European Football Competitions 2013/14

General sports news and discussions.
Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » November 8, 2013, 8:44 am

I know its probably been said before but why arent Spurs playing Defoe in the Premiership matches where they are struggling for goals ? He's been a regular scorer in the Europa League this season and last nights goal was his 23rd for the Spuds in Europe overall which makes him the clubs leading goalscorer in these competitions ahead of Martin Chivers.
Its like he's been frozen out,the same as Mata at Chelsea and Kagawa at United.
Swansea almost sure to progress and Wigans fate is in their own hands as their remaining matches are against the clubs below them.

Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » November 8, 2013, 8:57 am

Zidane wrote:I know its probably been said before but why arent Spurs playing Defoe in the Premiership matches where they are struggling for goals ?
Asked that question myself. Every time I pick him for fantasy Footy he gets dropped. He seems to be a bit like Hernandez and more effective as a sub in the EPL. When he gets a chance to start he most often fails to deliver.
Its like he's been frozen out,the same as Mata at Chelsea and Kagawa at United.
Sadly i"m losing hope for kagawa and expect to see him leave in January. He is only effective when playing behind a lone striker and that role belongs to Rooney right now. Jurgen Klopp recently said he was often close to tears seeing possibly the best player in the world, in that position, being left out of the side or played out o position.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 9, 2013, 6:39 pm

And you think it's bad at the moment ............ from Eurosport:-

BT Sport has won exclusive rights to screen Champions League and Europa League football from 2015.

The broadcaster paid £898 million for a three-year deal to show all 350 matches from both of Europe’s top club tournaments.

It comes as another body blow for sports fans with only free-to-air channels – ITV currently shows big matches involving British sides plus the tournament’s latter stages, with the rest of the matches on Sky Sports.

While BT Sport is currently free to the company’s broadband subscribers, industry insiders expect that to change when the Champions League deal begins.

In a bid to stem discontent, BT said they will show each British team free – even to non-subscribers - "at least once" per season, along with both the Champions League and Europa League finals.

However, this is less than ITV which shows 18 live Champions League matches a season. Europa League coverage is spread across several channels including BT Sport, but games are also shown on Freeview channels ITV4 and Five.

It leaves a dearth of free-to-air football on TV. ITV screens England's home matches, and the BBC will share FA Cup rights from next season.

The World Cup and European Championship enjoy 'crown jewel' status, which means they must be shown live on free TV.

BT chief executive Gavin Patterson said: "BT Sport has got off to a strong start with customers enjoying what we have to offer. We have attracted millions of customers by giving sport back to the fans, and we can assure people who want to catch all the action, that European football will be far more accessible and affordable with BT."

The news comes as a major boost to the broadcaster’s bid to end Sky’s dominance of Britain’s pay-TV market.

It began screening Premier League matches in August, though it has struggled to win viewers for all sports.

Its WTA Tour tennis coverage has, at times, attracted audiences so low they fail to register above zero.

It has also had to deal with some embarrassing on-air gaffes. BT Sport apologised after pundit David Ginola was caught on camera directing a rude hand gesture at presenter Jake Humphrey.

The following evening, panellist Raphael Honigstein repeated the gesture on another show, apparently believing he was still in rehearsal.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » November 26, 2013, 9:11 am

Tonights matches involving the British teams are FC Basel v Chelsea,Arsenal v Marseille and Celtic v AC Milan.
Also a very interesting clash between Borussia Dortmund and Napoli.
Other matches tonight...Steaua Bucharest v Schalke,Zenit St. Petersburg v Atletico Madrid,FC Porto v FC Austria Vienna and Ajax v Barcelona.

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » November 26, 2013, 4:25 pm

Can't see anything other than a straight forward victory for Arsenal tonight.
The other match in the group will be interesting. Anything other than a victory will see last years finalist going out at an early stage. Been a long time since that's happened (selective memory).

Surely Chelsea will have learned from the opening group match and wont slip up against Basel.....or will they.
Even if they lose they will have the luxury of an easy last match at home to Steau and should qualify.

