but when a chairman/supporters see the team "give up" 15 mins into a game, then something has to be done .......... I know !! just look at my fantasy team !!

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 12, 2009, 11:33 am

A friend of mine e-mailed me the following. It is his take on last weekends games & the season's contenders. I don't agree with everything said, but some is interesting. :D :D It is not a short piece. :D
ALTERNATIVE VIEWPOINT. . Tuesday 10 November 2009.

EPL Review
The Chelsea Power Machine deservedly, just, prevailed against a hard fighting and determined Man. U. side inspired by the usually resolute Fletcher aided by the, to be expected, equally fighting performances from Evra, an ever improving Evans and, somewhat surprisingly, a physically aggressive display from Carrick; a side of the latter hitherto noticeably lacking throughout his career to date. Rooney put in his best and most controlled performance of the season; that his mostly one man attacking efforts kept the Chelsea defence fully occupied and alert throughout the match, says it all. While exciting, and the result in doubt throughout, this was not at all a game for the footballing purists. Neither Deco nor Carrick produced anything creative. It came as a surprise to note that, on the day, the most creative and skilful player was Anelka.
Never mind about finishing in the top four, Liverpool need to start concentrating on finishing in the top six, or making a determined effort to win the FA or League cup, if the club is avoid the embarrassment, not to mention the footballing and financial disaster, of being out all international competitions next season. To adopt the line that Liverpool was unlucky not to score during the last 30 minutes of continuous bombardment of the Birmingham goal, is to ignore the real truth, which is that their players were not good enough to do so! My view, I suspect shared by most viewers, is that had Torres been present during that last thirty minutes Liverpool would have won by a large margin. Sadly, the fact is Liverpool is no longer one of an elite Top Four. History alone does not bestow that title; it has to be earned from season to season in this modern competitive, and unforgiving, environment. Currently there is only a Top Three and Liverpool is merely in a group of four clubs (namely Liverpool, Man.City, Aston Villa & Everton) laying equal claim to that elitist fourth spot. I sincerely think Benitez (not the owners) is the major problem and is the person slowly but surely destroying a once legendary club. In business terms, the outlay of twenty million pounds to save the club constitutes a sound business investment (don’t you agree Jamie?), In fact I am certain, in the final analysis, the club would not end up paying anywhere near that amount, since I have the major suspicion Benitez has long ago mapped out his immediate future. Liverpool should get in a BRITISH Manager NOW; one possessing a full understanding of the heart and tradition of one of football’s greatest clubs and most loyal and committed band of supporters. By doing so the club just might qualify for a European competition next year – which I confidently forecast is not going to be the case under the present circumstances.
Arsenal is now doing what it wasn’t in recent seasons; it is ruthlessly and efficiently killing off the Premier League minnows when they play them. Also, despite the pussyfooting, sit-on-the-fence attitude of some expert (?) pundits, the team continues to demonstrate it is NOT a one man team. There also now exists within the team, ruthlessness, belief and maturity, all of which have been carefully nurtured over the last couple of seasons. Perhaps it could be argued that Gibbs has yet to attain Wenger’s required high standards, but he is continuing to improve. Also Gallas on occasion, has his lapses and the defence, in general, is probably the team’s weakest area. Another very noticeable improvement is in the team’s performances in the Champion’s League matches, both home and away, which have been as impressive as that of any of the Pundits favourite contenders. I stand by my pre-season forecast that Arsenal will win the Champions League competition this season.
Man. City yet again demonstrated, against a fighting Burnley side, that the team is very much still in a transitional mode and unlikely to challenge for any trophies this season. The team, while undoubtedly possessing world class players and the financial resources to add to their number as necessary, still lacks the cohesion, understanding, and ‘team spirit’ so essential for success. Whether the club finishes in the top four seems more likely to depend on how their main rivals (Liverpool, Aston Villa, Everton &Spurs), than on its own performances. Recent performances suggest the team is not yet quite good enough, although likely to finish fifth or sixth.
Aston Villa, yet again, produced another impressive TEAM performance in dismantling a very mediocre Bolton side. In the best traditions of yesteryear, the team is not dependent upon any one or two star players but play as a unit, with team spirit, cohesion and understanding, which are so much a part of the teams the club’s manager loves to produce and form the basis of his continuing successful managerial career. That the team has been comparatively free from injury problems and seemingly suffered not all from the potentially crippling effect of departure of Barry are major pluses. Based on the performances of the team to date, I think the Villa is a very serious top four contender.
Spurs can count themselves lucky and Sunderland the opposite. Neither Defoe nor Crouch looked likely to score, and even less like England players. The latter is something they shared in common with Jenas & Hoddlestone who, based on their performances in this match, I very much doubt the Sunderland manager would have accepted in straight swop offer in exchange for Reid & Malbronque! I have never understood why Spurs let Malbronque depart the club. I cannot recall that he ever put in a bad performance and was, and remains, among the most hardworking and best midfielders in the Premier League, who never fails to give of his best. Unfortunately Robbie Keane appears to have lost that special something he possessed pre his Liverpool experience. Jenas has promised much and delivered very little over the years at Premier League level, and his previous limited international performances hardly bode well for this latest recall. On Saturday he was caught all too often in possession of the ball, as he hesitated trying to decide what to do with it. So also the thought of what the pace and skill of the Brazilians are likely to do to the slow moving Hoddlestone hardly bears thinking about! Nothing much has changed at Spurs and the early hopes and promise appear to have evaporated and, given the competition from other emerging teams this season, the club will do well to finish in the top six.
Everton battled and did well to overcome vast injury problems in achieving this result away from home against an underrated West Ham side. The club seems to be slowly emerging from the problems of a massive injury list. The combination of one of the best performing Managers in the business and a very able squad of players totally committed to him and the club, I think confidently anticipate continuing improvement in the coming weeks and a serious challenge for a top four spot and a certain top six finish.

