World Series 2010

General sports news and discussions.
polehawk
udonmap.com

World Series 2010

Post by polehawk » October 24, 2010, 8:26 pm

Philadelphia Phillies and New York Yankees, heavy favorites to meet again in the World Series, have been eliminated so it will be the Texas Rangers vs the San Francisco Giants in the baseball classic. Game 1 will start on Wednesday, Oct. 27, in San Francisco (on ESPN channel in Thailand). Expected starting pitchers will be Cliff Lee for Texas and Tim Lincecum for the Giants. Texas has never won a world series and Giants haven't won since 1954 when they were based in New York.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: World Series 2010

Post by jackspratt » October 24, 2010, 8:37 pm

If you don't have a TV connection, but you do have a good ADSL connection, have a look here for live streaming: http://www.myp2pforum.eu/forums/22-MLB-Baseball

Enjoy :D

Bilko
udonmap.com

Post by Bilko » October 25, 2010, 5:55 am

I know very little about this event. so can you tell me why its called "world series" when most if not all involved are frome the USA.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 25, 2010, 8:37 am

I believe that the first ever series was sponsored by a now defunct periodical called "World". Hence the rather catchy title. :D The event is obviously more popular than the magazine turned out to be.
It is always good for a sport to have 'new contenders' for the final & I wish them both all the very best.
I am not a huge baseball fan but, as I love to watch the strange game of cricket, would not want to criticise those that are... :D :D

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » October 25, 2010, 8:58 am

It is great to have a ''dog'' in the hunt,since I am a bay area guy and SF Giant supporter,I was keen to watch all the games!
I almost opened a ''World Series thread,but anticipating that the non-Americans on the board would probably focus on ''why it is called the''World Series'' rather than than having any interest in the game.I decided not to do it.

Truth is,I figured the Americans interested were already ''tuned in''anyway and my real purpose would be just to ''rag'' the Philly supporter,LA :roll:

So back to the big controversy regarding the use of the word ''World''!My opinion is that ,at the time of its initiation,The USA had the Major professional players playing the sport there,later incorporating the top players from outside the USA into the ''professional'' game there!Professional teams in other counties were probably not on par with these teams,or at least considered on par at the time of the Series initiation!

One could say the an organization using the word ''World'' initially were justifed in their view of it representing competition amongst the ''best professional ''players and teams in the World at the time and then a trade name was established as the ''World Series'',surely their right to do and have!After all there are many trade names with the word World included!

Add to that,if I am not mistaken,World competitions using the term World are Nationalistic in nature,representing country versus country,not professional team versus professional team,something that I am not sure I favor as the best way for humans to act,as Nationalism pride is often distorted,overdone and reinforces differences instead of commonality,IMO!

I believe that there was a lame attempt at explaining the ''World Series'' was named that because it was sponsored by a New York newspaper named the World at that time.But all research posted about the investgation of that claim,shows no reference to it in there publications!

I do believe that other Nations, now, have comparable competitive professional leagues and teams,that a format of the ''Best in the World'' could be initiated and I think there has been some discussion amongst the Major leaguers regarding it! I hope that a competition between ''PROFESSIONALS'' will be the format!:D

Fahlep Yai
udonmap.com

Post by Fahlep Yai » October 25, 2010, 9:05 am

Bilko wrote:I know very little about this event. so can you tell me why its called "world series" when most if not all involved are frome the USA.
more than 9 hours before the sniping began. that might be a new record. figured some bored soul would find a reason to be critical. never disappoints.

thanks for the positive and useful link, jackspratt! :D

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 25, 2010, 9:09 am

Yeah, well, the Toronto Maple Leaf and Montreal Royals were non-American baseball teams in the 1880s-90s, and I believe that Guelph and perhaps Hamilton and Ottawa had teams as well that played professionally. Yes, most of the players on these Canadian teams were American, but...I guess you have a point.

Nationalism is great, which is what makes the World Cup exciting, and the International Ice-Hockey championships and World Curling Championships too.

Okay, okay, nationalism is not so good when it leads to wars, but if you can leave the fighting to the pitch, the rink, the baseball grounds and so on, it is not such a bad thing.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 25, 2010, 9:29 am

Ah, OK I stand corrected Stan... :D
Although the "Fall Classic" as we know it didn't begin until 1903, Major League Baseball had several versions of a post-season championship series before that. In 1884, the Providence Grays of the National League outplayed the New York Metropolitan Club of the American Association in a three game series for what was originally called "The Championship of the United States." Several newspapers penned the Grays as "World Champions" and the new title stuck.
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/ws/wsmenu.shtml

SanukJoe
udonmap.com

Post by SanukJoe » October 25, 2010, 10:06 am

From the Baseball Almanac:

Although the "Fall Classic" as we know it didn't begin until 1903, Major League Baseball had several versions of a post-season championship series before that. In 1884, the Providence Grays of the National League outplayed the New York Metropolitan Club of the American Association in a three game series for what was originally called "The Championship of the United States." Several newspapers penned the Grays as "World Champions" and the new title stuck. Over the next six years, different variations took place between the National League and American Association pennant-winners, ranging in length from six to fifteen games. The American Association folded unexpectedly after the 1891 season forcing a suspension of the series. The following year, the National League absorbed four of the American Association's former franchises and expanded to twelve teams in an effort to promote the growth of baseball and maintain the public interest. They played a split season in which the first-half winner played the second-half winner for the league championship. Many fans did not support the new system and the split season was promptly dropped in 1893.

