World Cup for Cricket

General sports news and discussions.
GT93
udonmap.com

World Cup for Cricket

Post by GT93 » March 24, 2015, 11:09 am

Weather conditions 10 kms north of Eden Park: dark clouds to the west but it doesn't look too serious here. Blue sky to the north. They'd still be playing if the game was in my neighbourhood. Just some spitting rather than rain.

Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Zidane
udonmap.com

World Cup for Cricket

Post by Zidane » March 24, 2015, 11:32 am

New Zealand will be happy for the rain as the game seemed to be slipping away from them.....even better if its prolonged rain and leads to a 20 overs per side thrash tomorrow ?
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

GT93
udonmap.com

World Cup for Cricket

Post by GT93 » March 24, 2015, 11:57 am

Heavy rain in my neighbourhood now. No blue sky to the north. You'd get drenched walking 5 metres in this rain.

Yep, a 20 over bash might be NZ's best chance now.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

World Cup for Cricket

Post by BobHelm » March 24, 2015, 12:02 pm

We've passed the hour mark in terms of how long the players have been off at Eden Park. If they've not done already, I'd suggest they must be losing overs now.

If this isn't confusing... if they can get a 20-over game in today (ie South Africa's innings would be over, and New Zealand would face a revised target to chase from 20 overs), they will. But if not even 20 more overs are possible, we'll all be back tomorrow - when the game will resume as normal with SA's 39th over. Clear?
"There's a rumour going around that, if the game is reduced to 20 overs, New Zealand would chase 167. They'd bite your hand off for that. Shades of Sydney 1992 for South Africa?"
From the BBC.
To reduce it to 20 overs & requiring 167 would be a travesty for South Africa...

Barney
udonmap.com

World Cup for Cricket

Post by Barney » March 24, 2015, 12:20 pm

The overs are reducing now after 1 hour of stoppage. Will just keep going down with time 50 till 20.

My understanding as an example is if they get to 38overs with SA not batting again and it then clears up then NZ will be chasing 217 off 38.

Disappointment all round at the moment as a spectacle.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

World Cup for Cricket

Post by BobHelm » March 24, 2015, 12:29 pm

News...
05:27

Restart in 20 minutes' time - match reduced to 43 overs per side.

Barney
udonmap.com

World Cup for Cricket

Post by Barney » March 24, 2015, 12:34 pm

BobHelm wrote:News...
05:27

Restart in 20 minutes' time - match reduced to 43 overs per side.

Additional info to Bob's report on overs to play

6.27pm Hearing that game resumes at 6.45pm. Reduced to 43 overs a side. Five overs to go. Southee can bowl two, Henry one. Anderson and friends will have to bowl the remaining two. And only one over of Powerplay left

wayneor0
udonmap.com

World Cup for Cricket

Post by wayneor0 » March 24, 2015, 1:00 pm

sa flogging kiwi bowlers [-o<

marjamlew
udonmap.com

World Cup for Cricket

Post by marjamlew » March 24, 2015, 1:26 pm

about 100 too many for the kiwis.......
Watch Me!!

Barney
udonmap.com

World Cup for Cricket

Post by Barney » March 24, 2015, 5:02 pm

Un-f,,,,n believable, what a finish 5 to win 2 balls to go and bang a 6

Well done Kiwis

marjamlew
udonmap.com

World Cup for Cricket

Post by marjamlew » March 24, 2015, 5:08 pm

Barney wrote:Un-f,,,,n believable, what a finish 5 to win 2 balls to go and bang a 6

Well done Kiwis
Agree Barney. I was only out by 100. Wonderful game of cricket and great finish. Well done kiwis and so stiff the Africans - rain cost them. Hope the next semi is just as exciting - as long as the Aussies win :D
Watch Me!!

Zidane
udonmap.com

World Cup for Cricket

Post by Zidane » March 24, 2015, 8:41 pm

When New Zealand slipped to 149-4 I thought that was it.....even with 2 overs to go I still thought South Africa would win......but excellent cricket by Elliott,in particular and Anderson meant the Kiwis always stayed in contention.
So congrats to New Zealand but bad luck to South Africa who would have scored 350+ if they had been allowed to bat for the full 50 overs.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

wayneor0
udonmap.com

World Cup for Cricket

Post by wayneor0 » March 25, 2015, 2:20 am

WOW great game :-" :-"

GT93
udonmap.com

World Cup for Cricket

Post by GT93 » March 25, 2015, 5:07 am

555+

I gave up listening, partly because I thought the rain would return and ruin the game.