A must win for the Celts. If they win and Barca win in Amsterdam the Celts are guaranteed at least a Europa spot.

As for the next days matches I fear the worst for United, defeat could prove disastrous. There failure to close the game of in Ukraine and not score in Spain may very well haunt them.

After 2 years of failure to get passed the group stages the only big question for the Etihad will be can City can keep up their 4 goal a game average.
The result is pretty meaningless as even a victory will see them needing to score at least 3 in Munich if they are to win the group. Time for some fringe players to get game time.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 27, 2013, 7:36 am

score.jpg
Chelsea qualified for the Champions League knockout stages despite suffering a late defeat in Basel.
As the other group game ended in a draw, Chelsea cannot finish lower than second.

Arsenal only need to avoid a three-goal defeat in their final Champions League group game away to Napoli in Italy to reach the knockout phase after a comfortable win against Marseille at Emirates Stadium.
Scored in the first minute to make it an easy night.

Atlético Madrid spoil their perfect record with an away draw at Zenit St Petersburg but have already won the group by a mile.
Zenit St Petersburg & Porto will battle it out for second & third spot.

Celtic are out of the running for even third after being comprehensively beaten at home by AC.
With Ajax having a great home win against mighty Barca there is all to play for by the non Scots sides in this group, with nothing certain between them going into the last game.
Fixtures.jpg

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » November 27, 2013, 7:50 am

Group F could become a bit tricky and a team could go out despite accumulating 12 points.
Despite being group leaders going in to the last round there are no guarantees for Arsenal to progress.

If Dortmund win at whipping boys Marseille then it's all about what happens in Napoli.

It should be an all out assault by Napoli, they need to win 3 - 0 to go above Arsenal, can't see the gunners conceding 3

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » November 27, 2013, 8:52 am

Chelsea can count themselves lucky that they were in a relatively easy group....two defeats by FC Basel and they still progress.A talented player like Mata overlooked again....surely he will be on the move in January or at the end of the season ?
United will probably need at least three points from their final two games to reach the knockout stages,although a win tonight in Leverkeusen would put them through.....a bit of a tall order though....even a decent draw would mean they would have to beat Shakhtar in the final game,more than likely.

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » November 27, 2013, 10:42 am

A shock win for Real Socidead, currently on a good run, in Ukraine could make a very interesting final round of matches.
I would assume the Germans would be all out to win tonight, they would want to avoid needing a win in Spain.

A win for the Spanish and I would happily sit to the early hours watching United in a boring 0-0 , but I doubt it will prove to be that simple.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » November 27, 2013, 7:33 pm

Bayer Leverkeusen v Manchester United live on Thai TV Channel 3 at 2.45am for those fancying a late night or an early start.

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » November 28, 2013, 1:50 am

Zidane wrote:Bayer Leverkeusen v Manchester United live on Thai TV Channel 3 at 2.45am for those fancying a late night or an early start.
Cheers for that one.

Doesn't matter how old I get the thrill of footy never fades.
Problem is I become an insomniac for mid week games. Another sleepless night.

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » November 28, 2013, 4:43 am

Macca wrote: Problem is I become an insomniac for mid week games. Another sleepless night.
And it was worth it.
=D> \:D/ =D> \:D/ =D> Leverkusen 0 United 5. =D> \:D/ =D> \:D/ =D>
Where the hell did that come from. Possibly Uniteds best performance in 2 or 3 years and a different class to what we have seen this season.
Done without 1st choice defender, midfielder and forward. Admittedly the Germans were surprisingly poor and it could have all been very different if not for Evans fantastic last ditch tackle at 0-0.
Kagawa finally got his no. 10 role and showed his best performance in a United shirt. The young lad Giggs has potential.
Jones was a rock in midfield, Valencia ran the RB ragged all night. 4 assists by the sublime Rooney. Stunning goal by Nani.
And everyone else did ok apart from De Gae who must have been pretty bored.

Final round will be interesting but no rest for United. Already qualified but must avoid defeat to win the group. Shaktar will be desperate for a win needed to qualify and win the group.