SUMMARY:
Chelsea absolutely will be runaway winners of the Premier League by virtue of the overwhelming physical power and presence of so many of their star players and the size and quality of the squad. With so many competitive matches to be played these factors will assume increasing importance as the season progresses.
In the long term competition of the EPL, the above factors are the difference between Chelsea & Arsenal . On the skill factor this Arsenal team continues to demonstrate it has no peers as a footballing unit. The team achieves with footballing skill what Chelsea often achieves with sheer power. On their day, the Arsenal team has no footballing peers among other clubs, whether in the EPL or any other league.. What some Pundits also appear to overlook is that the style of play adopted by Arsenal is physically less demanding than is the case with Chelsea and other teams. Thus, I think Arsenal will achieve second spot in the EPL and will appear in the Champions League final.
Man. United is no longer the force it was, even as recently as last season. Ferdinand’s current form is of major concern as his decline in performance is not just related to occasional lapses of concentration but also to his general overall performances during a game. What used to be the rare sight of a missed tackle or an opponent beating him for pace, is no longer rare. Carrick simply is not producing the creativity and skills, or fulfilling the promises of his early days. I continue to maintain that Berbatov is among the most overrated of players (most particularly by the pundits) and has done very little, since joining United, to justify his high flying reputation as a striker, and even less to demonstrate he is a “Man. Utd/Ferguson” player. There is no longer the flair and confidence so much an integral part of Man. U. teams for so many decades. Players displays of arrogance, without the redeeming influence of the silky skills of the likes of Denis Law, Bobby Charlton, Cantona ,Giggs, Scholes, and their contemporaries, is unacceptable. So also, the ever increasing old man like petulance by Ferguson, and his continuing unpunished criticism, is resulting in the natural human nature resentment of referees (not so many home ground decisions and referee subservience to Ferguson?). All of these factors, as well as the legendary nature of the club, heap pressure upon the players who longer, as in the past, have come through the ranks and were unaffected. I do think that, simply because this is Manchester United the club will finish third because a lesser achievement would be unthinkable. I do not think however, that there is any prospect of the club reaching the final of the Champions League or the FA Cup.
Taking into account the other factors mentioned earlier in this article, I think the season’s surprise will be Aston Villa achieving the fourth EPL spot! Had David Moye’s Everton not had run of injuries, there could have developed a fascinating battle between two of footballs most able of managers, as well as two of footballs gentlemen. As it is, probably Everton has too much ground to make up and will finish fifth.
Logically, Liverpool and Spurs should finish sixth and seventh. But, the way this season is unfolding, logic appears to have very little to do with the results. Bearing that out, consider that these clubs could well be anxiously looking over their shoulders at the end of the season at, would you believe, Sunderland!!
Mathusalah 10/11/09

