World Cup Finals,Brazil 2014

General sports news and discussions.
Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 9, 2014, 2:36 pm

One BBC wag said, 'Portugal has Renaldo, Argentina has Messi, Uruguay has Suarez...Germany has a team.'

You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » July 10, 2014, 3:55 am

Half Time : The Netherlands 0 Argentina 0.
A dire game,up to now.The highlight of the first half was when the TV camera panned on to two pretty Argentinian girl fans around 35 minutes.
Even our Persian cat,who has been my companion for quite a few of these early morning kick offs has gone out to fall asleep on top of the washing machine.I might join him if things dont improve in the second half ! =;
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » July 10, 2014, 3:59 am

Zidane wrote:Half Time : The Netherlands 0 Argentina 0.
A dire game,up to now.The highlight of the first half was when the TV camera panned on to two pretty Argentinian girl fans around 35 minutes.
Even our Persian cat,who has been my companion for quite a few of these early morning kick offs has gone out to fall asleep on top of the washing machine.I might join him if things dont improve in the second half ! =;
Couldn't agree more Zid. This time yesterday I was buzzing and could have pulled on the boots meself. Today struggling to keep me eyes on the tele.
Watch Me!!

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » July 10, 2014, 5:22 am

It's 10.20 am in NZ. The Dutch restaurant next to my office is packed and has been very quiet. If I wasn't watching the score occasionally on the internet I'd know it was still nil all.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » July 10, 2014, 5:51 am

Full time: The Netherlands 0 Argentina 0 (Argentina win 4-2 on penalties)
A truly awful game.There were no highlights whatsoever in the 120 minutes of actual play. :(
We might as well have had another two and a half hours in bed before switching on for the penalty shootout.....

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » July 10, 2014, 5:58 am

And even the shootout was boring. Hope the German's bring their A game to the final and give us another show, the Argies and the Messi(ah) would want to lift a few levels to even make it a game.
Watch Me!!

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » July 10, 2014, 6:41 am

I woke up early to take in the first half. Piss poor so I went back to sleep with the TV on hoping to be wakened by an excited commentator in the second and extra time but to no avail. Watched the penalties and wondered why Van Gaal never done the same substitution with the keeper as the previous game. I felt the one playing could have done better at a couple of Argie penalties, one of which he got a hand to.
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » July 10, 2014, 9:39 am

Van Gaal had made his 3 substitutions,socksy,which is why Krul couldnt come on.Cillesen should certainly have done better with the last penalty.
The game was so desperate that after an hour I was hoping a public announcement from the NCPO would come on,useing up about 45 minutes of time wasted watching this match ! :(

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » July 10, 2014, 9:56 am

Oh yes Zid I must have missed that fact when I feel asleep after the first half. Maybe with neither team looking like scoring Van Gal should have foreseen a penalty shootout and saved one of the subs slots for Krul. I thought Cillesen was slow going down to the penalty inside his right post as well.
Alba gu bràth

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 10, 2014, 10:03 am

Indeed a terrible game and a tadge different to the previous semi .......... im praying for a Germany WC win AND AN EXITING FINAL .. tho i can see the Argies nicking it with some Messi magic 1-0 (or POSSIBLY pens AGAIN) .

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » July 10, 2014, 10:34 am

last Cup I was in Udon wopwop's struggling to see a game because of the Thai Tv balls up, now this time I am down in the South Pacific, and is nice to sleep in, have breakfast, then watch the 8.00am kickoff..

the Jerries have the right idea..get off to a good start, shots on early, nab a goal or two, and force the others to chase..hope they continue with that approach in the final..

Martyn
udonmap.com

Post by Martyn » July 10, 2014, 12:48 pm

Tim Krul would definitely have put a psychological bullet into the heads of the Argentina penalty takers but that said, you reap what you sow, and Holland's attacking play just didn't get bums off seats.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 10, 2014, 4:09 pm

GT93 wrote:
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
thaiguzzi wrote: what happened to all those great goalscorers of the 70's and 80's; the best goals i ever saw were Brazil from those periods.
They grew older and slower and could not make the team.
Nice. :D And some of them have probably really let themselves go as per the two photos Bob Helm posted earlier. They now wouldn't look out of place in a wife beater singlet with the other dodgy characters so common in the less reputable parts of Bangkok. Some of them might be enjoying the World Cup from a bar stool in Nana Plaza or its equivalent in Brazil.
I remember now. The poster was the Mighty Chang and the name he came up with for these people was, 'seed lords'.

Happily there was a baseball game - Yankees vs. Indians - right after that pedestrian semi-final to hold one's attention.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 11, 2014, 4:48 pm

Neymar's agent has launched a scathing attack on Brazil manager Luiz Felipe Scolari following the humiliating 7-1 defeat by Germany in the World Cup semi-final, calling him "an old jerk, repulsive and conceited".

Don't you just wish that sometimes these people would just get "off the fence" and say what they really mean :lol:

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » July 12, 2014, 7:53 am

stattointhailand wrote:Neymar's agent has launched a scathing attack on Brazil manager Luiz Felipe Scolari following the humiliating 7-1 defeat by Germany in the World Cup semi-final, calling him "an old jerk, repulsive and conceited".

Don't you just wish that sometimes these people would just get "off the fence" and say what they really mean :lol:
Probably trying to distract the attention from the nonsense players in their squad who didn't even play as good as nonsense.
Alba gu bràth

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » July 12, 2014, 9:45 am

Dont forget tonight its the match nobody wants to play and nobody wants to watch !
Brazil v The Netherlands,3am Thai time,to decide 3rd and 4th place.

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » July 13, 2014, 2:56 am

I will watch most of the match Zid.expecting loads of goals and diving :D

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » July 13, 2014, 3:03 am

Touch on Robbens shoulder was outside the area,theatrically fell in the box,penalty.WTF :shock:

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » July 13, 2014, 8:36 am

Well done to pomps for staying up to watch the game ! 8)
The final score was Brazil 0 The Netherlands 3.....the first time Brazil have lost back to back home games since 1940.
Both the team and Scolari were booed off at the end.Lucky for Brazil that The Netherlands werent really interested in playing the game,I guess ! ;)

Tonight sees the climax of the tournament with the final between Argentina and Germany kicking off at 2am Thai time.
Germany must start as the favourites but you can never discount a team that has the likes of Messi,Di Maria,Higuain and Aguero in it.I'm just hoping for an early goal so we dont have to endure a re-run of the nightmare that was Argentina v The Netherlands.
So,after 32 days and 64 games that will be it.....no more staying up till 11pm or 2am or getting up at 3am or 5am.
It will seem strange going to bed at 11pm and sleeping through till 7am the next day....something I've only done on a handful of days in the last month or so.
Just one last effort to stay up and watch the final......lets hope its a cracker....enjoy !

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » July 13, 2014, 10:17 am

Very civilized times in NZ. I was watching a bit of this morning's game while I was on a rowing machine at the gym about 9 am in NZ. A predictable result. Brazil aren't up to it in 2014.

I have been reading a number of very highly paid players who are supposed to be fantastic in Europe didn't measure up in Brazil. Quite a few seemed to be from Real Madrid. Maybe they aren't hungry enough?
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Return to “World Sports”