Ashes tour down under 2013

General sports news and discussions.
Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » November 29, 2013, 4:28 pm

A brave declaration today by england in Alice Springs preventing Penesar and Rankin the chance to provide a decent score. Eng 7/212 dec. England declared trying to force a aussie wicket by end of play. Young aussies 0/16 after 10 overs.
Unfortunately for england it may not be a real test of their abilities as only the captain plays first class cricket. It is an up and coming team full of acadamy boys and fringe shield players. One hopefully to watch is the 16 yr old batsman Jake Doran from NSW and the aussie U/19 squad. Big wraps on this kid when he graduates to a higher level. Already played NSW 2nd elevens. But i am sure England will not go down without a fight.
Shame it is only a 2 day match, and good on England to agreeing to being in The Alice, it is certainly helping to promote cricket in the outback and the NT.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 29, 2013, 5:14 pm

good on England to agreeing to being in The Alice, it is certainly helping to promote cricket in the outback and the NT.[/quote]

Stress relief Barney ... a nice gesture by the big hearted English warriors , well those who can handle the pressure that is .

Apparently Jonathan Trott was seen out shopping with mummy yesterday reporters asked him how he felt about abandoning his bruised n battered team mates , his reply ...

Mummy mummy tell the nasty men to go away ... i want an an ice cream and i want it now !!!

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

downunder
udonmap.com

Post by downunder » November 29, 2013, 7:16 pm

Mash, you are very humble today, slagging your Country man, I think you are a Candidate to jump ship and get on the Aussies.If you do I can give you the words to Tie me Kangaroo Down Sport, Waltzing Matilda, signed photo of Rolf Harris, Have a spare aussie hat and Tshirt and an Aussie doggy coat for Bisto.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 29, 2013, 7:30 pm

downunder wrote:Mash, you are very humble today, slagging your Country man, I think you are a Candidate to jump ship and get on the Aussies.If you do I can give you the words to Tie me Kangaroo Down Sport, Waltzing Matilda, signed photo of Rolf Harris, Have a spare aussie hat and Tshirt and an Aussie doggy coat for Bisto.
I CAN ALREADY DO ALL THE THINGS YOU ASK mate ,,, but alas other attributes i posses mean theres no way i could ever be an Aussie ... i have dress sense , impeccable manners , i dont spit all over when speaking , never been to prison and i actually finished full time edumacation so i would obviously fail any Aussie nationalisation test miserably !!

BACK TO THE CRICKET , not humble just basic common , the touring England side a a shambles and way different to the one both mentally and phyically that whooped yer arses earlier this year .. cant see this shower winning buggar all even against these indigenous out back type ... tea n cucumber sarnies - no chance kangaroo burger and a stubbie more like .

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

downunder
udonmap.com

Post by downunder » November 30, 2013, 8:21 am

The early settlers to Australia were convicts from England, you could say in all earnestly THE FIRST LOT OF POMS TO LAND IN PARADISE, So when you well maheducated Englishmen put nonsense on Aussies you really are putting nonsense on yourselves. They were the lucky ones who were able to get away from the Slums and filth, when if became general knowledge of the splendor of the Penal Settlements the smart people began stealing everything just so they could get a free passage to THE LAND OF OZ.

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » November 30, 2013, 9:01 am

m getting stick off all the Sports Bar Aussies every visit .. and as Mcdonalds catch phrase goes IM LOVIN IT !! .. never seen wiggy Peter smile so much without suffering from flatulence (that means farting Downunder) , the bell is constantly being rung :lol: ...the fellas always like to thank me and my ancestors for giving them such vast amounts of iron ore , gold and those beautiful beaches ... in general a good atmos . I am also pleased the Aussies participate in the weekly footy sweep as it gets the pot up for me , my son or Statts to win every week - thanks guys !!

CERICKET - to be honest im not a real test cricket fan , like the one dayers limited overs etc ,,, but its plain that the Engish side sent over for the Ashes isnt up to scratch and will get a pasting , this series has got 5 zip written all over it im sorry to say .

God save OUR queen

mash ...

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » November 30, 2013, 1:50 pm

Heard on the radio that it was 38c degrees during the lunch interval at the tour match in Alice Springs. That means that it will probably pass 40c during the post lunch and afternoon sessions. Well done CA for cooking the guests before the second test and taking the game to the Territory.
In a more civilised time they would be playing a full strength Victorian Eleven at the MCG or NSW at the SCG and getting in some useful practise prior to Adelaide. Shame things have changed so much.
Watch Me!!

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » November 30, 2013, 3:41 pm

The CA Chairmans XI declared at 254-8,a lead of 42.
Englands most succesful bowlers were Swann 4-56 and Panesar 3-41.Of the 3 bowlers who most needed to make a good impression before the start of the second test,Rankin took 1-52,Finn 0-61 and Stokes 0-37. :(
England made 47-1 in their second innings as the game drifted to an inevitable draw,but still time for Root to shine as an opener by being out for 1 [-( Carberry was 37 not out and Ballance 8 not out at stumps.
Of the fringe players,only Ballance and,possibly,Bairstow enhanced their prospects of playing in the second test....Panesar did OK but not much chance he will feature in the series unless Swann gets injured,I reckon.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » November 30, 2013, 4:21 pm

They might play two spinners in Adelaide and gamble on winning the toss. Gonna be hard for either side to take twenty wickets on the new, drop in, road at the revamped venue and may be a chance for England to chase a win.
Am looking forward to seeing the new Adelaide Oval that has been updated to accomadate AFL crowds.
Watch Me!!

