England v Australia 50 over tour

General sports news and discussions.
BobHelm
udonmap.com

England v Australia 50 over tour

Post by BobHelm » June 20, 2018, 8:34 am

A bit of a second string - as far as the bowling attack is concerned- Australian side are doing a 5 series 1 day tour of England.
England are the top ranked 1 day side but have just come off a humiliating defeat at the hands of Scotland - who totally outplayed a side who obviously thought they just had to turn up to win.

Anyway it has proved a good wake up call for the Australian tour, even if the tourists are under strength.
England won the first two games fairly comfortably, the first passing the Aussie total with 6 overs to spare & the second bowling Australia out with a couple of overs left when they were 38 runs behind.

Yesterday, at Trent Bridge, England clinched the series in dramatic style.
Put into bat they produced a new world total of 481 for 6 off their 50 overs.
The openers put on 159 before Roy was run out for 82, but that only brought in Hales who produced the biggest total of the day (147) as he & Bairstow (139) took the score to 310 before another wicket fell in the 34th. over.
Captain Morgan chipped in with a swift 67 of his own - the 21 ball half century being the quickest by an English player.

So far throughout this series Australia have been out done by the spin of Moeen & Rashid rather than the seamers. That proved the case again yesterday with Moeen taking 3 for 28 & Rashid 4 for 47.
Australia all out for 239 in the 37th. over.

It strikes me just how much the Test & shorter versions of the game have moved apart.
481 is a total that the England Test side would be delighted to accumulate over a day & a half in a first innings & rarely manage to come anywhere near!!
Both Moeen & Rashid have tried & failed as Test spinners but prosper in the shorter versions where the ability to move the ball at right angles is secondary to being able to slyly vary pace to batsmen looking for a maximum off every ball..

Zidane
udonmap.com

Re: England v Australia 50 over tour

Post by Zidane » June 20, 2018, 9:19 am

England 481-6
Australia 239
England win by 242 runs

It could have been even worse for the Aussies if Buttler had not failed,only scoring 11 off 12 balls with one six ! ;)
Its a side indictement of the game nowadays that the Aussies come all this way just to play 5 international 50 over matches plus 1 international 20/20 game....and 3 50 over warm up games against the counties which dont appear to have benefitted them much !
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 20, 2018, 10:33 am

The Aussie and other commentators in the box at the ground can make comments all they like about this is a 2nd Aussie team and selectors are just testing these young guys out to see where they fit in to the future team, pretending that the real issue is preparing guys for the upcoming 50 over world cup next year.
It's all BS. I watched a section of the England batting and the bowling was grade cricket level in any metropolitan area in Australia. We always tell the world that we have plenty of good class back up players to fill any position in the team when needed. That's proving false.
I watched a lot of IPL recently and these are the same bowlers in our team now who are on big IPL money to roll their arm over for 4 overs a night, get smashed over the fence and hailed as hero's in that tournament if they get a wicket. IPL is a circus and all about watching the ball sail over the fence and our bowlers have fallen into that Indian circus trap of thinking they are good, when they are not.
Well played England and the Aussie got what they deserved.

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » June 20, 2018, 5:47 pm

Just putting a bit of juice into the odds for the next world cup. Only have to play decent fifty over cricket once every four years. Everything outside the world cup is rubbish cricket.
Watch Me!!

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 22, 2018, 9:00 am

It didn't get much better for Australia in the next match at Durham.

Australia won the toss & (probably sensibly after England's last total) elected to bat.
They complied a more than reasonable 310 for 8 off their 50. Probably a bit below par, given that after openers Finch & Head managed to get to 101 (before Head was dismissed for 63) & number 3, Marsh, chipped in with a ton of his own.
No one else contributed much at all.

Unfortunately for Australia Bairstow & Roy seem to be on a real roll as an opening partnership. After 16 attempts together they are now just about the all time best opening partnership with an average of getting to 68.62 before 1 of them returns to the dressing room. Yesterday was one of those days when they increased the average & by the time Roy departed after reaching his ton, the game was all but won. England then lost a couple of wickets once Bairstow departed for 79, but Buttler saw them home with overs to spare after slogging 54 off 29 deliveries.

Last game in the series kicks off at Old Trafford on Sunday. I imagine that the Australian bowlers will be grateful to see home again!!

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » June 25, 2018, 5:22 pm

I suppose this partially makes up for our "narrow defeat" in the Ashes series...….. ;)

England v Australia: Jos Buttler century secures 5-0 ODI "whitewash"
By Stephan Shemilt BBC Sport
Fifth one-day international, Old Trafford:
Australia 205 (34.4 overs): Head 56, Moeen 4-46
England 208-9 (48.3 overs): Buttler 110*, Stanlake 3-35
England won by one wicket

Jos Buttler made a brilliant unbeaten 110 to give England a dramatic victory in the fifth one-day international and a first 5-0 whitewash over Australia.
Chasing only 206, England were 114-8 when Buttler was joined by Adil Rashid for a stand of 81.
Rashid was dismissed with 11 needed, but Buttler hit the next ball for six to move to his sixth ODI century.
Last man Jake Ball survived an Ashton Agar over and Buttler completed a one-wicket win with nine balls to spare.
The two sides meet in a one-off T20 at Edgbaston on Wednesday, with England then welcoming India.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 25, 2018, 6:36 pm

Good finish to the game as I watched. Couldn't believe buttler took that single near the end but his mate luckily got another to have him on strike. Well done to the poms. We hopefully have learnt a lesson from this. :shock:
I heard some commentary onoiue that said only Australia can pull a defeat from this when we had the poms almost down.
The only other whitewash I was exposed to was a drunken time on Mikanos years ago. \:D/

I do think the Poms have exposed their under belly in going for broke in this tournament leading up to the world cup next year. Playing the best you have and exposing all your trump cards, while the aussies didn't or actually couldn't show there trumps and played what they were dealt. And that's a group of guys where 5 or 6 will not be in our 50 over team in the big one. 3 front line bowlers to return and Smith and warner to walk straight back in. I really wish that Maxwell would have some consistency. He's pretty good for a Victorian.
But that's the future, only now maybe 40 overs to go and the pain of this tour will be well and truly gone for us.

goodison
udonmap.com

Post by goodison » June 26, 2018, 4:46 am

Not a bad weekend to be a Pom? WHITEWASH in the cricket, hit 6 in the football, Rugby win in Cape Town. Formula One, albeit in a German Car. Good to gloat now and again. A few threads into one! As they say, you can only beat what's in front of you!

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 28, 2018, 7:34 am

The 20 20 game didn't go much better for Australia.

Australia at least won the toss, but then rather threw away even that victory by putting England into bat.

Very in form Buttler was put in to open & made the best of it with the quickest ever half century by an English batsman off 22 balls. England may have lost 5 wickets in the innings but all chipped in with quick runs & the slowest strike rate was by Root at 145.83. A massive 221 for 5 when the innings closed.

Needing 11 runs an over was always going to be a struggle & only Finch was really up to the challenge with a well struck 84 at just over 2 runs a ball. Rashid was, again, the pick of the England bowlers taking 3 for 27 but all the England bowlers chipped in with wickets as Australia were all out for 193 in the last over.

Australia go home, England next play hosts to India for three 20 20 games - the first on Tuesday at Old Trafford.

Return to “World Sports”