NCAA Football

General sports news and discussions.
Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

NCAA Football

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » September 21, 2012, 10:26 pm

Yes, Ernie Davis, was a fantastic runner, and deserving of winning the Heisman. I liked the movie too. This was at a time when southern schools were getting flack for not having black players, but the Orangemen only had three, and many northern schools had one or none. Things changed in the later '60s.

You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

NCAA Football

Post by WBU ALUM » September 22, 2012, 4:41 am

Real shocker with BYU and Boise St. 7-6?????

I remember offenses from these teams that would've had a 56-49 score in regulation. Defense has never been their forte.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

NCAA Football

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » September 23, 2012, 1:24 am

Yes, that is hard to believe, really. Could Utah really surprise and win the PAC?

Well, Ole Miss is up 26-0 over Tulane about half-way through the third quarter. The Rebels seem to have a good quarterback in Bo Wallace. I am not saying he is in the same league as Charlie Conerley, Jake Gibbs, Glynn Griffing, Kent Austin or the Manning boys. We will see how he does vs. the Crimson Tide next week.

Texas Christian is rolling over Virginia, 21-0.

I sure the L.S.U.-Auburn game is televised tonight. Right now, it is Kentucky-Flordia with Mizzou-South Carolina coming up in one hour. Got to get home to watch that one.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

NCAA Football

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » September 23, 2012, 2:28 am

In the first significant result of the day, Ole Miss improved to 3-1 with a 39-0 trouncing of Tulane. The Reb's defence needed that after surrendering 66 points to Texas last week.

In other games, Texas Christian won 27-7 over Virginia, and in three surprises by the small margin of victory, Ohio State won 29-15 over Alabama-Birmingham, and West Virginia bested Maryland, 31-21, and the supposedly mighty Wisconsin Badgers struggled vs. Texas-El Paso (Texas Western) 37-26.

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

NCAA Football

Post by WBU ALUM » September 23, 2012, 12:56 pm

Kansas State upset Oklahoma.

Oregon State upset UCLA.

Auburn gave LSU a scare.

Everyone else won who was supposed to win.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

NCAA Football

Post by Stantheman » September 23, 2012, 9:06 pm

The Kansas State game was great to watch and shows the rest of the Big 12 and other NCAA teams that Oklahoma is not that good this year even with the same quaterback as last year!!!

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

NCAA Football

Post by WBU ALUM » September 23, 2012, 9:33 pm

Stantheman wrote:The Kansas State game was great to watch and shows the rest of the Big 12 and other NCAA teams that Oklahoma is not that good this year even with the same quaterback as last year!!!
OU has had some wimpy QBs in the new century, haven't they?

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

NCAA Football

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » September 24, 2012, 4:47 am

The Boomer Sooner express has been derailed! K-State and Oregon State are nice surprises so far, and South Carolina looks very good.

I watched the Mizzou-South Carolina, and Clemson-Florida State games with brief glances at Oklahoma-Kansas State and Notre Dame-Michigan.

I am somewhat upset with ABC owing to the fact they have shown Penn State on 4 consecutive Saturdays. The Nittany Lions are not that interesting or important. The L.S.U. and Auburn game was not televised, which was disappointing. The Oregon Ducks look okay so far, and that Notre Dame defence has been impressive.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

NCAA Football

Post by Stantheman » September 24, 2012, 8:22 am

LYM I was able to catch some of the LSU game on ESPN her in Kansas, it started about 6:00 PM local I think

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

NCAA Football

Post by WBU ALUM » September 24, 2012, 9:46 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:The L.S.U. and Auburn game was not televised, which was disappointing.
I understood it was on ESPN. Not there?

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

NCAA Football

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » September 24, 2012, 6:27 pm

In Canada, ESPN games show up on SportsNet Canada. They chose to televise the Oklahoma-Kansas State game. However that one was also on Fox TV. I went with Clemson-Florida State.

