Grass Roots Footie 2015/16 (everything except EPL)

General sports news and discussions.
Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » July 28, 2015, 12:11 pm

As the new season approaches,I have decided to open a new thread for 2015/16 rather than keep last seasons running.
Anyone is welcome to post on here about the footie as long as its not about the English Premier League,which is in another topic.
So if you support any of the Football League clubs,Scottish clubs,non-league clubs,foreign clubs etc.feel free to post about them on this thread.
Heres an update of our featured sides,so far.....

SCUNTHORPE UNITED
Scunthorpe have been very busy in the transfer market pre-season and manager,Mark Robins,has added 10 new faces to the squad including 3 who were regulars in promoted Preston NE's side last season.Hopes are high that The Iron will be making a concerted push for promotion to the Championship this time around.

CHELTENHAM TOWN
Cheltenham were relegated from the Football League last season and its been a time of cost cutting at Whaddon Road.
Many departures and 11 new faces signed by experienced manager,Gary Johnson,who has had success at this level before with Yeovil.Doubtful if they will be strong enough to gain automatic promotion back to the Football League but a chance of making the play offs.

MACCLESFIELD TOWN
With one of the smallest budgets in the Conference,Macclesfield had an excellent season last time around coming 6th.
Although they have retained quite a few of last years squad,several of the higher rated players have left including keeper,Rhys Taylor,who was regarded as the "David de Gea of the Conference" and has joined League 2,Newport County.There are half a dozen new faces but Macc seem to lack firepower up front and may have to be satisfied with mid-table this season.

GLASGOW RANGERS
Rangers pulled off a major coup when they managed to persuade Mark Warburton and David Weir to become the new management team at Ibrox.This pair had major success at little Brentford getting them promotion from League 1 and making the Championship play offs last season.It was amazing that Brentfords owner allowed them to leave as he wanted "a change of direction for the club."
Pre-season has seen several good quality signings by the 'Gers with maybe the best,Scott Allan from Hibs,still to come.
Warburton and Weir look to have assembled a squad capable of winning the Scottish Championship quite easily and the club can look forward to renewing hostilities with Glasgow Celtic in the Premiership in the 2016/17 season.

Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » July 28, 2015, 1:57 pm

Thanks Zids. This must be one of the threads where we can wide up socksy. I have to do a bit of reading to come up to speed to be able to do that well. You'll have to lead for now as my reading is currently focusing on England's EPL People's Club.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 1, 2015, 6:11 pm

The new season of the Scottish Premiership kicks off today with defending champions Celtic hosting Ross County at 6.45pm Thai time.
The rest of the Scottish leagues start next weekend.
Three other Scottish Premiership matches today which kick off at 9pm Thai time.......Hamilton v Partick Thistle,Inverness CT v Motherwell and Kilmarnock v Dundee.
Tomorrow,Hearts v St.Johnstone (6.30pm Thai) and Dundee United v Aberdeen (9.30pm Thai).

Hard to see anyone but Celtic winning the title.....Aberdeen probably 2nd.....Hamilton looking a good bet for relegation,imo.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 3, 2015, 4:49 pm

First big Cup competition regional groupings have been announced!!!
Football League Trophy
LC.jpg

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 4, 2015, 8:18 am

Tired of the Thai wife or girlfriend always asking for more gold or a new Mercedes just to get one up on the neighbours ??
Then try something different......something that will keep her quiet for quite a while.....
BUY HER A GREEK ISLAND !.......yes,thats right !......there are several for sale and one costing as little as 3m euros !
Cristiano Ronaldo just bought his agent one as a wedding present ! :shock:

Ronaldo 'gives football agent Mendes Greek island'

The multi-millionaire Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo has given his agent Jorge Mendes a Greek island as a wedding present, media reports say.
The island has not been named but the price tag could run into the millions, reports say.
Spain's Mundo Deportivo website says Ronaldo knows the Greek islands well from holidays.
Mr Mendes married his partner Sandra in Portugal on Sunday. Sir Alex Ferguson was among the celebrities there.
The former Manchester United manager signed Ronaldo in 2003 and the Portuguese forward - one of the world's best players - stayed at the Old Trafford club until 2009.
He acted as best man for Mr Mendes, 49, who is one of football's most successful agents and runs a business called Gestifute for developing top football talent.
At least a dozen Greek islands are up for sale. On the website Private Islands Online one island is going for just €3m.
The celebrity wedding took place in an exclusive residential area of Porto. Mr Mendes and Sandra Barbosa have three children and they have been in a civil partnership since 2005.
Some top footballers from Spain and Portugal were there, along with Real Madrid President Florentino Perez, Benfica President Luis Filipe Vieira and Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich.
According to Spain's ABC news website, Mr Mendes is one of Portugal's richest men, with a €100m fortune.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 4, 2015, 8:24 am