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » December 1, 2013, 12:11 am

Watched some of the highlights from the latest game,not good if the fast bowlers are struggling,can Aussies prepare all their tests wickets to be hard,fast and bouncy :-k 8)

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » December 1, 2013, 6:07 am

pompui wrote:Watched some of the highlights from the latest game,not good if the fast bowlers are struggling,can Aussies prepare all their tests wickets to be hard,fast and bouncy :-k 8)
It's a hot and dry place pomps. The wickets if well prepared are always hard, fast and bouncy. Should be good for all fast bowlers from both sides.
But then there is Adelaide. It will be hard and fast but not as bouncy generally. Could be England's chance. This morning I heard Ian Bell on the radio saying he would like to bat at 3 which is very positive. They should go for it. Same openers, Bell at three, Pieterson 4, Root 5, Prior 6, Bressnan 7, Broad 8, Swann 9, Anderson 10, Pannasar 11. That's their best chance for 20 wickets and they wanna be 1 - 1 going to Perth. Bring it on and attack and make it a great game.
Watch Me!!

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » December 1, 2013, 9:19 pm

Announcer sacked over Panesar comments......

The public address announcer at England's tour game against a Chairman's XI in Alice Springs was sacked at lunch on the second day of the game after making comments deemed "inappropriate" by Cricket Australia.

David Nixon, an ABC producer, was dismissed after an allegation reported by the Centralian Advocate that he had mimicked an Indian accent when announcing that Monty Panesar was coming on to bowl. Neither Panesar nor any of the England camp are understood to have heard the comments and the decision was taken entirely by Cricket Australia.

"Cricket Australia deemed the conduct of the PA announcer as inappropriate," a CA spokesman said. "So it was decided he would take no further part in the match."

Nixon's style raised some eyebrows on the first day of the tour match. When Joe Root, who later had to return to the hotel with a stomach upset, called for a drink while batting, Nixon commented: "Joe Root calls for another drink", in a sarcastic tone.

Minutes later, the umpires called for a drinks break and Nixon said: "Now it's time for everyone to have a drink - including Joe Root." When Root was dismissed shortly after, Nixon could not resist saying: "You can go and have another drink now, Joe."

Nixon also greeted the arrival of spinner Michael Beer into the attack by announcing "We're to have Beer before lunch."

Well that will do me!!!!

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » December 5, 2013, 9:54 am

Latest score in the second test in Adelaide.....Australia 71-1,Warner c Carberry b Broad 29.
Three delays because of rain,already,look like hampering Englands chances of levelling the series. 8)
Englands team: Cook,Carberry,Root,Pietersen,Bell,Stokes,Prior,Broad,Swann,Anderson,Panesar.....so,maybe a couple of surprises in the team selection ??
Wheres Bob this morning ? Not off to Cambodia again,I hope ! :D

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » December 5, 2013, 10:20 am

Thought about it Zid... :D
Am a busy boy today on non sports related matters (yes, there are some.. :D )
Attempting to upgrade my PC to Mint 16....bit like watching Boycott batting most of the time, with the odd hint of a Pietersen 'why the hell did he do that' thrown in for good measure... :D

I gather that they only included Panesar to knock the smug 'I can pick the England squad' expression off Clarke's face.. :D

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » December 5, 2013, 11:23 am

Good to see the english pick the Kiwi born in Stokes to keep up the multinational flavour. Bit like all the types of beer flavours available these days.

Aussies 1/143 and it looks like the pitch is as per predictions and a unfortunatelly a batsmen's paradise.
Reported rumour is if it is going to be a draw Clarke will bat for 5 days to tire the english out for Perth and keep his bowlers fresh.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » December 5, 2013, 11:52 am

Good double wicket breakthrough for england, anderson and swann take watson and rogers out. Just what england needed their 2 strike guys to come to the fore.
3/158
game on now.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » December 5, 2013, 11:56 am

Aussies on the ropes......Clarke just survives a confident appeal for caught behind. :-"

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » December 5, 2013, 3:09 pm

Australia 1st Innings 273 for 5 (91.0 overs)
I guess Australia are pleased enough with that.
Probably feel that 350 will put them in the box seat. Not especially rocketing forward given that this is supposedly a batsman's paradise.
Rather a defensive bowling line up by England, utilising 2 spinners on day 1 can't happen often outside India :D
Anderson back to his meagre best, nearly 50% of a first days' bowling overs in maidens, is always going to make life tough for the opposition.

However a swift 100 tomorrow & England could be following on in Day 3... :D

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 5, 2013, 4:32 pm

If we can "mop up the tail" ?????? for about 20 or 30 in the morning, and Cookie can get a half century, then MAY BE we can just about avoid the follow on :lol:

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » December 5, 2013, 5:05 pm

BobHelm wrote:
Australia 1st Innings 273 for 5 (91.0 overs)
I guess Australia are pleased enough with that.
Probably feel that 350 will put them in the box seat. Not especially rocketing forward given that this is supposedly a batsman's paradise.
Rather a defensive bowling line up by England, utilising 2 spinners on day 1 can't happen often outside India :D
Anderson back to his meagre best, nearly 50% of a first days' bowling overs in maidens, is always going to make life tough for the opposition.

However a swift 100 tomorrow & England could be following on in Day 3... :D

The meagre and accurate bowling is fine as long as wickets are falling at the other end. England usually rely on swann recently to do that. That was the cornerstone of the GOOD aussie side when Mcgrath would hold em down with a strangle hold and the other bowlers would get wickets in particular a bloke called warney. Their eyes would light up when he came on thinking about belting him out of the park. The other trait of that good historic era was that it was very very difficult to get us all out twice. Something both these team find difficulty in doing, that is, not losing 20 wickets a game.
Good days play and England had advantage of serve but final points by a wisker I think went to australia.

Return to “World Sports”