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

NCAA Football

Post by WBU ALUM » September 24, 2012, 6:39 pm

Jimbo Fisher is a friend of mine. He's got 'em rolling at FSU.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

NCAA Football

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » September 24, 2012, 7:04 pm

The Seminoles look great on offence, but they will need to tighten up that pass defence as they look vulnerable to the long bomb. Their schedule a is favourable one with Virginia Tech and Florida looking as the only possible teams to give them a challenge the remainder of the way.

Panty Hamster
udonmap.com

NCAA Football

Post by Panty Hamster » September 24, 2012, 8:18 pm

A long-time OU fan (and alumnus) I've grown tired of the perennial hype surrounding my school.
Sure the school has a good pedigree, but it doesn't mean every team is going to be world-beaters.
The Big 12 is done. Kaput. The universities that ran out last year were smart. They'll be better for it.

It's ironic that the nation's hotbed of quality HS football stars (mostly Texas) is now reduced to few decent colleges to attend in that region. Maybe the airlines are in on it.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

NCAA Football

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » September 24, 2012, 9:47 pm

Oklahoma will still give some teams a run for their money. Their defence looks solid but the giveaways by their quarterback doomed them vs. the Wildcats. Texas Christian, Texas, and West Virginia are good teams. Let's see what happens over the season.

mytluky
udonmap.com

NCAA Football

Post by mytluky » September 25, 2012, 6:16 am

I see OU as a 4 maybe 5 loss team this year. They lost a lot of talent and experience from last years team. The O-line needs to gel and hopefully they will. It will probably be too late to save this season though. :(

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

NCAA Football

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » September 28, 2012, 6:33 pm

A bit of an upset in college ball last night as the Washington Huskies upset Stanford 20-17. The Stanford offence never got untracked as receivers dropped too many passes or the quarterback underthrew or overshot receivers. The Irish of Notre Dame will be smiling over this result as Stanford was supposed to be a difficult opponent on their schedule.

It was nice to see the Huskies pull off the upset but I do not like them wearing black uniforms instead of their traditional purple ones.

The Tennessee-Georgia game should be interesting on Saturday, and one always hopes that Ole Miss can come up big vs. 'Bama. Let's see how the Oregon State Beavers do in Arizona vs. the Wildcats. Up north, they are trying to play up the Michigan State - Ohio State game, but if the Buckeyes lose it will leave only Northwestern and Minnesota to uphold the prestige of the conference, which is not saying much these days.

Notre Dame is dropping Michigan from their future schedules.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

NCAA Football

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 1, 2012, 1:04 am

Well, the two Oregon schools continue to win, and Minnesota fell from the ranks of the unbeaten. In a very strange game, West Virginia outlasted the Baylor Bears 70-63!!! Next up for the Mountaineers is Texas who got by Oklahoma State.

Georgia and Tennessee played a high-scoring game in which the Bulldogs beat the Vols 51-44. This game proved one point: Georgia has the best looking cheerleaders and majorettes. However, the 'Dawgs better look out because they play South Carolina next week, and the Gamecocks have a very good defence.

Things did not play out as planned in Tuscaloosa as the Crimson Tide hammered the Ole Miss Rebels 33-14.
Associated Press Top 25
1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. Florida State
4. LSU
5. Georgia
6. South Carolina
7. Kansas State
8. West Virginia
9. Notre Dame
10. Florida
11. Texas
12. Ohio State
13. Southern California
14. Oregon State
15. Clemson
15. TCU
17. Oklahoma
18. Stanford
19. Louisville
20. Mississippi State
21. Nebraska
22. Rutgers
23. Washington
24. Northwestern
25. UCLA

09/30/2012
Coaches Poll
1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. LSU
4. Florida State
5. Georgia
6. South Carolina
7. West Virginia
8. Kansas State
9. Texas
10. Notre Dame
11. Florida
12. Southern California
13. TCU
14. Oklahoma
15. Clemson
16. Louisville
17. Oregon State
18. Stanford
19. Mississippi State
20. Nebraska
21. Rutgers
22. Northwestern
23. Cincinnati
24. Texas Tech
25. Boise State
Complete details