Zidane wrote:According to Spain's ABC news website, Mr Mendes is one of Portugal's richest men, with a €100m fortune.
& I guess the set of kitchen knives was already taken off the list by someone else. (Sir A. if he bought anything, other than a good bottle of red to consume.. :D )

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 5, 2015, 10:35 am

Cheltenham Town - "a team of strangers" (BBC Sport)
Cheltenham Town new signings.jpg
Cheltenham Town: Gary Johnson on his 14 new signings

Cheltenham Town head into the new campaign with the possibility of fielding a team of strangers after a summer clearout at Whaddon Road.
A pre-season friendly against Sheffield United saw a team of fresh faces - and 14 in total have been snapped up for their National League campaign.
Just nine players remain of the squad that were relegated from League Two.
"It was a massive challenge," Cheltenham Town manager Gary Johnson told BBC Points West.
Among those new players is defender George McLennan, who admitted he has been taken aback by how quickly the squad has gelled.
"I arrived a couple of days after most of the lads and I didn't realise they'd signed so many players, because I thought they were all the old players talking to each other," McLennan told BBC Gloucestershire.
"They seemed like they'd known each other ages. It was kind of surreal. It felt like I was coming into a team that had been together for 10 years."
Johnson said change was needed after a disappointing campaign which saw the club lose their Football League status, and it has understandably been a hectic summer.
"Relegation brings change," he said. "I've been very pleased with the group I've brought in.
"They've gelled very quickly and also they have promoted themselves very quickly to the supporters through social media and by the way they have played in pre-season.
"It was a massive challenge. You sit at home during the close season and you pick individuals out in your head but you have to believe you can turn them into a team.
"What you dream is of round pegs in round holes playing the game you want, but that is not easy.
"They look to be the right personality and character, they seem to be ambitious and enjoying themselves. This group want to do well."
And despite the huge turnover at Whaddon Road, Johnson says the club cannot afford a season of consolidation.
"The brief is promotion," =; he said. "That is pressure but that has given us focus.
"We cannot consolidate for 108 years like Yeovil had to. We've got to do it right now."

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 8, 2015, 9:46 am

The English Championship got underway last night with Brighton gaining a 1-0 win over Nottingham Forest.....League 1,League 2 and the National League (Conference) start today.
Rangers had a comfortable 3-1 victory over St.Mirren in the Scottish Championship last night in front of a crowd of 49,216 (wheres socksy,is he back in the UK ?)....Scottish leagues 1 and 2 start today.

Matches to look out for this weekend....
Burton Albion v Scunthorpe United
Lincoln City v Cheltenham Town
Torquay United v Macclesfield Town
Leeds United v Burnley

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » August 8, 2015, 4:34 pm

A bumper crowd expected at Burton today as the new look Iron visit along with the usual 2-3 THOUSAND followers ,, fingers crossed for a good start for Scunny and good luck to all (except Grimesby) .

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 9, 2015, 11:12 am

Well,a disappointing set of opening day results although Cheltenham did get an away draw.....

Burton Albion 2 Scunthorpe United 1
Lincoln City 1 Cheltenham Town 1
Torquay United 1 Macclesfield Town 0

The most bizarre incident of the day came in injury time in the League 1 match between Doncaster and Bury.
Bury sportingly put the ball out of play as a Doncaster player was injured but,from that,Forrester of Doncaster attempting a pass back to the Bury keeper overhit the ball and it ended up in the back of the net ! :oops:
Pandemonium,not surprisingly, followed as the referee consulted with his linesmen.
Doncaster boss,Paul Dickov,wondered if the ref could give a foul throw for what led to Forrester receiving the ball...but no ! #-o
So then Doncaster sportingly allowed Leon Clarke of Bury to walk the ball into the net for the equaliser ! =D>
I wonder if this sporting behaviour would still occur if this happened in,say,a UEFA Champions League semi final between Real Madrid and Barcelona if the scores were level beforehand ? :D

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » August 10, 2015, 8:54 am

Rangers had a comfortable 3-1 victory over St.Mirren in the Scottish Championship last night in front of a crowd of 49,216 (wheres socksy,is he back in the UK ?)....Scottish leagues 1 and 2 start today.

