World Cup Finals,Brazil 2014

General sports news and discussions.
socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » May 31, 2014, 5:15 am

GT93 wrote:I think they need Taggart to look at that Nigerian goalie socksy.
They need a shrink to examine the designer who came up with that change strip worn by Scotland players against Nigeria. Looks like technicolour yawn.

Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » May 31, 2014, 8:15 am

More pre World Cup friendlies played.....
England 3 Peru 0 ; Spain 2 Bolivia 0 ; Honduras 0 Turkey 2 ; Iran 1 Angola 1 ;
Switzerland 1 Jamaica 0 ; Mexico 3 Israel 0 ; Cameroon 1 Paraguay 2 ;

Some latest scores...Uruguay 1 N.Ireland 0 (81 mins) ; Bosnia & Herzegovina 1 Ivory Coast 0 ;
Chile 0 Egypt 2 ;

England had a comfortable win over Peru with goals from Sturridge,Cahill and Jagielka but keeper,Hart,had to make a couple of top class saves in the first half as Peru threatened.As well as Hart,the star men for England were Sturridge and Lallana.
Worrying is the form of Glen Johnson at right back....good going forward but lacking defensively and,hopefully,a place will be found in the starting line up for Sterling.
England now fly to Miami for friendlies against Honduras and Ecuador before starting their World Cup campaign against Italy on 14th June.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 31, 2014, 8:39 am

85000 bums on seats. Very good turnout. Must have been a non pub quiz night.

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » May 31, 2014, 8:45 am

Here is how a writer from the BBC rated the England players performances for what it's worth.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27640484
Alba gu bràth

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 31, 2014, 1:33 pm

socksy wrote:
GT93 wrote:I think they need Taggart to look at that Nigerian goalie socksy.
They need a shrink to examine the designer who came up with that change strip worn by Scotland players against Nigeria. Looks like technicolour yawn.
Have to agree on the new Scotland shirt ....but dont worry Socksy .....the new strip wont be seen by many , well at major tournaments that is !!.
socksy wrote:Here is how a writer from the BBC rated the England players performances for what it's worth.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27640484
I hope this isnt gonna be Woys first choice 11 ,,, tho well done to Engerland decent result big turn out against Peru , only a friendly and things will be a whole lot different against the Italians ..

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » June 1, 2014, 9:16 am

Bad luck for Italian midfielder,Riccardo Montolivo,who will miss the World Cup Finals after being carried off with a broken leg after just 8 minutes in Italys 0-0 draw with the Republic of Ireland at Craven Cottage.
The AC Milan player,winning his 58th cap,was carried off on a stretcher following a tackle from Readings Alex Pearce.
Montolivo was replaced by former Liverpool player,Alberto Aquilani,who himself went off at half time after complaining of dizziness......temperatures in London rocketed to 20c yesterday !

Spain have left out Manchester city stars Alvero Negredo and Jesus Navas from their 23 man squad for Brazil but Fernando Torres is included ! :shock:

Edinho,the 43 year old son of football legend Pele,has been sentenced to 33 years in prison for laundering money made from drug trafficking.The ruling was made by a judge in Praia Grande,a coastal town in Sao Paolo state.

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » June 1, 2014, 9:23 am

The inclusion of Torres will enhance Spain's chances of a win. Not. I see there a few EPL players in the Dutch squad just announced yesterday.
Alba gu bràth

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 1, 2014, 10:08 am

socksy wrote:The inclusion of Torres will enhance Spain's chances of a win. Not. I see there a few EPL players in the Dutch squad just announced yesterday.
At least he remembered to MISS the goalie (just) when taking a penalty :-"

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 1, 2014, 10:25 am

[quote="Edinho,the 43 year old son of football legend Pele,has been sentenced to 33 years in prison for laundering money made from drug trafficking.The ruling was made by a judge in Praia Grande,a coastal town in Sao Paolo state.[/quote]

Holy smoke, that's a harsh sentence. Life could have been far worse than being Pele's son. That would have opened a few doors including bedroom doors. Bloody fool. Unless the Brazilian criminal justice system is similar to Thailand's he isn't going to be sitting next to dad at any of the games.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 1, 2014, 10:37 am

A Cristiano Ronaldo-less Portugal drew 0-0 with a resolute Greece side in a turgid World Cup warm-up match at the Estadio Nacional.

Neither side mustered much by way of goal-scoring opportunities while injuries to Sokratis Papastathopoulos and Wiliam Carvalho will have both managers sweating.