4.45am alarm set for 6 I love insomnia :D :D :D

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 28, 2013, 7:28 am

score.jpg
Well huge actual result by United but still have work to do to finish the work in the Group.
Will be a battle between Shakhtar Donetsk & Leverkusen for the other promotion spot while Real Sociedad have been very disappointing.

Real continue on their way in Group B while any of the other sides can still qualify with them.

PSG have managed to dominate Group C while the second spot is on a knife edge between Olympiakos & Benfica

After having a bit of a shaky start Man City have come good. Realistically they were always chasing second with Bayern in their group. They have managed that comfortably with a game still to go.
Fixtures.jpg
Fixtures1.jpg

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » November 28, 2013, 8:18 am

Rampant,resurgent,revatalised.....hopefully this is the sign of things to come for United ! 8)
A great performance by Kagawa in his favoured position....a bit of a dilemma for Moyes now.....but surely must play him just behind the striker or strikers (if Van Persie is fit) in an attacking line up.
What Bayer Leverkeusen are doing second in the Bundesliga I dont know......Sunderland would have beat them easily last night.
So a special "Thanksgiving" day for us United fans today...... :D

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 28, 2013, 9:03 am

The "Joumins" must have been poor ............. the reports are saying that EVANS was unlucky not to get "man of the match" :lol:

Wonder what the "rampant resurgent revatalised" United will do against the "Mighty Spuds" at the weekend :-$

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » November 28, 2013, 10:17 am

Zidane wrote:Rampant,resurgent,revatalised.....hopefully this is the sign of things to come for United ! 8)
A great performance by Kagawa in his favoured position....a bit of a dilemma for Moyes now.....but surely must play him just behind the striker or strikers (if Van Persie is fit) in an attacking line up.
What Bayer Leverkeusen are doing second in the Bundesliga I dont know......Sunderland would have beat them easily last night.
So a special "Thanksgiving" day for us United fans today...... :D
In between jobs just watched the re run from the Manu u game BL WERE VERY POOR making Man U look overly GOOD .... now i know the reason for Zids 3 R's ... Sir Alex was in the crowd !!!

Rumour has it hes being talked out of retirement to take up the vacancy at ........ SCUNTHORPE ??

mash

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » November 28, 2013, 11:05 am

stattointhailand wrote:The "Joumins" must have been poor ............. the reports are saying that EVANS was unlucky not to get "man of the match" :lol:
There is no questioning the Germans were poor, but United have played against other poor teams this season and failed to perform. Uniteds biggest win in Europe since 1964, BL had won previous 8 at home in CL, lots n lots of lovely stats.
As a United fan the most pleasing thing was the attacking mentality not a thought of sitting back at 1 or 2 nil.

Evans for MoM not sure who won that one could be any from Giggs, kagawa, Valencia, Jones, Rooney and Evans.
I have said from the start of the season Evans should be Uniteds 1st choice center back, finally Moyes is listening.
Wonder what the "rampant resurgent revatalised" United will do against the "Mighty Spuds" at the weekend :-$
Hopefully the same thing Citeh did to them last weekend.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 28, 2013, 2:52 pm

Hopefully the same thing Citeh did to them last weekend.

What !!! Play in a Six - Nil Home Win :-k :lol: :-"

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » November 28, 2013, 7:39 pm

Macca wrote:...."but no rest for United"

So how else would YOU describe Utd's upcoming walk in the park , at White Hart Lane, this coming weekend \:D/ :D :lol:

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » November 28, 2013, 8:13 pm

mathusalah80 wrote:Macca wrote:...."but no rest for United"

So how else would YOU describe Utd's upcoming walk in the park , at White Hart Lane, this coming weekend \:D/ :D :lol:
AVBs last stand perhaps.

Depends what United turns up, one swallow doesn't make a summer, play like last night it'll be a super Sunday, play like we did in Wales then it's a different story.

ps. How is the cold? The thread has been lacking it's intellectual leadership the last few days

Return to “World Sports”