09/30/2012
CBSSports.com 124
1. Alabama
2. Florida State
3. Southern California
4. LSU
5. Notre Dame
6. West Virginia
7. Oregon
8. Ohio State
9. Clemson
10. Oklahoma
11. Georgia
12. Nebraska
13. Louisville
14. Kansas State
15. Boise State
16. Florida
17. South Carolina
18. Texas
19. Ohio
20. Stanford
21. Michigan
22. Virginia Tech
23. Rutgers
24. Michigan State
25. TCU
Rankings: 1-25 · 26-124

09/24/2012
BCS Standings (Projected)
1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. LSU
4. Florida State
5. Stanford
6. Georgia
7. South Carolina
8. Kansas State
9. Notre Dame
10. Florida
11. Texas
12. West Virginia
13. Southern California
14. Oklahoma
15. Clemson
16. TCU
17. Michigan State
18. Oregon State
19. Louisville
20. Iowa State
21. Mississippi State
22. Rutgers
23. Boise State
24. Nebraska
25. UCLA
Complete details

09/24/2012

Division FCS, II, and III POLLS
FCS poll
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rankings
Cooper's 2 TDs lead top-ranked Alabama past Ole Miss
CBSSports.com wire reports

Sep. 30, 2012

11 | Comments TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- No. 1 Alabama actually trailed for a change, a predicament that lasted a grand total of 15 seconds.

Amari Cooper caught two touchdown passes from AJ McCarron and Christion Jones returned a kickoff 99 yards for another score, leading the Crimson Tide to a 33-14 victory over Mississippi Saturday night after a rare and early deficit.

The Tide (5-0, 2-0 Southeastern Conference) trailed briefly, 7-6, for the first time in regulation since last year's Tennessee game, a span of about 10 games. The Rebels (3-2, 0-1) put up a fight against a team that had been walloping opponents by nearly 37 points on average, but still lost their ninth straight SEC opener.

More on Alabama-Ole Miss
Columns
Jerry Hinnen
Quick Hits: Alabama's elite secondary shuts down any threat of an upset
Related links
SEC Buzz: Best, worst from weekend
Super-Sized Stats: Crazy numbers put up
Week 5: Expert Picks | Scoreboard
More SEC: Eye on CFB | RapidReports

More college football coverage
College Football 360: Watch daily, 10 a.m. ET
On Twitter | Subscribe to newsletter

"It was a hard-fought win for us," Alabama coach Nick Saban said. "I think people probably don't give Ole Miss enough credit. They played hard. They were physical. Their offense is difficult to defend."

Saban had tried to keep his players focused by broadcasting Tim Tebow's memorable speech after the Rebels upset Florida four years ago in the weight room and meeting rooms. Alabama goes into its open week without needing such a podium prompter.

McCarron completed 22 of 30 passes for 180 yards and Eddie Lacy gained much of his 82 yards in the fourth quarter when Alabama put it away with Jeremy Shelley's third and fourth field goals of the game.

The Tide's defense had three interceptions to bail out an offense that sputtered at times.

"Couldn't be more proud of the effort," Rebels first-year coach Hugh Freeze said. "Real pleased with the effort and fight our kids showed. They laid it on the line. They represented Rebel nation and the university very well.

"Our special teams were atrocious. We turned the football over because of us being greedy. It's hard to drive the football on the defense that they have."

Alabama totaled 305 yards against a defense that gave up 66 points and 676 yards to Texas two weeks ago. The Rebels gained 218 yards in a game that was largely controlled by the defenses after days when SEC teams like Texas A&M and Georgia rolled up 50-plus points.

Lacy had 12 carries for 43 yards through three quarters. Cooper collected eight catches for 84 yards.

McCarron broke Brodie Croyle's school mark of 190 consecutive passes without an interception. He finished the game with 206 in a row.

Bo Wallace was 15-of-26 passing for 123 yards for Ole Miss and was intercepted twice. Jeff Scott, the SEC's No. 5 rusher, was limited to 49 yards on 19 carries with a touchdown.