I was washing my windows at work early this morning and to my surprise heard on the radio the news that the mighty Black Caps had won. I'll take these back door wins any day of the week; not forgetting, of course, that Mrs. Abbott bolted in the front door. Hopefully only Mrs. Abbott will be at final at the MCG and there's no need for Mr. Abbott to be there!

Barney
udonmap.com

World Cup for Cricket

Post by Barney » March 26, 2015, 8:08 am

So people know where I stand on a certain styles of play and antics used on the cricket field to purvey ones certain feeling to the opposition individuals, I hope that today's fixture is not like the love-in and hugging competition that we had to witness a few days ago between grown men of all things. Thought it was an end to a netball game. Not a nasty word was spoken. [-X
Are there any Indians on this forum that a friendly sledge can be aimed at early? :D

By the way good luck aussies.

GT93
udonmap.com

World Cup for Cricket

Post by GT93 » March 26, 2015, 9:13 am

I think you'll find there are more than a few posters hoping the Indians get the better of the home team today Barney. Feel free to extend your sledging to us. :D

marjamlew
udonmap.com

World Cup for Cricket

Post by marjamlew » March 26, 2015, 9:21 am

My Foxtel cable TV box ---- itself yesterday afternoon so there was a fair bit of sledging going on between me and the Indian fella at the Foxtel call centre. He, alas, had the last laugh as the new box will not arrive for the game today (it will in fact arrive between 2 and 7 business days so might not even get the final!!!!) so I will not be watching from the comfort of my own lounge room. As I have already cracked the shits I say let the sledging begin and may the best team of cricketers win. :confused:
Watch Me!!

GT93
udonmap.com

World Cup for Cricket

Post by GT93 » March 26, 2015, 9:27 am

Hopefully you won't need the new box for the final marjamlew and hopefully none of the players have problems with their boxes today.

The Aussie lads will be pumped up for this one. They have probably just had a couple of raw onions for breakfast on the advice of Mr. Abbott.

GT93
udonmap.com

World Cup for Cricket

Post by GT93 » March 26, 2015, 10:43 am

Australia batting. 15/0.

Does Earnie's handsome devil read this thread? He'll know who he is. :D

Perhaps some of our Australian friends can advise us if the SCG is large enough to constitute a real cricket ground? The cricket junkies amongst us might be able to advise if there are maximum and minimum sizes for international cricket grounds.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

World Cup for Cricket

Post by BobHelm » March 26, 2015, 10:52 am

A cricket field consists of a large circular or oval-shaped grassy ground on which the game of cricket is played. There are no fixed dimensions for the field but its diameter usually varies between 450 feet (137 m) and 500 feet (150 m). Cricket is unusual among major sports (along with Australian rules football and baseball) in that there is no official rule for a fixed-shape ground for professional games. The cricket ground can vary from being almost a perfect circle, to being an extremely elongated oval. On most grounds, a rope demarcates the perimeter of the field and is known as the boundary. A cricket pitch is 22 yards long.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket_field

Also from the same article...
The ICC Standard Playing Conditions define the minimum and maximum size of the playing surface for international matches. Law 19.1 of ICC Test Match Playing Conditions states:

"The playing area shall be a minimum of 150 yards (137.16 metres) from boundary to boundary square of the pitch, with the shorter of the two square boundaries being a minimum 65 yards (59.43 metres). The straight boundary at both ends of the pitch shall be a minimum of 70 yards (64.00 metres). Distances shall be measured from the centre of the pitch to be used. In all cases the aim shall be to provide the largest playing area, subject to no boundary exceeding 90 yards (82.29 meters) from the centre of the pitch to be used. "[1]
BUT....
The conditions contain a grandfather clause, which exempts stadiums built before October 2007. However, most stadiums which regularly host international games easily meet the minimum dimensions.
&
It is worth noting that based on these guidelines, a cricket field must have at least 16,000 square yards ((150+3+3)/2*(70+70+3+3-22/2)/2*pi) of grass area. A more realistic test-match stadium would have more than 20,000 square yards of grass (having a straight boundary of about 80m).[2] In contrast an association football field needs only about 9,000 square yards of grass, and an Olympic stadium would contain 13,500 square yards of grass within its 400m running track, making it impossible to play international cricket matches unless the stadium was specifically built for cricket. However the Stadium Australia which hosted the Sydney Olympics in 2000 had its running track turfed over and 30,000 seats removed to make it possible to play cricket in the stadium, at a cost of A$80 million.[3] This is one of the reasons cricket games generally cannot be hosted outside the traditional cricket playing countries, and a few non-test nations like Canada, the UAE, and Kenya that have built test-match standard stadiums.
Australia 21 for 1 off 4

Return to “World Sports”