World Series 2012

General sports news and discussions.
redwolf
udonmap.com

World Series 2012

Post by redwolf » October 28, 2012, 11:36 pm

assorted coolness:

"Giants vs. Tigers: 5 Biggest Matchups in World Series Game 4" By Benjamin Klein

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1387 ... ies-game-4
In the playoffs, Fielder is hitting .227 against right-handed fastballs, which coincidentally is the pitch that Cain tosses most frequently. Cain has thrown the heat 57 percent of the time during the playoffs and has kept opponents to just a .191 batting average against it.

Cain is likely to start Fielder out with a fastball when the two meet on Sunday night, and Fielder might just have to forget about taking a pitch and swing for the fences. After that first pitch goes by, Fielder won’t have many chances to get on base against Cain.

AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

World Series 2012

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 29, 2012, 12:29 am

Well, I guess Detroit has to go out and win four in a row now. Better late than never.

Bubba, do you have a link to that quote you copied about baseball? At least it seems like a quote, and not something written by you. Thanks.

Jack, Rosenthal is one of those so-called pundits called upon to speak, like Moses, from on high to the people and explain the nuaces of the game to all and sundry. He is a little bit less annoying that the political analysts who come on tv to tell people ad nauseum what just happened in the presidential debates that just took place.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

redwolf
udonmap.com

GIANTS SWEEP World Series 2012

Post by redwolf » October 29, 2012, 11:03 am

GIANTS SWEEP!

Thanks Laan Yaa Mo for suggesting the sweep. A sweep occurred!

And you can't pin it on any single guy the WHOLE team did it. Every single player on the roster pulled his weight.

From the killer Shortstop underpinning the excellent defense to the fierce pitching from start to finish. The offense just doing what they could, keeping it simple nothing amazing save for a couple memorable plays. But doing what's needed to win the game.

And Bruce Bochy the Manager really showed how good he is in winning it a second time for SF. Tactical master class he did this on one keeping Cain rested for the final stretch.

The Tigers never really had a chance, their coach was too inexperienced.

Glad to see it.

Nothing left for this thread, HAVE A NICE DAY.

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS 2012.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

World Series 2012

Post by jackspratt » October 29, 2012, 1:24 pm

redwolf wrote:
KB_Texas wrote: though honestly, it is silly to call it 'world' anything, since the only teams allowed to play are professional North American teams.

KB
very true, -which made me think:

when do we get International Baseball? March 2013

I think it would be the hottest thing EVER.

Imagine us going up against the Japanese teams or various amazing talents from So. America assembled under their national banners?

We be absolutely destroyed by Venezuela, etc. I'd love to see a high end Tokyo team completely DISMANTLE a team like the Yankees.

One can only dream but I would follow international baseball more than any sport as unlike football, one can't flop and be a "prancer" in baseball.
http://web.worldbaseballclassic.com/index.jsp

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

World Series 2012

Post by stattointhailand » October 29, 2012, 1:56 pm

From Wiki

The game of rounders has been played in England since Tudor times,[1] with the earliest reference being in 1744 in A Little Pretty Pocket-Book where it was called "base-ball" by John Newbery. In 1828, William Clarke in London published the second edition of The Boy's Own Book, which included the rules of rounders and which contained the first printed description in English of a bat and ball base-running game played on a diamond. The following year, the book was published in Boston, Massachusetts.

The first nationally formalised rules were drawn up by the Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) in Ireland in 1884. The game is still regulated by the GAA in Ireland. In Great Britain it is regulated by the National Rounders Association (NRA), which was formed in 1943. While the two associations are distinct, they share similar elements of gameplay and culture. Competitions are held between teams from both traditions, with games alternating between codes and one version being played in the morning and the other in the afternoon.

After the rules of rounders were formalised in Ireland, associations were established in Liverpool and Scotland in 1889. Both the 'New York game' and the now-defunct 'Massachusetts game' versions of baseball, as well as softball, share the same historical roots as rounders and bear a resemblance to the GAA version of the game. Rounders is linked to British baseball, which is still played in Liverpool, Cardiff and Newport. Although rounders is assumed to be older than baseball, literary references to early forms of 'base-ball' in England pre-date use of the term rounders. The game is now played up to international level.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

World Series 2012

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 29, 2012, 6:26 pm

That must have been the most uninspiring World Series ever, and I am not just saying that because Detroit was swept under the carpet...well, maybe I am 555+.

The play by the Tigers was far removed from my fond memories of 1968 and 1984.

I like to remember the Giants of 1963 who lost to the Yankees in seven. Now, that was a series worthy of the name. Oh well, too bad Detroit did not show up. But San Francisco did, and they are deserving rulers of the baseball world.

Wait 'til next year.

redwolf
udonmap.com

World Series 2012

Post by redwolf » October 31, 2012, 1:46 am

Thanks to all for the info about the World Basebal Classic, though I would like to see specific teams from each country vs. the European format of country vs. country. e.g. the Chunichi Dragons vs. the LA Dodgers. And have it be a long drawn out season instead of a month of qualifiers and an over-before-you-know-it couple weeks of playoffs & championship.

That's what I would call a genuine World Series. I say this mostly because truly entertaining baseball is played by teams that have had much time to gel, to learn to execute, to really compete. Where you can watch hitters, pitchers, defensive players, go through the mill & come out the other side of the season as real champions.

Just an opinion of course.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

World Series 2012

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 31, 2012, 2:53 am

The problem for the major leaguers is that they have a long season coming up consisting of 162 games, and for the pitchers, they only have so many innings/pitches in their arms. They do not want to risk injury by appearing in this competition. Of course, some of them will have to pitch in the playoffs too. The hitters too will have a very long season.

On the other hand, it is an intriguing tournament, and there is lots of great baseball to view.

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: World Series 2022

Post by tamada » November 6, 2022, 1:05 pm

Is over.

Google it.

(Party on Houston)
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Re: World Series 2022

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » November 8, 2022, 10:20 am

tamada wrote:
November 6, 2022, 1:05 pm
Is over.

Google it.

(Party on Houston)
The better team won although the Phillies gave them fits at times. Verlander finally got a World Series victory. I think his first attempt was in 2006 or so with the Tigers.

Return to “World Sports”