Ole Miss did something no other team had done in about 10 games: Got a lead on Alabama in regulation. It lasted only as long as it took Jones to run back the ensuing kick.

Scott cut inside for a 1-yard touchdown early in the second quarter for a 7-6 lead. That ended the Tide's streak at 603 minutes, 46 seconds dating back to a 3-0 first quarter deficit against the Volunteers last season.

It was fleeting. Jones raced untouched for a touchdown after grabbing the ball on a high bounce at the goal line and Alabama scored two more TDs before halftime to surge to a 27-7 lead.

It was Alabama's first kick return for a TD since Trent Richardson did it against Duke on Sept. 18, 2010.

"When they scored ... I kind of wanted to change the atmosphere of the game, the flow of the game, and not make it so the offense had to drive down," he said. "In my mind I was thinking, `Yeah, let's go ahead and get one to the house, let's change the atmosphere of the game."'

Mission accomplished for Jones.

Then, Dee Milliner intercepted a pass that Wallace threw right to him. Three plays later, McCarron hit the playmaking freshman Cooper for a 16-yard touchdown. It was ruled incomplete, but a review overturned the call after replays showed he had possession with a foot in bounds and the ball stretched just across the goal line.

Cooper reached over Frank Crawford in the end zone for a 12-yard touchdown. Both his scores were on third-down plays.

The Tide defense picked off passes on consecutive on consecutive drives after Ole Miss scored its first touchdown.

"That was the turning point in the game," Saban said. "We really only put one true drive together. Those turnovers were really the difference in the game."

Ole Miss didn't score again until Randall Mackey's 12-yard touchdown run with 6:35 left in the third quarter trimmed the deficit to 27-14. The Rebels converted two fourth-down plays on the drive, on a Jeff Scott run and catch.

The Rebels had one final chance to stay in the game. They inched across midfield midway through the fourth but had to punt and Alabama ran most of the clock down with a ground game mostly held in check before getting another field goal.

"The mistakes really hurt us," Mackey said "We kind of hurt ourselves really. We wanted to hit them in the mouth and we did. When you play Bama, they're the best of the best. It gives us confidence in the way we played. We've just got to stop the mistakes.

"Every time you play Alabama, it's their defense. You can't give them anything."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... _MISS@BAMA

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

NCAA Football

Post by WBU ALUM » October 1, 2012, 2:44 am

If you've ever been to an LSU practice when Saban was there, or an Alabama practice now (which I have), you will see why Saban's defenses are so overpowering. For one, classification doesn't matter. Saban doesn't care if you're a senior or a freshman. The best players play, and everyone on that team knows it. You don't like it, go to the house. Saban will get someone better than you in the next recruiting class.

LSU's major handicap continues to be Les Miles. This guy is moron and a liar, which makes for big trouble for him because he starts stuttering and stammering and confusing his words when confronted with the right questions. He usually releases written statements now to avoid this embarrassment.

I like what I'm seeing out of Jimbo at FSU. I won't be surprised if FSU and Bama play for it all.

The Pacific Coast schools have a ways to go in proving any kind of dominance outside of their own league play.

Texas' win over Okie State suprised me. Mack Brown may have them on a comeback trail.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

NCAA Football

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 1, 2012, 3:10 am

Saban is an amazing coach, and his players buy into his plan.

The Longhorns did not outplay the Cowboys by much, and they will be tested by West Virginia and Oklahoma. But, they sure have improved over the last few years.

Too bad about L.S.U. They have lots of talent, but not much imagination. They had great coaches in Charlie MacLendon (sp?), Paul Dietzel and Saban. The Bengal Tigers will still be an important factor in the conference and the Bowl games.

I agree about the Pacific Coast schools. Oregon State has beaten Wisconsin, but so has Nebraska and a few other weak teams came close. People are raving about the Ducks, well, let's see how they do the rest of the way.

Florida State has a great chance to go undefeated. Their one main test will be vs. Florida, and Miami usually plays them close.

Return to “World Sports”