In 1894, Pittsburgh's owner William C. Temple offered a championship trophy to the winner of a best-of-seven-game series between the National League's first and second-place teams. In addition, he stated that the winning franchise would receive 65% of all ticket sales and the losing team would pocket 35%. Temple's novel idea would last for the next three years and helped to build the foundation for baseball's post-season popularity. More changes were on the horizon and in 1901, the American League was established much to the dismay of the senior circuit. Suddenly, baseball found itself engaged in a "civil war" as both rival leagues competed separately for the fan's loyalty and attention. Two years later a truce, previously known as the "National Agreement", was redefined outlining baseball's employment, salary and travel requirements. The 1903 compromise produced the business blueprint for major-league baseball and resulted in a merger that has lasted to this day. Once again Boston and Pittsburgh, the top American and National League teams, found themselves competing against one another in the first official "World Series".

So Stan and other US who have no idea: a "civil war" between two rival leagues ended in a truce and as the name "Championship of the US" could not be used anymore (and newspapers called the winners of the first local series "world champions") it was "world series" from then on... wrong name of course but that is my personal opinion.

Joe

Quote:
"World Series week indicates that baseball is one of America's major disturbances." - Bugs Baer

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » October 25, 2010, 12:02 pm

A little quirk of nature. Along the same lines of "Great" Britain. Complete nonsense.

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » October 25, 2010, 12:10 pm

I think most now realise that Britain isnt that great anymore , not like in the past when we found and invented America and so kindly allowed youz lot to use and subsiquently destroy our great language !!

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » October 25, 2010, 1:15 pm

pienmash wrote:and subsiquently destroy our great language !!
Dellishous.

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » October 25, 2010, 1:18 pm

pienmash wrote:I think most now realise that Britain isnt that great anymore , not like in the past when we found and invented America and so kindly allowed youz lot to use and subsiquently destroy our great language !!
:lol: :lol: Your wrong about allowing us to destroy your language!We didn't ask or accept your permission to improve onit and form the superior American language :lol: :lol:

Just like we improved cricket by developing baseball as out National past time sport!Great improvements don't you think?
''Ashes'',what is that,a sport funeral party?World series,World Series,go Giants!!! :lol: \:D/ \:D/

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 25, 2010, 1:31 pm

nkstan wrote:Just like we improved cricket by developing baseball as out National past time sport!
Ah no Stan. Now you are incorrect, baseball is not based on cricket it is based on a game called rounders..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rounders

Cricket is a far different game of complexity which requires skill and thought by both sides in order to become the victor. :D :D

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » October 25, 2010, 1:32 pm

Base ball = rounders for men in fancy dress
Basketball = netball for tall geezers usualy black

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » October 25, 2010, 1:41 pm

BobHelm wrote:
nkstan wrote:Just like we improved cricket by developing baseball as out National past time sport!
Ah no Stan. Now you are incorrect, baseball is not based on cricket it is based on a game called rounders..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rounders

Cricket is a far different game of complexity which requires skill and thought by both sides in order to become the victor. :D :D
Thanks Bob,I stand corrected! :lol: :lol: I guess I don't google enough :lol:Does cricket have a 7th inning stretch allowing time to pee and grab a beer and hot dog,or do you have to sit correctly and sing nursery rhymes? :lol:

Bilko
udonmap.com

Post by Bilko » October 25, 2010, 2:32 pm

Christ ! I'am sorry i asked. :confused:

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 25, 2010, 4:15 pm

nkstan wrote:Does cricket have a 7th inning stretch ...................
I doubt anyone in the cricketing nations knows the words to "God Bless America" :D

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » October 25, 2010, 4:50 pm

jackspratt wrote:
nkstan wrote:Does cricket have a 7th inning stretch ...................
I doubt anyone in the cricketing nations knows the words to "God Bless America" :D

Jack

The 7th inning stretch song is "Take me out to the ball game'. Your know, "buy me some peanuts and cracker jacks".

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 25, 2010, 5:02 pm

Not during the playoffs Shado - I know because I have been constantly muting the sound during the 7th innings stretch. [-(

Return to “World Sports”