English Premier League 2013/14

General sports news and discussions.
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 17, 2013, 7:43 am

Well this is it, it all starts today.

It has to be a race between Citi & Chelsea for the title.
Citi having made the important signings, but with an untested Premiership manager.
But Chelsea have the special one back, but, in all honesty not a very special squad in many regards.
United have not improved the squad & no longer have the Fergie factor to drive them.
Arsenal talked another good fight, but failed in their attempts to bring anything to fruition.
Spurs have an unhappy Bale. He was single handedly responsible for everything good at the club last year..
Pool have an unhappy Suarez. He was responsible for a lot of goals last year but also all their problems!!
Fixtures.jpg
A new interesting season begins... :D

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 17, 2013, 8:01 am

It certainly should be an interesting season.I agree that the title should be between Chelsea and Manchester City.
As a United fan,I will be happy if we just make the top 4 and we could well see how Fergies influence over the years helped United win so many Premiership titles,now that he's gone.
True,Spurs have an unhappy Bale but they have made quite a few signings this summer.If he doesnt move by September 2 then I think Bales influence in the team will be minimal for the first couple of months but then he will be motivated by the January transfer window and will really start to play......same for Suarez and Rooney,possibly.
I quite fancy Spurs for a top 4 place with Arsenal and Liverpool aiming for the same....but will those two do it ?
For the relegation places its hard to look beyond Hull and Crystal Palace and the two NE teams,Newcastle and Sunderland,could well be struggling as well.
First match of the season,Liverpool v Stoke,kicks off at 6.45pm Thai time and should be comfortable for Mark Hughes in his first game as Stokes manager ! ;)

I saw our moderator completing his pre-season training around Nong Sim yesterday lunchtime and,dare I say it Bob,you look in better shape than Wayne Rooney !! 8)
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » August 17, 2013, 8:35 am

Best of luck to Mile Jedinak as he begins his EPL adventure with Chystal Palce this weekend. Long gone are the days of Stan Lazaridis, Harry Kewell, Mark Viduku, Robbie Slater, Lucas Niell, Tim Cahill and the great Bozza gracing the pitches of the EPL which detracts from interest here. But thanks to Mile I guess I am an honorary glazier for the next 10 months and hopefully longer.
Welcome back EPL, beats the **** out of staying up all night watching the Ashes. \:D/
Watch Me!!

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » August 17, 2013, 10:50 am

Whilst i agree with the resident UM "experts" predicting a Man C n Chelsea tussle tor the title ,,, mashes out the box team to suprise this season is ....Villa.... also Liverpool to do well IF they keep Suarez .

Mashes top 6 come next April .

1 Chelsea
2 Arsenal
3. Man C
4. Villa
5. Liverpool
6. Spurs

sorry to all Mn U fans but im going for a 7th - 10 th place finish .

As for relegation ... not easy as a lot o poor sides in the mix like Hull ,... my 3 for the drop are

Hull bottom by a mile.
second to bottom .. Stoke city
and the last spot for the drop goes to Everton .

mash

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » August 17, 2013, 10:59 am

Jesus did i blink
the english soccer is back already? :shock:
Barely had time to go get a Leo from the esky.
Oh well at least we will know the poms in thailand, they will be all parading the new club shirts and a freshly shaven head. :D

Man U to win again and spurs to challenge at some stage.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » August 17, 2013, 11:21 am

I hate to say it Crystal Palace my favourite for the drop, I have a soft spot for as I used to live in Croydon.

Manchester City to win the title, Chelsea have a world class midfield but need a pair of strikers that can get behind defenders. Ba looks like a Thunderbirds puppet where someone has cut half the strings. The left back Ryan Bertrand fills me with dread. Useless.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » August 17, 2013, 11:31 am

pienmash wrote:Whilst i agree with the resident UM "experts" predicting a Man C n Chelsea tussle tor the title ,,, mashes out the box team to suprise this season is ....Villa.... also Liverpool to do well IF they keep Suarez .

1 Chelsea
2 Arsenal
3. Man C
4. Villa
5. Liverpool
6. Spurs

sorry to all Mn U fans but im going for a 7th - 10 th place finish .

As for relegation ... not easy as a lot o poor sides in the mix like Hull ,... my 3 for the drop are

Hull bottom by a mile.
second to bottom .. Stoke city
and the last spot for the drop goes to Everton .

mash
Mashed............As EVER The Comedian........ [-X :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » August 17, 2013, 12:35 pm

I'd had my sanity questioned many times for following Palace. Most recently, for going to the hassle of changing my satellite provider so I can see them get possibly, should that be probably, get stuffed quite often. :lol:
I'll state the obvious that anything other than relegation will be viewed as a success. But I'm sure Palace fans will hope for some gutsy performances throughout, with some entertainment and ability thrown in and hopefully a few surprises along the way. [-o<

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » August 17, 2013, 12:40 pm

No joke here 474 ,,,, im going for the Toffees to struggle big time this season and go down on goal difference on the final day with West Brom surviing the place above .....

Palace n Cardiff will stay up IMO .