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 12, 2009, 1:54 pm

A lot of what the guy says, I agree with, however, I can't agree with Arsenal finishing second OR winning the CL.
The only hope they have of either, is for Fabregas to remain injury/suspension free, and maintain the standard he has set in the first couple of months. Sadly for Arsenal and their fans, I can't see this being the case.
I can only assume Mark Hughes must have a "watertight" contract at Manshitty, coz I really can't see any other reason that the owners have kept him.
As for Man U, Maybe Fergie has lost a little bit as he has got older, but I think it is more a problem of those working for him. Where are the schoolboy scouts who used to find a never ending supply of youngsters in the schools of England/Scotland/Ireland and even Wales. They seem too occupied in scouting for kids in South America/Italy/France/Spain now ........... mind you, If I were a football scout, I think I would prefer to watch a schoolboy match in Cannes or Rimini or Sao Paulo than one in Bradford on a wet and windy December afternoon.
Chelsea may well have enough in reserve to win the title this year, but It will only take a couple of bad results to get people questioning the management and players, and when you have a team of individuals playing for you, that is usually all it takes for dressing room harmony to break down, and then anything can happen.
Villa are good ........ not good enough, but good. They don't seem to believe that they are good enough to make the extra step up. Spurs will flatter to decieve once again, and will never challenge until they get a solid defence that is able to play for more than two games without having a month or two off. Bassong was a good signing, but his injury has left them in their usual situation of being lightweight at the back. Everton will only start to perform if both Arteta and Jagielka return to action quickly and in top form from the word go.
If Liverpool don't get rid of Benitez soon ...... very soon ...... they will finish no higher than 6th.They have some quality players and some very poor quality backup players. The squad is no where near good enough to mount a challenge for any trophy, and unless they revert to the playing system of years gone by, and keep playing the same eleven week in week out they will struggle.
That's the Statto-take on the season so far ...... anyone agree/dissagree with anything?

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » November 12, 2009, 8:43 pm

Seems a pretty fair summary Statto. Can't argue with any of that. So which National rag are you the football correspondent for? :D

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » November 12, 2009, 9:06 pm

Thats a very intelligent post,statto.Are you sure you wrote it all by yourself ?? :D
At the start of the season I thought...
1.Chelsea 2.Liverpool 3.United 4.Citeh
but now I reckon...
1.Chelsea 2.Arsenal 3.United 4.Citeh

I still think Portsmouth,Hull and Wolves will be relegated though.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » November 12, 2009, 9:36 pm

SAF gets 4 match ban, 2 of which are suspended.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009 ... son-banned

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » November 14, 2009, 9:20 am

Just some bits of news about Premiership players,according to BBC Sport....

John Terry has injured his ankle in training but it is not thought to be too serious and he should be fit to face Brazil says Fabio Capello.
Not such good news for Frank Lampard who tore a thigh muscle in training and is out for 3 weeks.

25 year old Carlos Tevez says he will consider retirement if Argentina win the 2010 World Cup as he is tired !
Its a shame for Carlos but I think he is going to have to put up with his awful job for a while yet ! :D

Dublin Tony
udonmap.com

Post by Dublin Tony » November 17, 2009, 10:31 am

Big game for the reds on Saturday against Man City....lunchtime kick off in the UK.
Hopefully we will have some of the injuries sorted out particularily Gerrard and Torres.
The Birmingham game,yes it was a dive by N'gog but the first bit of luck we have had in a long time.

statto.....no point in getting rid of Benitez.Not really his fault as the two American cowboys have not given him the funds to strengthen the team although some of the signings he has made have been poor.
And who is there available to replace Benitez ??

Chelsea have quite a few injuries now but I think Wolves at home wont be a problem for them.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 18, 2009, 10:33 am

DT, I can't agree about Benitez. He has had plenty of time (more than many managers get). He HAS had funds available, and has WASTED most of it on poor quality squad players who bring absolutely nothing to the team exept numbers, and one or two overpriced superstars. The only plus that Benitez brings is continuety .......... If they change him now, they could easily start on the slippery slope than many before (my lot recently) have trodden, ie; Boardroom Unrest + managerial changes + no trophys + players lacking confidence + players getting fed up and leaving = BIG TIME TROUBLE. It doesn't matter how BIG the club, or their previous History, it can hapen to ANYONE.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 18, 2009, 10:48 am

Thats a very intelligent post,statto.Are you sure you wrote it all by yourself ?? :D

All on my little lonesome Zid........ suprised me when I re-read it today, then I noticed the time it was written .......... after hangover and before I'd been out. :lol:

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » November 18, 2009, 11:50 am

There was an article in the Daily mail yesterday quoting Benitez as saying if Torres is sold Benitez will resign.
Quite a few Liverpool supporters replied to the article saying that it would probably be the best thing for Liverpool if he did go. Assuming they get 60M for Torres they could buy 2-3 decent players to strengthen the squad and save themselves 20m compensation with Benitez resigning.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 18, 2009, 12:18 pm

Don't know Galee - the theory is good and it is what I though would happen at United with Ronnie going - but didn't. :(
I don't think the money would venture very far past the American owners.
As for the Spanish waiter.....His side are no nearer winning the Premiership than when he joined, if that is the measure of success. But it has been dominated by 3 excellent managers, one of whom had virtually unlimited cash. Not easy for any club to compete & I can't see the current owners at Pool willing to invest the millions needed for some one like 'The Special One' salary let alone the 500 million or so he would want for new players. :shock:

Return to “World Sports”