Been sick for a week Zid including two nights in hospital but still alive. :-& What made me feel even better is the my brother's team Hibs (Why?) lost away to Dumbarton. The Teddy Bears have sold 32,000 season tickets which is good backing from the fans. \:D/
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 10, 2015, 10:38 am

Hope you are feeling better,socksy.....good to have you back . :wave:
Certainly an excellent start for Rangers with 2 cup wins as well as their league win on Friday.....I think you will walk the Scottish Championship,personally.

But not such a good start for myself to the season.....I am rock bottom of all the 3 Fantasy Football Leagues I'm in and on IKTS my Banker was on Arsenal to win 6-1 ! :oops:
Only 37 gameweeks to go..... 8-[

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 12, 2015, 7:20 am

Cheltenham 0-0 Aldershot
Macclesfield 0-0 Southport

FC United of Manchester 1-2 Stockport
Town already a heady 17th. in the League, Macca a strong 20th.
FC United of Manchester are in drop zone 20th, in the Northern league below..

For ecological reasons only (honest :D ) I am thinking of transferring my affections to the only truly Green side in any of the football leagues - Forest Green Rovers (Stroud, for those that like a Town name to go with it). The fact that they are currently 4th. in the league having won both openers is purely co-incidental... :D

Plus the start of
Capital One Cup - First Round
Lot of results...here, for the interested..
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/results

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 12, 2015, 7:53 am

Brentford 0 Oxford United 4.....I bet Brentford are wishing that they had kept hold of Mark Warburton and Davie Weir....what a crazy decision by the owner ! :roll:
Good wins for Shrewsbury,Barnet,Luton,Notts County,Northampton,Walsall,Exeter and Burton against higher opposition.
Macclesfield 0 Southport 0 :( .....blimey,Southport were beaten 4-0 at home on Saturday.Macc failed to score in 5 of their 7 pre-season matches and are bringing that "form" into the league.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 13, 2015, 8:42 am

results.png
results.png (19.76 KiB) Viewed 3952 times
Day for first round shocks was obviously yesterday.

Not an especially good day for Celtic. They went into the game with 2 wins out of 2 while Killy were 2 loses out of 2.. :D
Hearts top the table with a perfect score. Kilmarnock still prop it up, with a -6 goal difference.

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » August 13, 2015, 11:42 am

"Hope you are feeling better,socksy.....good to have you back". Thanks Zid - finally getting there and able to partake in 'brewskies' as well.

Assistant coach John Collins at Celtic commented recently in public that no other team are nearly as good as his. Probably correct but maybe a mistake to say it publicly as other teams will raise their game even more when they play them. By the way they drew 2-2 away at bottom Club Kilmarnock last night who have a minus six goal difference and were pointless before yesterdays game. Eat ---- you w*nker. \:D/
Alba gu bràth

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » August 13, 2015, 4:50 pm

Excellent goal from a goalkeeper,marvellous :D 8)

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » August 14, 2015, 6:43 am

Of all the clubs to hijack the player my team has been after all season, Scott Allen of Hibs, it looks like he's now going to sign at the 'midden'. :evil:
Alba gu bràth

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 14, 2015, 6:57 am

Doncaster 1-1 Leeds
Doncaster Rovers win 4-2 on penalties
Another bit of a shock &, apparently, the 9th. Championship side to get knocked out already. Are they just not trying in this competition, or too early in the season for them??

The 2nd. round draw was made yesterday as well..
Second-round ties to be played week beginning 24 August:

Aston Villa v Notts County
Walsall v Brighton
Crystal Palace v Shrewsbury
Sheffield Wednesday v Oxford
Portsmouth v Reading
Hartlepool v Bournemouth
Fulham v Sheffield United
MK Dons v Cardiff
Hull City v Rochdale
Sunderland v Exeter
Bury v Leicester City
Doncaster v Ipswich
Rotherham v Norwich City
Swansea City v York
QPR v Carlisle
Barnsley v Everton
Peterborough v Charlton
Birmingham v Gillingham
Newcastle United v Northampton
West Brom v Port Vale
Wolves v Barnet
Burton v Middlesbrough
Luton v Stoke City
Preston v Watford

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 14, 2015, 7:35 am

Scunthorpe were beaten on penalties 7-6 by Barnsley,after a 1-1 draw after extra time,which is a shame as they would have got a plum draw with Everton in the next round.
It would have meant a big gate and a good chance of progression.

Hartlepool v Bournemouth,Luton v Stoke,Rotherham v Norwich and Preston v Watford good draws for the smaller clubs,also.

Return to “World Sports”