P88 ,,, I fancy Holloway to perform his magic and keep Palace up .... this is the same Palace that 2 seasons ago avoided relegation from the Championship at Scunnies cost ..... how things can change so quickly in the football world .

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 17, 2013, 1:45 pm

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 17, 2013, 1:52 pm

Top Ten

Chelsea
Arsenal
Man C
Man U
Swansea
Villa
Everton
West Ham
Liverpool
Tottenham

Relegated
Hull
Fulham

Toooooooo close to call (any one of 4 or 5 on the last day)

First manager sacked:- Martin Jol

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » August 17, 2013, 2:12 pm

With the likes of Bale, Rooney, Suarez, Fellaini Fabregras & DeFoeet al still 'floating' anyone of whom could complete the jigsaw of any number of teams, (and not being as brave as Messrs. Helm,Zidine & Statto), think I will wait until the transfer window closes before formulating and expressing my opinion. :? :-k ;)
Meantime, don't worry Bob, with or without Bale,our bet is still on that Spurs will NOT finish in the top four, not with the handicap of AVB as Manager, and his remarkable buys of Adebeyor, Sigurdson & Holtby apparently to be used by him to strike fear/terror into the hearts of opponents defenders. :roll: :-" :lol:

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 17, 2013, 4:37 pm

Well,with predictions like those below I'm not surprised you are finishing your username at the end of the month so as not to be taken to task at the end of the season ! [-(
pienmash wrote:

1 Chelsea
2 Arsenal........norfolk and chance
3. Man C
4. Villa........on the Old Speckled Hen early today,are we ?
5. Liverpool
6. Spurs

sorry to all Mn U fans but im going for a 7th - 10 th place finish ........surely not

Hull bottom by a mile.
second to bottom .. Stoke city......dont think so
and the last spot for the drop goes to Everton .......OK,fair enough :lol:

mash

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » August 17, 2013, 6:21 pm

Andy, Me thinks you've had Toooooooo Many bottles of Red Horse at THIS time of day too, Go & Have a Lie Down Old Boy !!!!

magpie73
udonmap.com

Post by magpie73 » August 17, 2013, 11:06 pm

nice to see the makem's start the season as they mean to go on getting beat and at the bottom half of the table di canio the saviour I think not if there's any makem's on here can you remind me of how much you's have spent pre season I like a laugh

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 17, 2013, 11:20 pm

score.jpg
score.jpg (8.59 KiB) Viewed 2128 times
Well certainly some interesting results already..

Pool just about par for the course start & both sides will be reasonably content with their efforts.
Villa straight out the blocks & maybe a bit of a fortunate penalty & having the Gunners reduced to 10, but a result few would have expected. I guess Gunner fans will be crying for Arsene's head by September before he miraculously turns them around again!!
Not a great start for the Toffees as they will have many far harder away games this season. Good for Norwich that they actually managed to score twice!!
Canio will disappear if it all goes pear shaped & he cannot blame anyone else. Fulham will like the points, but that is about all out of this game..
Ricky Lambert the man of the hour... The Saints needed a good start & this was it. The Baggies will need to do far better!!
Poor by Cardiff. They were the only new boys playing today but this will make them favourites for the drop. Never looked like scoring & all too easy for The Hammers...

Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » August 18, 2013, 1:35 am

Swansea 1-4 Manchester United :D
Did somebody really doubt the Champions? :lol:

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » August 18, 2013, 2:07 am

Early days Sven ......

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 18, 2013, 7:44 am

Good display by United, but against opponents who were rather made for them.
Swans looked very good for the first 30 minutes but then the boy wonder showed that the break has done nothing to diminish his form.
He looked a class apart as far as ball control & ability to turn & there were some very good players on the pitch. He is not perfect though & did miss a couple of chances as well.
Welbeck is starting to look an excellent foil for him as well & the ball does not always now spin away from him to opponents, although it was his defensive error that lead to the Swansea goal.
Vidic looked back to his best in defence & after a shaky start to his Premier League football De Gea now inspires confidence. There was little he could do about the goal but did everything else well.

Swansea will be disappointed with the start, but shouldn't be. Their desire to play attractive attacking football played into United's hands but you have to feel that not too many sides will come here & go away with points.
To the forward talent that is Michu they have added Bony & he looked another very good player indeed.

Today...
Fixtures.jpg
Fixtures.jpg (9.23 KiB) Viewed 2088 times
As the two other new boys get a chance to show their wares....tough games for both..

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 18, 2013, 10:21 am

Nice to see Danny Welbeck scoring a couple......he only managed one goal in the whole of last season.
The boy Robin continuing where he left off last time around.....with Chico in reserve who needs Rooney ? Cash in on him now.
Poor results for Sunderland and Arsenal but a great display by Villa.I do think they will do a lot better this season but I think the top half is realistic for them.....top 4,no way !
And Pompuis mate,Ricky Van Wolfswinkel,scored a great header to secure a draw for Norwich against Everton and leave 747man crunching the digestive biscuits in frustration !

Return to “World Sports”