The Greece defender went down in the first half as he jarred his knee upon landing from a header while the highly-coveted Portuguese fell late in the second half as he passed the ball to a teammate.

Eder had the best chance in the first minute when his header from a Nani cross was saved by Orestis Karnezis.

Both managers will be disappointed with the lack of intensity and the injuries picked up by key players.

And both managers will continue to arrange meaningless friendlies that will let them teach their players how to play football.
Shouldn't they already know how to play football before being picked?
Why do they need to get to know each other ....... If they are doing the job they are paid millions to do, it shouldn't matter a t*ss whether it's Joe Bloggs or Fred Nerk playing next to them ..... just imagine the manager of Barclays Bank saying sorry we have to close today to allow the new guy on till 4 to get to know the rest of the team even though he has worked till 4 in several other branches :-"

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » June 1, 2014, 12:37 pm

I think there will be many World Cup commentators hoping Sokratis Papastathopoulos doesnt regain full fitness in time for the start of the tournament ! 8)

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 1, 2014, 1:37 pm

Zidane wrote:I think there will be many World Cup commentators hoping Sokratis Papastathopoulos doesnt regain full fitness in time for the start of the tournament ! 8)
Hasn't he got a restaurant in Udon? :-k

oh sorry, that was Socrates Papasjustopttatheloo :lol:

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » June 1, 2014, 1:50 pm

any info on what channels the matches would be viewable free or not ? , they talking about sunbox is giving all the matches viewable for free , but according to a post in bangkok post nobody will be able to view tru the free channels in thailand? ... :?

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » June 1, 2014, 3:20 pm

Thailands broadcasting regulator has stated that all 64 World Cup matches must be shown on free TV.
This ruling came as a blow to the Thai pay channel RS Inc.who proposed only 22 matches should be shown on free TV with the remaining matches only available via their Pay TV platform.
So look out for the usual Thai TV channels broadcasting......3,5,7,9 etc.
The commentary will be in Thai and incomprehensible.....similar to listening to Andy Gray on Sky,really.
Note for fans of England and Australia : be sure to watch your 3 group games between Friday,13th June and Tuesday,24th June......after that it could be too late !
Australia v Chile.....Friday 13th.....is that a bad omen or what ?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 1, 2014, 3:45 pm

You mean "Aw Haaaaw" we have to "Aw Haaaaaaaw" listen to the Thai "Aw Haaaaaaaaaw" commentators during the whole tourny Zid ...........

Think I'll just pretend David Pleat is commentating and have the sound turned off :-$

I think Omen went out in the qualifiers Zid :-"

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 2, 2014, 1:57 am

FIFA makes corrupt third world governments look pretty good. The Qatar decision looks more than just a cesspit. It's a shame Mohamed bin Hamman didn't throw a lavish party in Udon. That would have been the social event of the year. Full of hi so Thais and desperate to gate-crash farang.

I have a hunch Qatar might be stripped of the World Cup. If not the corruption details are going to be coming out in dribs and drabs for years.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » June 2, 2014, 2:07 am

GT93 wrote:and desperate to gate-crash farang.
You mean the balloon chasers, old bean. Plenty of those in Udon when there's free food and pop to be had.

But back on topic, me old china plate, who in the world would endorse a World Cup tournament in Qatar during June and July?

The Buffoon, Blatter, has already mooted the idea of changing the dates, see the Huffington Post* link below. :roll:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/1 ... 36136.html

* Izzie doesn't read the Huffington Post, readers.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » June 2, 2014, 6:09 am

"The commentary will be in Thai and incomprehensible.....similar to listening to Andy Gray on Sky,really".

If that's the case Zid I will be practicing playing darts at the TV with bricks. He's suck a pr**k
Alba gu bràth

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » June 2, 2014, 8:29 am

England flew out to Miami yesterday and will play two friendlies against Honduras and Ecuador before flying to Brazil.
Conditions in Miami are hot and humid with violent thunderstorms,similar to the jungle city of Manaus in Brazil where England start their campaign with a match against Italy on June 14th.
Manager,Roy Hodgson,will name his final 23 man squad today and,with their being no injury worries,its not expected that there will be any surprise omissions.
England leave for Miami.jpg
More friendlies last night.....
USA 2 Turkey 1 ; Germany 2 Cameroon 2 ; Sweden 0 Belgium 2 ; France 1 Paraguay 1 ;

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » June 2, 2014, 11:52 am

Zid prior to this photo there are good images on this link.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/01/busted-co ... r-4746381/
Alba gu bràth

Return to “World Sports”